Thread: Nico (Christa Päffgen)

Nico (Christa Päffgen)

Nico was a german model/actress/singer. You may remember her from The Velvet Underground or Federico Fellini's La Dolce Vita. The irony of her death is that she had been a heroin user for 20 years and when she finally quit, she died. She had a minor heart attack while riding her bicycle, and hit her head as she fell. A passing taxi driver found her unconscious, but had difficulty getting her admitted to local hospitals. She was incorrectly diagnosed as suffering from exposure, and she died the next day. X-rays later revealed severe bleeding in Nico's brain as the cause of her death.
    Last edited by Schultz; 08-12-2008 at 10:38 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Genevieve Guest
    I love her album Chelsea Girls. There are some absolutely brilliant songs on there, written by some of the finest songwriters. Other than Velvet Underground and Nico I haven't got any other records by her - I must do some investigating! Alain Delon always denied her son was his, although his parents raised the child. I wonder what has happened to the son? Delon seems slightly cold-blooded to me, seems like he chewed up and spat out Romy Schneider too.

Oh, you should definitely look for "real" Nico albums. The Velvet Underground & Nico and Chelsea Girl were written by other musicians, except for "It Was A Pleasure Then" (co-written by Nico).

Nico's son (Ari) is currently a photographer/actor. He lives with his wife and children in Paris.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Genevieve Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by romulodessotti View Post
    Oh, you should definitely look for "real" Nico albums. The Velvet Underground & Nico and Chelsea Girl were written by other musicians, except for "It Was A Pleasure Then" (co-written by Nico).
    Alright I will then! Thanks for the info.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    I read that she took Iggy Pop's virginity. OUCH!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Death Hag Chris View Post
    I read that she took Iggy Pop's virginity. OUCH!!!!
    It's easier the other way around. She hardly had any sex because of her early traumatic experiences - supposedly she was raped by an american soldier as a young adolescent.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death Hag Chris Guest
    I read Iggy's auto bio I Need More, and that's where I read that. that guy makes Tommy Lee look like a baby. I honestly don't know much about Nico other than the fact that she was in the Velvet Underground and was a junkie. but Iggy has always been very open about his life. so, I don't think he would lie about his first time.

The common misconception about her is that she was a slut, a groupie. She wasn't.

I read somewhere that Iggy Pop said Nico was a man in a woman's body. Hahaha...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

nico was brilliant. Desertshore is probably my favorite. i think she was probably one of the most gorgeous women to ever live.

have you seen the doc about her? pretty interesting...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity. ~Edvard Munch

Quote Originally Posted by elnoradawn View Post
    nico was brilliant. Desertshore is probably my favorite. i think she was probably one of the most gorgeous women to ever live.

Sure. I got it on DVD.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by elnoradawn View Post

I did rent that. Isn't that the one with the footage of a VERY young Iggy, in a cemetary or something?

cherryghost Guest

Nico

Nico of the Velvets and a solo career! An aloof beauty with a heavy deep voice! fronted the Velvet Underground! In later years was the partner of the Poet/Musician John Cooper Clarke and died oddly by falling from her bike while riding around the island of Ibiza! She died from a stroke I recall which caused her to fall from the bike! Im hazy on this so will correct or be corrected happily!

firegilnotguns Guest

14. 11-26-2007, 04:40 AM

cherryghost Guest
    I was always fascinated by the relationship she had with John Cooper Clarke!

Wow Im watching Andy Warhols Factory People a doco on OVTON ? guessing its short for the Ovation Channel? I dunno but Nico was fucking fab and beautiful but her speaking voice sounds just like her singing voice haunting and traging she could say fucking bloody pantaloons and I would shit. Such a beauty as well. Lucky she attained her brief fleeting legacy though how many much more talented people got ran over by the drug train before they could reach full stride? Oh well fuck them Nico rocks her voice is the sound of a glacier scraping cities from the landscape very powerful yet unnerving. We are blessed that she was born after the advent of magnetic tape recordings. Most female pop artists in her wake werent or arent fit to eat the dried menstrual spongecake from her 40 year old pads.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Lotusflower Guest
    In reference to Nico and Ari, I came across this article a while back. I have always been very facinated by Nico. Cool chick !!

When Alain Delon's mother, Edith Boulogne, saw Ari's photograph in a French newspaper, she was instantly convinced it was her son's child.

Edith Boulogne [Alain Delon's mother]:

"I said to myself, that's my son's child. We went to see her [Nico], her and the baby. The kid was about two years old. He came running into my husband's arms. We were so moved. I saw my own son in him. And I truly believed that my son would accept him... When he heard about it two years after we had taken the baby, he had his agent tell me that I had to choose between the baby and my son. My husband said, 'Your son can feed himself, but Ari can't raise himself.' So we kept him.

Think about it, he was so little. Before we took him, she [Nico] dragged him around everywhere. He ate nothing but french fries, in train stations, hotels, airports. They lived like bohemians. She came to see him once in three years. She brought him something from America. Guess what? An orange. My husband and I looked at each other, speechless. We took the orange and thought, she's really not like other people... but I still liked her. She was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen".

Delon's mother adopted the child, giving him his last name: 'Boulogne'. At the age of 17, Ari ran off from his adoptive parents, joined Nico and became a heroin addict - turned on to the drug by mother (!). Five years later, on july 8th 1988, Nico fell from her bicycle while on Ibiza on and was brought unconscious to Cannes Nisto Hospital,were she died from a brain hemorrhage. Thereafter, Ari spent his much of his life in and out of detoxication clinics and psychiatric hospitals. In 2001, at the age of 38, living in Paris, he fathers a son and writes a book about his relationship with his mother called "L'Amour N'Oublie Jamais" (Love Never Forgets). Currently, Ari works intermittently as an actor under the name of Ari Päffgen, recently appearing in La Repentie, a movie about a mysterious, black-clad femme fatale.

Source: http://surrealdocuments.blogspot.com.../nico-ari.html

Lotusflower Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    We are blessed that she was born after the advent of magnetic tape recordings. Most female pop artists in her wake werent or arent fit to eat the dried menstrual spongecake from her 40 year old pads.
    LOL... now that is pretty funny

Lout_Rampage Guest
    Wow Im watching Andy Warhols Factory People a doco on OVTON ? guessing its short for the Ovation Channel? I dunno but Nico was fucking fab and beautiful but her speaking voice sounds just like her singing voice haunting and traging she could say fucking bloody pantaloons and I would shit. Such a beauty as well. Lucky she attained her brief fleeting legacy though how many much more talented people got ran over by the drug train before they could reach full stride? Oh well fuck them Nico rocks her voice is the sound of a glacier scraping cities from the landscape very powerful yet unnerving. We are blessed that she was born after the advent of magnetic tape recordings. Most female pop artists in her wake werent or arent fit to eat the dried menstrual spongecake from her 40 year old pads.
    Oh wow, I'm watching that too! Twinkies!

blair Guest
    Let's face it--if Nico looked like Ethyl Mertz, she would never have been let into a recording studio.

Did she have ovarian cancer too before she died? I always thought Alain Delon was a rat for treating her and his child like that.

Noreen Guest
    I have always loved her, I will have to find that doc about her and the books!
    Thanks guys! She really was a Femme fatale!
    I knew some friends that met her, not long before she died, they brought her home to spend a couple of nights. She was strung out and pretty much homeless. It's very sad. Her voice is haunting. Of course, I love all the Velvet Underground songs she sang, and the Jackson Browne song "These days"

RIP Nico

Seagorath Guest
    Iggy Pop said that he squeezed green fluid out of his penis after having an all-nighter with Nico...She really got around.

Lotusflower Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagorath View Post
    Iggy Pop said that he squeezed green fluid out of his penis after having an all-nighter with Nico...She really got around.
    Oh....barf......

cherryghost Guest
    Give us a banana yeah give us the velvets yeah. The velvet Underground and Nico is great Saturday music in the daytime! She was with John Cooper clarke there for a while but Im repeating myself! Days gone by!

Ich have you ever thought of putting your great emmitions to the NME for publication your a bit Tony parsons and better Burchill when they really rocked!

They need someone like you now to comment on the banal state of music as it is and it would get up everyones bums verbally! Music would improve I bet!
    your career adviser Cherrylove!

RIPWELLSTONE Guest

One of the BEST albums EVER!!!

Noreen Guest
    What do they say about that VU album? That only a handfull of people heard it, but those handfull started bands that changed modern music.

Sounds like a riddle but it was a quote I read somewhere,I agree with it.

Lou Reed and John Cale are brilliant! Nico once said that Lou wrote the most beautiful songs ever, but he only wrote 3 for her:
    Femme Fatale
    All Tommorrow's Parties
    I'll be your Mirror

I love femme fatale, but my favorite has got to be Venus in furs.

Lout_Rampage Guest
    The is a mental image I really could have done without. Ack.

burgtwngrl Guest
    There's something about her voice that I just don't like, I've tried to like it... but just can't I do like Venus in Furs... I like the Remake of Femme Fatale by Duran Duran in the 90's.

deathpool Guest
    She was a true beauty. She looked a bit like Sharon Tate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nico3.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	11441  

burgtwngrl Guest
    Yes she was beautiful and very sad she died so young.

deathpool Guest
    Yes its sad. Especially after giving up Heroin and then dying from an accident.

Shannon Guest
    I bet Iggy squeezed things of all colors every night from his dick that had nothing to do with Nico.
    Long live the Lizerd Queen

cherryghost Guest
    Iggy said she taught him how to perform cunninglingus........... "suck/kiss pussy" his words I cant remember exactly and she had had affairs before him and was quite lost!

Iggy was very hot around that time I imagine he could have had any woman he wanted mostly!

But then I think he is a sex god!

Shannon Guest
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgdZFnZ6M0k
    Nico - "I'm Not Saying"
    Tell me she is not pretty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QibLF...eature=related
    Nicos last recording. A Marc Almond song nonetheless. This queen keeps good company.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Nice photo Ich, she was beautiful.
    I read she spent several days in the desert with Jim Morrisson and some mescalin or peyote

Guest Guest
    Not a bad looking lady! Lol, when I first heard Nico sing, I thought it was a depressed man!
    Odd how she died from injuries relating to falling off a bicycle!

Long Gone Day Guest
    Nico and Ari

rockalittle Guest
    she was pretty..she looked like a young Marianne Faithful in a lot of the younger pics..

wasn't Nico the one who claimed to be Jim Morrison's muse....?? or vice versa...??

there is a creepy youtube video of her, if that is the same one..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XznC8PzQrJo

a little tidbit of them..
    http://archives.waiting-forthe-sun.n...omen/nico.html

kind of funny how so many ppl associated with Morrison are also associated with Iggy Pop..Danny Sugarman (RIP)being the leader of the pack!!

TallulahDahling Guest

Nico's grave in Berlin

TallulahDahling Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rockalittle View Post
    she was pretty..she looked like a young Marianne Faithful in a lot of the younger pics..

Yes, she did! Like this:

I think Kate Moss strongly resembles her.

She does! Except for the whole Nico looks like she weighs more than five pounds, thing.

PurrPurr Guest
    If you want to do some reading on Nico (and haven't discovered this book), check out "Nico: The End" by James Young. I found the paperback version on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Nico-End-James.../dp/0879515457

Seagorath Guest
    Nico with Brian Eno (and John Cale and Kevin Ayers)...The End...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKK9vUh3h58