Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: World Cup Soccer

Quote Originally Posted by Linnythepooh View Post
    ...Lots of Dutch people don't believe that the team can't beat them.

This is so ambiguous it's almost as if you're setting me up This reads as if the Dutch believe they've already lost but only if 'the team' are Brazil. Or if 'the team' are The Netherlands then they're going to win.

I've some original Leb Red and a Thai stick staring me in the face, go easy on me

Quote Originally Posted by knothere View Post
    fuk portugal they forgot how to play soccer
    They never knew in the first place LOL So not in love with them anymore or was it a Ronaldo (wanker) thing.

Quote Originally Posted by W Axl Rose View Post

I've some original Leb Red and a Thai stick staring me in the face, go easy on me
    Jealous, though if I got caught with any here they would quite literally hang me (Friday mornings at dawn).
    Last edited by neilmpenny; 06-30-2010 at 06:27 PM.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

It's incredible, but the Dutch Lion chewed up and spit out the Divine Canaries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Some people just need a high five.... in the face.... with a chair...

NineTails20 Guest
    Bye bye, Brazil!
    Last edited by NineTails20; 07-02-2010 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Because I had a brain fart......

First 20 mins the Brazilians were brilliant. When Holland leveled the score Brazil lost the plot. Very very undisciplined play and then the Dutch kept going forward. Totally rattled them. Well deserved win.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I hope that my country will beat the Brazilians next Friday.
    As nice as that would be unfortunately the Dutch just don't have the team to do it at the moment. It's up to Spain to do that.

I've put a lot of money on my predictions today so don't have a go at me Linny
    Seemingly I know shit about football. Lost a shed load of cash this afternoon as well.

Well played Holland!

knothere Guest
    yup u guessed it neil i was wankin to portugal lol

Quote Originally Posted by knothere View Post
    yup u guessed it neil i was wankin to portugal lol
    Gotta wank over something mate!

8 minutes to go, Germany leading Argentina three blot. Game over. My pick is out of it and you have to think Germany are specials to win it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NineTails20 Guest
    OMFG......Germany have steamrollered over Argentina, 3-0.

*is stunned*

VAMOS, ESPANA!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NineTails20 View Post
    OMFG......Germany have steamrollered over Argentina, 3-0.

*is stunned*

VAMOS, ESPANA!!!!
    Extra time, Germany just got their fourth goal. Argies are a rabble.

Game over.
    Last edited by neilmpenny; 07-03-2010 at 08:49 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NineTails20 Guest
    All I need is for Spain to at least twat Paraguay tonight, and I've won the pool my hubby's running in the house.

*dances*

All I need is for Spain to at least twat Paraguay tonight, and I've won the pool my hubby's running in the house.

*dances*
    Don't get too excited over Spain mate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NineTails20 Guest
    I'm trying not to.....Spain have been pretty scrappy lately. And I'm well pissed off over Fernando Torres' inability to score so far.

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    I'm gonna wind my neck in soon because this tournament has got me in circles but I'll let you into a little secret. I got Spain a while ago at 23/1 as outright (it's embarrassing how much I may lose on that) and I've got 100 quid on tonight's match at 76/1 - Spain 7-Paraguay 0

lol

Germany, Fuck. I really thought Argentina would put in the first dazzling display and overthrow a clinical game. Really didn't see 4-0 the other way coming. Kinda makes England's 4-1(2) semi respectful. Well played Germany, that was a lesson. Germany to win? Yeah maybe. Tonight's Spain display will give us more insight.

NineTails20 Guest
    Finally managed to stop biting my nails and hiding behind my cushions........GO SPAIN!!!!!!

Got a mate who is a scouser and fanatical Liverpool supporter. He has it on good form that the British sunday press will reveal today that Steven Gerard has been caught sleeping with his wife's 17 year old sister..... sounds ropey to me, but we shall see.

....... oh, and that Rooney has been busted visiting prostitutes again.

The best story today is that Maradonna went apeshit at the German fans after losing LOL.

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/wor...urn=sow,253409
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quotes of the World Cup, week 3.

"It's a good thing that France came home. One more week and they would have eaten each other. It's best to avoid cannibalism." - Former France international Eric Cantona

http://www.smh.com.au/world-cup-2010...0629-zir4.html
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NineTails20 Guest
    Got a mate who is a scouser and fanatical Liverpool supporter. He has it on good form that the British sunday press will reveal today that Steven Gerard has been caught sleeping with his wife's 17 year old sister..... sounds ropey to me, but we shall see.

....... oh, and that Rooney has been busted visiting prostitutes again.

The best story today is that Maradonna went apeshit at the German fans after losing LOL.

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/wor...urn=sow,253409

Get ready for Mancs and Scousers to even argue over that! *snort*

"Stevie shags his wife's sister!"

"At least he's not desperate enough to shag a granny!".

And I expect nothing less from Maradona; didn't he tell the press before the World Cup to suck his dick?

NineTails20 Guest
    Okay, it's started......but it's not about Stevie G or Shrek(Rooney).

It's the ever reliable (C)Ashley Cole, up to his old tricks again!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-sto...5875-22380157/

Now, this is an idiot who was married to who is, at the moment, Britian's biggest pop star Cheryl Tweedy. She's since filed for divorce and is now back using her maiden name. Not a fan of her music, but she went up in my estimation when she kicked 'ol Cashley's butt to the kerb.

The rumour started a while ago. Allegedly they have a child together and the England camp have been divided over why Gerard wasn't stripped of the captaincy, hence the bad atmosphere. The other is that his wife is also having an affair with Kris Commons from Derby. Gerard has already signed for Real Madrid and will move in the summer.

All covered up by court injunctions due to the age of the girl involved.

Allegedly.

Now, this is an idiot who was married to who is, at the moment, Britian's biggest pop star Cheryl Tweedy. She's since filed for divorce and is now back using her maiden name. Not a fan of her music, but she went up in my estimation when she kicked 'ol Cashley's butt to the kerb.
    Years ago I did a spreadsheet night course at the local technical college. I was sitting next to a guy who was at the time in jail, but they let him out in the evening to attend course. He was in for fraud. Anyway, he was living the high life before he got caught and went to the best clubs, shagging stunners etc. We got to chatting one night and I we discusses why blokes who have supermodel girlfriends screw around. The gist of his argument is that they get bored with them because generally there is not much underneath when you scratch the surface. His other point was that if all you shag is stunners, it becomes normal and it is what you get used to, so doing the dirty because she happens to be good looking is a moot point.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The rumour started a while ago. Allegedly they have a child together and the England camp have been divided over why Gerard wasn't stripped of the captaincy, hence the bad atmosphere. The other is that his wife is also having an affair with Kris Commons from Derby. Gerard has already signed for Real Madrid and will move in the summer.

Allegedly.
    Well when she comes of age it will come out then I expect.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NineTails20 Guest

Allegedly.
    These rumours have been going around for years. If you watch Liverpool's matches against Everton and Man United, you'll almost always hear a chant of "The baby's not yours" at Stevie. And while I'm a Liverpool supporter, if these allegations are true, then I can see why the England came would be divded over his captaincy; after all, isn't that why John Terry was stripped of it?

My club is up shit creek as it is; it'd break my heart if Stevie left.

NineTails20 Guest
    Now, this story's from the Daily Fail, but it covers this rumour business.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

England captain Steven Gerrard must have thought life couldn't get much worse after the team's ignominious World Cup exit.
    But last night he found himself fending off scurrilous internet rumours about his behaviour off the pitch.
    Allegations that the footballer had an affair with his wife's 16-year-old sister began circulating via text messages and emails following England's defeat by Germany last weekend.

Within hours the rumours had spread across the world through internet football forums, blogs and social networking sites such as Twitter.

Last night, the claims were dismissed as 'rubbish' by insiders - not least on the grounds that Gerrard's wife, Alex Curran, pictured below with the footballer, does not even have a sister.
    The messages, which have been received by thousands, say that England's poor performances in South Africa were a result of a rift in the team caused by Gerrard's alleged affair.
    They claim that John Terry and other players were furious that the midfielder was allowed to keep the captaincy even though Fabio Capello stripped Terry of the post when he was exposed for having an affair with another player's ex-girlfriend earlier in the year.
    Alex Curran, pictured in Liverpool this week, is planning a post-World Cup holiday with her husband

The divisions in the dressing room were so severe that the team were unable to play together on the pitch, they allege.
    The messages also claim that a 'gagging order' is in place to prevent newspapers printing the story about the Liverpool FC player.
    But no injunction exists, and sources close to the footballer have dismissed the rumours as 'utter rubbish and nonsense'.
    Gerrard's lawyer has confirmed that there has been no attempt to secure an injunction.
    In May, when similar rumours were spread online, Miss Curran, 27, told OK! Magazine: 'Steven and I trust each other. I know that there are some girls who do fling themselves at footballers, but I don't worry about it with Steven.'
    The couple have two daughters, Lilly-Ella, six, and three-year-old Lexie. They married three years ago.
    Media lawyers have warned that it is virtually impossible to stop malicious gossip from spreading on the internet, largely as a result of the growing popularity of social networking sites.
    Sarah Webb, head of media and defamation at Russell Jones & Walker, said: 'It is like a fungus. The tendrils are everywhere and so quickly that you can't stop it.'
    Last night, a spokesman for Liverpool FC declined to make any comment. Gerrard's agent was also unavailable.

After Australia lost against Germany 4-blot in the first round, all and sundry turned on the Aussie coach. His premise going into that game was one of defense, rather than a full-on frontal assult. The players and the press lambasted him from pillar to post. But you know? I think his strategy was the best. I think he had an inkling of who we were up against. Winning is luvley, but being around for later rounds is more important. Sometimes you have to take one for the gipper.

However, over the course of the tournament it has become evident that the Germans are the best and most dynamic team in the world. Their mix of youth, skill and exuberance is nothing short of breathtaking. They are clearly a cut above the rest.

Quite simply, the Aussie coach, Pim Verbeek may have had the best strategy being playing defensively to minimise the damage to the scoreline and therefore giving us an opportunity in later games to maximise our point score with a limited goal-against deficit. Cahill getting sent off was not in the calculation. However, you have to think that the referees were under instruction not to tolerate any tackles from behind and unfortunately Cahill was made an example of.

I think Germany are going to walk through this.
    Last edited by neilmpenny; 07-04-2010 at 09:39 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NineTails20 Guest
    A "psychic" octopus in Germany, which appears to have correctly predicted every World Cup game involving the national team so far, has picked Spain over Germany in the semi-final. Paul, from the Sea Life Aquarium in the western city of Oberhausen, chose a mussel from a jar with the Spanish flag instead of one with a German flag.
    The two-year-old cephalopod has become a national celebrity.
    According to his owners, he has a record of predicting German results.
    They say Paul chose the winner in nearly 70% of Germany's games during the 2008 European Championship.
    He correctly predicted all five of the team's previous World Cup games - including a shock defeat by Serbia in the group stages.
    His prognosis ahead of Wednesday's World Cup semi-final was broadcast live on German TV.
    Correspondents says Paul's plumping for Spain has caused alarm in the country, but some analysts point out that his predictive powers are not perfect.
    During Euro 2008 he wrongly picked Germany as the victor against Spain.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/europe/10521867.stm

Well done Holland. It's not over yet but they're not coming back from this.

Looking forward to tomorrow night's game. Germany haven't been tested yet and Spain haven't played to anywhere near their full potential. It's going to be interesting.

On current form it possibly has to be Germany but on potential form it should be Spain. I'm still for Spain and think they'll do it tomorrow.

When it comes to soccer, Germany is the archenemy of the Netherlands. The Netherlands lost the world cup to Germany in 1974. This championship could finally be the revenge.

You wouldn't believe the mayhem that is currently going on in Amsterdam. People are going totally apeshit!

Axl - Spain
    My pick is out of it and you have to think Germany are specials to win it.
    I think Germany are going to walk through this.

One more match to go. Come to Daddy.

The Netherlands lost the world cup to Germany in 1974.
    They lost more than that to Germany in 1940...

Spain I Germany 0

So it will be Spain vs Netherlands at the final of
    the World Cup.

Did I ever think wrong at the start thought it would
    be two teams from South America to battle it all out.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    They lost more than that to Germany in 1940...

"Don't mention the war! I only mentioned it once but I think I got away with it."

One more match to go. Come to Daddy.
    DOH!!!!

Honestly, on current form, I would be flat out picking my nose!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

mrnorrischangestrains Guest
    I've been keeping up a running commentary on Germany and the 30s / 40s since the whole thing began. So glad I'm not alone in this.

NineTails20 Guest
    Just when I thought yesterday couldn't get any better, Spain go ahead and beat Germany!

I also got a handwritten card from the legend that is Rafael Benitez yesterday; I adore the man. ;D

KarmaKat Guest
    Go Spain!!!!

DOH!!!!

Honestly, on current form, I would be flat out picking my nose!!!!
    I think everyone's in the same boat. A lot of surprises and not a full top four predicted by many.

Fingers crossed I get at least the main prediction right.

Viva Espana!

GravesEnd Guest
    Go Oranje..Go Netherlands!!!

After Nigeria was eliminated from the world cup the Nigerian goalkeeper personally offered to refund all the expenses of fans that traveled to South Africa. He said he just needs their bank details and pin numbers to complete the transaction.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lol

Kugmu Guest
    I want Holland to win but I think Spain is going to take it.
    There will be goals…

Kugmu Guest
    And look for Germany to annihilate Uruguay!

NineTails20 Guest
    CAMPEONES!!!!!

I knew they'd do it!!!

Congratulations to Spain, enjoyed all the games I watched
    in this World Cup.

France suspend their World Cup mutineers

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/201007...s-e7f0a65.html
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here in the 2014 World Cup any Country that still calls Football: Soccer
    I hope they lose every game.

Yes, also I'm talking to you Canada if we every make it into
    the World Cup.
    Last edited by theotherlondon; 06-12-2014 at 12:22 PM.

England is out of the World Cup 2014

Rosebud666 Guest
    WTF happened last night?!!! Brazil 1: Germany 7?!!! It was as if the Brazilian team never showed up for the match.

This certainly casts a different light on the US team's 0:1 result.

I had so hoped that the German side would lose so things can finally get back to normal around here. A bunch of drunken German fans driving around waving their flags and honking their horns after a victory is not a pretty sight. Definitely not looking forward to Sunday.

Looking forward to the final: I arbitrarily decided a few World Cups ago that Argentina would be the "other" team I cheer for other than the US. Having said that, I would make Germany the slight favorite.

Rosebud666 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Upset View Post
    Looking forward to the final: I arbitrarily decided a few World Cups ago that Argentina would be the "other" team I cheer for other than the US. Having said that, I would make Germany the slight favorite.
    I just want it to be over . . . it's always silly season here when the European Cup or the World is on. You can't walk 11 yards without seeing something decorated in black, red, and gold. I guess it's one of the few times when Germans are allowed to be nationalistic. You can't listen to 5 minutes of conversation or TV or radio without hearing the words "Germany", "Argentina" or "football".

Imagine a Superbowl that lasts for FOUR WEEKS! That's about the size of it.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict Argentina 2: Germany 1 in overtime. Please God, let it be so.