Thread: Mick Ronson

endsleigh03 Guest

Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson (May 26, 1946April 29, 1993) born in Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire was an English guitarist, composer, multi-instrumentalist, arranger and producer. He is most well known for his work with David Bowie from 1970 to 1973, Bowie's glam rock period, including being part of Ziggy Stardust's Spiders From Mars band.
    He also had a solo career, the most notable exponent of which was his Slaughter On 10th Avenue album, that reached No 9 on the UK album charts. Ronson also guested on various different bands' releases after his time with Bowie. He was named the 64th greatest guitarist of all time by Rolling Stone magazine.
    Ronson died of liver cancer on April 29, 1993 at the age of 46. In his memory, the Mick Ronson Memorial Stage was constructed in his hometown of Hull.

http://www.mickronson.com/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mickronson.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	1984   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spiders_from_mars.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	1985  
    Last edited by endsleigh03; 12-03-2007 at 07:22 PM.

Some of his best work was with Ian Hunter...

Kathyf Guest
    So young.

HOLY SHIT... I didn't know he died!!! I remember watching him rock out at the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert with Bowie and Ian Hunter in 1992. He died a year later? woah.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Mick Ronson was amazing with both Bowie and Ian Hunter. how can you beat that guitar in All The Young Dudes and Ziggy Stardust? CLASSIC songs.

hoxharding Guest
    Dumb question-but is he related to Mark and Samantha?

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jason8478 View Post
    HOLY SHIT... I didn't know he died!!! I remember watching him rock out at the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert with Bowie and Ian Hunter in 1992. He died a year later? woah.
    I wish I could see that again.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    Can't help with this one, I don't know who Mark and Samantha are?

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Death Hag Chris View Post
    Mick Ronson was amazing with both Bowie and Ian Hunter. how can you beat that guitar in All The Young Dudes and Ziggy Stardust? CLASSIC songs.
    "All the Young dudes" always gives me a shiver when I hear it, which isn't too often on radio.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    "All the Young dudes" always gives me a shiver when I hear it, which isn't too often on radio.
    VERY true. one of those songs that should get more airplay than it does. I got an idea for all these "classic rock" radio stations...put DOWN the bullshit Zeppelin albums, and pop on some Mott The Hoople.

endsleigh03 Guest
    VERY true. one of those songs that should get more airplay than it does. I got an idea for all these "classic rock" radio stations...put DOWN the bullshit Zeppelin albums, and pop on some Mott The Hoople.
    Yeah, there is SO much music out there that never see's the light of day.
    The RS's here are horrible.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Yeah, there is SO much music out there that never see's the light of day.
    The RS's here are horrible.
    join the club. here in chicago we have 1 classic rock station (The Loop). and all they play is the same shit songs by the same shit artists day in day out.

Hell yes! "Mott" is one of my favorite albums ever.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Whammer Jammer View Post
    Hell yes! "Mott" is one of my favorite albums ever.
    SWEET!!! see, I KNEW there was more of us Mott fans out there.

Next time I'm rocking out Ziggy Stardust on guitar hero I will think of him.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jason8478 View Post
    Next time I'm rocking out Ziggy Stardust on guitar hero I will think of him.
    dude that crazy you should say that. my kid's LOVE playing Ziggy Stardust on Guitar Hero.

TNpuck Guest
    I'd rather actually play it on a real guitar.

death hag dee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post

Yes he is their father

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TNpuck View Post
    I'd rather actually play it on a real guitar.
    yeah, well my kids are 11 and 9.

TNpuck Guest
    So teach them, it's not hard.

death hag dee Guest
    Can't help with this one, I don't know who Mark and Samantha are?
    Mark Ronson is a producer in England (Lilly Allen and I believed he worked on Amy Winehouses album not sure though.) They say if Mark Ronson works on your album you will have a hit

Samantha Ronson is a DJ from California who reportedly:

A. was lindsey lohans lesbian lover (say that 3xs fast)
    B. set lindsey up with the coke from her first bust
    C. hangs out with nicole ritchie and that group

mott fans always gather in the best places.
    Last edited by midnitelamp; 12-05-2007 at 01:51 PM. Reason: have a revolution for fun

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by death hag dee View Post
    Yes he is their father
    Damn, I did not know that.
    Mark Ronson has been way hot for a while now.

Talented family.

Cataroo Guest
    I had a fierce crush on Mick back in the day when he was with Mott!!

I love Mott the Hoople!

lois steeme Guest
    I love Mott The Hoople, too. We even named our peachface lovebird Mott The Hoople!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCBVwpNRQ2w

Mick Ronson was very special; I was really sad when I heard that he'd passed away. What a waste.

rickenbacker Guest
    I have his last CD, Heaven and Hull. It's a bittersweet collection. He wrote and recorded it knowing he was dying. I named my son Michael, but told the wife up front he would always be called Mick. She thought it was because I wanted an Irish traditional name. I named him after Mick Ronson. One of my favorite guitarists, and he left way too soon. I just told the wife last year (when my son turned TEN!) the true story behind the name. She was surprisingly cool with it.

NewYorkDoll Guest
    Mick Ronson is not the father of Samantha and Mark

Son of socialite/writer Ann Dexter-Jones and Laurence Ronson.
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1053148/bio

They are however the stepchildren of Mick Jones from Foreigner.

Chunga Guest

Cleveland Agora.....

1978...One of the many times I see the Ramones. Opening act is a band called The Boyz or The Boys or something of that nature. After they play their somewhat forgetful set, out comes Ian Hunter on vocals and guitar, Meat Loaf on bass guitar, Mick Ronson on guitar, Todd Rundgren on drums, and they proceed to do One Of The Boys. Mick had the cig dangling out of the mouth and did about a zillion pick slides. He was the champ at that. Like at the beginning of Here Comes The Night, on Pinups. Mick was the best and I tried in vein to emulate his style. Never better than with Bowie. The Man Who Sold The World. He sounded awesome on that LP. I remember when Slaughter On 10th Avenue came out. I loved that album. Bye the bye. Mott The Hoople always sounded better to me in the real early days. Brain Capers. The Moon Upstairs, Death May Be Your Santa Claus. Much more arrogant and raw. I always wished they got back to this style. Mott Link....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQD27...eature=related

Last edited by Chunga; 05-22-2008 at 04:54 PM.

NewYorkDoll Guest
    Mick Ronson Receives Rock Icon Award
    On November 5, 2007 Mick Ronson was presented with the Tommy Vance Inspiration Award by Classic Rock Magazine. The magazine's third annual awards show was held at London's prestigious Landmark hotel. Ronson's award was presented by Ian Hunter and Def Leppard's Joe Elliott. Mick's wife Suzi and daughter Lisa accepted the award on Mick's behalf. Mick Ronson and David Bowie are featured on the cover of the new issue.

Chunga Guest

I remember....

reading or hearing David Bowie saying that when he wanted the band to glam out with the make up and clothes, Mick pitched a real fit. He was a tough kid from a working class neighborhood and wanted nothing to do with that look, according to Bowie. Thank goodness he relented! The music of my youth.

tarsier Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lois steeme View Post
    I love Mott The Hoople, too. We even named our peachface lovebird Mott The Hoople!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCBVwpNRQ2w

Mick Ronson was very special; I was really sad when I heard that he'd passed away. What a waste.
    We named one of the neighborhood kids "Mott" his parents named him Matt but a zillion years later he is still Mott. I've got to make my sister read this thread we were just talking about Mick Ronson a while back she wanted me to look up Nick Ronson (Yes, his son!).
    She was all into glamrock we think Bowie's Rebel, Rebel was based on a fan letter she wrote him as a teeniebopper. Her name is Rebel & that is the only Bowie song she hates.

The Hunter solo album "You're Never Alone With a Schizophrenic" is a classic...believe MR did a lot of work on that with him...

And of course, the original version of "Once Bitten...Twice Shy" ...a classic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNeLAS3axKI
    Last edited by jimpuck19; 05-22-2008 at 02:21 PM.

NewYorkDoll Guest

Chunga Guest

Some real....

Awesome solo footage, Width of a Circle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibbXY...eature=related
    Last edited by Chunga; 05-22-2008 at 04:51 PM.

"Mott" is one my favorite albums of all time. FINALLY they re-mastered it. I've been listening to it since 1974.

SWEET!!! see, I KNEW there was more of us Mott fans out there.
    Oops, I see I already responded to this thread......

ratkin638 Guest
    As a music critic in the 70s I met and interviewed Mick Ronson (then a member of the Hunter-Ronson Band). I found him to be a really nice, laid back, funny person. While there were several great moments in the interview (including one that translates to paper so badly that I was never able to use it in print), one sticks out in my memory. I mentioned the velvety Little Lord Fauntleroy suits that he and the other Spiders From Mars wore in the second portion of Bowie's Ziggy Stardust shows, and asked how he felt being so costumed as a guitarist in a rock show. He never answered the question. Instead he paused for a few seconds, and then said, "I still have that one in my attic, in a box. [long pause] And every now and then I get it out, put it on and just stand in front of the mirror...." Then he laughed, and we moved on.

rickenbacker Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunga View Post
    1978...One of the many times I see the Ramones. Opening act is a band called The Boyz or The Boys or something of that nature. After they play their somewhat forgetful set, out comes Ian Hunter on vocals and guitar, Meat Loaf on bass guitar, Mick Ronson on guitar, Todd Rundgren on drums, and they proceed to do One Of The Boys. Mick had the cig dangling out of the mouth and did about a zillion pick slides. He was the champ at that. Like at the beginning of Here Comes The Night, on Pinups. Mick was the best and I tried in vein to emulate his style. Never better than with Bowie. The Man Who Sold The World. He sounded awesome on that LP. I remember when Slaughter On 10th Avenue came out. I loved that album. Bye the bye. Mott The Hoople always sounded better to me in the real early days. Brain Capers. The Moon Upstairs, Death May Be Your Santa Claus. Much more arrogant and raw. I always wished they got back to this style. Mott Link....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQD27...eature=related

What I would have paid to see THAT show!

Just found this thread! I just loved Mick Ronson as a tween....I still do. And he could jam.

And I love Ian Hunter.....with Mick.....they rocked on "Once Bitten Twice Shy."

Didn't think the question about Samantha and Mark was a dumb one, I opened this thread to find out the same thing. I love Lily Allen and I love the cover/remix of The Smiths Stop Me (If You Think You've Heard This One Before) with Daniel Merriweather (who I have no idea who he is but I like his voice a lot on that song). That's a compliment because I adore The Smiths and I generally abhor cover songs. I do think he worked with Amy Winehouse as well, I seem to remember that but haven't confirmed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egflzoPgOy0
    Last edited by atomicbettie; 09-02-2015 at 08:09 PM.

God, he knew how to play guitar. Without Mick, Bowie would never have had that sound. Timeless music thanks to him.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

It's worth the watch. If you are interested it's on itunes for $12.99.
    Last edited by Shellie; 02-22-2018 at 11:38 PM.

Will do! Thanks.

Fake Canadian passport id card for sale online

SPAM
    Last edited by cindyt; 02-24-2018 at 07:13 AM.

It's available on amazon to rent for $3.99

https://www.amazon.com/Beside-Bowie-...k+ronson+story

48. 03-03-2018, 03:56 AM
    Reason
    Spammer

49. 03-10-2018, 02:26 PM
    Reason
    Spam