Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you ever feel bad for a murderer?

DisneyStacy Guest

Question Do you ever feel bad for a murderer?

I have to admit it, there are a few murderers that I have felt sorry for.

The ones that come to mind are Clara Harris and Betty Broderick.

Now, I am not suggesting that these men deserved to die, persay, or that murder was an acceptable means to an end.

But both of these women were taken through the ringer by their husbands. They had both sacrificed careers of their own to advance the careers of their husbands for the betterment of their families and both were left high and dry for younger women.

I just feel that they were driven to the edge of sanity, over a period of months or years, and I can't help but feel for them both because of what those men did to them.

Am I wrong? Anyone else feel similarly towards someone who took another life?

hoxharding Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyStacy View Post

Now, I am not suggesting that these men deserved to die, persay, or that murder was an acceptable means to an end.

But both of these women were taken through the ringer by their husbands. They had both sacrificed careers of their own to advance the careers of their husbands for the betterment of their families and both were left high and dry for younger women.

I just feel that they were driven to the edge of sanity, over a period of months or years, and I can't help but feel for them both because of what those men did to them.

I read that Betty is a bad piece of work and is mean as a snake.
    I will have to think about this question-it is a good one.=)

sunshine74137 Guest
    I never felt sorry for Betty, but I did feel a little sorry for Eileen Wornos sp?

DisneyStacy Guest
    Okay, I can see Eileen Wournos a little. She did suffer a lot of abuse. So I can see feeling sympathy for her earlier life.

It does seem different though, she had a lot of chances to rethink killing people but continued killing.

Auntie Vi Guest
    There was a case awhile back, that involved a woman who had been abused by her hubby and she killed him. He was laid out on a bed and she just closed the door and I don't remember how it was found out, but they claimed justifiable homicide, but she went to jail anyway. I was kind of pulling for her, sorry I cannot remember any other details

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    I don't feel sorry for Betty Broderick. She was wealthy even after the divorce and could have made a life for herself. She was educated, good looking, had money and a loving family (even if no husband) and she still ended up killing 2 in cold blood. Yes, her husband was a piece of shit, that makes her unique because??

I feel a lot worse for people born into poverty with no opportunities in their lives who are subject of abuse at an early age that warps them like Aileen Wuernos. There are no violins for her, but if you're going to feel bad for a cold blooded killer, it's someone like her.

sunshine74137 Guest
    Karla Faye Tucker Brown, I found her to have become sincerely sorry and no longer a threat. http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/...karlamain.html

no
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Guest Guest
    the only "murderer" I feel sorry for is my brother.... who did 12 years for accidently killing his best friend

I felt bad for Carol Carr, the woman who shot two of her sons. Both were in the advanced stages of Huntington's disease.
    I can't remember where I first heard her story, on either Tru TV or Discovery ID. The news story I attached is old. She was only in prison for a brief period and is out now. If someone can find more on her, please share. I haven't been able to find much.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...39;s%20Disease
    [Img][/img]
    "There are three things I've learned never to discuss
    with people: religion, politics and The Great Pumpkin."
    - Linus -
    It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown
    https://youtu.be/H2H0TfvNU3w

sunshine74137 Guest
    This was in Italy but I can understand this one.http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/eu...ly.alzheimers/

Fuck the legal system, to me there is a big difference between mercy killing and murder. In some cases assisted suicide should be legal and part of the hospice system.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva View Post
    I felt bad for Carol Carr, the woman who shot two of her sons. Both were in the advanced stages of Huntington's disease.
    I can't remember where I first heard her story, on either Tru TV or Discovery ID. The news story I attached is old. She was only in prison for a brief period and is out now. If someone can find more on her, please share. I haven't been able to find much.

I completely agree about Carol Carr. She just couldn't stand to see them suffer any more. She also made a promise to one of her sons that she wouldn't let him get in that conditon.
    Wanna see my grandkids?

sunshine74137 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    Fuck the legal system, to me there is a big difference between mercy killing and murder. In some cases assisted suicide should be legal and part of the hospice system.
    I believe this too, I know this happened in the US also, and that poor old man was going to spend the rest of his life in jail. That's the case I was actually trying to find, but it has been some time ago. Anyone heard of it lifetime made a movie out of it, made me cry.

DisneyStacy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica Rabbit View Post
    the only "murderer" I feel sorry for is my brother.... who did 12 years for accidently killing his best friend
    Yeah, in that case I would have a hard time calling him a murderer. A truly accidental death can hardly be called murder.

Gorey Guest
    I've had the opportunity to talk with many murderers and I do not feel sympathy for many of them. I too was in an abusive situation with an evil husband and I should've stabbed him in his sleep. I'd be out on parole by now. But, I chose to walk away. It was better punishment to him having to wake up each morning and know that the face in the mirror is his ugly puss. I guess I'm way off track now, I just don;'t feel the sympathy for the murderers. there are other ways to get back or punish a person than killing. Some of these people kill because they enjoy it. I don't think they really feel remorseful IMHO.

Go to a prison and ask everybody whose innocent to raise their hand, you'll be surprised.....

Dylgem22 Guest
    I would have to say "no" ... but I did watch a show about Aileen Wuornos and did feel sorry for the past that she had and all the abuse and abandonment she went through, but she was still a nut-case, justifying her killings all the way to the end and blaming it on the cops for her killing over, and over .. but there was a second that I just did feel sorry for her for her choices, but not for a second did I feel sorry for her getting the lethal injection ..

Other than her, I don't think I felt any bit of "sorry" for anyone who murdered anyone ...

cachluv Guest
    Ellie Nessler. Not a perfect person, she does have her problems. I can't agree with her shooting her son's rapist in the head right there in the courtroom, but I really can't be mad at her for it either.

I agree with you there. Why should someone be forced to suffer with a fatal disease if they don't have to???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsvGs...feature=colike

My own, personal, Dexter...

annannanna Guest
    I felt bad for my friend, just because i knew him for so long. I did understand that he will get what you get when you kill other people and I don't have sympathy for him in that sense. He go life in prison. I feel bad because he is taken away from us, right along with his victims

lab_rat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cachluv View Post
    Ellie Nessler. Not a perfect person, she does have her problems. I can't agree with her shooting her son's rapist in the head right there in the courtroom, but I really can't be mad at her for it either.

I think she probably did it knowing full well it was wrong, but she is a mother. I know a lot of mothers, myself included, who would certainly consider doing it.

lab_rat Guest
    I found "Dead Man Walking" to be a very powerful movie. I actually did feel a little sorry for the Sean Penn character in the movie. Do I feel sorry for the dude it is based on? No!

**Jenna** Guest

I have felt sorry for some.

No.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

djdeath-hag Guest
    While I'm uncertain about feeling bad for any murderer, I have felt great empathy for a few. No one specific comes to mind at the moment...and I am able to completely seperate those who have aided others who wanted to be released from a painful existence (mercy killers, suicide enablers) and have empathy for suicides who opt out of life without physically taking anyone else along with them.

Flowergrrl Guest

Are you referring to this Clara Harris?

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/5125231.html

If so, then yes. There is something so spineless about a man (or woman) that is completely taken care of by someone, gets to the point where they want to be, then they decide... They're where they need to be, have used the other person up and decide they're going to ditch the person that spent their life getting them there.

I hope she left skid marks.

DisneyStacy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratgrrl View Post
    Are you referring to this Clara Harris?

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/5125231.html

If so, then yes. There is something so spineless about a man (or woman) that is completely taken care of by someone, gets to the point where they want to be, then they decide... They're where they need to be, have used the other person up and decide they're going to ditch the person that spent their life getting them there.

I hope she left skid marks.
    Yes, that Clara Harris. I agree, I think he used her up and tossed her aside. I feel very sorry for her. Doesn't mean she should have killed the dude, but I still feel for her.

GrinReaper Guest
    I feel bad for those on death row and for the victims of the death penalty. Killing the killers doesn't solve anything. It just adds to the continuation of violence.

Chevyheaven Guest

Whatever your thinking of doing Disney please dont do it.

NOVSTORM Guest

I agree 100 percent. There is no way I am going to let someone lay there and be eaten up by cancer or anything else. There is no reason for a person who is dying to suffer, If a person is sick and they want to die it is thier right to die with dignity. I think people who wanto see their loved ones lay there and suffer either want revenge for something or are absolutely selfish.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshine74137 View Post
    I believe this too, I know this happened in the US also, and that poor old man was going to spend the rest of his life in jail. That's the case I was actually trying to find, but it has been some time ago. Anyone heard of it lifetime made a movie out of it, made me cry.

Doc Korvvokian (spelling) they let him out now as he is dying,

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva View Post

Excellant, excellant, excellant...........I have always found this story fascinating........I often wonder what I would have done...........she is truly a soul that has gone through hell and back.......

Smores Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshine74137 View Post
    Karla Faye Tucker Brown, I found her to have become sincerely sorry and no longer a threat. http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/...karlamain.html
    Yanno, I just saw a story on her on the Biography channel, and she is one of a very few that I believe completely changed from what she was.... I still believe she got what she deserved for what she did, but I do believe she was sincere in the end.

sunshine74137 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Smores View Post
    Yanno, I just saw a story on her on the Biography channel, and she is one of a very few that I believe completely changed from what she was.... I still believe she got what she deserved for what she did, but I do believe she was sincere in the end.
    She was so happy, and bubbly! She completely accepted her death sentance and owned her crimes. She was doing so many good works inside the prison, that it just made me sad.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Wait a minute here. There is a big ass difference between someone who kills in self defense , or rage or a cold blooded planned murder.
    Harris and Betty were pushed beyond their mental capacity for bullshit. Harris flipped out when the guy she married and whom SHe made rich by Her hard work calmy shoved her and walked away with the smirking other woman. Poof all reason was gone. Betty was not just pushed by those 2 asshole she was dragged pushed shoved and spit at. They didn't plan these things. Both went over to confront their husbands (ex husbands) and it went horribly wrong. I don't care if Betty turned into a bitch. She wasn't always like that.She had a lot of help. The human mind can only take so much before it shuts down and loses control. There are rages that overcome people
    and they do stupid things like runing a person over .shooting them ,stabbing whatever and it over before they know it . Have any of you in here during an arguement just reached out and slapped or punched someone and felt terrible guilt after wards, maybe slapped one of your kids in the face when you were angry?
    You didn;t mean to do that did you? You were angry and when you slapped that peson you were out of control. ( I am not talking about someone who beats their kids or other people because they enjoy it). There are many women in prison today for killing an abusive husband because their minds had deteriated so far they thought the only way out was to kill them, even planed the murder because in many of their cases even ifthey bad left him he would have found her and killed her. That piece of paper called a restraining order will not protect you if there is not a cop in area 1 second vicinity from where he has you. After working with the womens shelter for abused women children and men I cn see why this happens. I personally almost killed my last husband and if was not for my adult daughter I would be in prison today. I know what "losing it" means beause I didn't rememeber what happened for a while. Denial that I could go that far.
    I too lost a friend that got into a fight and threw the first punch and the guy hit him and my friend fell and hit his head on the curb. This guy went to jail for 7 years. FOR WHAT? Even tho he was my friend he threw the first punch! This should not make someone a murderer, imo he was guilty only of self defense.
    There are different reasons why people kill. If I ever get on a jury for a murder case I am going to pay very close attention to the mental state of that perosn and why this deed happened. Harris and Betty would never get the death penalty from me and I think I would have not found them guilty of murder maybe manslaughter and gave thenma lesser sentance if I had instructions that we could vote that ya. If we had to find them guilty of murder or let them go they would be out walking around.
    Most people go into deep depressions when their lives go south. They feel worthless and they are sure they deserve the treatment they get , it is all their fault. SOme people snap after years of this crap. I don't care how much money or education you have. I lthat this person was "spoiled & rich " what has that got to do with anything? Being rich makes you of sound mind after being mind fucked for years?
    Does this mean only poor stupid people kill? Sometimes I think peole get convicted because they have money.

sunshine74137 Guest
    I was visiting a church, and was chatting with a lady. Her son was shooting a riffle at the lake. (it's a big deal here to have a cabin at the lake to go to on weekends) It was something he'd done many times before. Anyway he accidentally hit and killed his dad, Who wasn't in his sight . So this poor lady loses her husband and her son goes to prison for manslaughter. I felt so sorry for everyone involved.

djdeath-hag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinReaper View Post
    I feel bad for those on death row and for the victims of the death penalty. Killing the killers doesn't solve anything. It just adds to the continuation of violence.
    Like you, I am opposed to the death penalty, preferring life without parole for those found guilty of murder. It's kind of ironic that when a person is executed, his/her death certificate indicates homicide as cause of death. I have great empathy for surviving families of murder victims....and since I've (thankfully) never had to walk in those sad shoes, I'm not judging them who feel that the only justice for their loved one(s) can be achieved through execution.

mel306 Guest
    Eileen Wornous.

Pretty much any one that has a past where you can see they were abused too and they never really had a chance to start with and then f****d up, rather than plotted and then killed.
    Last edited by mel306; 06-21-2008 at 11:46 PM.

There was something incredibly sad about Eileen Wornous. I'm not in anyway condoning what she did, but yeah, I felt bad for her.

We've had 2 murders in our family. One solved and one unsolved.

My oldest brother's step-daughter was murdered by her husband. He's in prison for the rest of his life, where he should be.
    "Dying is just nature's way of saying, hey, you're not alive anymore!"

Handrejka Guest
    I don't think I could ever feel sorry for a serial killer, no matter how abusive their previous lihe has been and I couldn't feel sorry for someone who planned a murder. If people have killed in self defense then yes I could understand that and have some sympathy.

Emma Humphreys was the first name that came to mind. It's hard to read her diaries and not feel sympathy. I know here case opened the flood gates a bit but her life was very sad. Here's some info on her for those who haven't heard of her
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2003/nov/10/gender.uk

I also feel for people who've accidentally killed. There was a case in my home town when I was two. A farmer was in his field shooting magpies and accidentally shot and killed a ten year old girl who was riding her horse in the next field. He didn't know she was there. I used to pass her grave on the way to school and I went to the same riding school years later (her mum owned it). The horse she was riding on at the tie was still there and no-one but family was allowed to ride him.I don't know what happened to the farmer.

FannyB1923 Guest
    The only one I can think of is Betty Broderick. I can see how down and dirty and tormented she was.
    She reached the place where she didn't care about the consequences to her.

If I'd been on the jury, I'd have voted her guilty, but I understand why she did it.

I also felt bad for Francine Hughes who endured years of abuse before killing her husband. She wrote the Burning Bed.
    Wanna see my grandkids?

seamuskaxen Guest
    I feel sorry for a man here in Sweden, he and his family were harrased by a gang of teenagers, the community and the police new about it, but did nothing. One night this gang came back with baseballbats and other objects in their hands, the man snapped and shot and killed one of the boys. He was tried for the murder, but he was fried of the charges, they have appealed, so it will probably be a new trial.

Boxofpandoraz Guest
    Okay, I can see Eileen Wournos a little. She did suffer a lot of abuse. So I can see feeling sympathy for her earlier life.

It does seem different though, she had a lot of chances to rethink killing people but continued killing.
    I think there is a lot to be said in answering your question right there in your post above, Stacy.

I can feel saddened by the stories of the hardships and difficulties people have been through in their lives...No one likes to hear about a person being abused, neglected, or mistreated. However, not everyone who IS abused, neglected, and mistreated turns around and kills other people because of it. For me, that's where the empathy stops.

Mammy Guest
    This is an old thread, but I thought it may be interesting to add our own opinions. I've always felt sorry for Billy Flynn who was manipulated and used by Pam Smart and she talked Billy into killing Gregg by convincing Billy that Gregg abused her and promising that Pam and Billy would be together after Gregg was out of the way.(Whew, holy run on sentence, Batman!) He will be eligible for parole in June 2015 and I fully expect him to be released.

PurrPurr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    This is an old thread, but I thought it may be interesting to add our own opinions. I've always felt sorry for Billy Flynn who was manipulated and used by Pam Smart and she talked Billy into killing Gregg by convincing Billy that Gregg abused her and promising that Pam and Billy would be together after Gregg was out of the way.(Whew, holy run on sentence, Batman!) He will be eligible for parole in June 2015 and I fully expect him to be released.
    I hope he does. He was a kid manipulated and used by that skank to do her dirty work. At least she's paying for it now.

Mammy Guest
    I hope so, too. He and Pete will both be eligible for parole in 2015 and I hope they are both released. I just love hearing Pam whine that she is innocent and will never be released and the actual murderers are going to be released in the not so distant future. (I hope they are released.) What they did was horrible, but it never would have happened if Pam hadn't planted the idea and then manipulated Billy by telling him that if he really loved her, he would murder Gregg for her. I'm glad that bitch is miserable in prison.

Wendy A. Guest
    Ok, I know I'll probably get slaughtered for this... but I always kinda felt bad for Jeffery Dahmer. I feel more pitty for his victims, but I don't think Jeffery was playing with a full deck by any stretch of the imagination. He had a bad childhood (Ok, who didn't) but I think that coupled with the mental illness really screwed him up and drove him to his actions. He didn't want to be alone. Maybe that's what I see as sad. Everyone wanted to leave him (maybe he wasn't the most pleasant person to be around... IDK) but what got me was when he was eating parts of the victims so they'd always be with him... That's a sign of severe mental illness. After being caught, he asked the Drs. if there were other people out there like him. He wanted to be studied to help others not become him. I never understood why he wasn't in a nut house type of prison like Geins was. During his parents divorce, neither wanted Jeffery and they both fought over his younger brother. Jeffery went to live with grandma. After his death, both parents fought over his ashes. I thought it was pretty damn shameful on their part. They made him the way he was, and I think had they not had their heads up their asses, one of them might have saw some of the strange behavior and warning signs and got him help, but they didn't and there were lots of deaths because of their inaction and negligence.

Mammy Guest
    I've always been intrigued by Jeffrey Dahmer. He was obviously intelligent and seemed to be as lost for an explanation for why he committed his crimes as anyone else. In interviews that I've seen of him, he seemed much more human than someone like Richard Ramirez. I think his Dad has lived with a lot of regrets and anguish for the way Jeffrey turned out. His Mom died in 2000. I've always been curious what his brother is like. He changed his name and moved away when Jeffrey's crimes came to light.

tarsier Guest
    There were a couple I knew personally but that's from knowing them. And Clara Harris is a bit of a running joke in my family her claiming it was an "accident" took real balls. Don't beat me up on this one but Scott Peterson I have to remindf myself he is likely guilty but i can't help feeling he was convicted of being a crappy husband. And Alice Crimmons of whose guilt I've never been convinced. Albert DeSalvo who was a scumbag but was not the Boston Strangler although he went to his grave with that title.