Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roy Orbison

Roy Orbison

Any fans of Roy in the house? I had the honor of seeing him live shortly before he died in 1988.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

SuburbanDeathHag Guest
    I love Roy! I like the b/w concert they show on PBS once in a while. K D Lang was one of his back up singers. He was/is one of my favorites. So cool you got to see him! RIP Roy!! I remember when he died. Made me sad.

He had such a tragic life with his first wife and kids dying like they did, and was brave enough to keep his head up and keep on performing. Most people would have given up - but not Roy!

onehunglow Guest
    Merssssssy. Love play his stuff. His vocal range was unreal.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    Any fans of Roy in the house? I had the honor of seeing him live shortly before he died in 1988.
    Great voice, love his stuff.

RoRo Guest
    Roy was a great talent and Lordy the tragedy in his life!

I love Roy Orbison! Does anyone know why, after all these years, his grave is still unmarked? Makes me feel rather sad there's nothing to mark where he rests.

Morbid1 Guest
    Simply a incredible voice! A sad life for sure,but I think he told
    his story in his music,a very giving man..a true performer!

Rest in peace Roy!

-Morbid1

Jersey Girl Guest
    Ahhhhh, Lefty Wilbury. *Sigh*
    I adore Roy... AND, we share the same birthday, so you KNOW he was a dear old soul .
    "Grrrrrrrrrrrrr".. who growled better than Roy? No one!

D3LIVIĆ?N Guest
    Roy's grave under those trees is unmarked due to the wishes of the family (I don't know why). Has anyone else ever heard that he was associated with the church of Satan or Anton LaVey? I have heard that from a few people over the years, and even an acquaintance of mine who has a bloodline link to the church claims this to be true.

His voice was not only amazing but completely unmistakable. "In Dreams" is one of the best and most twisted songs EVER in my opinion.
    All of a sudden I really want to watch Blue Velvet.
    Last edited by D3LIVIĆ?N; 10-19-2007 at 09:58 AM.

Harry in Connecticut Guest
    On my drive to work, not a week goes by that I don't hear "Oh, Pretty Woman"

I watched "A Black And White Night" a few times. He seemed like he was very shy about talking to the audience, but he rocked.

RubySlippers Guest
    Chris Isaak was in town this summer and he did some of his stuff. Chris said he was one of the most genuine people in the "business" he ever met. He has a "Best of..." cd that has Roy covers. Beautiful.

Danse Macabre Guest
    Roy was the GREATEST!
    I just love his voice and songs. It's one of the few voices that bring tears to my eyes everytime I listen to him.
    In Dreams is also one of my all times favorites! =]

I saw the Beach Boys twice (maybe like 86-87 and 88-89). They came again in 87-88 and I decided I just saw them in the previous year, I didn't need to see them again. That was the year they toured with Roy and it turned out that he died the next year. I am still kicking myself over not seeing him.
    The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

knothere Guest
    kd lang is a beautiful woman
    i met her so nanananana

16. 10-20-2007, 01:10 PM

Morrissey Guest
    I love his music. His son apparently went on to be a musician as well. (He's in a L.A. based band, last I checked...)

Embarrassingly enough, I went on thinking he was blind until about a month ago. My dad dispelled that rumour and I felt like a big idiot.

Bee1001 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
    His son apparently went on to be a musician as well. (He's in a L.A. based band, last I checked...)

His son Alex is the drummer for the band Whitestarr.

Morrissey Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bee1001 View Post
    His son Alex is the drummer for the band Whitestarr.

Yeah, that's it -- the one with that Cisco Adler guy.

Thanks.

Bee1001 Guest
    Yeah, that's it -- the one with that Cisco Adler guy.

Thanks.

Yes, Mr. Saggy Balls. God, that picture scarred me for life.

Quote Originally Posted by JayneFan View Post
    I like several songs by Roy, but my favorite is "You Got It."
    That is an awesome song! I love Mystery Girl from that album, too.

Bee1001 Guest
    My favorite Roy song has always been "Crying".

It is absolutely beautiful - isn't it?!

RockyM90 Guest
    "You got it" is also 1 of my favorite Roy tunes. I especially liked his work with the Traveling Wilbury's. He had a voice unlike any other. RIP.

How about the duet version he did with k.d. lang - that one was pretty good too.

leevancleef Guest
    Embarrassingly enough, I went on thinking he was blind until about a month ago. My dad dispelled that rumour and I felt like a big idiot.
    Embarrassingly enough i thought that too when i started listening to his music and checking out his pictures
    His trademark dark glasses, he began wearing them in 1963.

SueWahoo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    How about the duet version he did with k.d. lang - that one was pretty good too.
    Or the one by herself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv7S8v3rM-U

Elvis Presley said Roy was one act he would never follow. Roy was another celebrity who died in the bathroom (of country singer Jean Shepard), just like Elvis.
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

stephenmiller Guest
    In 1963, the Beatles opened up for Roy Orbison during a UK tour and George Harrison became friends with Roy as did the other guys. That's how Roy and George ended up doing the Wilburys!

Quote Originally Posted by stephenmiller View Post
    In 1963, the Beatles opened up for Roy Orbison during a UK tour and George Harrison became friends with Roy as did the other guys. That's how Roy and George ended up doing the Wilburys!
    I had heard of him but didn't appreciate his music\voice until the late 80's; just before his death.

The Willburys CD came out; I bought it; but it was really an appearance on SNL that blew me away. He did three songs on that show; instead of the usual two; supposedly because Lorne Michaels was blown away by his voice.

leevancleef Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnusDippytack View Post
    Roy was another celebrity who died in the bathroom (of country singer Jean Shepard), just like Elvis.
    Hey Magnus, thats not true.
    Roy died at his mother's house in Hendersonville. He was visiting for the holidays while on break from one of his tours.

I was working in radio at the time and that is what they reported. Thanks for the correction.
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

leevancleef Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnusDippytack View Post
    I was working in radio at the time and that is what they reported. Thanks for the correction.
    No prob! BY ALL ACCOUNTS thats were he died.

NOVSTORM Guest
    He headed down to Nashville on December 4 and on Tuesday, December 6, spent time shopping for model airplane parts and flying them, but during the afternoon he complained of chest pains. Roy collapsed at his mother's house right before midnight. He was on top of the charts again, but he was dead at 52.

Roys kids got nothing ..he either died without a will or never made one including his son . The step mother got it all and she is in charge of RO productions. I have been trying to find the article where I got the info.
    He broke his glasses before a show and stuck on his sunglasses because of his poor eyesite and walla it was a hit so he wore them all the time.
    I have every record he ever made LOL

xenaswolf Guest
    I loved the duet with Roy and k.d. But I have to say, when I saw and met k.d. in LA, she did Crying as her encore and there was not a dry eye in the house. Two absolutely marvelous artitsts working together....man it doesn't get much better than that!

pattykad Guest
    Favorite Roy song was probably Running Scared with Lana a close
    second. I adored the man....he was on every Sunday morning in
    our house. I had the privaledge to meet him after a concert and
    no one could be kinder. Tom Petty said that just being around
    him made you a nicer person.

Also in his biography show...someone talked about how Roy pulled out
    a photo of his kids in his incredible home and was talking about them
    at the same time the kids were dying in that home. Does anyone
    remember that?

I loved to find some photos of that house as it sounded pretty
    interesting for that time and place.

Whatever happened to the movie they were going to do about
    his life??

Quote Originally Posted by xenaswolf View Post
    I loved the duet with Roy and k.d. But I have to say, when I saw and met k.d. in LA, she did Crying as her encore and there was not a dry eye in the house. Two absolutely marvelous artitsts working together....man it doesn't get much better than that!
    She did Crying as her encore for YEARS at her shows. After she finishes singing it, she'd look up and mouth "thanks Roy" each time - as the crowd gave her LONG standing ovation. I heard on this recent tour, she isn't singing it anymore.

Layla331 Guest
    His son Orbi was with Kat von D for sometime..their break up was on Miami Ink and then well played out on myspace drama lol...

Noreen Guest
    Roy, what a man, what a hard life, and what a voice. I read that Bob Dylan once said
    "Roy has the voice of a paid assasin". He could kill with that voice. I loved
    "A Black and White Night", loved the Wilbury's and will have to find him singing with K.D. Lang. I can only imagine how good that sounds!

Noreen Guest
    Wow, Thank you very much Aries. You made my day!

Noreen Guest
    OMG, K.D's & Roy's voices really flow together. Very beautiful!
    What movie is showing in the back of the duet? Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by Noreen View Post
    OMG, K.D's & Roy's voices really flow together. Very beautiful!
    What movie is showing in the back of the duet? Anyone know?
    It was called "Hiding Out" with Jon Cryer. A bomb of a movie, but surprisingly the DVD is worth almost $100 on Amazon. I guess it's Out of Print and hard to find these days.

Noreen Guest
    yeah, it looks so 80's, LOL. But thank you for the video's

Guest Guest
    loved the b&w show...have it on dvd!

I love the moment that you see Bruce Springsteen turn...look at Roy and he just grins from ear to ear...it's like at THAT moment he really realized who he was playing with and was star struck

Cryin will play at my funeral...dedicated to all of the lovers from my life

Noreen Guest
    I remember that moment too

Quote Originally Posted by stephenmiller View Post

I didn't know that, very interesting, thanks!

"It's Over"....what a song!

Sam Guest
    Roy Orbison's first wife was a childhood of my aunt Clydene. I believe her name was Claudette Frady and she was from Odessa, TX. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.)
    Clydene is now 68 (almost 69) years old, so I guess that's about right. I was born in Kermit, TX. in 1955 so I was a baby he got his start.
    I never met him, but I was told he once bought a new Cadillac from Berg Motor Company in Midland in the late 50's or early 60's.
    I sold Cadillac's, Oldsmobile's, and GMC trucks there from 1976 to 1988 and the showroom still looks pretty much like it did when it was built in late 1957.
    The salesman, an older gentleman, showed me the exact spot just outside the showroom window where he first saw Roy standing beside the Cadillac he purchased. (I searched for an on line photo of the dealership, but couldn't find one.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Roy Orbison's first wife was a childhood of my aunt Clydene. I believe her name was Claudette Frady and she was from Odessa, TX. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.)
    Clydene is now 68 (almost 69) years old, so I guess that's about right. I was born in Kermit, TX. in 1955 so I was a baby he got his start.
    I never met him, but I was told he once bought a new Cadillac from Berg Motor Company in Midland in the late 50's or early 60's.
    I sold Cadillac's, Oldsmobile's, and GMC trucks there from 1976 to 1988 and the showroom still looks pretty much like it did when it was built in late 1957.
    The salesman, an older gentleman, showed me the exact spot just outside the showroom window where he first saw Roy standing beside the Cadillac he purchased. (I searched for an on line photo of the dealership, but couldn't find one.)
    Great info - thanks! I heard they have some sort of museum for him in Wink, TX - where he grew up. I may go visit it sometime.

Sam Guest
    Aries65
    Wink is a "Wink" it's pretty much a P.O. box just outside Monahans, TX.
    It's near where a LOT of my family lived and died and are buried.
    It seems like "The Pitts" but you won't find nicer people and things haven't changed much since the 1950's. (I have the old 8 MM films to prove it!)
    If you get a chance to go there, go.
    I myself wanted to go back to Midland this weekend to drive around Monahans and Odessa, but the five hour drive and the gas prices have changed my mind.
    I remember as a kid in the 4th grade in 1964 going to a place on the Southside of Odessa named "Otto's" where we lived near "Rusk Elementary School", (my mother and aunt went there in the 40's).
    You could get a HUGE basket of French fries with ketchup for 25 cents and that left a nickel for me to put in the "Juke Box" to play "Pretty Woman".