Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Jeffersons

Isabel Sanford and Roxie Roker

I was watching an episode of The Jeffersons today. That's too bad that they're gone. Isabel had such a distinctive voice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

poppie Guest
    I am assuming everyone knows that Roxie Roker's famous son is Lenny Kravtz. His marriage to Lisa Bonet produced a son.

mr.wanttohaveitall Guest
    I loved them both. They were great on the show.

His marriage to Lisa Bonet produced a daughter Zoe Kravitz .. she a cutie ..I think shes doing some modeling .. nice that she hasnt gone the way of other celebspawn and wound up in rehab or hawking some seedy homemade sex video.

MorbidMolly Guest
    How old is she now.....she was such a cutie when she was little....

Tugboat25 Guest
    From what I understand, Isabel Sanford was a very lovely woman. Apparently she was a very nice person and a joy to be around, so I hear, anyway.

i loved the IHOP commercials she did with Sherman Helmsley (sp) that she did shortly before she died.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

bluebear71 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by poppie View Post
    I am assuming everyone knows that Roxie Roker's famous son is Lenny Kravtz. His marriage to Lisa Bonet produced a son.
    I had no idea!! That is interesting.

Irishlass Guest
    I dont think i knew roxie was dead....wow .

i loved that show they dont make them that way anymore..can you imagine a show today like that airing in our PC world

Quote Originally Posted by Demondahlia View Post
    His marriage to Lisa Bonet produced a daughter Zoe Kravitz .. she a cutie ..I think shes doing some modeling .. nice that she hasnt gone the way of other celebspawn and wound up in rehab or hawking some seedy homemade sex video.
    Zoe played the prostitute in the new Jodie Foster movie, "The Brave One" (a REALLY good movie - by the way!).

Cathy J. Guest
    Years ago a friend of mine talked me into going to "Lucy-Desi Days". A weekend Lucille Ball event held twice a year in her hometown of Jamestown, NY ( not far from Erie and Buffalo ).

The year I went they had Isabel Sanford there as a guest. She really was a kind lady.

Isabel did however say this about her Jeffersons co-star Sherman Hemsley . When she appeared at one of the events, someone asked her how "George" is doing. She says "...very good....he and his boyfriend are doing just fine !!".

I remember the look on the faces of those who were in the audience.

miamore73 Guest
    Here is a picture of Lenny and Zoe. She's a good mix of both her parents but she definately reminds you of Lisa Bonet the most.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LennyandZoe.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	528  

Darrianne Guest
    I loved "Weezy" The Jeffersons remains one of my fave sit-coms!

I have also heard that Isabel was a very intelligent and cultured lady.

MoJo67 Guest
    What got me about Isabel...is that she was so much older than Sherman Hemsley. When I found that out I was floored, she certainly carried herself well for the age difference. (go Weezy...she was like 21 years older in real life)

Forever-27 Guest

The Jeffersons

I pulled this from wikipedia. His best role was Lionel on " All in the Family "

Michael Jonas Evans (November 3, 1949 â?? December 14, 2006) (usually credited as Mike Evans), was an American actor and co-creator of the show Good Times with Eric Monte (Ralph Carter's character Michael Evans was named after him).
    Evans was born in Salisbury, North Carolina. His father, Theodore Evans Sr., was a dentist, and his mother, Annie Sue Evans, was a school teacher. He attended Palmer Memorial Institute, a private school for young African Americans in Sedalia, N.C. before his family later moved to Los Angeles, where he graduated from Los Angeles High School. He later studied acting at Los Angeles City College.
    Evans is most famous for creating the recurring role of Lionel Jefferson on All in the Family and was the first (and eventually final) actor to play Lionel on the spin-off The Jeffersons. He played Lionel on The Jeffersons for much of its 11-year run, with the majority of his appearances occurring from 1979-1983. Opera singer/actor Damon Evans (no relation to Michael) played the role for a few years of The Jeffersons, as Michael was occupied in the production of Good Times. He returned after Good Times was cancelled in 1979.
    His last TV role was in 2000, on an episode of Walker, Texas Ranger. Evans was also a real estate investor and owned properties in California's Inland Empire.
    As the original Lionel, his absence was noticed at a Sherman Hemsley TV Land special, which aired on April 26, 2006. Most of the other surviving Jeffersons cast members were present, as well as Sally Struthers and the cast of Amen.
    Evans died of throat cancer at his mother's home in Twentynine Palms, California at the age of 57. The announcement of his death was not released until a week later.

xXSTL_AngelXx Guest
    Hmmm...I wondered why he left "The Jeffersons" and then returned later.

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    Interesting info, thanks for the post.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by xXSTL_AngelXx View Post
    Hmmm...I wondered why he left "The Jeffersons" and then returned later.
    Yes! I always wondered where he went too! The other guy just didn't have "it"...was glad when Mike Evans returned to the show.

leeny994 Guest
    he left the Jeffersons because--from what i have heard---was a co creator and writer on the TV Show Good Times. Apparently when he left the Jeffersons it was to concentrate on Good Times and still have time for himself (He may have had a young family at the time too, not so sure on that part). WHen Good Times was canceled he went back to All in the Family.

mr.wanttohaveitall Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy J. View Post
    Years ago a friend of mine talked me into going to "Lucy-Desi Days". A weekend Lucille Ball event held twice a year in her hometown of Jamestown, NY ( not far from Erie and Buffalo ).

The year I went they had Isabel Sanford there as a guest. She really was a kind lady.

Isabel did however say this about her Jeffersons co-star Sherman Hemsley . When she appeared at one of the events, someone asked her how "George" is doing. She says "...very good....he and his boyfriend are doing just fine !!".

I remember the look on the faces of those who were in the audience.

Where else did I hear that Sherman Hemsley was gay? I'm glad Isabel confirmed it. It is kind of surpising.

I LOVED Isabel!!! RIP

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by miamore73 View Post
    Here is a picture of Lenny and Zoe. She's a good mix of both her parents but she definately reminds you of Lisa Bonet the most.
    Lisa Bonet just became a mother again very recently.

phirerednga Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MoJo67 View Post
    What got me about Isabel...is that she was so much older than Sherman Hemsley. When I found that out I was floored, she certainly carried herself well for the age difference. (go Weezy...she was like 21 years older in real life)
    When I read how much older she was than Sherman, it finally made sense why their smoochies seemed to have the air of "uncomfortable". At least to me thats what it looked like. I have often wondered if he has ever talked about that.

Forever-27 Guest
    I never knew Helen ( Roxie ) was gone. I thought isable Linoel and Tom were the only ones who had passed.

Wow a shocker that Sherman is gay.

Noelle Page Guest
    That was a wonderful show. I loved that apartment. Gosh, those 70s sitcoms were the best.

Didn't realize Isabel died--she was great.

Cathy J. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.wanttohaveitall View Post
    Where else did I hear that Sherman Hemsley was gay? I'm glad Isabel confirmed it. It is kind of surpising.

I LOVED Isabel!!! RIP
    The taboilds back in the 80s kinda outed him as I recall. I think it was the Enquier who even mention the name of Sherman's lover...Andre when a story appeared there about the money woes he and Andre were having.
    I believe this was after Sherman did Amen.

One would think this would make news but for some reason it didn't.

Then again as I read on another site, Sherman was a great actor. His personal life is his own, doesn't matter. I agree with that but it was interesting the hear Isabel mentioning this though.

Wal Mart had the Jeffersons DVD seasons 5 and 6 on sale for $13.95 each i think. i'm gonna have to buy them when i go back i have seasons 1-4 already. I LOVED LOUISE AND MOTHER JEFFERSON'S BANTERINGS. POOR LOUISE TOLERATED HER MOTHER-IN-LAW FOR GEORGE BUT SHE REALLY GOT UNDER LOUISE'S SKIN A LOT. THEN ZARA CULLY BECAME ILL AND DIED IN 1978 BUT FLORENCE AND GEORGE'S BICKERING MADE UP FOR THE LOSS OF MOTHER JEFFERSON.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Lisa Bonet came up early in this thread, someone said she'd just had a another baby.
    Here are 2 pics of the daddy, Jason Momoa. Wow

Sorry, i know this thread isn't about Lisa, but I couldn't help it.

Bayou Voodoo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    Lisa Bonet came up early in this thread, someone said she'd just had a another baby.

Dayum. :::wipes drool off of chin:::

lisalouver Guest
    Yup.

That's him. That Lisa has had some good genes for her children.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayou Voodoo View Post
    Dayum. :::wipes drool off of chin:::
    I know, lol.
    And let me keep this thread on topic by saying...this guy is the father of the new baby who is the half-sister of Lisa Bonets daughter Zoe, whose father is Lenny Kravitz whose mother was Roxie Roker from "The Jeffersons" and so therefore is Zoe's grandmother. It fits, LoL.

lisalouver Guest
    I know, lol.
    And let me keep this thread on topic by saying...this guy is the father of the new baby who is the half-sister of Lisa Bonets daughter Zoe, whose father is Lenny Kravitz whose mother was Roxie Roker from "The Jeffersons" and so therefore is Zoe's grandmother. It fits, LoL.
    That is does!

mr.wanttohaveitall Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT63 View Post
    Wal Mart had the Jeffersons DVD seasons 5 and 6 on sale for $13.95 each i think. i'm gonna have to buy them when i go back i have seasons 1-4 already. I LOVED LOUISE AND MOTHER JEFFERSON'S BANTERINGS. POOR LOUISE TOLERATED HER MOTHER-IN-LAW FOR GEORGE BUT SHE REALLY GOT UNDER LOUISE'S SKIN A LOT. THEN ZARA CULLY BECAME ILL AND DIED IN 1978 BUT FLORENCE AND GEORGE'S BICKERING MADE UP FOR THE LOSS OF MOTHER JEFFERSON.

OMG Louise was a SAINT for putting up with Mother Jefferson. I LOVED the two of them getting on each others nerves LOL. Zara Cully made the show for me while she was on it. Now it seems like most of the cast is gone. Isabel, Roxie, Zara Cully, Mike Evans, Franklin Cover. It's a shame.

Yksguy Guest
    Good grief, I thought Isabel Sanford was one of the worst actresses to ever star in a primetime sitcom. She seemed to shout most of her lines and her doubletakes were the corniest since James Finlayson in the Laurel & Hardy films. I know the show didn't really demand subtlety but she was hopelessly bad.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    THe Jefferson was such a good, funny show. I thought all 4 leads were great. I have a couple of seasons on DVD, it's a funny show.

I believe Lenny Kravitz's daughter with Lisa Bonet was in the last Jodie Foster movie "The Brave One." She's the drugged out street hooker whose pimp Joe D blows away and saves her a la Robert DeNiro in Taxi Driver. The girl doesn't rat her out, but gets Joe D's necklace at the hospital as hush money.

Noelle Page Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Yksguy View Post
    Good grief, I thought Isabel Sanford was one of the worst actresses to ever star in a primetime sitcom. She seemed to shout most of her lines and her doubletakes were the corniest since James Finlayson in the Laurel & Hardy films. I know the show didn't really demand subtlety but she was hopelessly bad.
    Subtlety would have ruined it!

Bottom line, she was just likeable and, in her way, believable.

dovescry1999 Guest

Sorry, i know this thread isn't about Lisa, but I couldn't help it.

DAYUM!!!!!!
    (Clutches chest, as heart beats too rapidly...)
    Whew! That was too close !

dovescry1999 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaDeathHag View Post
    THe Jefferson was such a good, funny show. I thought all 4 leads were great. I have a couple of seasons on DVD, it's a funny show.

I believe Lenny Kravitz's daughter with Lisa Bonet was in the last Jodie Foster movie "The Brave One." She's the drugged out street hooker whose pimp Joe D blows away and saves her a la Robert DeNiro in Taxi Driver. The girl doesn't rat her out, but gets Joe D's necklace at the hospital as hush money.
    Welll...
    Now I really don't need to see it now, right ?

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dovescry1999 View Post
    Welll...
    Now I really don't need to see it now, right ?
    It's a minor scene. The movie stunk. Anyway, all the reviews say she turns vigilante, and you see her doing the crimes, that's not the mystery, so hopefully I didn't ruin it for you. Sorry if I did.

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Why are Isabel Sanford and Roxie Roker combined into one thread? They are not one actress. Seems disrespectful.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

angelo's ghost Guest
    I think the guy who played the British neighbor died within the last couple years too. Can't remember his name.

Overtaxed Guest
    Paul Benedict was Mr. Bentley. Believe it or not, he wasn't British, he was born in New Mexico & grew up in Massachussets.

Paul Benedict is the latest cast member to pass away. there was a big age difference between Isabel and Sherman, on Good Times Esther Rolle was much older than her onscreen husband John Amos about 19 years older i think.

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy J. View Post
    The taboilds back in the 80s kinda outed him as I recall. I think it was the Enquier who even mention the name of Sherman's lover...Andre when a story appeared there about the money woes he and Andre were having.
    I believe this was after Sherman did Amen.

One would think this would make news but for some reason it didn't.

Then again as I read on another site, Sherman was a great actor. His personal life is his own, doesn't matter. I agree with that but it was interesting the hear Isabel mentioning this though.
    Wait...Sherman is gay? That's news to me. I thought I knew all the dirt on celebs, but I guess not!

It is sad that the casts of a lot of the tv shows and movies I grew up watching are now dying off. Geez...I feel old.
    I liked Isabel, but her cleavage always bugged me. She always had that boob crack thing going that reminded me of a babysitter I once had. I always imagined she dropped crumbs down there like my babysitter did (I was an odd child who evidently had too much free thinking time). There was something so sophisticated about Roxie and I thought Mike Evans was a cutie. I was shocked when he died.
    Last edited by MagneticElectric; 02-13-2009 at 12:45 AM.
    "You live alone, creating your life as you go." - Edie Sedgwick

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Why are Isabel Sanford and Roxie Roker combined into one thread? They are not one actress. Seems disrespectful.
    Franklin Cover (Tom Willis) and Paul Benedict (Mr Bently) have their own threads why were the two gals put together as one thread?

stephenmiller Guest
    I recall Mother Jefferson did pass away during the series' run. Any other details?

Quote Originally Posted by stephenmiller View Post
    I recall Mother Jefferson did pass away during the series' run. Any other details?
    She has her own thread too. Zarah Cully.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    I pulled this from wikipedia. His best role was Lionel on " All in the Family "

Michael Jonas Evans (November 3, 1949 â?? December 14, 2006) (usually credited as Mike Evans), was an American actor and co-creator of the show Good Times with Eric Monte (Ralph Carter's character Michael Evans was named after him).
    Evans was born in Salisbury, North Carolina. His father, Theodore Evans Sr., was a dentist, and his mother, Annie Sue Evans, was a school teacher. He attended Palmer Memorial Institute, a private school for young African Americans in Sedalia, N.C. before his family later moved to Los Angeles, where he graduated from Los Angeles High School. He later studied acting at Los Angeles City College.
    Evans is most famous for creating the recurring role of Lionel Jefferson on All in the Family and was the first (and eventually final) actor to play Lionel on the spin-off The Jeffersons. He played Lionel on The Jeffersons for much of its 11-year run, with the majority of his appearances occurring from 1979-1983. Opera singer/actor Damon Evans (no relation to Michael) played the role for a few years of The Jeffersons, as Michael was occupied in the production of Good Times. He returned after Good Times was cancelled in 1979.
    His last TV role was in 2000, on an episode of Walker, Texas Ranger. Evans was also a real estate investor and owned properties in California's Inland Empire.
    As the original Lionel, his absence was noticed at a Sherman Hemsley TV Land special, which aired on April 26, 2006. Most of the other surviving Jeffersons cast members were present, as well as Sally Struthers and the cast of Amen.
    Evans died of throat cancer at his mother's home in Twentynine Palms, California at the age of 57. The announcement of his death was not released until a week later.
    Does anyone have any recent pics of Mike? Other than his DC, I can't seem to find any info on him. Sad that he died so young.

It doesn't say when it was taken but...

Taken from here: http://television.aol.com/celebs/mik...8518/biography