Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Al Capone

Bidmor Guest

Capone's Wisconsin hideout sells for $2.6M

Well if you don't fancy living in an abandoned missile silo, how about Al Capone's house? It's up for grabs from the bank that bought it.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091008/...pone_s_hideout

I want it

Noreen Guest
    I've been there. It was nice. It's in a beautiful part of Northern Wisonsin. I want it too!

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noreen View Post
    I've been there. It was nice.
    In Big Al's words "it's the berries".

LoveRats Guest
    I had relatives that were caretakers of Al Capone's Hideaway for a while. The owners couldn't pay them so bartered furniture from the estate instead. When I was 14, I ended up with a bed from there, and I thought it was funny to tell people "I sleep in Al Capone's bed." My mother didn't find it amusing.

Bidmor Guest
    LoveRats, cool story. Can you describe the bed?

Bidmor Guest
    Big Al's Florida estate back on the market for shy of $10M. The house was built in 1922 and Al bought it from Clarence Busch (of Anheuser-Busch) for $40K in 1928. The house has been restored to as close as possible to its original appearance, inside and out, including a black and gold powder room. Most of the original brass light fixtures remain. This Huff Post article has a lot of pix:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...#slide=1253050

radiojane Guest
    This is pretty cool: Moose Jaw is about two hours from where I live, and does a good bit of tourist business based on the "Capone Connection" from the prohibition era. There's now a filmmaker looking into whether or not my hometown was on the rum running route as well.

http://www.estevanmercury.ca/article...r-al-capone-as

Quote Originally Posted by nytkrew View Post

^ His original tombstone

v His current tombstone
    So cool to see this photo. I visited his grave in the late 70's with my mom, who was obsessed with Capone and the corresponding history. I remember the flat stone (lower photograph), except it was an older one that had been defaced. There were several deep pockmarks driven into it, and someone had defaced it by carving into it (as opposed to graffiti) "ROT IN HELL". There was a fence around the stone (but it was more decorative-type; IIRC, it was low enough to easily step over). As a kid, it scared the hell out of me. I guess they had to replace the stone several times.
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    This may be a little off topic but how many remember Geraldo Rivera's blockbuster boffo tv special where he was going to break into Al Capone's secret vault...on live tv?

Geraldo...what a spare.
    Even after all these years still remember
    the vault that had nothing in it back in
    like 1986.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

"Al really is a good boy."
    Gabrielle Capone
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    Even after all these years still remember
    the vault that had nothing in it back in
    like 1986.
    As I recall, all that was found was a couple of empty booze bottles.

Get Capone:The Secret Plot That Captured America's Most Wanted Gangster by Jonathan Eig is a pretty good read.

The control Capone had over the entire city of Chicago was mind boggling. When Al's brother Frank was shot in a police shootout, the police officer credited with killing him came to the funeral and asked the Capone family to forgive him.

As I recall, all that was found was a couple of empty booze bottles.
    Yeah, and I remember Geraldo making such an over-the-top deal about them in an effort to make that inconsequential find worthy of all the hype, lol. Probably the biggest embarrassment of his career.

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWrath of MadelineKahn View Post
    Get Capone:The Secret Plot That Captured America's Most Wanted Gangster by Jonathan Eig is a pretty good read.

The control Capone had over the entire city of Chicago was mind boggling. When Al's brother Frank was shot in a police shootout, the police officer credited with killing him came to the funeral and asked the Capone family to forgive him.
    Oh yeah, especially when Big Bill Thompson was mayor.

Looking at Chi-town today, not much has changed.

IIRC Al had a brother who was a lawman. He changed his name and never told anyone but his wife who he really was.
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

I seem to remember something about that. Lemme see...

Ahh, here we go:

Richard Hart

en.metapedia.org/wiki/Al_Capone

Oh yeah, especially when Big Bill Thompson was mayor.

Looking at Chi-town today, not much has changed.
    Yep. It's funny when tourists visit, especially Europeans who only know a few words in English...they smile and say things like, "Blues Brothers! Al Capone! Bang Bang!" Hey, at least try the pizza while you're in town!
    "We've had threads about guys fucking picnic tables, animals and dead bodies. Third boob ain't going to stop a damn thing." - cleanskull

Bidmor Guest
    Big Al's Florida estate back on the market for shy of $10M. The house was built in 1922 and Al bought it from Clarence Busch (of Anheuser-Busch) for $40K in 1928. The house has been restored to as close as possible to its original appearance, inside and out, including a black and gold powder room. Most of the original brass light fixtures remain. This Huff Post article has a lot of pix:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...#slide=1253050
    Well The Big Guy's Florida estate sold for considerably less that the nearly $10M asking price. The page link below has a short but cool vid tour of the estate (it is gorgeous!) including the pool house which Al had re-modeled into a two-story cabana...body guards lived upstairs. Of course this is the place where Al planned the St. Valentine's Day Massacre and where he later died, in one of the guest bedrooms which faced the guarded gate because by then he was so paranoid he wanted to everyone who came and went.
    http://homes.yahoo.com/news/al-capon...182844531.html

Well The Big Guy's Florida estate sold for considerably less that the nearly $10M asking price. The page link below has a short but cool vid tour of the estate (it is gorgeous!) including the pool house which Al had re-modeled into a two-story cabana...body guards lived upstairs. Of course this is the place where Al planned the St. Valentine's Day Massacre and where he later died, in one of the guest bedrooms which faced the guarded gate because by then he was so paranoid he wanted to everyone who came and went.
    http://homes.yahoo.com/news/al-capon...182844531.html
    Wow it looks fantastic now! I like that they kept some of the original decor and the structures.

Saddletramp Guest
    I would be in Heaven just to live in the pool house!

Wow, that house is GORGEOUS!! Okay, you guys: If I ever come into big money, I'm going to buy that house, and throw a party, and you all are invited.
    Neat to see how lovingly restored the whole property is. I love the modern mixed with the old. The original bathroom kills me (a black sink? ...of course!).

See what dumb asses we are? Decent job, honest, hard working law abiding citizens.

Noooooo, in order to make it you have to sell women's asses to the highest bidder, machine gun your competitors, put a ton of toot up peoples noses, fix sporting contests etc.

Then you get the real estate you covert.

Syphilis and dodgy tax practices are an occupational hazzard unfortunately.

I think it is great we put these assholes and their assets on a pedistal, what a great example we set others
    Last edited by neilmpenny; 06-27-2013 at 09:58 AM.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    See what dumb asses we are? Decent job, honest, hard working law abiding citizens.

Noooooo, in order to make it you have to sell women's asses to the highest bidder, machine gun your competitors, put a ton of toot up peoples noses, fix sporting contests etc.

Then you get the real estate you covert.

Syphilis and dodgy tax practices are an occupational hazzard unfortunately.

I think it is great we put these assholes and their assets on a pedistal, what a great example we set others
    Are you talking about mobsters or politicians? I think I know the answer.

Does anyone watch Boardwalk Empire on HBO? Al Capone is played by Stephen Graham and is one of the more interesting characters to follow on it.

The future of the show is to slowly lead up into being solely about Al Capone's rise into power.

I really enjoy the show and there are a couple scenes with Al involving his son that hit me right in my feels.

Cook County has found the autopsies of the seven men killed on Feb 14/1929

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-massacre.html

his Florida mansion is up for sale.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...5-million.html