Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Titanic

Gorey Guest

The Titanic

The Titanic artifact exhibition is in Pittsburgh for a few months. To those of you not familiar with this, it's things that were brought up from the shipwreck. They have dishes, pieces of the ship itself and personal effects as jewelery, clothes and letters. We went to the exhibit last Saturday and walked through it with a lump in our throat and a tear in our eye. What do you think? Preservation or desecration?

Preservation definately. Leaving these things at the bottom of the ocean will only destroy them. Especially now since everyone and their brother is taking subs down there and stirring up all the sediment.

We cannot ever forgot what happened that night and now with almost no survivors the artifacts will be all that we have left.
    Last edited by Miho; 06-18-2008 at 11:05 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Vamp Guest
    I saw the exhibit in Vegas. I thought it was amazing. I remember how some of the dishes and a diamond ring were found in tact. I think it is preservation.

panda Guest
    I seen it in Ft Lauderdale & it was awesome! I think its real important to preserve as much as we can. It was a horrible event, lives were lost needlessly, it should never be forgotten. I will be the first person in line if they ever sell tickets to go in that little sub thingy.............

I saw the exhibit when it was in seattle. It was fascinating. You will love the end!
    Wanna see my grandkids?

Morto Guest
    I agree I saw it in Vegas and it was handled in a very tasteful historical envioronment,definately preservation.

Cettie Guest
    I would love to see the exhibit, to me it's definitely preservation. I wonder though, being somewhat jaded, how many valuables ended up in pockets along the way during the recovery.

A-train Guest
    Preservation. I would love to see it. Wonder if it would comes to Tulsa or anywhere round my parts..

loved the movie...

Vamp Guest
    They give you a card with a person that was on the Titanic when you begin the Exhibit. You find out at the end of the visit if your "person" survived or died. That was very interesting. Mine lived, my husband's person died.

Gorey Guest
    I agree it's preservation. There's too many greedy people out there that would desecrate the site. It just added a very human aspect to the whole Titanic event. The movie was so accurate it's almost documentary in itself, except for the story line of Rose and Jack. Although there was a Jack Dawson on the ship and buried in Halifax..
    I can leer at crime scene photos, gawk at autopsy pics, but show me 96 year old pants that went down with the Titanic and I'll cry..... for days.

SarahThirteen Guest
    That was in Cleveland when I was in like jr high... do they still give you a person's name and you find out at the end of it if you lived or died? I thought that was cool. I dont remember who's name I had gotten but I remember that I was first class and lived.

Now I do think it is preservation but however I believe they should of left that huge piece of the ship where it was. Its like going to a grave yard and stealing someone's grave stone. If you think about it the Titanic is the head stone for hundreds of lost souls.

Vamp Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahThirteen View Post
    That was in Cleveland when I was in like jr high... do they still give you a person's name and you find out at the end of it if you lived or died? I thought that was cool. I dont remember who's name I had gotten but I remember that I was first class and lived.

Now I do think it is preservation but however I believe they should of left that huge piece of the ship where it was. Its like going to a grave yard and stealing someone's grave stone. If you think about it the Titanic is the head stone for hundreds of lost souls.
    I was in third class, I remember.

marimbagirl Guest
    Preservation. Because you know, I'm a preservationist! Archiving is a type of preservation, but we deal mostly with historic documents.

There's a big debate going on right now in historical circuits over what to do with the portion of Titanic that is still around. To pull it from the depths would be very costly and very dangerous, but to leave it down there would insure that it would disappear sooner or later. It's slowly deteriorated over the last 100 years and will continue to do such until nothing is left. So, do you pull it up or do you let an important historical icon just fade away?

Isn't this the same as when they pull up those ships that have sank in the Carribean and off the East Coast? Souls died on those, but they pull them up and use them for research. I know of two sites right now where this is currently happening. One is the Red River Wreck on the Red River on the boarder of Oklahoma and Texas. I believe they just pulled up the bulk of that ship after 5 years of research. The other is Blackbeard's SHip off the coast of Virginia. They are currently working to empty it before they raise it. The bones from all these ship wrecks have long since been absorbed into the ocean floor. There's honestly nothing left, but the sights are all well known. Is a ship that's underwater really going to serve much purpose?

And I saw the exhibit in Ft. Lauderdale. I was a maid and I survived. My parents didn't.

SarahThirteen Guest
    I wish it would come back to C-Town.. I loved it and would love to see it again.

Were you able to actually find out if your person lived or died at the end of it... I remember there was a wall with all the names... being on a school field trip there were too many people there for me to even find out I had to look it up when I got home.

sunshine74137 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by A-train View Post
    Preservation. I would love to see it. Wonder if it would comes to Tulsa or anywhere round my parts..
    It was in OKC a couple of years ago

damn! i'd love to see that.
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"

RoRo Guest
    I went a few years ago and loved it...I am a huge Titanic fanatic!! I have several books on the ship and had the video from the artifact exhibit but sadly a friend left it in her car and it is now deceased...lol....I do still have the book I bought though. I looked online for the video to replacxe it but haven't found it. I remember my ticket and I died. I have it in the book still.

GravesEnd Guest
    I agree. It should be preserved. I saw this exhibit in Los Angeles some years ago. I loved seeing the Hull of the ship, the re-creation of the rooms and grand staircase. I also have several pieces of original coal from the Titanic.

Reecy Guest
    I know I would enjoy seeing this and I know I would shed a tear at the end.

TheMysterian Guest
    I've never seen the exibit but would love too,I have seen some of the treasure from "The Atocha" in Key West and to me it should be preserved.The Titanic legend has always been fascinating.

ApricotRoses Guest
    The exhibit was here in Atlanta for awhile. I didn't get to see it, but I agree, Preservation. I DID however, get to see the Louvre exhibit. Wow.

MbalmR Guest
    I think it's preservation, and that it's respectable. It's not at all like digging up graves in the middle of the night to steal jewelry or abuse a corpse. There's far too much interest world wide in this tragedy to just leave everything to the sea to disappear forever. I really don't think the deceased mind at this point, anyway.

ShatteredMirror Guest
    Preservation all the way. The wreck is an historical sight just like any other ever found, from caveman dwellings through to the modern era. If the exhibition is tastefully presented, informative and not exploitative then there's no problem whatsoever.

sammimom Guest
    We went when it was in Columbus, about 2 years ago. Hubby got the name of one of the ministers on board, he died. I had a wealthy young woman on her way to be married. She lived. They had set up the Grand staircase, all of the dining areas, and what each of the different class travel quarters looked like. There was even an iceberg! The dishes were displayed the way that they had been found in the silt.
    Margie

Forever-27 Guest
    Its no different then digging up somebodys grave and taking the jewlery off the corpse. So many people died out there ... these things are part of peoples lives , Over the years steven ballard has said that people from all over have taken things from the wreck as souviners and this is really no different then they are. One couple even got married on a subsermisable perched atop the wreck. I am totally against them doing these shows.

pvezz Guest
    I will definitely go see it! The "Bodies" exhibition was here in Pgh for months and, asshat that I am, I missed it. I won't miss this one.

Boxofpandoraz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    Its no different then digging up somebodys grave and taking the jewlery off the corpse. So many people died out there ... these things are part of peoples lives , Over the years steven ballard has said that people from all over have taken things from the wreck as souviners and this is really no different then they are. One couple even got married on a subsermisable perched atop the wreck. I am totally against them doing these shows.
    While I agree that getting married in a submersible on top of the wreck of the Titanic is a little eccentric, I'm not really offended by it.

I think of it this way: If something happened to me to end my life that the entire world knew about as a part of history. If the last remnants of my final days on this earth were at risk of being lost forever beneath the ocean, left to the elements to do with as they wished...I would want someone to make sure they were rescued and safe...Not because it's a novelty, but because it would mean that I had not just been forgotten.

I think that these exhibitions with the salvaged artifacts from the Titanic are a way of remembering those who died...Bringing a sense of humanity to something that we all read about in history books, or watched in long, drawn out over-dramaticized movies from the 90's.

If I had perished on the Titanic for real, I would much rather have someone remember a vision of something I had owned that went down on the ship when someone said the word "Titanic" than have them strike up a visual of Leonardo DiCaprio...

TIMB1967 Guest

Titanic

Today marks the 98th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic. As most of you are aware, it struck an iceberg shortly before midnight on April 14, 1912 but did not officially sink until around 2:30am the 15th. I don't know the exact times but the loss of life on board should be memorialized. I believe close to 1750 people lost their lives because of multiple reasons: not enough lifeboats on board (only 20 lifeboats for over 2000 people; no safety training of the staff to deal with a life-threatening emergency; severe class segregation which left most thrid class passengers in the bowels of the ship and unable to get atop deck where the few lifeboats were located; and finally inferior steel and rivets used in the ship's manufacture. Plus there are all the rumors floating around that the ship was traveling too fast in areas known to have icebergs that time of year and the design flaws: the steering problems associated with a rudder too small for a ship that size..The list goes on. The point is to remember all those who lost their lives. I hope they all have found peace.

ColorfulCasey Guest
    A story that has always captivated me! I will watch anything and everything Titanic related.

I won't, however, be on this cruise.

http://www.titanicmemorialcruise.co.uk/

It seems incredible that it's been almost 100 years. R I P to all that went down with her.
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

steffie Guest
    I am terrified of water so that cruise is definitely not for me.That is so sad about the lifeboats =/

ginasaurusrex Guest
    I've always been interested in the events surrounding the sinking of the Titanic, and I've always found it extremely sad how many people perished due to the lack of life boats and life boats being let go less than half full. Went to the Titanic exhibit in Las Vegas over the summer and it was simply amazing! If anyone is in the area or will be, it's a must see.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Are there any survivors left alive? I think I read that the last one passed away not too long ago, but not sure on that. Such a tragedy. Thanks for the remembrance Tim.

TIMB1967 Guest
    The last known survivor passed away 2 years ago I believe. She was only 9 weeks old when Titanic went down.

I'm obsessed with the Titanic. I have so many books on it, including the little biography of the ship's builder, Thomas Andrews, who went down with the ship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_...s_(shipbuilder)

Here is another link with info about what he did during the nearly four hours it took the ship to sink, and a wonderful description of the last time he was seen before it went down.

http://world.std.com/~jlr/doom/andrews.htm
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TheMysterian Guest

Titanic Bibliography

Last edited by TheMysterian; 04-14-2010 at 10:04 AM.

Hez Guest
    Titanic was what started the death hag in me! I first heard about it when I was 5 and I became obsessed with it. I thought it was amazing when Bob Ballard discovered it in the 80's and that's what really revived the interest in it. When the James Cameron film came out I was blown away by it.

It is hard to believe it's 98 years ago. I wonder what state the wreck is in now? I know they reckon it will eventually collapse. When it looms out of the dark it is so eerie. It's amazing that there were no human remains at all.

GrinReaper Guest
    This really can't be the first thread on here about the Titanic, can it?

What really gets me about it is how the rich surrvived and the poor were not allowed to.

Fucking class system.

jaylene Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Luanne View Post
    I'm obsessed with the Titanic. I have so many books on it, including the little biography of the ship's builder, Thomas Andrews, who went down with the ship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_...s_(shipbuilder)

Here is another link with info about what he did during the nearly four hours it took the ship to sink, and a wonderful description of the last time he was seen before it went down.

http://world.std.com/~jlr/doom/andrews.htm
    A true hero and gentleman. He accepted his fate and went like a man.
    Just don't see them like that anymore. There are more Ismay's it seems.

rjbrasher Guest
    did they ever find andrews body floating or did it stay trapped in the ship?

rjbrasher Guest
    nm i found the answer to that, awe the whole family is gone. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=18257004

Quote Originally Posted by sammimom View Post
    We went when it was in Columbus, about 2 years ago. Hubby got the name of one of the ministers on board, he died. I had a wealthy young woman on her way to be married. She lived. They had set up the Grand staircase, all of the dining areas, and what each of the different class travel quarters looked like. There was even an iceberg! The dishes were displayed the way that they had been found in the silt.
    Margie
    I saw the exhibit at COSI. The person's name I got was Catherine, I think. She was in second class on her way to the United States to be married. Do you think we might have had the same person?
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

Lout_Rampage Guest
    I missed it when it was in Dallas, now I'm kicking myself. I wonder whose name I would've gotten.

A coworker of mine who went to Las Vegas last year went to the expedition and said it was really interesting. Does anyone know if there is a schedule of what cities it will be in? I really would like to see this, even though Las Vegas is only 6 hours away. I don't know if it is still there, she saw it at the Luxor.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    I believe this schedule is current:

http://www.titanictix.com/

The exhibition was here for awhile a couple of years ago...we saw it and it was very well curated.
    Last edited by Jack-O-Lantern; 04-14-2010 at 11:12 PM.

pechar Guest
    Too far for most of you - but it's here in Australia from now until October.

To be precise it's actually in Melbourne.....

http://titanicmelbourne.com/
    Last edited by pechar; 04-14-2010 at 11:13 PM.

SarahThirteen Guest
    http://www.titanicbranson.com/index....75880fe46e353a

its a museum of sorts in Missouri

they even do weddings.... but it made me laugh cuz their slogan for doing weddings is "happily ever after begins at Titanic"

ummm do they not know how that story ends? Titanic and happily ever after shouldnt be in the same sentence hahaha.

I went to the exhibit at the end of Feb and it is a MUST see for every DH. Artifacts like soap, blankets, things that you could never imagine would survive. My second class woman survived, but looking at the list and seeing entire family's gone....... that was tough.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

steffie Guest
    Yes it's coming to Columbus,Ohio! I'm gonna take my kids. What exactly is the exhibit? Last time we went to an exhibit it was in Cincinnati, the "Body Exhibit", my 12 year old was not a happy camper =D