View Poll Results: How do you feel about gay marriage?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • It should be legal

39 34.51%
  • It should not be legal

17 15.04%
  • Undecided

5 4.42%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Gay marriage, yay!

If it were any of my business which it is not I would say of course. Get married if you want to! Don't if you don't!

I'm not even interested in what goes on in *my* own bedroom much less yours.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boxofpandoraz Guest
    Speaking from an entirely American standpoint here, just to clarify that...I'm aware that we are a culture-rich group of Death Hags, but since I am an American, my statements will reflect my standpoints on the topic and hand through the eyes of one.

I live in a Nation that guarantees me rights and freedoms. The freedom of religion. The freedom to say and do as I please so long as my actions do not impede on the rights of others. And with that freedom firmly in place, I cannot comprehend why it is that particular freedom is not extended to homosexuals on a Nationwide basis.

I, as a straight woman, am not going to be stopped if I so choose to find someone of the opposite sex to share the rest of my life with. Because a heterosexual relationship is not frowned upon by religious groups. Why is this not the case for a homosexual couple who choose to do the same?

Those who claim it's a matter of morals over a matter of religion are blowing smoke up our asses. To claim that a homosexual lifestyle is immoral is to claim that those of us who agree with it are IMMORAL. I resent being thought of as immoral simply because I believe in a person's right to love and be loved by whomever they choose.

So, you don't agree with it. Fantastic. Don't agree with it. I don't necessarily agree with the idea of organized religion as a part of my personal life. Does that mean I'm going to attempt to stop those who do from taking part in it? No. To each his own. Just as I'm tolerant of those who go to church every Sunday, and am mature enough to turn those who knock on my door during the week to "share the good news" with a polite "No, thank you." Those who disagree with the homosexual lifestyle should be mature enough to turn their heads and allow their fellow human beings to live their lives as they wish.

knothere Guest
    everyone shood have the right to be miserable loljk

**Jenna** Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by knothere View Post
    everyone shood have the right to be miserable loljk
    LOL

simon69 Guest
    I'd like to have the right to marry like everyone else. Anyone want to sweep me off my feet? Id make a good husband!!

crazedfemale Guest
    I am not for gay marriage. It's purely for religious reasons.

**Jenna** Guest
    I don't have a problem with same sex marriage or even cousin marriages.

Ms. K Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by crazedfemale View Post
    I am not for gay marriage. It's purely for religious reasons.
    As long as you understand that your religious beliefs have no place in making laws? No big deal.

If you're going to sit there and tell me and everyone else here that because your religion says that being gay is bad, and for that reason alone gay people should be denied the same rights as straight people? It's going to get ugly, and you're going to lose the argument.

simon69 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. K View Post
    As long as you understand that your religious beliefs have no place in making laws? No big deal.

If you're going to sit there and tell me and everyone else here that because your religion says that being gay is bad, and for that reason alone gay people should be denied the same rights as straight people? It's going to get ugly, and you're going to lose the argument.
    I want You at my wedding!! You ROCK !!

Quote Originally Posted by derbingle View Post
    Alright, I'll bite.
    I'm against homosexual marriage. Why?
    First, I'm a pastor and can't see my way through, or around, the obvious Biblical prohibition on same sex relationships. I also am smart enough to know that many don't share my beliefs. However, I also am smart enough to know that there are all sorts of people out there that are in same sex relationships. And you won't find me saying any of the stupid shit that those who disagree with me might put in my mouth. I firmly believe that God loves all people, but that does not mean that He approves of what we do.
    From a practical perspective, it is true that I am concerned about what it may mean for me in a practical sense when, notice that I said "when" not if, same sex marriage becomes legal throughout the US. I hold a view that will be seen as discriminatory and already is seen that way by many in this forum. Will I be forced to bless a relationship that I don't think matches God's expectations for us? I simply cannot as a matter of conscience preside at a same sex "marriage" ceremony.
    More later if wanted.
    I think a gay couple probably wouldn't care to be married in your church so why should it matter to you if two people you have never met get married. They have their own belief system that works for them. Im tired of different religion's trying to force their beliefs on people through getting into the political system. Some senator from Alabama with a racist, homophobic constituency should not have a say what happens here in California. Its bad enough that the poorer, uneducated states have been electing our president.

Nice avatar Jefe.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

**Jenna** Guest
    If god loves all people,then I really doubt he cares who people marry.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyheaven View Post
    I think Richard Simmons is cool!!

Is someone paying you to come up with these comments??? If not, they should be! We need you here Chevy! Thanks!

Yea for gay marriage!

bluebear71 Guest
    My personal view of gay marriage is not important here. I would merely like to point out that I find it interesting that a forum of people that claim to be progressive, open minded, and respectful, would be so quick to pile ANY person that presents an opposing viewpoint. If you don't want the answer, don't ask the question!

Quote Originally Posted by bluebear71 View Post
    My personal view of gay marriage is not important here. I would merely like to point out that I find it interesting that a forum of people that claim to be progressive, open minded, and respectful, would be so quick to pile ANY person that presents an opposing viewpoint. If you don't want the answer, don't ask the question!
    well said bluebear...

Alright, I'll bite.
    First, I'm a pastor and can't see my way through, or around, the obvious Biblical prohibition on same sex relationships. I also am smart enough to know that many don't share my beliefs. However, I also am smart enough to know that there are all sorts of people out there that are in same sex relationships. And you won't find me saying any of the stupid shit that those who disagree with me might put in my mouth. I firmly believe that God loves all people, but that does not mean that He approves of what we do.
    From a practical perspective, it is true that I am concerned about what it may mean for me in a practical sense when, notice that I said "when" not if, same sex marriage becomes legal throughout the US. I hold a view that will be seen as discriminatory and already is seen that way by many in this forum. Will I be forced to bless a relationship that I don't think matches God's expectations for us? I simply cannot as a matter of conscience preside at a same sex "marriage" ceremony.
    More later if wanted.
    I am straight, and I do not disagee with your core beliefs, but I have trouble believing that Our Father, would even create people so defective, in His Grand Plan, as to not fit into his plan...somewhere.

We all have a place, and raised as a Christian, it is my belief that those of us who are sinners, we all are, and those of us who commit multiple sins as we all do, cannot recieve salvation.

I think that God loves all of his\her creation, and that we only have to display a good soul, and help our neighbors .

Just my $.02

I think your 2 cents is worth a million bucks Jim!
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Alright, I'll bite.
    More later if wanted.
    Hate the sin...love the sinner, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    I think your 2 cents is worth a million bucks Jim!
    Thanks, Ich!

I'm still waiting for that "branch beating", and anal assault from you and the lovely P.

I got the KY all ready...

Sam Guest
    If any of you remember, when I was a child it was against the law for blacks and whites to marry in many states.

In the 50's one of my father's cousins married a man of German decent and it PO'd my father's family. In the early 50's before he married my mother my father was engaged to a Japanese girl. The only reason he didn't marry her was because of his fear of what his family would think.
    Why is it so difficult for people to understand same sex marriages?

If two people LOVE each other then what does it matter!!!!

50% of all marriages today end in divorce, so what's so "Sanctified" about marriage anyway?

lady_blue Guest
    I'm all for it.

knothere Guest
    My uncle was a minister (passed on now) he was all for gay marriage.

mel306 Guest

50% of all marriages today end in divorce, so what's so "Sanctified" about marriage anyway?

Nothing, that is what pisses me off about this argument so much.

People today get up in front of God and/or a judge and say "I promise these things until death do us part", then when they are bored, they do what they want regardless.

Then they say, marriage is sanctified, no gays! Last I heard, lying was mentioned in the ten commandments. Wouldn't breaking vows be lying and therefore a sin?

PS I made it all the way to 36, staying single, because most of the younger people I know who got married young are miserable, my parents are miserable and everyone I know who is single or got married later, is happy!

crazedfemale Guest
    You can't legislate morality.

That being said, I work with many gay people and we respect each other. I am not trying to "convert" them into my way of thinking. However, if someone asks me, I am not going to lie. That's another sin!

mel306 Guest
    I almost forgot my favorite argument. If we let gays marry, then we will want to marry animals next.

That is like saying.....well nothing, nothing follows that logic.

I am secretly hoping gay marriage will lead to animal marriage, cuz there is this horse I have my eye on. lol

derbingle Guest
    Sure you can. We do it all the time from laws that prohibit murder to "sin taxes" on alcohol and tobacco.
    And yes it is "love the sinner, hate the sin." And that goes for everybody. I figured I'd get set upon for giving my opinions, and that's fine. But remember that tolerance should extend even to me and the other "uneducated" people (Jefe) that elect the president. BTW I have a Master's Degree.

Sam Guest
    Someone once told me at a church I attended in Fatetteville, N.C. (in 1971) that blacks could attend the church, but couldn't join because being black was the "Mark Of Cain" and dancing would lead to sex....
    Now how IGNORANT is THAT?????

lisalouver Guest
    "Morality" is in the eye of the beholder. Pure symantics.

Iris Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. K View Post

Just curious... everyone has a set of values that they live by for one reason or another... right? They use that set of values to make decisions to agree or disagree with everything they encounter... right? So, why would it be wrong to vote according to those beliefs no matter why you believe the way you do?

Question... Several people have indicated that the sanctity of marriage is decayed and therefore it shouldn't matter if a gay couple would be permitted to get married. With that train of thought... why is it so important then for gay couples to marry if it's such a pitiful representation of love and/or family? The only reason that I can think of is to file taxes jointly. Am I missing something? I'm not saying that I agree or disagree it's just that this seems to be such a big issue, I'd like to see what people think about it.
    Last edited by Iris; 05-15-2008 at 08:05 PM.

Religion is basically nonsense and mythology. Why should we let it infect our laws and government after all this is the year 2008 c.e. (not a.d.).

What I find amusing is the number of people in the senate or other government agencies that are against it for religious reasons have been married and divorced several times. If memory serves, isn't divorce a sin? Also, we have to remember that not too many years ago, marriages of opposite races was deemed immoral as well. If you are against it, wonderful! Just remember that the next time you are caught with a gay prostitute. ( I address that to people in government agencies ).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Iris View Post
    Just curious... everyone has a set of values that they live by for one reason or another... right? They use that set of values to make decisions to agree or disagree with everything they encounter... right? So, why would it be wrong to vote according to those beliefs no matter why you believe the way you do?

Yes. Everyone does have their own ideals of what is "moral".

That is why morality is subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    Yes. Everyone does have their own ideals of what is "moral".

That is why morality is subjective.
    Religious folk tend to believe in absloutes. Nothing changes or evolves. Its a simple view on life. Very comforting to the feebleminded.

Sam Guest
    Religion is basically nonsense and mythology. Why should we let it infect our laws and government after all this is the year 2008 c.e. (not a.d.).

You may be right, but being a nice human being and treating others as you would like to be treated is a good rule to live by! ????

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    You may be right, but being a nice human being and treating others as you would like to be treated is a good rule to live by! ????
    But that is not the exclusive realm of religion thats just basic respect for others. Religion has shown again and again that the golden rule is very subjective.

And one other thing, as one of those queers that ran out and got married outside of the country, one of the reasons we did it was in the event, God forbid, that I do end up back in the hospital. If we weren't married or "Domestic Partners" in the great state of New York, she wouldn't be allowed back in the ER with me nor would she be allowed to make arrangements for me after my death. Not to mention be executor of my will. Now, how sad is that?

God bless you if the thought of members of the same sex getting married makes you sick! Just please for the love of all that is holy don't expect us/me to believe that it will demean your marriage and cause the world to stop spinning. You are entitled to think whatever you want, just be repectful and remember that the site you are on is run by a homosexual. We are EVERYWHERE!!!!!! Muauuaaaaaahhhhaaaaa!!
    Last edited by joplinfrk; 05-15-2008 at 08:22 PM.

djdeath-hag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mel306 View Post
    I almost forgot my favorite argument. If we let gays marry, then we will want to marry animals next.

That is like saying.....well nothing, nothing follows that logic.

I am secretly hoping gay marriage will lead to animal marriage, cuz there is this horse I have my eye on. lol
    All in favor, "neigh" all opposed, just stomp your hooves.

I believe that the loving God who created me just the way that I am would not wish me to live a solitary life....i.e. putting my light under a bushel.

I'm GLAD that we have many viewpoints......it makes me remember to work harder to continue to project my sense of humor, my compassion, my tolerance and love.

knothere Guest
    ignorance never realy goes away unfortunatly

djdeath-hag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    And one other thing, as one of those queers that ran out and got married outside of the country, one of the reasons we did it was in the event, God forbid, that I do end up back in the hospital. If we weren't married or "Domestic Partners" in the great state of New York, she wouldn't be allowed back in the ER with me nor would she be allowed to make arrangements for me after my death. Not to mention be executor of my will. Now, how sad is that?
    You & your beloved did the right thing.....by crossing the border to marry. I wish that we could do that someday......or better yet, be allowed to buy that silly little piece of paper than male/female couples do every day all over this great land.

djdeath-hag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by knothere View Post
    ignorance never realy goes away unfortunatly
    Agreed....but enlightenment rarely comes without exposure to different points of view.

Iris Guest
    Religious folk tend to believe in absloutes. Nothing changes or evolves. Its a simple view on life. Very comforting to the feebleminded.
    I would think that a feeble mind is one that's chemically altered or defective in some way. i.e. drug addict or mentally impaired

Boxofpandoraz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post
    You & your beloved did the right thing.....by crossing the border to marry. I wish that we could do that someday......or better yet, be allowed to buy that silly little piece of paper than male/female couples do every day all over this great land.
    I, for one, have got my fingers crossed that someday that silly little piece of paper will be readily available to you and YOUR beloved, DJ.

I would think that a feeble mind is one that's chemically altered or defective in some way. i.e. drug addict or mentally impaired
    So thats most of the modern world then?
    Nice dig Mrs. Junior Archeologist.

If you do it in Canada, dj, the certificate comes in a lovely sepia tone! She has it on her file cabinet held on by a Chili's maganet and a scratch and sniff banana sticker. Oh, well.

Here's something else to ponder as long as we're on the subject:
    Unlike all other brides, I can't legally use my married name here in the good ol' US of A. If I wanted to get my name legally changed, I would have to go through all the bullshit and red tape that most people don't have to.

Iris Guest
    So thats most of the modern world then?
    Nice dig Mrs. Junior Archeologist.
    Wasn't trying to dig as you stated... just expressing my thoughts on what a feeble mind is to me. A healthy, unaltered brain functions as intended is all I meant. Just because one person has a different belief than another it doesn't make one better than the other.... just different. I have not chosen a side to this debate, simply questioning some of the statements made on both sides. It was not my intent to be inflammatory.

Wasn't trying to dig as you stated... just expressing my thoughts on what a feeble mind is to me. A healthy, unaltered brain functions as intended is all I meant. Just because one person has a different belief than another it doesn't make one better than the other.... just different. I have not chosen a side to this debate, simply questioning some of the statements made on both sides. It was not my intent to be inflammatory.
    Okay sorry. We're cool. This post of yours is probably one of the most intelligent ones in this thread.

Sam Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post

God bless you if the thought of members of the same sex getting married makes you sick! Just please for the love of all that is holy expect us/me to believe that it will demean your marriage and cause the world to stop spinning. You are entitled to think whatever you want, just be repectful and remember that the site you are on is run by a homosexual. We are EVERYWHERE!!!!!! Muauuaaaaaahhhhaaaaa!!
    How many of you lost a lover to AIDS and had NO RIGHTS or say about the funeral, what was to be done with the remains, insurance money, their belongings????

Been there, done that, took care of him, and got a letter from his family's attorney forcing me not to EVER contact the family again just because he gave me something before he died and they wanted it!

Did I read right that California has once again made it legal? I hope it will last longer this time than it did a few years ago.

That is absolutely dispicable Sam. I feel for you and do know many people who have experience that very thing. Wrong...just plain wrong!