Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Al Lewis

Al Lewis, AKA Grandpa Munster!

He was a character, and a true original. Does anyone have any personal info on Grandpa? Pics of his family, etc?

-K.
    Last edited by Kman0072; 11-02-2010 at 11:56 AM.

Morrissey Guest
    I don't have anything to contribute, but I do have to say how much I adored him.

I always say my niece has "Grandpa Munster" hair, since she's almost 3 months and has crazy baby hairs.

ghoulgurl Guest
    He totally rocked. He ran for governor of NY. I saw him speak in the Statler Building in Buffalo (It used to be an original Statler hotel). This was around the time of the Clinton/Lewinsky scandal. Al said at the top of his voice, paraquoting here, "Clinton is getting impeached for a blowj*b?! Gimme a break!"

RoRo Guest
    He was an original!!

OBX Guest
    As a kid I really liked him in Car 54, but I most admired the fact that he never apologized or felt bad for being a Munster. He really embraced it and enjoyed how much the fans loved him in that role.

God bless you Al! A true original.

don't_axe_me Guest
    Saw him standing in line at a McDonald's in Van Nuys once....loved that goofy grin

That's so cute, Morrissey! "Grandpa Munster" hair!!! : )
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

dirttrackdemon3 Guest

krypy22 Guest

I ate at his restaurant

Al Lewis had a really good restaurant in NYC that we used to eat at all the time in the early 90's. He was always there taking pictures with everyone and was really the nicest guy around. I wonder if the restaurant is still there? I forgot the name...it may have been Grandpas or something like that.

ComputerGuy Guest
    He operated a successful restaurant in New York City's Greenwich Village, Grandpa's, where he was a regular presence - chatting with customers, posing for pictures, and signing autographs. During the '90s he was a frequent guest on the Howard Stern radio show, once sending the shock jock diving for the delay button by leading an undeniably obscene chant against the Federal Communications Commission.

DelightfulDeathHag Guest
    Always liked him on the Munsters and that pic of him in the red hat is just too cute!!

I remember him from Car 54. Loved that show. He was great in The Munsters. Thought he'd live forever.
    Good Bye Grandpa.
    John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LupeVelez Guest
    I remember him running for political office. I thought he was still alive.

onehunglow Guest
    Mrs. Hung here (god I hate that name) while the old boy is off. Hubs favorite movie is "Used cars" and he plays the judge. I know have to watch it once a month. I don't share Hubs facination with death but I have to admit there is some cool non gross stuff her. I'm under orders to keep an eye on his post. He has not done shit since finding this site, thank you very much. I guess I am one hung hi?

EMF673 Guest

Ironically

Al was also managed in later years by Pat Priest's (Marilyn-Munsters) son; Pierce Jensen. Only recently retired from managing his Mother. For many years he would sell Al autograph and other celebrity items in auctions, including his grandmother's household items. His grandmother was Ivy Baker Priest (1905-1975), was a renown government official and served as United States Treasurer under the Eisenhower administration from 1953-1961. Al was a very nice man who did many things for charity, he was outspoken for equal rights and very much a loved family man to his children.

LOL @ Mrs. Hung heheehe

BamaDeathHag Guest
    I loved him on the munsters; he's the main reason I watch that show

dirk diggler Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kman0072 View Post
    He was a character, and a true original. Does anyone have any personal info on Grandpa? Pics of his family, etc?

-K.
    I just bought the Complete 2nd season of the Munsters 6 disc DVD set off ebay on disc 6(yeah say that 3 times quickly) there are bio's on Fred Gwynne,Yvonne DeCarlo and Al lewis plus a doco'"America's First Family Of Fright" I just watched the bio on Al it goes right back to his youth as Albert Meister his Father dying when young Al was only 6yr plus other family tragedies his early theatre work, tv stuff, movies, political stances some great images and old clips etc just to much to put in writing so if your a Munsters/Al Lewis fan definitely worth a look.
    Last edited by dirk diggler; 10-25-2007 at 11:56 PM.

Jack Raines Guest
    Here's a clip called "Out of the Closet Munsters" from Howard Stern's old early 1990s TV show, featuring Al Lewis. It's pretty much a total car wreck, but Al looks about the same age as he did in the 1960s. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v90exW-6yEo

onehunglow Guest

twist340 Guest
    i went to his restaurant years ago in the city.and he was there once and i got my picture taken with him.then one afternoon i went again and his son was there.all i can say is that he was very tall and had dark hair pulled back in a pony tail.the food was awesome! i don't know why they ever closed down.

Kathyf Guest
    I loved the Munster's he was so good at that part.

His wife....

Does anyone have any pictures?

-K.

Martini Guest
    Such a fun show to watch. My dad went to school with Yvonne DeCarlo, so we always watched it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	al-lewis-sized.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	2875  

tuesdays_jupiter Guest
    loved the show, even the movies that the munsters put out

SenorMuerto Guest
    Al Lewis was an expert on basketball, especially on the college level. He even did scouting for teams.

mel306 Guest
    He owned a comedy club here in Staten Island too, called Grandpa's I believe. My dad met him, said he was cool.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaDeathHag View Post
    I loved him on the munsters; he's the main reason I watch that show
    Ditto! Love 'grampa' !!

Noelle Page Guest
    Those Munsters episodes really hold up. Very funny. Always preferred them to the Addamses.

On the DVD set, they show the Munsters pilot. It's very bizarre. A different Lilly, acting very sexy with Herman. Ew. A different Eddie too, being a total brat.

death hag dee Guest
    Ok Maybe you death hags can help (especially you in NJ) I seem to remember that he was filming on location in NJ like 17 yrs ago.....does anyone know if:

A. this is true
    or
    B. If it is true the name of the movie??

GREAT link on Al Lewis!

An interview with Al from 1997. Long, but oh so funny.

http://mediafilter.org/shadow/S43/S43grand.html

Guest Guest
    An interview with Al from 1997. Long, but oh so funny.

http://mediafilter.org/shadow/S43/S43grand.html
    Thanks Kman, am a huge Munsters fan! Grandpa was cool.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    He seemed like a cool guy. I enjoyed seeing him from time to time in cameo roles in movies as Grandpa.

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    On the DVD set, they show the Munsters pilot. It's very bizarre. A different Lilly, acting very sexy with Herman. Ew. A different Eddie too, being a total brat.
    Here's the YouTube page where that color 18 minute pilot is posted in 3 parts: http://www.youtube.com/user/livefreesportsonline

In the pilot, Joan Marshall played Herman's wife "Phoebe", not Lilly. Joan was dressed too much like Carolyn Jones' Morticia Addams and very hot! Nate "Happy" Derman played a nasty Eddie. After a re-tooling and another pilot (shot in black in white) Yvonne De Carlo replaced Marshall as Herman's wife "Lilly" and played the role more matronly than blatant sexy (as Marshall did as Phoebe) and Butch Patrick replaced Derman as Eddie, playing the part as nice normal kid who happened to be a werewolf. The other cast members stayed on for the first season...Fred Gwynne, Beverly Owen, and Al Lewis.

A number of years ago in our local throw away paper they was an ad about him appearing at a garden center, no charge or anything to get an autograph.
    I took my wife and kids there a little after the time he got there, looked at the absolute mob scene and all I did was I went thru the front entrance of the store, he was in full grandpa makeup sitting on a throne with this jet black cigar sticking out of his mouth signing a picture for a kid.

Doesn't this man just make you want to SMILE?

In color this time:

And here's Al and Fred, off camera!

Reecy Guest
    I miss Grandpa. He was always smiling. I wish someone would dress up as Grandpa this Halloween in remembrance of him.

KarmaKat Guest

Always loved the Munsters.
    Al was an amazing actor. And from what I have read he seemed to be a wonderful man as well.

james1977 Guest

Al Lewis- The Best

Quote Originally Posted by Reecy View Post
    I miss Grandpa. He was always smiling. I wish someone would dress up as Grandpa this Halloween in remembrance of him.
    Here's Grandpa, the way he really was. Just a great dude. I wish we had more like him.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlXfzn1Q_Pc

Reecy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by james1977 View Post
    Here's Grandpa, the way he really was. Just a great dude. I wish we had more like him.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlXfzn1Q_Pc
    I loved it. LOL.......... Dayton Ohio? I thought he came from Brooklyn? He had to go all the way down there to get laid. LOL..........

A tribute he would enjoy!

Reecy Guest
    ^ ^ ^

LOL................ That looks just like him. RIP Grandpa...

Quote Originally Posted by Reecy View Post
    ^ ^ ^

LOL................ That looks just like him. RIP Grandpa...
    Yes, it certainly does. He was awesome!

I love your avatar, by the way.

Glad you liked the picture.

Bessolo Guest
    I too visited his restaurant (it was on Bleecker St just off 6th ave in what I recall was a former A&P grocery store). Chatted with him about his career and he confirmed to me that had been in vaudeville as his characterizations led me to that conclusion. I recall him in Car 54 in as well. Nice and interesting guy.

A friend of mine ran into him when he was around 10 years old (late 60's), this was out on the street in Greenwich Village. He asked for an autograph an Al opened up his briefcase and pulled out an 8x10 glossy that he had already signed! Never heard of anyone pulling that before or since LOL

Bessolo Guest

Always thought Al and Corey Feldman shared an uncanny resemblance.

Name:	corey_feldman_1982478.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	29229  

Quote Originally Posted by Bessolo View Post
    Always thought Al and Corey Feldman shared an uncanny resemblance.
    definetly, its the mouth!

Pat MaGroin Guest
    LOL, "Don't Fear The Beaver"

Pat MaGroin Guest

Al Lewis Signed Picture

Here is a signed solo picture I have of Al - I miss him on the Howard Stern Show.

Something that bugged me - His widow personally asked Howard Stern to attend his New York funeral and Howard did not. All the great content and support that Al supplied to Howard's show over many years (including his outrageous Munster's skits on Howard's Channel 9 Show) and Howard just blows off his funeral. pffffft

Name:	AlLewis.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	165.9 KB 
ID:	29493  

Mulvaness Guest
    I love this guy!!!!!