Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roy Orbison

Noreen Guest
    cool Sam!

The Grim Reefer Guest
    I don't know wanything about roy, what happened in his life that was tragic?

JestersKiss Guest

JestersKiss Guest

Sampiro Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by The Grim Reefer View Post
    I don't know wanything about roy, what happened in his life that was tragic?
    His first wife Claudette (they married when he was in his early 20s and she was about 15) was killed in a motorcycle accident in June 1966 (she was not quite 25 years old). They had three sons.
    Two years later, in September 1968, Roy was on tour in England (where he was always huge) when he got the word that his house near Nashville had burned. Two of his sons were killed in the fire.

The next year he remarried, again to a teenager but this time a German girl named Barbara Jakobs. They had two sons and were still married at the time of his death. She's been a very good manager of his estate and has given a lot of money to charities and is a successful music producer in her own right, but she has a reputation (I don't know how deserved) of being the evil second-wife/stepmother. Various accounts claim that his surviving son from his first marriage and his very elderly mother were pretty much cut off from the estate and left destitute when he died even though he was worth something like $20 million at the time and his estate has probably generated at least that much since then.

pattykad Guest
    I once found interior photos of the home that Roy's kids died
    in. I've tried with no success to locate them again online.
    It was a pretty cool house for it's time. If anyone locates
    them, please post the link.

Forever-27 Guest
    Today Pretty Woman hit #1 on the charts in 1964.

Roy dying was weird, because at the time The Traveling Willberries were assembled. Tom Petty , Roy Bob Dylan george harrison and Jeff Lynn got together and made 2 albums. Roys death didnt allow him to be on the 2nd album. But I liked the band

My Mum and Dad saw him live before he died (well it wouldnt happen after it, silly me) and they sung with him non stop and were told off by people in front of them! Roy even asked everyone to sing along with some songs, they told me he was class!

BAGOBONES Guest
    Roy had incredible range as a vocalist. I have always enjoyed his music though "Pretty Woman" is probably my least favorite song by him.
    I like "In Dreams" and "Blue Angel" and 'Working for the Man".

strange

He's buried at Westwood Cemetery, in a plot without a headstone. I guess his family didn't like him too much.

slw Guest
    Has Roy got a headstone yet?

Nicki Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by slw View Post
    Has Roy got a headstone yet?

The next year he remarried, again to a teenager but this time a German girl named Barbara Jakobs. They had two sons and were still married at the time of his death. She's been a very good manager of his estate and has given a lot of money to charities and is a successful music producer in her own right, but she has a reputation (I don't know how deserved) of being the evil second-wife/stepmother. Various accounts claim that his surviving son from his first marriage and his very elderly mother were pretty much cut off from the estate and left destitute when he died even though he was worth something like $20 million at the time and his estate has probably generated at least that much since then. Quote:

I'm curious about this also. If his last and final wife Barbara Jakobs was such a good manager of his estate then why not give him a gravestone? Possibly he asked not to ever have one? Sounds like she was a Bitch to his mother and surviving son from his first marriage. Then again.....I'm sure there is a "Story" there somewhere.

My mother in law was Roy Orbison's 'paper girl' when he lived in Odessa. He went to Odessa College. I typed in his name on their website and they still have his old college transcript.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am pretty certain his grave is unmarked as per the wishes of his family.

First wife Claudette:

Widow Barbara is (obviously) second from right. Left to right, sons Wesley, Alex, and Roy Jr.

Roy and Barbara
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

More pics of Claudette:

No glasses!

The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Giada Guest
    I've surprised myself for never posting on this thread. I have Orbison on my Ipod.

For me, there are musicians who provide a great performance, and those who affect me to a point I'm emotionally absorbed.

With Roy ... I'm emotionally absorbed.

orionova Guest
    I agree. You could hear the tragedy in Roy's voice every time he sang. I honestly don't know how he managed to survive his terrible losses without going crazy.

Giada Guest
    Great pic of Roy from today's LA Times ...

http://framework.latimes.com/2011/08...inging-cowboy/

Billy Weathersby Guest
    When Whoopi Goldberg took over and became the producer of "The Hollywood Squares", she usually had a lot of rappers as guest panelists in the windows..On one show, this question went to one of the rappers, "which Roy Orbison song had the line "yeah, she's walking back to me"? The rapper thought a moment then said, "who the hell is Roy Orbison?" Whoopi said, "that's what I'm talking about, too..Where do we get these writers from?"I consider this a direct result of pure ignorance and have never cared for her or anything she has ever been in since..BTW, her show was cancelled shortly after that..coincidence? probably..Mr. Orbison was pure genius and I had the pleasure of seeing him perform at what was then called "a rock and roll convention" in Jacksonville, Fl in 1962..There were many singers there and I don't remember them all, but I do remember the Mar-keys, Bobby Vinton and the headliner being Connie Francis but the only one called back for an encore (two of 'em) was Roy Orbison who had to sing "Candy Man" twice.

20. 08-30-2011, 11:03 PM

dirk diggler Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pattykad View Post
    I once found interior photos of the home that Roy's kids died
    in. I've tried with no success to locate them again online.
    It was a pretty cool house for it's time. If anyone locates
    them, please post the link.
    Not sure if this is inside the house or outside..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roy Orbison Fire 2.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	249.0 KB 
ID:	31582  

On Johnny Cash's book "Man in Black", he describes his close relationship with Roy. Cash bought the land where Roy's house once stood (the one which caught fire and killed his two boys), since it was next to his own house, and transformed it into an orchard, in a late tribute to the boys.

The two were close friends until Roy passed. Johnny tells something funny about Roy, that by the time Roy died, both of them had a bet on whom would grow his hair longer enough to wear a ponytail before the other. Johnny said that when he went to Roy's funeral, he looked at his body and started laughing, because they hadn't seen each other for some time and Roy was in the coffin with a ponytail.

BTW, I also read somewhere Claudette had been cheating on Roy by the time "Oh Pretty Woman" was recorded. When she died, their marriage was pretty much on the rocks.

And am I the only one who thinks his second wife Barbara has a close resemblance to June Carter Cash?

philbert_wormly Guest
    Roy Orbison passed away at a hospital which was next door to my old junior high school.

I remember trying to be all Junior Death Hag in hopes of figuring out a way to see him but I just plainly did not have it in me to do it as a schoolgirl and all.

What is nice is that the local media and everyone were actually quite respectful to his family. Even his last band packed it in because he passed on and everything.

I saw a documentary on Roy a couple of years back, and it had a picture of his home prior to the fire in 1968. It was mostly glass with stone work and it looked like it had an indoor pool. In the film, one man who worked with Roy on his British tour, said Roy showed him pictures of the house to him, and he told Roy (paraphrasing here) that with all that glass and water, looks like he wouldn't have to worry about a fire bringing it down. A day or two later, the house burned down. The man got real choked up recalling the conversation.

I tried finding that picture on the internet, but couldn't find it.
    Cindy

Giada Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Weathersby View Post
    When Whoopi Goldberg took over and became the producer of "The Hollywood Squares", she usually had a lot of rappers as guest panelists in the windows..On one show, this question went to one of the rappers, "which Roy Orbison song had the line "yeah, she's walking back to me"? The rapper thought a moment then said, "who the hell is Roy Orbison?" Whoopi said, "that's what I'm talking about, too..Where do we get these writers from?"I consider this a direct result of pure ignorance and have never cared for her or anything she has ever been in since..BTW, her show was cancelled shortly after that..coincidence? probably..Mr. Orbison was pure genius and I had the pleasure of seeing him perform at what was then called "a rock and roll convention" in Jacksonville, Fl in 1962..There were many singers there and I don't remember them all, but I do remember the Mar-keys, Bobby Vinton and the headliner being Connie Francis but the only one called back for an encore (two of 'em) was Roy Orbison who had to sing "Candy Man" twice.
    Thank you for sharing your experience. What great pleasure to have been there ... and I agree with you on Roy's genius, he is a treasure.

One of my favorites is Roy and Friends

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODwdWLh1sag

(As to Whoopi, she constantly appears as one who lacks appreciation for others in the industry. The only exception ... Patrick Swayze, because ... because ... because ... she received an Oscar as a result of appearing in Ghost.)

Billy Weathersby Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Giada View Post
    Thank you for sharing your experience. What great pleasure to have been there ... and I agree with you on Roy's genius, he is a treasure.

One of my favorites is Roy and Friends

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODwdWLh1sag

(As to Whoopi, she constantly appears as one who lacks appreciation for others in the industry. The only exception ... Patrick Swayze, because ... because ... because ... she received an Oscar as a result of appearing in Ghost.)
    Thank you for the kind words..Yeah, Roy and Friends is a favorite of mine also and I have it vhs tape..Trivia: Roy once fired a band member for some infraction (can't remember exactly what) and this young man began a successful recording career as Bobby Goldsboro..

pattykad Guest
    I saw the show too where Roy was showing photos of his home and as i recall it was at that moment burning down unbeknownst to him.

I saw Roy in concert several times and had the pleasure to meet him. He could not have been nicer. A very sweet man.

SONS OF SINGER DIE IN BLAZE; HOME RAZED.
    Hendersonville, Tenn. (AP) -- Fire officials say an aerosol can -- probably containing lacquer -- probably was responsible for the fire which destroyed the $150,000 home of singer Roy Orbison Saturday and claimed the lives of two sons.
    The bodies of ROY DUANE ORBISON, 11, and TONY ORBISON, 6, were found in the rubble of the plush lakeside home in this Nashville suburb where many entertainers live.
    Orbison,who has had 12 million-selling records -- ranging from country to pop -- was touring England when the tragedy occurred. He was expected here early today.
    Capt. Bill Deering of the Gallatin Fire Department said the fire was followed quickly by an explosion which shook the large house.
    "From what we've been able to piece together, the two children who were killed were playing with an aerosol can in the basement of the house when their grandfather, Orbie Orbison, warned them that was dangerous," Derring said.
    "The grandfather, we are told, pushed the spray on the can and, to demonstrate the danger, touched his cigarette lighter to the spray," Deering explained.
    Fire shot from the can the captain said, and the elder Orbison attempted to rush the two victims and their 3-year-old brother, WESLEY, from the house.
    Panama City News Florida 1968
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

I found another version of the cause of the fire:
    The fires seems to have been accidentally started in the basement by the boys. It is suggested that they were lighting matches, which set fire to model aircraft fuel.

They boys were in the care of of Roy's parents, and they saved the youngest boy.
    Source(s):

http://www.royorbison.com/node/56
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

pattykad Guest
    One article said grandpa showed them what happens with aerosol and lighters. Thanks Grandpa. It's architect was Braxton Dixon who did "mid Tennessee modern" and the Cash house next door was also his..and it also burnt down. From the interior photos I remember it had a wall of water and it just seemed so mod for the times. There are some photos here of Braxton Dixon homes.
    http://www.braxtondixon.com/Braxton_...ton_Dixon.html

...still looking for those damn Orbison interiors.......

Everso Guest
    I remember reading the biography Dark Star. It's a real page turner (especially for 1950s/1960s music fans because it also tells great stories about Roy's contemporaries such as Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, The Beatles etc.) At one of his Vegas shows, Elvis noticed Roy in the audience and turned the spotlight on him. He then introduced him as the greatest singer the world has ever seen. And he was a phenomenal singer - my favourite songs would have to be 'Cryin'' and 'Running Scared'. (Braxton Dixon was mentioned above, from memory he was the one who had an affair with Roy's first wife Claudette)

Quote Originally Posted by D3LIVIÃ?N View Post

Roy's grave under those trees is unmarked due to the wishes of the family (I don't know why). Has anyone else ever heard that he was associated with the church of Satan or Anton LaVey? I have heard that from a few people over the years, and even an acquaintance of mine who has a bloodline link to the church claims this to be true.

His voice was not only amazing but completely unmistakable. "In Dreams" is one of the best and most twisted songs EVER in my opinion.
    All of a sudden I really want to watch Blue Velvet.
    Gotta post somebody at at the door with a baseball bat to intercept that clown. lolz

I was fan, loved his music, especially, 'Pretty Woman' and 'I drove all night' as well as others. RIP Roy.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzyChick View Post
    I was fan, loved his music, especially, 'Pretty Woman' and 'I drove all night' as well as others. RIP Roy.
    He's one of my favorites as well. I have a nice black and white poster of him in my "man cave". I remember reading in Johnny Cash's autobiography that when his sons were killed, Roy went to live with his mother and wouldn't come out of his bedroom for a long period of time. Cash was there and helped him get through it.

Roy was also present on a night in Nashville where some of the greatest songwriters in history sat together in a room and played for each other. Dylan, Orbison, Cash, Kristofferson and Shel Silverstein were just some of those present. Can you imagine being there with them that night and listening to all of these musical geniuses playing their new music for each other? I wish someone had recorded it, but The Highwaymen wrote a song about it called "Songs That Made a Difference."
    "I'm down in this valley where the wheels turn so low
    At dawn I pray to the Lord of my soul
    I say dear Lord, do right by me
    You know
    I'm tired of being lonesome, on'ry and mean..." - Waylon

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    He's one of my favorites as well. I have a nice black and white poster of him in my "man cave". I remember reading in Johnny Cash's autobiography that when his sons were killed, Roy went to live with his mother and wouldn't come out of his bedroom for a long period of time. Cash was there and helped him get through it.

Roy was also present on a night in Nashville where some of the greatest songwriters in history sat together in a room and played for each other. Dylan, Orbison, Cash, Kristofferson and Shel Silverstein were just some of those present. Can you imagine being there with them that night and listening to all of these musical geniuses playing their new music for each other? I wish someone had recorded it, but The Highwaymen wrote a song about it called "Songs That Made a Difference."
    That would have been amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzyChick View Post
    They are both great songs but my personal favourites are In Dreams, She's A Mystery To Me and Handle With Care.

I adore Roy; such a beautiful voice; such a sad life.... favourite songs are Running Scared and In Dreams ❤️

My favorites are probably Running Scared, Mean Woman Blues and The Comedians. But I really love just about everything. One of my favorites.
    "I'm down in this valley where the wheels turn so low
    At dawn I pray to the Lord of my soul
    I say dear Lord, do right by me
    You know
    I'm tired of being lonesome, on'ry and mean..." - Waylon

Loved his music. A very unique talent. What's up with him marrying teenagers?

His family did a documentary about his life. Shown on BBC late last year. It includes home videos, etc. Narrated by his son Alex.

42. 03-30-2018, 09:36 AM
    Reason
    Spam

I visited Roy's gravesite last weekend when I was in LA. Still unmarked besides a potted plant sitting next to the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Demgirl View Post
    His family did a documentary about his life. Shown on BBC late last year. It includes home videos, etc. Narrated by his son Alex.
    Wonderful documentary! Thanks for posting the link Demgirl.

Quote Originally Posted by dionyzus View Post
    Wonderful documentary! Thanks for posting the link Demgirl.
    Happy to oblige! I'm glad I came across it. It seemed a very heartfelt documentary from Roy's Boys and well done. They all really loved their dad, he must have been a pretty good father.

They also collaborated on a biography of Roy. I just finished reading it and found it very good. A lot of his history and personal life, tragedies, etc. The guy was a real old school road warrior, constantly touring for decades. He had a very solid work ethic, a true professional musician and artist. Had no idea he was and continues to be so popular in England and the rest of Europe.

https://www.amazon.com/Authorized-Ro.../dp/1478976543
    Last edited by Demgirl; 04-12-2018 at 04:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Demgirl View Post

The BBC have done a couple of docs about him. I can't remember the name of the other one at the moment but it was done a few years ago as Barbara was interviewed on it.

these holograms are kind of creepy

https://hotair.com/archives/2018/10/...entertainment/

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    Not right. Just like the waxy resurrected young Carrie Fisher in Rogue One: A Star War's Story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yj31YCa3Xw
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

49. 01-21-2019, 12:55 PM