Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mary Jo Kopechne

Mary Jo Kopechne

I realize Mary Jo Kopechne's death has been discussed at length on the Ted Kennedy thread, but in honor of the 40th anniversary of that terrible night, the unfortunate woman finally deserves a thread of her very own.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...b=n&GRid=4569&

Hard to believe she would have been 69 this year (she was a week away from her 29th birthday when she died.) Harsh for her parents, who had no other children, even if they did get some kind of payoff to keep quiet except to say nicey-nice things about the other Kennedys.

Interesting that the only pictures ever released of Mary Jo when alive were the well-known school portrait (high school or college?) and the cutout from the group shot of "boiler room girls" with RFK.

Also, did you know MJK once had a roommate named Nancy Carole Tyler, who was involved with Robert Baker, an allegedly shady Senate aide, corrupt power broker and even a pimp for JFK? The women lived in a house owned by Baker which he used for parties, and Tyler was called to testify in a hearing against him, where she pleaded the 5th. After an alleged argument where she begged Baker to leave his wife, Nancy Tyler ended up dead in a plane crash in 1965.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKtylerN.htm

So MJK could not have been a naive stranger to randy goings-on. But the way she died was truly dreadful and undeserved, however it occurred.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mary-jo-kopechne.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	15155   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mary Jo K RFK.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	15156  

Whats REALLY interesting is that a autopsy was not done on her. It was revealed that MJ was awake in the car at the bottom of the lake until it ran out of air and Kennedy did NOTHING to save her!! Then what happened to Teddy? He got his license revoked for 6 months and went on TV and talked about the Kennedy curse. His wife was so stressed out she had a miscarriage.

I wonder if any of the surviving party-goers will EVER reveal what really happened that night, after Ted and maybe even Joe Gargan passes on. Those guys seem like they will live forever no matter what, just out of spite.

Old TIME article:
    http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...1341-1,00.html

Here is a detailed analysis of the event, though one might detect a pro-Ted slant. However it does give a little info about Mary Jo's life, including the fact that she was engaged or about to become engaged.

http://www.crimemagazine.com/05/tedkennedy,1017-5.htm

But the late-evening party, with all the wives and other family members of the males conspicuously absent, and everyone drinking hearty, is just too much to excuse as an innocent reunion--- even innocent parties can get out of hand when there's too much drinking and no restraining influence.

I will concede that the drunken and dazed Ted should not have been given the sole responsibility for reporting the accident. There were plenty of people on hand who could have done so, and yet they did nothing except try to cover their collective asses. This was a royal, self-serving screw-up, even if Mary Jo could not have survived as long as it has been claimed.

You know it's bad when even Rose Kennedy questioned why the body was left underwater overnight and for some hours afterward.

It also how awful that her parents outlived their daughter by so many years in a way. I can't even imagine how it must have been for them. That whole incident was just one big clusterfuck. I was just thinking of this today and I am glad to see a thread has been started for Mary Jo.

Forever-27 Guest
    Ted Kennedy has no business being in politics still to this day. When he dies I wont gush about his long career and how great he was because he wasnt. He killed this woman and got off with no justice. His outragious story the day after it happened is ridiculas. making the miraculas swim .......hes a liar and a murderer. Had he not been married shed still be alive today. He rather sacrafice a womans life then his political career and marrage. The people of Massachuttes are morons for continuing to vote for him as a senator

Sam Guest
    They had several hours on the "History Chanel" yesterday about the Kennedy's and one segment ended by saying Ted Kennedy has been the most important and influential in politics of any of the Kennedy's.

tarsier Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    They had several hours on the "History Chanel" yesterday about the Kennedy's and one segment ended by saying Ted Kennedy has been the most important and influential in politics of any of the Kennedy's.

Makes you want to puke, don't it. I was not unhappy to hear about his brain cancer a nice slow death without dignity suites him.

It is amazing that when the car first ran in to the lake, Ted Kennedy went to get his cousin/lawyer Joe Gargan. When they came back and the attemps to save Mary Jo were unsuccessful, Gargen told Ted to report it. Ted agreed to do so. Instead, he went to a hotel and made a series of long distance calls. By the time he did call the authorities -many hours later- the car had already been reported in the lake. The rescue diver stated that their was likely an air pocket that could allow someone in the car to survive for awhile. We'll never know how long the air would have sustained Ms. Kopechne.
    I can forgive Ted Kennedy for having a car accident. What I can't forgive are his actions thereafter. Moreover, the people of Mass that regularly vote this person back into office should hold their heads in shame.
    Delusion. Life's Best Coping Mechanism
    Check out Floyd's new Band:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHYA5iAAJg8

Duke Six Guest
    I used to see bumper stickers that stated: Ted Kennedys Oldsmobile has killed more people than my registered firearm. I have always thought that Ted was and is a dick....poor Mary Jo

John Connor Guest
    Let Mary Jo's death be a lesson to all tarts.

KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

After the car went into the water, the SOB went back to where the party had been held and passed 4 goddamn houses en route. He could have sounded the alrm immediately but did not. All four of those houses had telephones and were occupied !

When he got to the house that had been rented for the party TED took aside his cousin and another and told them what had occurred. All of the women still present had no idea that there had been an accident and were not told about MARY JO. He tried to get his cousin GARGAN to take the blame and say that he'd been driving.

Three of the men including TURD, I mean TED and GARGAN allegedly tried to dive down to the car but were unsuccessful. GARGAN claimed that TED said that he'd notify the authorities.

Since it was too late to take the ferry over, TED swam across the channel to get back to his hotel.

Once back in the hotel, and back up in his warm bed he purposely called the desk at 2:30 in the morning to complain about a loud party going on in a room down the hall so that he could have an alibi for his whereabouts at that hour of the night & claim that he'd been there when the accident had occurred. The SOB spent most of the night trying to figure out how to get himself out of his mess.

It wasn't until after 10 the following morning that he acknowledged the asccident !

Shock and injury- bullshit; that sack of shit' first concern was to cover his own fat drunken ass !

(ST.) PATTY'S P-I-G

p.s. You are aware that the fat fuck also got caught cheating at HARVARD and was almost expelled ? Fortunately, Daddy Warbucks made a nice endowment right afterwards and the fat little fuck was allowed to stay and graduate on the five year plan !

Quote Originally Posted by Linnie View Post
    I wonder if any of the surviving party-goers will EVER reveal what really happened that night, after Ted and maybe even Joe Gargan passes on. Those guys seem like they will live forever no matter what, just out of spite.

Old TIME article:
    http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...1341-1,00.html

Here is a detailed analysis of the event, though one might detect a pro-Ted slant. However it does give a little info about Mary Jo's life, including the fact that she was engaged or about to become engaged.

http://www.crimemagazine.com/05/tedkennedy,1017-5.htm

But the late-evening party, with all the wives and other family members of the males conspicuously absent, and everyone drinking hearty, is just too much to excuse as an innocent reunion--- even innocent parties can get out of hand when there's too much drinking and no restraining influence.

I will concede that the drunken and dazed Ted should not have been given the sole responsibility for reporting the accident. There were plenty of people on hand who could have done so, and yet they did nothing except try to cover their collective asses. This was a royal, self-serving screw-up, even if Mary Jo could not have survived as long as it has been claimed.

You know it's bad when even Rose Kennedy questioned why the body was left underwater overnight and for some hours afterward.
    I hope that Mary Jo's last moments weren't spent gasping for air and being frightened. I hope she had passed out instead of truly suffering.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post
    After the car went into the water, the SOB went back to where the party had been held and passed 4 goddamn houses en route. He could have sounded the alrm immediately but did not. All four of those houses had telephones and were occupied !

When he got to the house that had been rented for the party TED took aside his cousin and another and told them what had occurred. All of the women still present had no idea that there had been an accident and were not told about MARY JO. He tried to get his cousin GARGAN to take the blame and say that he'd been driving.

Three of the men including TURD, I mean TED and GARGAN allegedly tried to dive down to the car but were unsuccessful. GARGAN claimed that TED said that he'd notify the authorities.

Since it was too late to take the ferry over, TED swam across the channel to get back to his hotel.

Once back in the hotel, and back up in his warm bed he purposely called the desk at 2:30 in the morning to complain about a loud party going on in a room down the hall so that he could have an alibi for his whereabouts at that hour of the night & claim that he'd been there when the accident had occurred. The SOB spent most of the night trying to figure out how to get himself out of his mess.

It wasn't until after 10 the following morning that he acknowledged the asccident !

Shock and injury- bullshit; that sack of shit' first concern was to cover his own fat drunken ass !

(ST.) PATTY'S P-I-G
    Eye wash or bleach, please! That pic will give me nightmares.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    It is amazing that when the car first ran in to the lake, Ted Kennedy went to get his cousin/lawyer Joe Gargan. When they came back and the attemps to save Mary Jo were unsuccessful, Gargen told Ted to report it. Ted agreed to do so. Instead, he went to a hotel and made a series of long distance calls. By the time he did call the authorities -many hours later- the car had already been reported in the lake. The rescue diver stated that their was likely an air pocket that could allow someone in the car to survive for awhile. We'll never know how long the air would have sustained Ms. Kopechne.
    I can forgive Ted Kennedy for having a car accident. What I can't forgive are his actions thereafter. Moreover, the people of Mass that regularly vote this person back into office should hold their heads in shame.
    Very well said, Johnny.

Duke Six Guest
    Teddy was an embarrasment to Ol Joe his whole life and Ol Joe was used to bailing his smarmy ass out of trouble. I may get bashed for this but I never had much use for his brothers either. I recently read where Bobby began screwing Jackie after JFK s death and poor Ethel just ignored it while she remained perpetually knocked up with those assh I mean offspring of Bobby s

Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post
    p.s. You are aware that the fat fuck also got caught cheating at HARVARD and was almost expelled ? Fortunately, Daddy Warbucks made a nice endowment right afterwards and the fat little fuck was allowed to stay and graduate on the five year plan !
    Kelt-I think I love you!
    I told my lawyer he's better step it up or we would both end up on an episode of "SNAPPED"

Duke Six Guest
    Im sure his nephew who got off on the rape charges at the Kennedy compound in Fla dont exchange Christmas cards either. Im trying to remember his first name but the hyphenated KENNEDY Smith comes to mind, Wait it was Willie.......The apple doesnt fall far from the tree
    Last edited by Duke Six; 07-19-2009 at 10:33 PM.

Lisamarie Guest
    Dont even get me started on the Kennedys ...what they did to this poor girl regardlss of what she was up to that night is just beyond anything !!! I mean how selfish and uncareing can you be .....

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Six View Post
    Im sure his nephew who got off on the rape charges at the Kennedy compound in Fla dont exchange Christmas cards either. Im trying to remember his first name but the hyphenated KENNEDY Smith comes to mind, Wait it was Willie.......The apple doesnt fall far from the tree

WILLIAM KENNEDY SMITH, TED' nephew via sister JEAN.

It's just too bad Mary Jo Kopechne was never really revealed publicly as a person rather than a victim.
    I now know more about Martha Moxley, who was only about half MJK's age when SHE was murdered, thanks to the internet sites put up by her family's supporters, than MJK, who lived through some interesting times and may have had stories to tell.
    I sure would have been interested in what MJK thought of her late roommate Nancy Tyler and whatever was going on at that brownstone.
    And what about the REAL attitudes and thoughts of the senior Kopechnes? They lived into the Internet era, but apparently chose not to bring up the painful past, or had family or friends do so, unlike the Moxleys.

Name:	KopechneParents.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	15174  

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    It's just too bad Mary Jo Kopechne was never really revealed publicly as a person rather than a victim.
    I now know more about Martha Moxley, who was only about half MJK's age when SHE was murdered, thanks to the internet sites put up by her family's supporters, than MJK, who lived through some interesting times and may have had stories to tell.
    I sure would have been interested in what MJK thought of her late roommate Nancy Tyler and whatever was going on at that brownstone.
    And what about the REAL attitudes and thoughts of the senior Kopechnes? They lived into the Internet era, but apparently chose not to bring up the painful past, or had family or friends do so, unlike the Moxleys.
    Joyce Carol Oates attempted to get inside Kopechne's head in her fictionalized accounting of the Chappaquidick incident, Black Water. The author takes us inside her thoughts while she's utilizing an air bubble to stay alive in the submerged car. Sad and horrifying.
    Fascinating book, nominated for a Pulitzer.
    ---

Name:	200px-Black-water-joyce-carol-oates.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	15175  
    Last edited by Jack-O-Lantern; 07-20-2009 at 11:47 AM.

Danse Macabre Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    Ted Kennedy has no business being in politics still to this day. When he dies I wont gush about his long career and how great he was because he wasnt. He killed this woman and got off with no justice. His outragious story the day after it happened is ridiculas. making the miraculas swim .......hes a liar and a murderer. Had he not been married shed still be alive today. He rather sacrafice a womans life then his political career and marrage. The people of Massachuttes are morons for continuing to vote for him as a senator
    I second you.

Lisamarie Guest
    I mean that pic of him walking its like is I am in an accident and someone is still left in there I gonne die trying to get to that person !!!! I mean what a douchbag!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    Joyce Carol Oates attempted to get inside Kopechne's head in her fictionalized accounting of the Chappaquidick incident, Black Water. The author takes us inside her thoughts while she's utilizing an air bubble to stay alive in the submerged car. Sad and horrifying.
    ---
    Can you imagine ?
    She probably had no idea how far below the surface she was etcetera ?

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    No, I can't even imagine it. It's been a few years since I read the book, but her internal monologue was along the lines of, "He'll come back for me. Just hold on, breathe slowly, he's getting help." (Yeah, right. ) And also thoughts of "what will my parents think of me?" All the while being totally disoriented, everything pitch black. Just an awful scenario--and a slow, agonizing death.

WendyK Guest
    That family is cursed! Probally because of all their EVIL ways! I'd rather go hunting with Dick Cheney then cruise around with Teddy!

Duke Six Guest
    Rather than the morons of Massachusetts who should have voted this cretin out of office over 40 yrs ago, the grim reaper will do the job for them. This clown has decimated so many lives including his former wife Joan: sp? she developed a severe drinking problem while married to prince asshole and I dont think his offspring fared much better and he has the gall to endorse the zombie Caroline Kennedy Schlossberg for a senate seat when she hasnt a clue how to put a rational sentance together. I also could never figure out why the (lawyer?) whom he married after Joan would have anything to do with this putz. I know Mary Jo was a member of a group of young women known as the boiler room girls but I always wondered what exactly their jobs were.....

The boiler room girls, as I understand, were a group of devoted (or fanatical, depending on your POV) young (and pretty) female RFK campaign workers who literally holed up in a windowless central office and stayed on the phone for hours, drumming up support for him.
    Last edited by Linnie; 07-21-2009 at 06:53 AM.

31. 08-01-2009, 07:00 PM

ChargerBill Guest

Thinking of Mary Jo

djdeath-hag Guest
    I personally feel sad for the sad & early demise of Mary Jo....and still I find it within my heart to believe that she would have some sort of forgiveness for Ted. I just have a hard time believing that those who are dead carry grudges. No one (that we've ever heard of) FORCED her to get into that car with Ted, who she had to know was not sober. That doesn't detract from the sadness of her early death. May Mary Jo Rest In Peace...and *if* I'm completely off my rocker, may she spend eternity kicking Teddy in the nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I believe that statement. Granted, he's only "important and influential" by default because he outlived his brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Six View Post
    Teddy was an embarrasment to Ol Joe his whole life and Ol Joe was used to bailing his smarmy ass out of trouble. I may get bashed for this but I never had much use for his brothers either. I recently read where Bobby began screwing Jackie after JFK s death and poor Ethel just ignored it while she remained perpetually knocked up with those assh I mean offspring of Bobby s
    Poor Ethel? There isn't anything poor about that bitch on wheels. I'm not one to believe everything I read, but I've read too much nasty stuff about that broad. Here's a great article about Miss Ethel.

http://books.google.com/books?id=VeM...gazine&f=false
    "You live alone, creating your life as you go." - Edie Sedgwick

djdeath-hag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MagneticElectric View Post
    I believe that statement. Granted, he's only "important and influential" by default because he outlived his brothers.

Poor Ethel? There isn't anything poor about that bitch on wheels. I'm not one to believe everything I read, but I've read too much nasty stuff about that broad. Here's a great article about Miss Ethel.

Thanks for the fascinating link. I'm not sure how I'd react, respond or even LIVE if my spouse were assassinated. Maybe that is just because I'm a bleeding heart liberal.....I dunno.

Northern Lights Guest

Nicki Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post
    I personally feel sad for the sad & early demise of Mary Jo....and still I find it within my heart to believe that she would have some sort of forgiveness for Ted. I just have a hard time believing that those who are dead carry grudges. No one (that we've ever heard of) FORCED her to get into that car with Ted, who she had to know was not sober. That doesn't detract from the sadness of her early death. May Mary Jo Rest In Peace...and *if* I'm completely off my rocker, may she spend eternity kicking Teddy in the nuts.
    DJ...have you ever thought of becoming a Therapist. You have this uncany ability to make sense of some of the worse scenerio's and I must say you do an excellent job. I pretty much just about agree with you every time....this being one of them.

octobersky Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post
    As always, DJ, we agree.

Duke Six Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MagneticElectric View Post

djdeath-hag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
    DJ...have you ever thought of becoming a Therapist. You have this uncany ability to make sense of some of the worse scenerio's and I must say you do an excellent job. I pretty much just about agree with you every time....this being one of them.
    I view myself more as a client of therapist...although I've dealt with more than a few who I felt lacked compassion.
    Quote Originally Posted by octobersky View Post
    As always, DJ, we agree.
    Indeed we do!

Duke Six Guest
    After reading that article and if it was true: the Peter Lawford stuff and all, I defer to you and will call all of them major F-UPS including poor ol Ethel. Bye Bye Teddy you douchebag... and Im being kind in my description.. One day Im going to get the quote thing right..
    Last edited by Duke Six; 08-26-2009 at 01:12 AM.

Albertadude Guest
    Appropiate to remark on the murderous demise of this young lady on the day that ted kennedy passes away...certainly the least classy of all the kennedy clan....my sympathy will always be for Mary Jo....I can't say much for her murderer!

c l p Guest
    the kennedy got a way with a lot becaus of money, but now he is in gods hands and he will be judged as will we all.

Gorey Guest
    And now Mary Jo is kicking his pompous ass.

STsFirstmate Guest
    No one deserves to die the way she did and nothing excuses Ted's behavior but.... I wonder about all the people who love that series Mad Men. I lived through those times as a woman and it sucked and this incident could be a plot line from that show.
    Employees who were expected to be both champaign workers, secrateries and party girls who put out on demand without raising a fuss or making issues for the guys family.
    Men were all that mattered in that world, their public reputation, their career, their family but only as their support system and outward show of their success and ability to attract a mate and sire kids.
    I am one of those women that back in the day that was almost always the only women in the meeting, at the conference, in the class at college.
    When I graduated as an Engineer jobs were divided into male and female in the Newspaper ads and trust me no engineering jobs were listed under female.
    Ted Kennedy manifested that world of white male privledge on steroids and in spite of all the great things he did politically ( and I think they were many) we should remember that it was not so long ago when women in the US were a party favor and the loss of their life was not a barrier to continued success for a man with the right connections.
    I am glad some things have changed. There is still a long ay to go.
    Regards,
    Mary

Long Gone Day Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    ---
    She is one of my favorite authors. She gets it. I've read all of her books.

RIP Mary Jo

growl Guest

Mary Jo

All I would like to say on this day of Ted Kennedy's passing is----

Rest in Peace Mary Jo

Long Gone Day Guest
    I'm glad that you posted a thread on her. It is like she didn't even exist. And, regardless if she stayed around and partied with them, his actions were deplorable. And he wasn't the only one to cheat through Harvard, or any other Ivy League school. A lot of them do. I'm sure she would have had some stories to tell. I have lived in cities that were democratic machines and in towns where there wasn't even a democratic office. Politicians on both sides are pigs, in general. I have no alliance with any political party and haven't for a long time. Because they are ignorant, corrupt, greedy, filthy, pigs. And worse - they are cowards.

Giada Guest
    Enjoyed your post FirstMate ... It truly takes an understanding of an era, (Revolutionary Road and Mad Men are good examples of an era and behavior).

As I've posted ... Ted never acknowledged the full truth of his behavior, allowed this woman to suffer and die. This prevents any feelings of compassion I would ordinarily have.

I do feel sorrow for Mary Jo ... simply a young woman caught in her, "expected role of a woman of that time."

scott69 Guest

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by ppepper View Post
    Whats REALLY interesting is that a autopsy was not done on her. It was revealed that MJ was awake in the car at the bottom of the lake until it ran out of air and Kennedy did NOTHING to save her!! Then what happened to Teddy? He got his license revoked for 6 months and went on TV and talked about the Kennedy curse. His wife was so stressed out she had a miscarriage.
    So true! He left the scene of the accident and walked by houses to return to the party and SAID NOTHING! He NEVER tried to get help for the poor woman I hope he suffered with his brain tumor and I hope he burns in hell!

octobersky Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by scott69 View Post
    So true! He left the scene of the accident and walked by houses to return to the party and SAID NOTHING! He NEVER tried to get help for the poor woman I hope he suffered with his brain tumor and I hope he burns in hell!
    He actually did tell two people at the party - one being an attorney. So he did say something. He wasn't the only one negligent in calling authorities.