Page 55 of 56 FirstFirst ... 64653545556 LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,750 of 2772

Thread: The Weirdness of WalMart

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I agree, Ria; however, it depends on why they were in jail.
    Well, yes. If they were in jail on theft charges, that would be a reason to disqualify them. But if they were in jail for a stupid reason like I was, some bitch lying on me, then that person should get a fresh start.
    "Tequila may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot."

"I just go here!"

"I am not psychic. I AM psychotic. BIG difference."

I agree, Ria; however, it depends on why they were in jail.
    Yeah - that could surely be a factor.

I've hired a few ex-convicts; one of the best employees I ever had was a guy who had just finished serving 12 years for the murder of his wife. Maybe if he had done time for killing his ex-supervisor I'd have thought about it a little harder.

I worked for another company a few years ago that actually recruited from a pool of prisoners about to be released on probation. They got people who were looking for another chance at a regular life; and they were people who damn sure had to have a job to meet the terms of their probation; so working was serious to them.

I think they also got some sort of wage subsidy from the state for a while during training so there was a small financial incentive too.

I might would shy away from people who went to jail for things like hate crimes or sex crimes committed as adults. In my uneducated opinion those types of things might indicate a deeper psychological flaw or issue than just having done something illegal; or having done something illegal as a youth. I think younger people should get a pass for making the occasional bad decision.

As for senior staff getting the hours I think that if people's hours have to be cut then maybe they have too many part time people and need to try to keep the full timers full time first. Of course; that's part of the problem with the "big box business" mentality; the less you can work people the less they are entitled to besides the hourly wage. I understand the "business sense" behind it but every employee is a person too who has needs and obligations to keep up with.

You can look at it (at least) two ways:

Keep costs down however you can including penalizing employees when you're number aren't where you want them to be, or

Get the best people you can get for a decent wage and then not have to worry much about what they're doing or how they're doing it.

Most of the places that I've worked did well not because the managers were so good but because the people doing all the day to day work were.

I learned a long time ago that if you get the right people in the right places most things will just get taken care of without the managers riding herd over everything and everyone.

PurrPurr Guest

Found on Facebook:

Today I was in the frozen isle of Walmart doing a bit of grocery shopping. A lady whose name is Sara (it was on her badge), looks at me and says

Sara: My daughter loves these.

Me: Oh how cute, you call your dog your daughter.

Sara: (odd stare) No, I mean my actual daughter.

Me: Ohhh I thought you meant your dog liked the Doggie Ice Cream.

Sara: (laughing) No sweetie it has dogs on it but it is a marketing strategy to target younger kids, but it is for humans. That's why it is in the aisle with our food.

Me: This Walmart does not have a refrigerated or frozen dog food section. I used to buy that all the time for my dog Kimbo.

(A manager is walking past the isle and I get her attention)

Me: Excuse me is this for humans?

Manager: ( laughing)No, it is for dogs although my cat steals it from my dogs all the time.

Sara: Are you F'ing kidding me all these years I've been giving my kid dog food. (Crying)Why would you put it with the human food?

Manager: We have always stored it in this section. Since it is the only frozen dog treat this Walmart carries it would be costly to have a freezer for only this product in the dog food section. Also it clearly says that it is for dogs, and it's made by Purina.

Sara was on the phone the whole time and her husband was cracking up. She just left her basket and walked out the store

4. 01-25-2016, 06:56 PM

I think maybe the "Purina - For Dogs" on the label would have caught my eye.

Good thing for some kids that they don't keep Puppy Chow anywhere near the baby food.

Wouldn't that be cute - calling your toddler a "puppy" or a "kitten"?

PurrPurr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    I think maybe the "Purina - For Dogs" on the label would have caught my eye.

Good thing for some kids that they don't keep Puppy Chow anywhere near the baby food.

Wouldn't that be cute - calling your toddler a "puppy" or a "kitten"?

Ahahahahaha!!! Yes, "Purina" would've been a dead giveaway for me.

I saw the picture and immediately guessed it was for dogs. OMG that's just priceless. Well it won't hurt her.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It probably is of questionable wisdom though to keep frozen pet food right next to the people food. That's almost like having poinsettias in the produce isle.

Keeping dog ice cream in the people freezer makes me want to barf, and feeding it to a child makes me want to projectile.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Wonder if they have it in like beef flavor - or maybe tuna or salmon for the cats?

Purina could sponsor a "taste test", "6 out of 7 toddlers agree - our beef flavored doggie ice cream treats..."

I say that if Taylor Swift can cross over from country to pop as easy as changing her underwear, that doggie treats can cross over to people food with a minimum of creative advertising; and maybe with some two for one coupons redeemable at Walmart.

I'm laughing only because I don't want to buy a new keyboard.

Me: Got to order a new keyboard.
    Sissy: Why?
    Me: I barfed on the one I have.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

See, this is the kind of stupid effer who then comes through my drive-through and asks me what milk is, or when lunch ends.... *facepalm*

"I just go here!"

PurrPurr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RiaBrown View Post
    See, this is the kind of stupid effer who then comes through my drive-through and asks me what milk is, or when lunch ends.... *facepalm*
    Also reminds me of an old commercial for Temptations cat treat where a guy is eating an "enjoyable snack" and another guy telling him there is a cat's picture on the bag. Ahahaha.

Years ago a woman wrote something like this to Dear Abby: "I accidentally made a casserole out of a can of cat tuna, and my family loved it! So I've been making it ever since--is this harmful?" I don't remember Abby's exact words, but she advised against it.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

So today was the grand opening of a Neighborhood Walmart a <1/4 from the house. This will create greater congestion in the area. Just 11 years ago we enjoyed the deer in the backyard along with the coyotes wandering through and howling. They are long gone and in a few years we'll investigate moving to the country.

For now, the new Walmart will be convenient... It smelled like new WM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviatrix View Post
    Just 11 years ago we enjoyed the deer in the backyard along with the coyotes wandering through and howling.
    That's the price of progress, young lady.

Just be mindful of, and appreciate the "trade-offs" of the matter - instead of deer and coyotes; perhaps you'll find some enjoyment in observing the less intelligent life forms that will now be frequenting your area.

Even if you don't find enjoyment there; you're sure to experience more than one "WTF!?" moment on a regular basis; and those are sometimes priceless.

PurrPurr Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PurrPurr View Post
    Yep, that's about right...even during the Christmas season, out of 30-some-odd lanes, only two are open.

"I just go here!"

That many cashiers?
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

That many cashiers?
    I went to our local WalMart a few weeks ago and my cashier only had one arm. I shit you not. I understand about having to hire a certain number of disabled persons, but couldn't they give her a one-arm type job? I mean its not asking too much that the person handling your stuff isn't going to fumble everything. She was nice enough. Maybe customer service would have been better for her.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

That does seem weird. How was she able to bag the purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by Hidium View Post
    That does seem weird. How was she able to bag the purchase?
    Well most of my items were pretty small and I helped her with anything she seemed to be having problems with. I don't like shopping, so when I go, I SHOP! I probably spent close to $300 so it took her quite a while.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

Damn.

Well - at least they didn't put her driving a forklift.

I used to work with a one armed guy who was an avid target shooter and hunter. He couldn't hit squat with a hand gun but he was accurate as hell with a rifle.

Bless her and keep her, I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    Damn.

Well - at least they didn't put her driving a forklift.

Or filling stock on a ladder.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Or filling stock on a ladder.
    I don't know - that might have given us something more to talk about here.

JimC I love the avatar you are using of David Bowie, so cool.

Everyone has a WalMart, I'm wondering... Does everyone have a Target in their towns? Another store I like, which we don't have, is Fred Meyer. I like going there when I'm in Washington State. I like that you can get light bulbs and diamonds under one roof.

navallint Guest
    No Target in my town, Hids. My county has a population of 49,000, within the city limits is 7,900. We have 2 supercenters, 2 Lowes, 2 Kroger's, and 2 K Marts. We have a massive WalMart and Sam's distribution warehouse, but the nearest Sam's club is 60 miles north. The joys of living in a small town.

I don't think we have a Target here in the boonies. We don't have Kroger or Kmart or IHOP, either.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

JimC I love the avatar you are using of David Bowie, so cool.

Everyone has a WalMart, I'm wondering... Does everyone have a Target in their towns? Another store I like, which we don't have, is Fred Meyer. I like going there when I'm in Washington State. I like that you can get light bulbs and diamonds under one roof.
    Thanks - it's just a screen grab from one of my favorite concerts - here.

There's a Target about a half mile from here and another one about 10 miles over. Kroger is the dominant grocery chain; they're everywhere here. We have a Whole Foods and another "upscale" market that has wooden floors, classical music on the sound system - I call it a place to go where you spend twice the price to get half as much. They do have some good produce and stuff though.

I'm feeling inspired to create a website kind of like People Of Walmart; only about Target. You know - one with pictures about all of the odd looking and odd acting people you see when you go shopping there - here's my first picture of the crazy goings on at Target:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	target.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	53379

Crazy, crazy stuff there...

PurrPurr Guest
    Seems Walmart is the most popular grocery store in many states:

The Most Popular Grocery Store in Every State

A really nice Mexican market just opened, they were giving samples of delicious stuff. The bakery is amazing, and they have a restaurant inside, so you can pull your cart over and have a taco. I got a big bag of Jasmine rice for $4.99 . It's $7.99 at Ralphs.

Somewhat misleading since King Soopers ( Colorado ), Smith's ( Nevada ) and Fry's ( Arizona ) are actually a part of the Kroger family meaning one can buy all of their favorite Kroger brands in those stores and your Kroger club card in Ohio is just as good to use in those stores too even if the store does not call themselves well Kroger. Some years back I can remember the uproar when Walmart had plans on opening up in a neighborhood in Denver. The locals of that neighborhood had stopped it as they did with Target years before. Reason ?? They wanted a local chain so King Soopers ended up building there. One of the local TV stations more/less said "..now what a minute !!" and pointed out that King Soopers is Kroger and that Kroger is hardly a local Colorado company since they are based in Cincinnati, Ohio. I guess the locals figured that since despite being Kroger at least King Soopers is a local name in Colorado anyway so they got a pass.

I am a bit surprised that Walmart is popular in California since I would had figured Ralph's and Vons would had been bigger. Then again Vons is part of Safeway/Albertson's now and Ralph's had join the Kroger family years ago.
    Last edited by choff; 02-12-2016 at 08:26 PM.

WalMart is popular because you can get food, but you can also go look at shoes and clothes and even jewelry. Plus there is the people watching!

navallint Guest
    Hum, in KY it's Save A Lot. I'm skeptical.

There was a time, and may still be, that you paid like 8 bucks for a small pack of ground beef at Kroger and 4 or 5 for a larger one at Walmart. There is a difference. Of course Save A Lot might be cheaper. There's a market in another city where they sell just out of date stuff that are still good that is way cheap. Never had any problem with the meat. The bodegas are cheaper on meat than any supermarket I've ever bought from and the quality can't be beat.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

We hit our local Wal Mart around 0230 last night. All you have to do is watch out for the stockers. Night Owl shopping is the best.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

I didn't take the local prices into consideration. The west coast is more expensive than the mid-west, I've heard. And people who have moved to Hawaii are stunned by the grocery prices. I knew someone who had their parents send them cereal and toilet paper, of course they could have just been working the parents for free groceries. Anything is cheaper if the parents pay for it. Has anyone noticed that gas prices are lower? We have a WalMart with gas pumps, my huz paid $2.15 a gallon but he said that was really low.

I'm in Missouri and I for one prefer to go to HyVee. Hubby prefers Price Chopper. I only buy stuff like pasta, cereal, bottled soda, paper towels/toilet paper, or cleaning supplies at Walmart. Their meat is higher-priced than HyVee AND Price Chopper. For the price of ONE pack of meat there, I can get a pack of chicken AND a pack of pork chops at HyVee. Produce is iffy.

There was a time, and may still be, that you paid like 8 bucks for a small pack of ground beef at Kroger and 4 or 5 for a larger one at Walmart. There is a difference. Of course Save A Lot might be cheaper. There's a market in another city where they sell just out of date stuff that are still good that is way cheap. Never had any problem with the meat. The bodegas are cheaper on meat than any supermarket I've ever bought from and the quality can't be beat.
    Here the grades of the ground beef determine the price. 93/7 is going to be the highest priced. I usually buy 85/15 or 80/20 because you want a little bit of the fat for flavor. I never buy anything below 80/20. HyVee will run 75/25 super-cheap sometimes but I don't buy it. When I buy steak, I almost always buy it in one ginormous piece for under $10 and portion it up myself before I grill it.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    We hit our local Wal Mart around 0230 last night. All you have to do is watch out for the stockers. Night Owl shopping is the best.
    Especially for Christmas shopping. Lines are nonexistent. Getting help in the electronics department with stuff in the locked cases is damn near impossible no matter WHAT time of day you go, IMO.

I didn't take the local prices into consideration. The west coast is more expensive than the mid-west, I've heard. And people who have moved to Hawaii are stunned by the grocery prices. I knew someone who had their parents send them cereal and toilet paper, of course they could have just been working the parents for free groceries. Anything is cheaper if the parents pay for it. Has anyone noticed that gas prices are lower? We have a WalMart with gas pumps, my huz paid $2.15 a gallon but he said that was really low.
    Gas here is close around $1.25 or so a gallon, there's one place in the KC area with gas at a dollar a gallon. But yes, I notice price differences between here and Kansas, between HyVee where I live and the Aldi where my parents shop. I don't have a problem buying store-brand in some things, there are some that I prefer to be name brand. Spices, baking supplies, feminine hygiene stuff, shampoo/conditioner. "Girl stuff" HAS to be name-brand. Off-brand just doesn't work very well, IMO.

"I just go here!"

The last time I looked gas prices here were below 2 bucks.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

navallint Guest
    Gas is cheap around these parts. 1.25 at Shell about a quarter mile from me, but further down I-75 they have gas wars, son bought if for 95 cents a gallon.
    because I seldom get out, my daughter does the grocery shopping, she lives with me. She goes to save a lot monthly to stock up on meat and can goods. She goes once a week to either Krogers of WalMart for fresh veggies and fruit.

It was $1.13 yesterday morning and within half an hour it went up to $1.29. Still low by most standards.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    I agree with ya however unfortunately depending on where one lives night owl shopping in a store is slowly becoming a thing of past unless its something like Seven Eleven and the like. In my neck of the woods many grocery stores are already starting to close at 11pm if not midnight and the ones that are still open all night including Walmart are giving serious thoughts at closing at midnight too. When I was visiting family in Denver last summer I was shocked at the number of grocery stories including a number of Walmarts that are no longer open all night. My cousin actually made a somewhat of a joke about that saying how funny it is that she can order BBQ ribs to be delivered to her condo at 4 AM but can't go to the grocery store since all the ones near her are closed at that time.
    Last edited by choff; 02-18-2016 at 07:43 PM.

navallint Guest
    The teenagers in my area have nothing better to do then go to Walmart at night. The Baptist and Holy Rollers won't allow recreational places because it's a sin if a teenager is happy and can express themselves through dance, skating, bowling, etc., so they go to WalMart where they congregate in the parking lot and building. Last time I went, about 4 years ago, the goth kids creeped me out by following me through the the store. I knew they were just being kids, but to have 6 young men in black dusters walking behind you for an hour was intimidating. I doubt they will close the store at 11 here.

Every once in a while, you'll hear about someone using a WalMart to cook meth. That always makes me laugh. They'll pick a storage room and then go shopping. It's weird how nobody notices this happening.

I was surprised that Walmart was most popular in CA too, I also would have thought Ralph's or Vons. When I lived in L.A. there wasn't even a Walmart conveniently located. I'm not surprised it's Cub here, we have many more Cubs than Walmarts, and Jerry's Supermarkets (who owns Cub) owns nearly ever other chain besides Walmart. We just got HyVee in the area, but there are only 3 so far and they aren't that close to me. I can't wait to try it though. I hope their cake is good. I love cake, right now Costco is my favorite but I don't have a membership there.

We have lots of WalMarts now... sometimes they even share a parking lot with another big store, like a Target. There are still Vons markets, but Ralphs seems to have the most stores. I like Stater Brothers, it has the best meat department and bakery. We also have Trader Joe's - which is popular with the anti-GMO oro-organic crowd. It's more expensive, of course.
    I've been noticing in all the super markets, people feel free to bring their dogs shopping with them. These are just pets, not service dogs. There are signs on the doors about it being a crime to pass your dog off as a service animal.

I've been noticing in all the super markets, people feel free to bring their dogs shopping with them. These are just pets, not service dogs. There are signs on the doors about it being a crime to pass your dog off as a service animal.

This is actually a growing problem especially in places where there is such a law on the books but it's not enforced. Denver, Colorado is one such place. A few years ago I was at a bar only to see a guy near me drinking a beer and playing with his pet tarantula spider. One BIG spider !! I told the bar manager about it only to hear "..well that is his service animal !!". OK just how can a tarantula be a service animal ?? I then called up the Denver police and they told me that while such an animal is not considered a service animal they will not get involved.

OMG Choff! Was the spider wearing a little 'service animal' vest? That takes the cake. People think they are so special and entitled that rules do not apply to them.

Haunting Pictures of a Walmart Store's Last Day

GOD IS NOT DEAD

OMG Choff! Was the spider wearing a little 'service animal' vest? That takes the cake. People think they are so special and entitled that rules do not apply to them.
    LOL..no actually. He just let the spider roam around on his head and up & down his arms. VERY creepy !! Can't fault the guy though especially if one is in a city ( like Denver ) who for one reason or another will NOT enforce the laws on this sort of thing and of course no doubt many will take advantage of that. Geeeee I probably could get away in taking a snake into Safeway...but then again as crazy as Denver is I am sure it had been done before.

More like a local merchants' dream.

How often does that happen?
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.