Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Edie Sedgwick

Edie Sedgwick

I remember when Nico died in the summer of 88. Didn't she fall of her bike? Oh, and Edie..I think the Cult song, "Edie, Ciao, baby" says it all. What a mess.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    That movie with Sienna Miller is abysmal. Factory Girl. Not even worth checking out of the library for free. It attempts to be all arsty farsty and well. Blues Clues is more artsy.

LOL!!! Really? That's too bad. I wanted to see it.

hoxharding Guest
    Ciao Manhatten with Edie is worth watching.

Noelle Page Guest
    The movie was silly but I thought Sienna was excellent--the look, the voice, everything. Beats me how you could come closer to Edie. Hayden Christensen, however, was embarrassing as Dylan.
    I remember reading that Katie Holmes was being considered for the Edie role...I can almost see that too....she sort of has the look.

erin Guest
    honestly, i wouldn't have known who edie sedgwick was if not for 'factory girl'. i was never a big fan of that whole art scene, and never bacame interested. i thought sienna did a good job after having seen a bit more about edie afterward.

cherryghost Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Watson View Post
    That movie with Sienna Miller is abysmal. Factory Girl. Not even worth checking out of the library for free. It attempts to be all arsty farsty and well. Blues Clues is more artsy.

Really dissapointing film. The behind the scenes of the DVD was more interesting.

cherryghost Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    The movie was silly but I thought Sienna was excellent--the look, the voice, everything. Beats me how you could come closer to Edie. Hayden Christensen, however, was embarrassing as Dylan.
    I remember reading that Katie Holmes was being considered for the Edie role...I can almost see that too....she sort of has the look.
    Hayden Christensen was playing a folk singer at the time who could not be called Dylan or portrayed any more closely as Dylan.

Dylan was threatening to sue and the film tried to get around it!

His was a composite character that didnt work!

I dont think Dylan was all that nice to Edie and a lot of other people, He seems to have strange relationships with women. But Im a total Dylan fan regardless.

Has anyone seen Ciao Manhattan, its Edie and quite a fascinating Doco! Sorry if its already been mentioned!

missy Guest
    I actually enjoyed Factory Girl and own it on DVD - Sienna Miller did a fantastic job, and considering his character/role was completely butchered by the film makers, i felt Hayden Christensen did a great job also.

Cherryghost i have seen Ciao Manhattan - incredibly interesting to hear her perspective on life, she was certainly a fascinating person.

letty1970 Guest
    I have read books on both these ladies and found them both really interesting.You could see how both their lives would turn out. Edies was tragic in that she was very young when she died, it looked like she was getting better. She was also badly let down by Warhol , she adored him .)this also goes for most the men in her life)I didnt mind the movie took me a while to realize that hayden was meant to be Dylan duuuurrrr. NIco on the other hand didnt need men, but she did need the drugs. I found a great book about the last years of her life told by the bassist in her band.Some of the stories were so funny she didnt give a shit. After all the risks she took in her life she goes and falls of her bike and dies .

I adore both Edie and Nico. Nico actually died of a cerebral hemorrhage. She was riding her bike at the time and a taxi driver found her lying beside it. No hospital would take her because they figured she was some old hippy with sunstroke. Finally the taxi driver insisted she be admitted and it was discovered she has suffered a massive hemorrhage that was first thought to be a heart attack.

The Factory Girl movie is a joke. I really enjoyed Sienna's portrayal of Edie, but the story itself was nothing more than lies. Edie was actually involved with Dylan's best friend, not Dylan. More than likely, any relationship Edie had with Dylan was in her head. Ciao! Manhattan is really good. Actually, the movie itself is pretty out there, but it's great to see Edie in a non-Warholian film. Her "performance" is heartbreaking. She's so out of it.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Watson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    LOL!!! Really? That's too bad. I wanted to see it.
    That's a shame I wanted to see it too. My plan was to pretend Sienna wasn't in it.

Hmmm...maybe but she couldn't get out of saying lines & that would have ruined it.

cherryghost Guest
    Nico had quite a long relationship with the Punk Poet John Cooper Clarke and lived with him in Manchester for years..... dont know what happened there!

All I have read of Edie always mentions the Dylan connection! I think she fell in love with him and of course there are a few great songs always said to have been written by Dylan about her! "Leopard skin Pillbox hat" and "Just like a women" two gorgous ones!
    Last edited by cherryghost; 03-18-2008 at 07:11 PM.

LemonPopsicle Guest
    I love Ciao Manhattan! I wish the script for Factory Girl had been better. You can see that Sienna tried really hard but it just wasn't there.

I thought Factory Girl was depressing, and it made me despise pretentious old Andy Warhol even more. Sliiiimy.

More Cheese Please Guest

cherryghost Guest
    Factory girl was just a dissapointing little film, dont take it too much to heart there are much better sources of information on Andy and the factory. Try going straight to his art and the films he made!
    I always think its good to approach Andy with a sense of humour too! He was really funny at times! Then of course there is the other element of his humanity but often great talents are not great people!

More Cheese Please Guest

More Cheese Please Guest

cherryghost Guest
    Thanks more cheese this is great!

More Cheese Please Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
    Thanks more cheese this is great!

Nico... My Funny Valentine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1xplddbEnY

Edie Tribute to the sounds of Bob Dylan... outstanding...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWxQVTTAkvc

More Cheese Please Guest

More Cheese Please Guest

More Cheese Please Guest

John Connor Guest

Edie Sedgwick

April 20, 1943-Nov.16,1971

Edie was one of my big icons when I was young and tragic
    She has had an enormous effect on pop culture.
    Really, really f*cked up family.
    Andy's muse til he dumped her.
    Voracious drug habit.

burgtwngrl Guest
    Kyra Seemed to turn out alright so the entire family doesn't seem to be all messed up

John Connor Guest
    I think they are very distant cousins. Her immediate family was insane. She was most likely molested by her father. One brother commited suicide. The other ran his motorcycle into a bus. Wheter that was deliberate is unknown.

SistaSara Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by keeunjames View Post
    I think they are very distant cousins. Her immediate family was insane. She was most likely molested by her father. One brother commited suicide. The other ran his motorcycle into a bus. Wheter that was deliberate is unknown.
    She was a cousin of the actress Kyra Sedgwick - Kyra's father and Edie were 1st cousins.

michael d Guest
    The movie "Factory Girl" was pretty disappointing. I think her relationship with Warhol was probably more complex than depicted.

Martini M. Guest
    Whatever happened to the man she was married to when she died? I think his last name was Post?

Vamp Guest
    She was amazing and ever so pretty. Her death was a tragedy. It is so hard to believe Kyra is her cousin. (I believe Kyra's father was Edie's first cousin.) Kyra has been married forever, never did drugs etc.

I get the impression Edie's father was quite abusive, physically and perhaps sexually as well. Poor Edie.

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    She is married to Kevin Bacon, right?????

Vamp Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghoulie Girl View Post
    She is married to Kevin Bacon, right?????
    Yes, I think they have been married nearly 20 years and they have two kids.

John Connor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by michael d View Post
    The movie "Factory Girl" was pretty disappointing. I think her relationship with Warhol was probably more complex than depicted.
    the story didn't say anything new but I thought the performances by Siennas Miller and especially Guy pearce as Andy were great.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    April 20, 1943-Nov.16,1971

Edie was one of my big icons when I was young and tragic
    She has had an enormous effect on pop culture.
    Really, really f*cked up family.
    Andy's muse til he dumped her.
    Voracious drug habit.
    Ciao, Manhattan!

Edie:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Edie_sedgwick1966.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	6859   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	edie.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	6861  

More:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	edie.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	6863   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	edie_3.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	6864  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Noreen Guest
    I have read alot about her. Poor little rich girl. I would like to know what her husband is up to these days too.

Caio Edie, RIP

John Connor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noreen View Post
    I have read alot about her. Poor little rich girl. I would like to know what her husband is up to these days too.

Caio Edie, RIP
    His name was Michael post. I'm guessing he would be about 60 now. He was younger than Edie.

Question: How do you know Kyra Sedgwick has never done drugs? I used to serve Kevin Bacon in a restaurant alot years ago. Correction, serve the people he was with as he never ate. Even as a young man he was this little, bent old man. He always used her credit card and he was weird.

There is a great bio about her called Edie: An American Biography, by Jean Stein. I think it was published in 1982 or 1983. It details her crazy family including the eccentricities of the Sedgewick clan in general (ie: the Sedgewick Pie) as well as her anorexia drug abuse and of course the Warhol times.

A good read if you're a fan or child of the 60's or you like good biographies.

And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
    Shall be lifted--nevermore!

John Connor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by el gato malo View Post
    There is a great bio about her called Edie: An American Biography, by Jean Stein. I think it was published in 1982 or 1983. It details her crazy family including the eccentricities of the Sedgewick clan in general (ie: the Sedgewick Pie) as well as her anorexia drug abuse and of course the Warhol times.

A good read if you're a fan or child of the 60's or you like good biographies.
    It is good and seems to be the only book they used to reference the movie.
    Ciao Manhattan is also an odd little adventure.

Yes. After posted I realized I had forgotten about her mainstream modeling career and in addition to Ciao Manhattan, Beauty No. 2 and The Bed.

I know they attribute her death to her drug addiction, but the anorexia didn't help either. There were pictures of her in the book where she was absolutely skeletal.
    And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
    Shall be lifted--nevermore!

kandykisses Guest
    OK I am going to be the bitch in this thread and say the obvious. She was kind of the Paris Hilton of her generation. She was beautiful and tragic-but as far as accomplishments what did she do with her life besides take drugs, be the girlfriend of Andy Warhol and star in his shit films?

she was pretty and she was tragic and I guess that is the fascination.

She reminds me abit of Melissa George, i know kyra but not Edie she was very pretty

Tebssis Guest
    His name was Michael post. I'm guessing he would be about 60 now. He was younger than Edie.

Question: How do you know Kyra Sedgwick has never done drugs? I used to serve Kevin Bacon in a restaurant alot years ago. Correction, serve the people he was with as he never ate. Even as a young man he was this little, bent old man. He always used her credit card and he was weird.
    Probably why he's so good at playing weird parts, lives it in real life.
    Maybe Kyra's card had a cheaper interest rate.

But back to the topic, Edie was a beautiful woman and it's a shame she died so young. With her money and looks, the world should have been hers on a platter. Sad.

kandykisses Guest

That is an odd and interesting recollection. What else did you observe about Kevin. He may be strange but he's fascinating to me.

Noelle Page Guest
    the story didn't say anything new but I thought the performances by Siennas Miller and especially Guy pearce as Andy were great.
    Yes, Sienna was terrific. Scary good. I could almost mix them up.

kandykisses Guest
    I've always wanted to see the movie out of curiosity. I thought Sienna was a good pick for Eddie.

michael d Guest
    Yes, Sienna was terrific. Scary good. I could almost mix them up.
    I agree, I came away with a lot of respect for her. She seemed more dimensional than the other characters. The depiction of Dylan was terrible. I know they had to work around him as he wanted nothing to do with the movie. I believe he threatened to sue. She was a muse for two very different artists who arguably had the greatest impact on pop culture. What an awesome sound track that should have been.

mcconk2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Martini M. View Post
    Whatever happened to the man she was married to when she died? I think his last name was Post?
    Would that be Wilbur Post from Mr Ed?