Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Al Capone

Bidmor Guest

Al Capone

This may be a little off topic but how many remember Geraldo Rivera's blockbuster boffo tv special where he was going to break into Al Capone's secret vault...on live tv?

Geraldo...what a spare.

poppie Guest
    That was one of the biggest pieces of publicity that Geraldo has ever pulled off. A lot of us watched it, too.

kelbons Guest
    I watched... I remember! I was in seventh grade...

JGrier Guest
    I remember watching that. He went on and on about there possibly being dead bodies and cars in the vault. Big let down at the end.

Bake Guest
    The look on his face...nothing!! LOL
    I remember it

Kathyf Guest
    I remember watching that and how shocked he looked. Everyone was expecting something big.

Yeah I remember that big nothing, LOL.

knothere Guest
    i had popcorn n pop i thot it was so big n i was soo let down lol

Oh yeah I remember watching that...all the hype surrounding that. Speaking of sensaitonalist tv, how about Morton Downey Jr. the precursor to Jerry Springer.
    The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

attackatdawn Guest
    Just a side note, my neice used to work as a front desk clerk at a expensive hotel in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Mr. Geraldo Rivera checked in one time and after checking him in she politely told him she liked his show that was first airing at that time. She referred him as Geraldo (which was probably a big mistake!) He glared at her and said "That is MR. RIVERA to you!! Stuck his big fat nose in the air and stormed off JERK!!

Danny62 Guest

Al Capone

Organized Crime Figure, Chicago Gangster. Probably the best know of the 1920s gangsters, he controlled Chicago until brought down by FBI Agent Elliott Ness. Ness later wrote a book "The Untouchables" which detailed his efforts to jail Capone. Capone was the largest of the racketeers, and captured the American public's imagination as few ever did. Born Alphonse Capone in Brooklyn, New York, of Italian immigrant parents, Gabriele and Teresina Capone, the fourth of nine children. Raised in a loving middle class Italian family, he was brought up to be honest and hard working. Surprisingly unbiased for his time, he would become friendly with anyone of any race, creed or color who was loyal to him. He quit school at 8th grade, and began work for Johnny Torrio, a new breed of gangster then taking over New York. From him, Al Capone learned his trade, initially running errands and working his way up the ladder to manager. He also learned from a rough local gangster, Frank Yale, about the use of violence to build an empire, while maintaining a respectable home and social life. He married an Irish Catholic, Mae Coughlin, and they had a son, Albert Francis Capone, born December 4, 1918. Baby Albert was born with congenital syphilis, which Al later admitted he had contracted many years before, but had thought the disease had gone away when it went into remission. His syphilis was never treated properly. When Johnny Torrio moved his operations to Chicago in 1921, he brought Capone with him, and together, they built up the crime empire, concentrating on nightclubs, prostitution, and illegal liquor. His first murder occurred in 1924, for which he was found innocent when the eyewitnesses were bribed. In March 1925, Torrio quit the business to retire to Florida, and gave his entire empire to Capone. Killing other gang members to build his empire, Al Capone's violence peaked with the St. Valentine's Day Massacre, 1929 when seven members of Bugs Moran's gang were murdered. This murder brought the attention of the Federal government, who swore to get Capone off the street and into jail. In 1931, he was indicted and convicted of Income Tax evasion and sentenced to eleven years in jail. He died in his home in Miami, Florida, of cardiac arrest resulting from third stage syphilis. He was originally buried in Mount Olivet Cemetery in Chicago, Illinois.

Jan 17, 1899-Jan, 25 1947
    Last edited by firegilnotguns; 01-17-2008 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Spelling of subject's name in title (possible search confusion)

WendyK Guest
    Interesting read Danny! I haver always been facsinating with Capone being an Illinois native and a bunch of his gangster activity took place close to where I live.Their has been a book wrote about the gang connection where I live called Capones Cornfields.

scootershort Guest
    any one remember that loser Geraldo and that special about Capone's vault in an old hotel in Chicago? Geraldo looked really stupid... well more than usual.

Of all the things to nab him on, tax evasion is the charge that did him in...

His cell as it now looks on Alcatraz
    The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

marimbagirl Guest
    I have a personal connection to Al Capone....

My great-great grandmother abandoned her family in Southern Kansas, took her young four year old daughter and moved to Chicago. While in Chicago, she ran one of the "boarding houses" for young women that Capone and his men frequented. From a minister's wife to a madame....quiet a jump, I'd say.

As it looks from the outside

^ His original tombstone

v His current tombstone

knothere Guest
    they say if u go visit his grave n dissrespect his name he will appear
    no sumin i'll put on my to do list

WendyK Guest
    One of my mom's friends lived in a farmhouse in Seneca IL and it was suppose to be one of Cappone's homes/hideouts.It was very interesting inside, in the attic it had writing on the walls that said cleaned May 28 1920 etc. etc. all kinds of old dates I don't remember them exactley, and in the basement their was a cement slab covering something on the floor.We never did open it up, but always wondered what was in the hole.Their was an underground tunnel that led to a cabin further back on the property too.The house had alot of unexplainable things happen too, for example everyone that stayed there had simular dreams of an old fashion type van pulling up in front of the house and open up fire.The house was just plain creepy.

Bidmor Guest
    WendyK...call Geraldo...he'll open that slab for you on live tv!

leppchic Guest
    I looked up pictures of the Valentines Day massacre a few months ago. I can't remember where but they were easy to find. Thank God for Google! If you all are like me I need the pics!!!!!!! They were good shots too. Surprisingly not too grainy.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P84OKTUx6LY

brief clip from the "Al Capone vault" show.

Kind of funny if you ask me!!!

WendyK Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    Good Idea!!!

onehunglow Guest

Al Capones Vault

Were you there? Pricless but who had the last laugh?

Danny62 Guest
    I remember wathcing that show. What a let down! LOL

Kathyf Guest
    I watched that live. Geraldo's face was priceless.

GrinReaper Guest
    Too bad this wasn't the end of Geraldo's carrer. I don't get it why they keep hiring this living tabloid nutjob.
    He's as low and slimy as Jerry Springer.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinReaper View Post
    Too bad this wasn't the end of Geraldo's carrer. I don't get it why they keep hiring this living tabloid nutjob.
    He's as low and slimy as Jerry Springfield.
    You mean Jerry Springer?

Kathyf Guest
    Yes I am sick of him too.

there are lots of good al capone ,chi mob sites,many with photos in situ and tombstones.

mgpm Guest
    I remember that...I was in college and we had a party for it in my dorm. It was funny that nothing was there. This was back when Geraldo was more of a human being...not like he is now.

NOVSTORM Guest
    We had a home in WI. a summer home. Right down the raod was Al Capones hide out. I am part Native American and the sotries my ancestors tell are great. They loved Al. He hired them to watch his Hideout and gave them 100.00 dollars a week. My God tht was like a 1000 a week now. ANyway when the feds were going to come to the hideout and take Al away little did they know it would have been their last stand. Behine that stone wall was a walk way with holes for guns. The tribe were lined up behind that wall with loaded guns waiting for the feds. Notonly did he pay 100 a week, he bought car loads of food and clothing . He was very good to the familys and gave them work. These people lived in tar paper shacks and some still do. He made sure they had heat and food. He wasn't a racist with these people. I find it hard that he could be described as a racist. I know he was a cold blooded killer although they never proved that butwhat he did for the Indians was great.
    The Feds went thru his property with a fine tooth comb saying he had millions of doallrs stashed there. Wrong. He had a beautiful lake onhis property and the dove until the cows came home trying to find his money.
    They finally gace that p[roperty back to the family in the early 70's. You were not allowed to go near that place and they did have men with guns prtotecting the property. I know this for a fact because my Dad drove up the drive and we were forced to back out ,with a rifel in our face. When they opened the hide out again, it was a bar and restraunt, they made it out of the huge garage he had. They had suits and guns hanging on the wall that belonged to him. The house is made completely of stone and it is beautiful . All real Tiffany oil lamps , some elctric. Hard wood floors. That show geraldo did was a joke. They did find an old coke bottle LOL

lisalouver Guest
    I watched the Geraldo vault thing live. How embarrassing.

My hometown Saint Paul has a large gangster history much like Chicago. We had shootouts with Ma Barker and her boys, Al "creepy" Karpis, John Dillinger and Homer VanMeter.

Homer Van Meter, who was a cohort of Dillingers, fled here to Saint Paul the night Dillenger was killed at the Biograph in Chicago.

Later that summer, Van Meter was killed here in Saint Paul in a shootout with the Saint Paul Police that even included the Chief of Police shooting.

Where he was shot a McDonalds now stands and I remember my Dad showing me when I was younger where he was shot. My Dad was had some friends that were cops and they all liked to talk about it. Here's Homers Wiki page
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homer_Van_Meter

Anyway, I digress but I talk a lot about all the time the gangsters spent here and I take friends by the apartment where John Dillinger shot it out with the police all the time.

I love gangster stories!

magblax Guest
    He did time in Alcatraz where the "syphilis" ate his brain and he became crazy. This has been disputed since his wife never contracted the disease. He claimed to hear voices and demons spoke to him. He served the last year of his sentence in the prison hospital. Al Capone was looked at with disrespect by certain members of the New York Mafia. He was more of a thug than a leader.

Here is the cell..

poppie Guest
    When I was stationed at Selfridge ABF in Michiagn, one of Capone's nephews was assgned to the base after basic training. His job required that he have a security clearance. After the FBI and OSI found out who he was related to, he was assigned somewhere else where he would not be around any sensitive material.

PippySD Guest
    I saw on a Biography special that Capone had a great business mind. If he had been on the right side of the law, he could have been the CEO of any large corporation!

NOVSTORM Guest
    A very good read is "dillinger" "dead or Alive" Also in the 70's a guy wrote the LA times about his being at little bohemia and this man said that he was never there. It was a very informative letter and signed by John DIllinger. They did a print check on it and itwasin fact Dillingers finger prints. In the phone book the listing for the guy was I.M. Dillinger lol..I saw the article in the Times when it happened. He also went into capone somewhat in the book. I really enjoyed the book. BY the way right after the letter came out, Pervus kissed his gun. They say because they really didn;t kill JD that they made a deal with him to get out of town anmd stay straight and he did. They also say that JD was on his death bed when he finally wrote that letter to let the world know he was still alive. Did you know that his parents poured a tone of cement over the grave they say is Johns"?
    Last edited by NOVSTORM; 01-25-2008 at 03:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nytkrew View Post
    Of all the things to nab him on, tax evasion is the charge that did him in...
    And syphilis pretty much killed him.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Shano Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marimbagirl View Post
    I have a personal connection to Al Capone....

My great-great grandmother abandoned her family in Southern Kansas, took her young four year old daughter and moved to Chicago. While in Chicago, she ran one of the "boarding houses" for young women that Capone and his men frequented. From a minister's wife to a madame....quiet a jump, I'd say.
    God, I wish that my Grandmother was that interesting!

I read that at the end his thugs would still talk to him like he was running the show... even though he was sitting with them fishing out of his swimming pool (true, there are even pictures).

I didn't know that his son was born with the big "S". Whatever happened to him?

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shano View Post
    God, I wish that my Grandmother was that interesting!

I read that at the end his thugs would still talk to him like he was running the show... even though he was sitting with them fishing out of his swimming pool (true, there are even pictures).

I didn't know that his son was born with the big "S". Whatever happened to him?
    Sonny wasn't born with the big S.If his wife didn't have it then the kid didn't have it at birth. I read that Capone got it in Alcatraz. The the Govt made sure he got it and never treated him for it. It is true about him fishing out of his pool. The guys let him think he still ran operations. Apparently many still looked up to him.
    His son by the got caught shop lifting in his early 20's. He got religion and also changed his name. Burt Reynolds had his place in Miami for a few years. He lived very well for a guy that "had no money" Servants and private nurses. Maybe the mob took care of him I don;t know for sure but they did take care of his wife and kid while he was locked up.
    She was a very pretty woman.

deathhagcutie Guest
    good stuff... i would like more on him and less about heath ledger

hotmama Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magblax View Post
    He did time in Alcatraz where the "syphilis" ate his brain and he became crazy. This has been disputed since his wife never contracted the disease. He claimed to hear voices and demons spoke to him. He served the last year of his sentence in the prison hospital. Al Capone was looked at with disrespect by certain members of the New York Mafia. He was more of a thug than a leader.

Here is the cell..
    john list's wife had syphyllis and they never said if he or the kids had it but everyone does not contract std's. there some people who are immune to hiv and aids. i know men and a few women who had partners that tested positve for std's and they tested negative. i guess it can happen.

nytkrew:Of all the things to nab him on, tax evasion is the charge that did him in...
    Chicago Tribune headline after Capone's conviction on October 17, 1931. The trial was covered in magazines and newspapers all over the country.
    Last edited by Serendipity09; 07-23-2009 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by leppchic View Post
    I looked up pictures of the Valentines Day massacre a few months ago. I can't remember where but they were easy to find. Thank God for Google! If you all are like me I need the pics!!!!!!! They were good shots too. Surprisingly not too grainy.
    Bodies of St. Valentine's Day Massacre victims being removed from the garage at 2122 North Clark Street where they were shot.
    Last edited by Serendipity09; 07-23-2009 at 01:17 AM.

ManUnitedRedDevil Guest
    Final Stage (tertiary) Syphilis Symptoms
    The final stage of syphilis, known as the tertiary stage, occurs in about 15 to 20% of those not treated. It results in blindness, paralysis, permanent ulcers and insanity.

What a crappy way to die....

Northern Lights Guest
    Song May Have Been Capone's Last Hit

By DON BABWIN, AP
    posted: 12 HOURS 1 MINUTE AGO

CHICAGO (April 16) - He never sang to the feds, but it turns out Al Capone had a song in his heart. All it took was a stint in Alcatraz to bring it out. Now, more than 70 years later, the tender love song that the ruthless crime boss penned while sitting in the pen is being recorded and released on CD. And an inscribed copy of the music and lyrics to "Madonna Mia" is up for sale at $65,000.
    "It's a beautiful song, a tearjerker," said Rich Larsen of Caponefanclub.com, who helped line up musicians and singers to record it.
    The story of "Madonna Mia" begins in a cell in Alcatraz, where Scarface was sent after getting pinched for tax evasion. Capone, who loved opera and jazz and whose speakeasies hired musicians like Louis Armstrong, apparently had time to kill.
    Capone could read music and liked to play a banjo and a mandola, which is like a mandolin, only bigger. According to Larsen, who is working on a documentary about Capone's influence on music in the 1920s and '30s, the gangster begged the warden for permission to form a small band. The warden relented, the inmates sent away for instruments, and Capone made music behind bars.

Enter Vincent Casey. As part of his training to become a Jesuit priest, Casey would visit Alcatraz to offer spiritual counsel to prisoners in the 1930s. Casey and Capone talked in the mobster's cell every Saturday for two years, becoming good friends, said Casey's son, Mike Casey, a retired airline employee in Temecula, Calif.
    "My father spoke very highly of him," Casey said. "It was incredible. This criminal murdered many people, but he told me when you got to know the man in the cellblock on Alcatraz, he was very humble and polite and courteous."
    One Christmas, Capone presented his friend with a piece of sheet music. The lyrics told of a man's undying love for his "Madonna Mia."
    "With your true love to guide me, let whatever betide me, I will never go wrong," Capone wrote. "There's only one moon above, one golden sun, there's only one that I love, you are the one."
    The way Larsen tells it, the gangster who supposedly orchestrated the 1929 St. Valentine's Day Massacre â?? in which his henchmen pulled machine guns from violin cases, incidentally â?? was a religious man. So the song might be about the Virgin Mary.
    But Larsen thinks it is more likely that the song was Capone's valentine to his wife, Mae, who stuck by him, even after he went to prison and suffered the effects of syphilis, the disease that led to his death in 1947.
    The sheet music is inscribed, "To my good friend Father Vin Casey with the best in all the world for a Merry Christmas always for you. Alphonse Capone."

Casey took it home. Never ordained, Casey married and before he died in 1960 showed the gift to his son, suggesting that it may have more than just sentimental value.
    The younger Casey sold the sheet music to an auction house, though he would not say for how much. But today that piece of paper is on sale for $65,000 at the Boston location of Kenneth W. Rendell, a dealer of historical documents.
    For the past eight months or so, Larsen and a producer have been recording the song, with two singers â?? a man and a woman â?? backed by a mandolin, accordion, violin, piano and standup bass. Larsen said the CD should be on sale next month.
    The song, a clip of which was obtained by The Associated Press, sounds like a traditional Italian love song that was popular at the time.
    Capone's love of music was evident right up to the end of his life. In his research for a book about Capone, Chicago author Jonathan Eig found that even when Capone's mind was ravaged by syphilis and he was paranoid and delusional, he continued to play his mandola.
    That doesn't mean that Capone totally abandoned his preferred way of settling scores.
    "At one point he got into a fight with an inmate named Lucas, and Lucas stabbed him in the back," Eig said. "Capone responded by hitting him in the face with his banjo."
    Eig joked: "This may be the only time a gangster actually had an instrument in his instrument case."

http://news.aol.com/article/al-capone-music/431798

a great website featuring Al Capone. you'll spend hours here.

http://www.myalcaponemuseum.com/id117.htm
    Delusion. Life's Best Coping Mechanism
    Check out Floyd's new Band:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHYA5iAAJg8

Northern Lights Guest
    Al Capone's Hideaway Up for Auction
    Offered at a minimum bid of $2.6 million
    By SUSAN BALL

If you make a killing at work, you may be able to afford a killer hide-out up north.

Al Capone's former Wisconsin safe house is up for auction next month, according to the Trib, and the sellers have their eye on Chicagoans.

Seems the foreclosed 407-acre property -- offered at a minimum bid of $2.6 million- plus comes complete with its own 37-acre private lake, 8-car garage and guard tower -- isn't attracting local buyers.

Perhaps the distinction of being recognized as one of Wisconsin's best gangster-related attractions really put the nail in the coffin.

Chippewa Valley Bank Vice President Joe Kinnear says they're reaching out to nostalgic Chicago residents who may be interested in it's rich and infamous history.

The foreclosure sale is set for 10:30 a.m. Oct. 8. Contact Chippewa Valley Bank for more info.

Below, footage from 1986, when Geraldo hosted a live television broadcast showing the opening Al Capone's vaults in Chicago.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...-58083397.html

Capone has a New Jersey connection, he had a summer house in Bayville which is currently called "The Bayview Convelescent Home" near Double Trouble Rd (you can't make this stuff up).