Thread: John Panozzo Drummer for Styx

Danny62 Guest

John Panozzo Drummer for Styx

He was the drummer for the band Styx!

Sep, 20, 1948-July 16, 1996

Years of partying with styx and excessive drinking began to take its toll on his liver. In the mid-1990's as Styx was about to embark on it first world tour with the classic line up since 1983, John fell seriously ill and began battling cirrhosis of the liver, eventually dying of
    gastroinestinal hemorrhaging he was 47 years old.

I thought Styx's music kind of boring!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    He was the drummer for the band Styx!

Sep, 20, 1948-July 16, 1996

Years of partying with styx and excessive drinking began to take its toll on his liver. In the mid-1990's as Styx was about to embark on it first world tour with the classic line up since 1983, John fell seriously ill and began battling cirrhosis of the liver, eventually dying of
    gastroinestinal hemorrhaging he was 47 years old.

I thought Styx's music kind of boring!!!
    And his brother is Gay and living with AIDS...poor guy.

Yeah, I only liked a couple of songs by Styx ("Why Me", and "Lights"), the other stuff was a bit too over the top for me, and gets played to DEATH on the radio...

I love Styx!!!

Shes Not There Guest

2 good Styx songs

"Haven't We Been Here Before" and "Just Get Through This Night". Both are on the Kilroy Was Here album and neither were sung by Dennis DeYoung. Check them out...I have alot of respect for Tommy Shaw.

GODDESS6 Guest
    the hubby & i absolutely love styx & had seen them in concert right before he died, very sad~ didn't he have a twin?~

deathybrad Guest
    I hate Styx. There is something about them that I don't get. My uncle thinks he's the biggest Styx fan ever, Styx seems to be represented by simpletons like my uncle. ***No offense to present company intended.***

Quote Originally Posted by GODDESS6 View Post
    the hubby & i absolutely love styx & had seen them in concert right before he died, very sad~ didn't he have a twin?~
    His twin brother is the one with AIDS - he's one of the original members. I forget his name...

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    His twin brother is the one with AIDS - he's one of the original members. I forget his name...
    Chuck Panozzo (born Charles Salvatore Panozzo, on September 20, 1948, in Chicago) is a bass player. A longtime member of the rock band Styx, he founded the group with his fraternal twin brother, drummer John Panozzo, who died in July 1996. After three decades as a Styx mainstay, Chuck Panozzo left the band shortly thereafter, though he has reappeared with the band occasionally.
    In 2001, Panozzo announced he was gay and living with AIDS, and he has been involved in campaigning for AIDS awareness and gay rights. In 2006, he spoke with Frontiers Magazine for the first time about his decision to come out. The following year he released his autobiography The Grand Illusion: Love, Lies, and My Life With Styx.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    Chuck Panozzo (born Charles Salvatore Panozzo, on September 20, 1948, in Chicago) is a bass player. A longtime member of the rock band Styx, he founded the group with his fraternal twin brother, drummer John Panozzo, who died in July 1996. After three decades as a Styx mainstay, Chuck Panozzo left the band shortly thereafter, though he has reappeared with the band occasionally.
    In 2001, Panozzo announced he was gay and living with AIDS, and he has been involved in campaigning for AIDS awareness and gay rights. In 2006, he spoke with Frontiers Magazine for the first time about his decision to come out. The following year he released his autobiography The Grand Illusion: Love, Lies, and My Life With Styx.
    Thanks Dan - goes to show how much of a "fan" I am of Styx - LOL.

Danny62 Guest
    Thanks Dan - goes to show how much of a "fan" I am of Styx - LOL.
    Oh I just cheated and searched the web. I had no Idea he had a twin brother.

I am really not much of a fan of Styx!! They overplayed them on the radio in the 70's!!!

RubySlippers Guest
    I love STYX. They have toured the last couple of years with Def Leppard and Foriegner and I KEEP MISSING THEM!

BTW - I was born in '76, which makes me a strange fan indeed since I was a babe when they were at their most popular. I guess I can thank my parents for that! Great how generation after generation we are able to keep bands alive over decades....

Death Hag Chris Guest
    not a Styx fan by any stretch. but being from Chicago, I feel the need to show support for any band that breaks out of this town. even that whiney asshole Billy Corgan...i'll be honest, the only Styx song I ever liked was The Best Of Times. sappy, but a good song. it brings me back to my younger days growing up in the city.

Mr Roboto is when Styx "jumped the shark" in my opinion.

Did anybody see VH-1's "Behind the Music" when they profiled Styx? Apparently it was pretty controversial and there is no love lost between Dennis DeYoung and the rest of the band.

I wish I would have taped it when I saw it - damn! Luckily I taped a few others tho (Reo Speedwagon, Heart, and Journey).

That was such a damn good show!

RubySlippers Guest

Did anybody see VH-1's "Behind the Music" when they profiled Styx? Apparently it was pretty controversial and there is no love lost between Dennis DeYoung and the rest of the band.

I wish I would have taped it when I saw it - damn! Luckily I taped a few others tho (Reo Speedwagon, Heart, and Journey).

HEY! Can you buy episodes of "Behind the Music"? I would totally do that. That and "Pop Up Video."

Quote Originally Posted by RubySlippers View Post
    HEY! Can you buy episodes of "Behind the Music"? I would totally do that. That and "Pop Up Video."
    Actually I think the ONLY episodes of BTM that's out there that was released is Shania Twain, and Metallica - maybe another one. I'm not sure. But the GOOD ones haven't been released.

VH-1 has had a lot of good shows on there I wish were on DVD - but sadly, they won't release them.
    I think it has to do with licensing rights for the music.

RubySlippers Guest
    Actually I think the ONLY episodes of BTM that's out there that was released is Shania Twain, and Metallica - maybe another one. I'm not sure. But the GOOD ones haven't been released.

VH-1 has had a lot of good shows on there I wish were on DVD - but sadly, they won't release them.
    JERKS
    Yeah, that happened with "The Wonder Years". It took, them forever because there was so much great music associated with the series. But they finally released it. Ironic -Metallica "allowing" to sell thier BTM. But then again, it IS all about the money.
    JEEZ.

GODDESS6 Guest

i agree, stevie nicks & fleetwood mac did BTM & storytellers & neither was released, i have them thru a bootleg source, but it sucks they never officially released them~

endsleigh03 Guest

Yes it was a good show.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Not my kind of music, big stadium type rock. Did like "snowblind" tho.

RoRo Guest
    lol they still play them too durn much here especially Babe.....<gags>
    I remember playing snowblind backwards too hear the hidden message.....don't remember what it said now ...of course something about Satan lol

firegilnotguns Guest
    I saw Styx several years back...my stupid ex-boyfriend made us leave before it ended because it was raining and the concert was outside...:shakes fist at stupid ex-boyfriend!:

Forever-27 Guest
    Early Styx isnt bad. Say everything before The Grand Illusion. After that the band got too Mtv-ish and I lost interest. Pieces of Eight, Styx, Styx 2, all great records. Hated Paradise Theater and everything after that album big time. I honestly didnt know the band lost their original drummer.

Lotusflower Guest
    I don't get Styx to be honest. Never did much for me, but taste is like your backside... devided !!

lisalouver Guest
    Oh my, Styx is actually my favorite band of all time. Pieces of Eight, Grand Illusion, yea they were big time.

Once Dennis DeYoung left the band over "differences" with Tommy Shaw, their fate was sealed.

I habve ssen them probably about a dozen times in the last 5 years, but is is Dennis's show on his own that I love so much. He sounds like he did 35 years ago and he really is the voice of Styx. My siggy is from him!

Back on topic, John Panozzo....yea, he died of what we in the death biz call a GI bleed. It is what most chronic alcoholics die of. They are almost always on the toliet and the bathroom will be covered in blood. They puke up something that looks like coffee grounds and what comes out of their rear end is a bloody mess too. They are not pretty sites to go to.

His brother as someone else already mentioned died of AIDS.

WriterDude Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    ...His brother as someone else already mentioned died of AIDS.
    To my knowledge, Chuck Panozzo is still living.

rickenbacker Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    Early Styx isnt bad. Say everything before The Grand Illusion. After that the band got too Mtv-ish and I lost interest. Pieces of Eight, Styx, Styx 2, all great records. Hated Paradise Theater and everything after that album big time. I honestly didnt know the band lost their original drummer.

Just came in to say this...I see you have it covered! Before DeYoung went over the top with that Broadway style of singing, and before the power ballad craze, Styx was a damn good rock and roll band. Pick up Equinox. That was the last album with original guitarist John Curulewski (I'm sure I butchered the spelling!). Tommy Shaw replaced him. When I heard crap like Babe, or Too Much Time On My Hands, I thought "how can this be the same band that did Born For Adventure?".

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by WriterDude View Post
    To my knowledge, Chuck Panozzo is still living.
    Oops, my writing got carried away, meant to write afflicted with Aids.