Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Jahi mcmath

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    I find it ironic that Jahi's family had to fight the hospital to keep her alive and Karen Quinlan's family had to fight for the right to take her off of life support after she had already been laying there for ten years. I really don't expect Jahi to live very long, but if she did, this article about Karen Quinlan tells some of the things that Jahi would have to endure.

http://www.karenannquinlanhospice.org/history/
    When this first started Karen Ann Quinlan came to my as well. I remember the KAQ story vividly when the story came out in rhe 70's. Another very sad story.
    In Loving Memory of Timothy Houdek, October 22, 1969 - January 8, 2013

My awesome dad: Harry Houdek, September 8, 1933 - November 20, 2013

Words can't convey how much I miss you both. RIP with love.

RebelRocker Guest
    the sad part of all this, the mother truly believes that GOD will spark her brain and she will awake from sleeping. or something along those lines. its very sad the mom cant accept the truth.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised that Jahi's family haven't been taking pictures and parading them to the press. I know they say they have a video of her responding to her mother's voice, but they haven't put it out there yet. I wonder what the holdup is?
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeofEvil View Post
    Quite frankly, I'm surprised that Jahi's family haven't been taking pictures and parading them to the press. I know they say they have a video of her responding to her mother's voice, but they haven't put it out there yet. I wonder what the holdup is?
    I'm sure it won't be long. That is one of the things about Terri Schiavo's parents that pissed me off the most. I realize that Terri didn't know what was going on, but I thought it was disrespectful for them to be making videos of her to try to prove that she knew what was going on around her. Terri had everything else stripped away from her, they could have at least have given her some dignity by not putting pictures of her in a diaper on national news.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyinlove View Post
    There's no way Jahi's body would last 10 years. She is not in a persistive vegitative state (like Teri Shiavo) she is fully brain dead. They are different. I can only imagine how horrifying it must be to sit and watch your child decompose in front of you....of course, the family is CHOOSING this. I feel bad for this poor girl, i feel like it is equal to abuse of a corpse.
    You are exactly right. She is DEAD. D.E.A.D. I hate it for her family but they are abusing her by keeping her alive. She is not like Teri. She has no brain stem or brain function at all.

Sgt. Pepper Guest
    I can only hope that if I am ever in this horrible position someone would have the heart to say "she's gone" and pull the plug.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
    I can only hope that if I am ever in this horrible position someone would have the heart to say "she's gone" and pull the plug.
    I have a feeling dollar signs are involved here.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by findadeathaddict View Post
    That's exactly what I think.

That's exactly what I think.
    So let the kid rot so we can cash in.

Sgt. Pepper Guest
    No doubt about it.

Mammy Guest
    So let the kid rot so we can cash in.
    They want public sympathy and are probably licking their lips in anticipation of a malpractice settlement in the millions. If so, I think they are in for an ugly surprise.

Sgt. Pepper Guest
    They want public sympathy and are probably licking their lips in anticipation of a malpractice settlement in the millions. If so, I think they are in for an ugly surprise.
    There is a witness who saw the family sneak a cheeseburger in for Jahi to eat after surgery and before death, which she did. If that is true, I do not think their malpractice suit will work out too well.

Mammy Guest
    There is a witness who saw the family sneak a cheeseburger into Jahi after surgery and before death. If that is true, I do not think their malpractice suit will work out too well.
    Yes, I had heard that, too, but wasn't sure whether it was the truth or a rumor. It was mentioned up thread that they were using a suctioning device on her themselves because they didn't think she was getting it done quickly enough with the nurses. There's probably other bone headed things they've done that we just haven't heard about yet.

Sgt. Pepper Guest
    Yes, I had heard that, too, but wasn't sure whether it was the truth or a rumor. It was mentioned up thread that they were using a suctioning device on her themselves because they didn't think she was getting it done quickly enough with the nurses. There's probably other bone headed things they've done that we just haven't heard about yet.
    Let me see if I can find the post from the guy who was there. He had a lot of juicy details. He was in the recovery room and ICU with his son when Jahi was there.

I had my tonsils out last year. it took me the better part of an hour to eat a little cup of apple sauce - and that was DAYS after the surgery.
    how the flying fuck did she eat a cheeseburger in the hospital. water felt like I was swallowing razor blades.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think there is lots more that will come out. They are in for a rude awakening. No way will they win this case.

There is a witness who saw the family sneak a cheeseburger in for Jahi to eat after surgery and before death, which she did. If that is true, I do not think their malpractice suit will work out too well.
    Yep I heard that as well

RebelRocker Guest
    they got the feeding and breathing tubes inserted.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/local/...ise-fun/ncgp7/

a sick feeling came over me when i started thinking about the mom just keeping the child alive for her own selfish reasons.

Some interesting info on the case

Yep yep yep. Free gravy train ride for them. Oh wait who is our daughter again? Give them a year and she will be in a home and they will never come to see her again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    Yep yep yep. Free gravy train ride for them. Oh wait who is our daughter again? Give them a year and she will be in a home and they will never come to see her again.
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    They seem to be religious and have faith that God is keeping her alive. I dare them to unplug her from the machine and see if God still keeps her alive after that...I bet not.

While it's sad and all as to what happened with her, the mother is just in denial. The little girl is brain dead and only "alive" thanks to a machine pumping her chest up and down. What are they going to do, stick her in a bedroom somewhere and keep a machine going on her?

Terry S's brain was nothing but liquid by the time her husband did the honorable and humane thing by finally unplugging the machine. I'm sorry, what kind of "quality of life" is there by laying brain damaged in a bed for 15 years and not even realizing it? It almost seems as if Terry's family were pretty selfish and only kept her on the machine for themselves. I really don't think Terry would have wanted that - if she "knew" she was going to be a vegetable for the next 15 years of her life.

My family knows to either pull the plug or pour the entire scrip bottle of morphine down my throat if there was no doubt I'd end up like a bushel of broccoli on a bed for the rest of my life - or basically suffering.

Jahi's mom needs to get a grip finally. I bet that little girl doesn't survive (what's left of her) leaving the hospital. No I'm not a parent - so I don't know "what it's like". But after dealing with my terminally ill mother and watching her wither away and die from ALS - I know when a life should end. Jahi's mother is just like Terry's parents - yeah, they may love them, but they need to know when to let them go. Jahi is never going to be able to run and play or go swimming ever again. Just...let...her...go.
    Outstanding post Aries- ITA 100%. Yes, denial is a very powerful thing....in the Schiavo case and others along the same lines, there will never be a "miracle". Once the brain is dead, much less liquefied, that's it. A machine pumping oxygen in and out of a shell is not life. As you said, please....let her body go....she and her soul are already gone. How very, very sad. :-(

My mom (an RN) and I were discussing Jahi's case last night- she reiterated to me and I to her, that (God forbid) should a similar situation ever occur with either of us or our immediate family to pull the plug or down the massive morphine. We all have it in written medical directives just to be sure, again, God forbid it ever comes down to that.

Thank you again for your extremely true and very thoughtful eloquent post.
    Last edited by Cynful; 01-09-2014 at 09:45 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Casper, I love you so much baby boy... waking up with you in the house is a blessing every day! Thank you for filling our home and hearts with so much love, joy, laughter and ever so sweet Sammy smiles! We belong together! XOXOX

One person whose name is often overlooked in the new reports is her biological father Milton McMath. Seems he received a small settlement from an incident some years ago in which some cops beat the crap out of him and another guy for no other apparent reason other than their being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with this case, but he hasn't had near the media presence as the stepfather.

RebelRocker Guest
    i was under the impression its the uncle and mom in the media. i havent heard anything about a stepfather.

The hospital has done the smart thing and stayed pretty quiet thru all of this while Jahi's family has made themselves looks like drama queens to the news media. I bet the truth will all come out once the malpractice trial starts. I doubt they much have a leg to stand on. That poor obese and sickly little girl - who shouldn't have had the surgery in the first place until she lost some weight - being fed a cheesebuger right out of surgery?

I've had tonsillitis twice in my life and I remember not even being able to swallow barely a sip of water that whole week I was sick. Luckily my tonsils dissolved and disappeared on their own over the years (much to the amazement of a couple of doctors looking down my throat recently!).

Giving that girl a fuckin' fattening cheeseburger like that was only enabling the problem that caused all this shit to begin with.

And since her corpse can't swallow any solid food anymore, now they have a feeding tube attached to it. Like that will help?

The hospital has done the smart thing and stayed pretty quiet thru all of this while Jahi's family has made themselves looks like drama queens to the news media. I bet the truth will all come out once the malpractice trial starts. I doubt they much have a leg to stand on. That poor obese and sickly little girl - who shouldn't have had the surgery in the first place until she lost some weight - being fed a cheesebuger right out of surgery?

I've had tonsillitis twice in my life and I remember not even being able to swallow barely a sip of water that whole week I was sick. Luckily my tonsils dissolved and disappeared on their own over the years (much to the amazement of a couple of doctors looking down my throat recently!).

Giving that girl a fuckin' fattening cheeseburger like that was only enabling the problem that caused all this shit to begin with.

And since her corpse can't swallow any solid food anymore, now they have a feeding tube attached to it. Like that will help?
    I agree. The hospital is doing the smart thing by keeping their mouths shut.

Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeofEvil View Post
    My guess is they're waiting for the highest bidder.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul! (Invictus)
    (And Timothy McVeigh's last words...)

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelRocker View Post
    they got the feeding and breathing tubes inserted.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/local/...ise-fun/ncgp7/

a sick feeling came over me when i started thinking about the mom just keeping the child alive for her own selfish reasons.
    It is unethical and nauseating to know they found someone willing to hook a dead child up to feeding and breathing tubes. That is basically abuse of a corpse. Poor little girl.

I don't know all the facts of the case. Speculation and rumors are running rampant. Clearly what's gone on since poor Jahi was declared to be brain dead is absolute lunacy. While our emotions can understand any mother wanting to grasp a any chance to get her daughter back, our rational selves understand that it just won't happen. At the end of the day, the biggest tragedy for me is that a sweet little girl went into the hospital for what seemed to be a fairly routine operation, and then died. Nothing can undo that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by maryd View Post
    I don't know all the facts of the case. Speculation and rumors are running rampant. Clearly what's gone on since poor Jahi was declared to be brain dead is absolute lunacy. While our emotions can understand any mother wanting to grasp a any chance to get her daughter back, our rational selves understand that it just won't happen. At the end of the day, the biggest tragedy for me is that a sweet little girl went into the hospital for what seemed to be a fairly routine operation, and then died. Nothing can undo that.
    Very well said! I've been fortunate enough to never lose a child and I hope to stay fortunate. I can't imagine the pain, but there has to come a time when this woman tells herself, "She's gone. She's not coming back. No matter what she is hooked up to, all of the things that made Jahi who she was are gone and only her pitiful, sickly body is left." That child is decomposing right in front of her eyes. I can't imagine the horror of seeing that happen. She needs to think about what is best for her daughter and set her own feelings aside.

I agree. The hospital is doing the smart thing by keeping their mouths shut.
    They are, however, it isn't like they have much of a choice. Due to HIPPA/privacy laws, unless the family were to give them permission to release her medical records, they really can't say much as a matter of legality.

That being said, I hope the family keeps talking and acting like drama queens for the media —give them just enough rope to hang themselves and hopefully they won't get a dime from whatever lawsuit(s) they attempt to bring against the hospital.

As an aside, something that really burns me about this whole shit show is the fact that sometimes people die and it's nobody's 'fault'. This kid was obese, had sleep apnea (which was almost guaranteed to be made worse by being fat) may have had diabetes, and who knows how many other medical problems. They removed the tonsils, but also other sinus tissue meaning this was not your routine tonsillectomy. Even if the doctors did everything 100% correctly, any time one undergoes general anesthesia there are risks and people can die. Add all of the other factors and tragic as it is, she may simply be an unlucky statistic. So many people go in and so many have complications. No one wants to think they'll be the unlucky one and not to sound cold, but... someone has to be...
    Last edited by sfcitygirl; 01-09-2014 at 09:13 PM.

That child is decomposing right in front of her eyes. I can't imagine the horror of seeing that happen. She needs to think about what is best for her daughter and set her own feelings aside.
    Maybe she's a death hag...

Sgt. Pepper Guest
    Maybe she's a death hag...
    Thanks for the laugh!

Wendy A. Guest
    I wonder if they did give her a cheeseburger and it ripped the sutures and they're waiting the for the shit to heal? This way they have a lawsuit?

Quote Originally Posted by sfcitygirl View Post
    They are, however, it isn't like they have much of a choice. Due to HIPPA/privacy laws, unless the family were to give them permission to release her medical records, they really can't say much as a matter of legality.

That being said, I hope the family keeps talking and acting like drama queens for the media —give them just enough rope to hang themselves and hopefully they won't get a dime from whatever lawsuit(s) they attempt to bring against the hospital.

As an aside, something that really burns me about this whole shit show is the fact that sometimes people die and it's nobody's 'fault'. This kid was obese, had sleep apnea (which was almost guaranteed to be made worse by being fat) may have had diabetes, and who knows how many other medical problems. They removed the tonsils, but also other sinus tissue meaning this was not your routine tonsillectomy. Even if the doctors did everything 100% correctly, any time one undergoes general anesthesia there are risks and people can die. Add all of the other factors and tragic as it is, she may simply be an unlucky statistic. So many people go in and so many have complications. No one wants to think they'll be the unlucky one and not to sound cold, but... someone has to be...
    ITA. I know they can't say much because of HIPPA but they haven't really said anything at all. Like you said, they are just letting the family dig themselves a hole.

RebelRocker Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy A. View Post
    I wonder if they did give her a cheeseburger and it ripped the sutures and they're waiting the for the shit to heal? This way they have a lawsuit?

i agree and think the same way too

Okay - not to sound tooooooo dumb or morbid, but will this little angel start smelling? I mean like rotting, even with what they are hooking her up to? If so do these parents REALLY want to see that? SMH...
    My Posse's On Broadway

Sgt. Pepper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shejay View Post
    Okay - not to sound tooooooo dumb or morbid, but will this little angel start smelling? I mean like rotting, even with what they are hooking her up to? If so do these parents REALLY want to see that? SMH...
    She probably is already a bit smelly. Apparently the contents of her stomach that have been rotting inside her this whole time are beginning to leak out. Plus, her brain is turning into a liquid and will soon start pouring out of her ears. I am really surprised the body has lasted this long in the first place.

I am not blaming the nurses but did no one see them bring in a cheeseburger and try to stop them? Why the heck would you feed anyone solid food after this surgery? If her body is dying will anything heal?

Sgt. Pepper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Leasie View Post
    I am not blaming the nurses but did no one see them bring in a cheeseburger and try to stop them? Why the heck would you feed anyone solid food after this surgery? If her body is dying will anything heal?
    I have had five surgeries - knee surgeries, wrist surgery, appendectomy - and I cannot even begin to fathom eating right afterwards. Every time, I was not able to eat for the entire first week. It makes me cringe thinking about eating a Big Mac right after surgery.

Nelliebean Guest
    They used a suction bulb on cauterized tissue. STUPID! Just use your imagination...........

RebelRocker Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebean View Post
    They used a suction bulb on cauterized tissue. STUPID! Just use your imagination...........

source? or link to story?

Reminds me of:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UnplugMe.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	49526
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul! (Invictus)
    (And Timothy McVeigh's last words...)

Wendy A. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Leasie View Post
    I read an article further up in the thread that said the only way they can tell if ripped sutures (from cheeseburger) caused her demise is by an autopsy. They then said the injury would still heal itself in 3 weeks. That's what made me wonder if they weren't covering their asses by keeping her plugged in.

RebelRocker Guest
    I read an article further up in the thread that said the only way they can tell if ripped sutures (from cheeseburger) caused her demise is by an autopsy. They then said the injury would still heal itself in 3 weeks. That's what made me wonder if they weren't covering their asses by keeping her plugged in.

just going by that, how would they win their case since they had breathing and feeding tubes inserted?

Wendy A. Guest
    I have no clue? The whole thing is nuts. I just figured they did several things they shouldn't have and the family may just be covering their own asses.

RebelRocker Guest
    I have no clue? The whole thing is nuts. I just figured they did several things they shouldn't have and the family may just be covering their own asses.

it is. i was just curious. im hoping someone in the death field can answer my question. i just dont get it. the sad part is the family knows she isnt doing well but they are still want her to wake up.

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

I don't understand how the body will heal itself if it is essentially dead.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TaupinJohn View Post
    Reminds me of:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UnplugMe.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	49526
    That's freakin awesome! I'm not dead, I just need someone to hit reset. Did you work at a DirectTv call center in a former life? Lol

I honestly don't think a clinically dead person's body can heal on its own. If her body is deteriorating and her brain turning to mush, I just don't see how that would be possible.