Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Amelia Earhart

Nelliebean Guest
    Oops, Sorry! Thought you said LEBANESE woman.

Nicki Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    Just like a straight woman only taller but sometimes shorter.
    Back in the day it was easy to spot us. We were issued flannel shirts, Birkenstock sandals and forced to get bad mullet haircuts if we wanted to be card carrying lesbians.
    Now all bets are off and we look like just about every type of woman there is but I think there is a particular type of handsome woman rather than pretty that gives me definate lesibian vibes. I would include Amelia E, and some other women who may or may not be lesibans. Emma Thompson and Kate Hepburn come to mind again that doesn't mean they are or were lesbians.
    I know that this is the sort of woman that gets my gaydar rumbling.
    Regards,
    Mary
    Just said she looked like one....doesn't mean she was. Living in the San Francisco Bay Area...yes some had a definite look. but Mary, you are right...there are some gorgeous women out there and one would never guess.

ShockDoc Guest
    Re: the movie, I think it would seem more believable to cast an unknown who resembled her more than Hilary, tho Im sure she does a fine job.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockDoc View Post
    Re: the movie, I think it would seem more believable to cast an unknown who resembled her more than Hilary, tho Im sure she does a fine job.
    Well if we are talking famous aviators Leonardo Decaprio could not have looked less like Howard Huges. Hughes inhis prewhacky days was tall,dark and slim with that pencil thin mustache Boston Blackie thing going on.
    I thought that part was terribly miscast but it was a huge hit. If I were casting the part I would have made other choices. Hillary Swank is not a fave of mine.
    Regards,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Hippo View Post
    To mdespain38:

We can be thankful that they didn't cast Katie Holmes.
    So true. Of course then they could've case Tom in Richard Gere's role!

Just like a straight woman only taller but sometimes shorter.
    Back in the day it was easy to spot us. We were issued flannel shirts, Birkenstock sandals and forced to get bad mullet haircuts if we wanted to be card carrying lesbians.
    Now all bets are off and we look like just about every type of woman there is but I think there is a particular type of handsome woman rather than pretty that gives me definate lesibian vibes. I would include Amelia E, and some other women who may or may not be lesibans. Emma Thompson and Kate Hepburn come to mind again that doesn't mean they are or were lesbians.
    I know that this is the sort of woman that gets my gaydar rumbling.
    Regards,
    Mary
    Since I"m straight do I have to give up my flannel shirts? Damn. LOL (the m in mdespain stands for Mary)

Mrs. Watson Guest
    The book by the TIGHAR group, Ameila Earhart's Shoe? I think it's called, it's a fascinating read.

She was always one of my childhood heroes. Not that I had an urge to become a pilot, but just because she did so many things women back then just didn't do.

I've always thought her husband was a money grubbing weasel. Some of the other things I've read, it seems like theirs was purely a marriage about business.

Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes, OMG, that cracked me up! Scared me a little bit too.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mdespain38 View Post
    Since I"m straight do I have to give up my flannel shirts? Damn. LOL (the m in mdespain stands for Mary)
    Naw I still wear my flannel shirts! I am a Cub's fan too in addition to my Mets and Reds.
    Regards,
    Mary

Naw I still wear my flannel shirts! I am a Cub's fan too in addition to my Mets and Reds.
    Regards,
    Mary
    Thank you. I love my flannel in the Winter. Go Cubs! Next year maybe.

TheMysterian Guest

Amelia Earhart's final struggle possibly revealed by newly-discovered artifacts: rese

I heard that a couple of weeks ago at a dinner party. The guy was going on about this island in the Pacific having these enormous coconut crabs, and the nests of these crabs are kept in the family for generations. He said the scientist discovered some of the bones in the nests.

Basically, the place was pretty barren and shitty. That sucks. I dont' know what's worse dying quickly in a plane crash or basically succumbing to the elements on a barren island with giant crabs.

Here is from the link from the story Mysterian posted. It has some more stuff. http://news.discovery.com/history/am...artifacts.html

What the hell is a cocunut crab ? Oh,, well let me show you ---- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_crab

http://www.hemmy.net/images/animals/hugecrab01.jpg

My favorite pic ---http://images.needcoffee.com/coconut-crab.jpg
    Last edited by okidoll; 06-08-2010 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Cocunut Crab fashion show

The group that is conducting the search has a website. They are in the pacific right now and are updating daily. It is pretty interesting.

http://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/AEdescr.html

rjbrasher Guest
    holy shit those are big ass craps!?!?!?

slw Guest
    i didn't see those, only big ass CRABS!

Katrinawitch Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by okidoll View Post
    Uuuugggghhhhhh! I hate things with exoskeletons, just in general. I think that last picture will stay with me forever...!!

It will be interesting to see if anything comes out of this, or if they're able to do DNA testing.

jaylene Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbrasher View Post
    Now THATS funny!

You might make a huge ass crap after seeing that huge ass crab. Can you imagine waking up from a nap on the beach and seeing that staring at you?

rjbrasher Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by slw View Post
    hahaha sorry my ass was so tired, Im sure those big ass crabs shit out big ass craps too

rjbrasher Guest
    I like eating crabs but after seeing those, i can't even gather a taste for crabs or lobster, Omg that would suck with one of them clamped on to you, your hand or foot would just come off. Eek?!!

I wonder if those are even eatable? I guess if you are starving they are, but in general.

I wonder if those are even eatable? I guess if you are starving they are, but in general.
    I'm sure they are, but are you hungry enough to catch one? THEN do you still have all of your fingers left to prepare them?

slw Guest
    Originally Posted by slw
    hahaha sorry my ass was so tired, Im sure those big ass crabs shit out big ass craps too
    LOL

I think I am more afraid of Coconut Crabs than death its self. I first saw them years ago on a website about strange animals. They say they are not violent and do not harm humans, but they are terrifying!

Ugh, I don't know why but I was forced to look at the images of the crabs. I got the 'no' feeling in my body. Every time I see those pics I get a bad feeling. Ick, Ick, Ick!!!!

But anyway, I guess I should post about Amelia, I need to see the movies. I am intrigued by the new facts and I really hope they can find her. How amazing if she really made it to her destination!

Quote Originally Posted by snoopydrea View Post
    But anyway, I guess I should post about Amelia, I need to see the movies. I am intrigued by the new facts and I really hope they can find her. How amazing if she really made it to her destination!
    Well the interesting thing is, a body was found on this island in the 40's. At the time there was no connection, but now the researchers believe it may have been her. However, the bones are now lost, so they are looking for other evidence to place her on this island. So they will probably not FIND her, but at least be able to prove where she landed.

Check out the site of the team that is searching down there now. It is really neat and has had daily updates over the course of their last search.

EDIT: Meaning they will probably not find her BODY. The way I worded it made it sound like you thought they would find HER...when I know that is not what you meant.
    Last edited by Dulcinea; 06-10-2010 at 01:36 PM.

omfg, those coconut crabs are ugly mo fo's! YUCK!!!!

Historia Guest
    I am looking forward to the possibility of DNA testing on some of the artifacts they found. Thanks for the TIGHAR site with the updates, that is so interesting to me.

lab_rat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dulcinea View Post
    Well the interesting thing is, a body was found on this island in the 40's. At the time there was no connection, but now the researchers believe it may have been her. However, the bones are now lost, so they are looking for other evidence to place her on this island. So they will probably not FIND her, but at least be able to prove where she landed.

Check out the site of the team that is searching down there now. It is really neat and has had daily updates over the course of their last search.

EDIT: Meaning they will probably not find her BODY. The way I worded it made it sound like you thought they would find HER...when I know that is not what you meant.
    Great site!

Yes I too was reading about after her and the navigator
    crashed landed on that island.
    They had to build a fire around them at night while sleeping
    so the crabs wouldn't come out of the ocean and eat them.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

I have read that her husband was the one that wanted to get married, and she finally agreed to an "open" marriage.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    OMG those freaking crabs! Prehistoric and they inspire primative fear in me; make the hair on my neck stand up and give me shivers.

I've read the TIGHAR site on and off for years and read their book, as mentioned previously. I think they are on the money and I can't wait til they have conclusions.

I loathe Hillary Swank but the movie was okay. Fiction, I think, for the most part, but okay.

As a side note, it irritates the piss out of me when Hollywood takes poetic licesnce with bigoraphies. Just like Howard Hughes, Amelia's own life was such a story in itself. It didn't need tarting up.

32. 06-13-2010, 04:51 PM

lab_rat Guest

OMFG!!!!

Mrs. Watson Guest
    I can never decide if Amelia was lesbian or asexual. Either way, she certainly wasn't hip to the marriage thing. Which, in that time, I don't blame her at all.

She will always remain a heroine and role model to me.

I reiterate: GP sounds like a real shyster.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Thank you, Okidoll. You know I'm gonna be dreaming about that nasty crab. It's going to eat me, and my little dog too, in my sleep.

Bitch.

36. 06-13-2010, 05:10 PM

37. 06-13-2010, 05:11 PM

38. 06-13-2010, 05:12 PM

RogerV Guest
    I hope something comes of it. Earhart has been "found" so many times over the decades that I automatically reserve judgement. DNA would convince me, however...

BigBootyJudy Guest
    About the crabs-yes, you can eat them and they are very delicious. They have a kind of oily coconut flavor and the meat is very rich and they have a fatty pouch on the underside of their belly under the shell that is a giant fat patch that retains the coconut oil they eat and its out of this world rich. You can't eat them with anything except a little citrus or its just too much.

Klopek Guest

Amelia died in 1980.

Amelia died in 1980 as Irene Craigmille Bolam.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IreneAmelia.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	29337  

More on the bones discovered with a little more detail.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225972895286
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity09 View Post
    Amelia's note to George on the morning of their wedding day: "Dear G.P., there are some things which should be writ before we are married, things we have talked over before most of them. You must know again my reluctance to marry, my feeling that I shatter thereby chances in work which means to -- so much to me. I feel the move just now is foolish as anything I could do. I know there may be compensations, but I have no heart to look ahead. In our life together, I shall not hold you to any medieval code -- of faithfulness to me, nor shall I consider myself bound to you similarly ... Please let us not interfere with the other's work or play, nor let the world see our private joys or disagreements. In this connection, I may have to keep some place where I can go to be myself now and then, for I cannot guarantee to endure all the confinements of even an attractive cage. I must extract a cruel promise, and that is you will let me go in a year if we find no happiness together."
    Source: George Palmer Putnam. Soaring Wings: A Biography of Amelia Earhart. 1939. pg. 76.

Amelia in 1930 in a letter to a friend: "I am still unsold on marriage. I don't want anything, all the time ... I think I may not ever be able to see marriage except as a cage until I am unfit to work or fly or be active ..."
    Source: George Palmer Putnam. Soaring Wings: A Biography of Amelia Earhart. 1939. pg. 74.
    Forward thinking woman - I wonder why she married, considering those sentiments?

My father, who was a young adult at that time; always thought that Amelia and her navigator were lovers; and had chosen to "disappear".

I saw an interesting doco a few years ago that suggested that she had been "forced down" by Japanese fighter planes; and later executed as a spy.

Great mystery!
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBootyJudy View Post
    About the crabs-yes, you can eat them and they are very delicious. They have a kind of oily coconut flavor and the meat is very rich and they have a fatty pouch on the underside of their belly under the shell that is a giant fat patch that retains the coconut oil they eat and its out of this world rich. You can't eat them with anything except a little citrus or its just too much.

That's cool to know. Maybe they could survive awhile like that.

I guess it's hard to think of her dying. You want to hear about how she survived and killed dinosaurs and giant spiders with her pocket knife. Legend is bigger than the person.

knothere Guest

doyleloyal Guest
    that would be so cool if she was actually found. i almost don't doubt that it's her..

Makes you wonder that IF it was her, how long she lived on that island before she died?

Fancynancy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by knothere View Post

I've been fascinated with this since I was a kid. I first read about it when I was about ten and just never forgot about it. I hope it's her.

Quote Originally Posted by Fancynancy View Post
    I've been fascinated with this since I was a kid. I first read about it when I was about ten and just never forgot about it. I hope it's her.
    I have too and I hope it's her.

It seems premature of anyone to put out a press release about this though, doesn't it? They found a tiny sliver of bone on an island filled with all sorts of living creatures it could belong to and even compared it to bones from a turtle flipper.

Fancynancy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    I have too and I hope it's her.

It seems premature of anyone to put out a press release about this though, doesn't it? They found a tiny sliver of bone on an island filled with all sorts of living creatures it could belong to and even compared it to bones from a turtle flipper.

I know what you mean--I like to have things settled and tied up, I think. I don't like not knowing about a lot of things.

I saw a special on TV the other night, they said she could have survived for a long time as long as she did not get sick or get hurt.

They said if a person was dying, those creepy crabs would start eating on you while you were still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Leasie View Post
    I saw a special on TV the other night, they said she could have survived for a long time as long as she did not get sick or get hurt.

They said if a person was dying, those creepy crabs would start eating on you while you were still alive.
    They remind me of those lobster thingamajigs in Stephen King's Gunslinger series. In one of them, the hero Roland is in a situation where it's eat (to survive) or be eaten by them. He wins about half the time.

I've always wondered about why people assume Amelia had any sort of easy or cushy landing on the island. I think if that were the case much of the plane would've been found in tact.

I supposed they could've had a decent landing on the water and made their way to shore safely (the whole sink and ditch it theory) but I don't know. It seems to me to be asking a lot of the airplane safety technology of that era to expect it to be a reality.

Pat MaGroin Guest
    Scientists use letter saliva in final attempt to solve riddle of what happened to aviator Amelia Earhart

The mystery of what happened to the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic when she vanished over the Pacific Ocean almost 75 years ago is still yet to be solved.
    But scientists have now given Amelia Earhart's family new hope as they attempt to obtain a DNA profile for the pilot from her saliva - taken from envelope seals.
    A bone fragment was found on the South Pacific island of Nikumaroro two years ago and it is believed to have come from one of her fingers, but this has not been proven.

DNA match: Scientists are using Amelia Earhart's saliva to create a DNA profile to find if a bone fragment discovered on an island after the 1937 plane crash is hers

All possible traces of her DNA on clothing or hair have now dried up or are considered unreliable, and the bone fragment found could even have belonged to a sea turtle.
    A female aviation museum in Cleveland was once believed to have one of her hair samples, but a study two years ago found this specimen was actually only thread.

But because she sent personal letters to her family and these were removed from their envelopes with letter openers, the original seals are still licked shut.
    Researchers will compare DNA from the samples against living relatives to determine a match and will take a few months to build a profile, reported Time magazine.

Location: Ms Earhart vanished during her flight across the Pacific Ocean and may have died on Nikumaroro island after a suspected bone fragment was found there

Ms Earhart and her navigator, Fred Noonan, vanished over the Pacific Ocean in 1937 as they tried to fly around the world following the Equator in their twin-engine plane.
    ??Anyone can go and find a turtle shell and be like: ??I found Amelia Earhart's remains???, said Justin Long of Burnaby, Canada, whose family is partially funding the project.
    He is the grandson of 1970s aviator Elgen Long, who wrote the book ??Amelia Earhart: The Mystery Solved?? with his wife in 1999.
    Mr Long told National Geographic: ??We asked: ??How can we take wild claims like this and bring legitimacy back into the Amelia Earhart mystery?? And so we started looking at everything at our disposal.??

Lost: Ms Earhart was an aviation trailblazer, becoming the first woman to fly solo over the Atlantic Ocean in 1932, before she died after crashing five years later

Researchers have looked at 400 letters between Earhart and other people, finding four letters to her family which could be the most useful as she probably sealed them.
    Genetic archaeologist Dongya Yang, of Simon Fraser University in Burnaby, Canada, is leading the project.
    He will first carefully steam the seals open and take mitochondrial DNA, which is inherited from mothers, and nuclear DNA, containing most of our genetic information.

Evidence: Scientists hope these finger bone fragments found by researchers on the South Pacific island of Nikumaroro will match Ms Earhart's saliva DNA profile

If both types can be obtained then scientists will be able to create a genetic profile that will enable any potential remains to be identified.
    ??When we have the best technique available, that's when we'll move on to the real letters,?? Dr Yang told National Geographic.
    ??A strong licking or a light licking may leave more or less cells with the seal,' he added.

Experts say Dr Yang??s methodology is reasonable, but his team will find it more challenging to find nuclear than mitochondrial DNA, as each cell has only one copy.