Thread: Glen Buxton

Danny62 Guest

Glen Buxton

Guitarist for the original Alice Cooper band.

He is credited as lead guitarist on seven albums by the Alice Cooper band, including the chart-topping Billion Dollar Babies

He died from complications of pneumonia

10 Nov 1947-19 Oct 1997

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    Guitarist for the original Alice Cooper band.

He is credited as lead guitarist on seven albums by the Alice Cooper band, including the chart-topping Billion Dollar Babies

He died from complications of pneumonia

10 Nov 1947-19 Oct 1997
    I loved that band when I was a kid

Death Hag Chris Guest
    I STILL love the old Alice Cooper group. amazing music.

rickenbacker Guest
    Yet another underappreciated axe-slinger!

Noreen Guest
    I did not know that Glen passed. He was great.

dirk diggler Guest
    Nor I until this thread I first heard "Schools Out" on the radio when it first came out i was in high school yeah i can't believe it either so Alice lives with me forever...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJWgI9TR9ow
    Last edited by dirk diggler; 06-04-2008 at 05:12 AM.

ratkin638 Guest
    Glen Buxton was a great guitarist, but he was also another example of talented people who let substance abuse take them down. I remember reading Bob Greene's book "Billion Dollar Babies," in which he detailed life on the road with the Alice Cooper band. (Rather than just tag along as a journalist, Greene took part in the shows. The tour was close to the end of the year, and at the end of every show Santa would appear on stage, only to be beaten up by the band and thrown off. Greene played Santa.)

The bottom line is that by the time of "Billion Dollar Baby," Buxton was being slowly eased out of the band. He barely played on the album, and, according to Greene, appeared on stage for the shows, but holding a guitar that wasn't connected to the sound system. A second guitarist stood offstage and played the guitar that the audience heard. According to the book, Glen Buxton was so deeply into the booze by then that he never noticed that he wasn't hearing his own playing.

Cataroo Guest

Tracyb24 Guest
    He got a Brian Jones pulled on him huh. Unplugged him and let him go at it.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ratkin638 View Post
    Glen Buxton was a great guitarist, but he was also another example of talented people who let substance abuse take them down. I remember reading Bob Greene's book "Billion Dollar Babies," in which he detailed life on the road with the Alice Cooper band. (Rather than just tag along as a journalist, Greene took part in the shows. The tour was close to the end of the year, and at the end of every show Santa would appear on stage, only to be beaten up by the band and thrown off. Greene played Santa.)

The bottom line is that by the time of "Billion Dollar Baby," Buxton was being slowly eased out of the band. He barely played on the album, and, according to Greene, appeared on stage for the shows, but holding a guitar that wasn't connected to the sound system. A second guitarist stood offstage and played the guitar that the audience heard. According to the book, Glen Buxton was so deeply into the booze by then that he never noticed that he wasn't hearing his own playing.
    God that story bites! Sad!

At least ole Alice Cooper cleaned up his act...being a Christian now and all! To bad substance abuse got the best of Glen...they put out some pretty kick ass songs in the 70's!

FYI here is Neal smith drummer for the original Alice cooper bands website.

http://www.nealsmith.com/realest.html

endsleigh03 Guest
    That is so....strange...to see him as a real estate guy He actually looks good.
    Anyone know what happened to Michael, Dennis....... ?
    I am gonna google.

Guest Guest
    I love the old Alice Cooper stuff, oh and the song 'Poison' (another one in my repetoire).

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    That is so....strange...to see him as a real estate guy He actually looks good.
    Anyone know what happened to Michael, Dennis....... ?
    I am gonna google.
    I found his site a coupld of years ago...nice to know Alice Cooper "The band" isn't as demented as they used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladpyre View Post
    I love the old Alice Cooper stuff, oh and the song 'Poison' (another one in my repetoire).
    I love the song "I love the dead" should be the theme song for Scotts site! LOL

Guest Guest
    I love the song "I love the dead" should be the theme song for Scotts site! LOL
    Good idea

ratkin638 Guest
    FYI here is Neal smith drummer for the original Alice cooper bands website.

http://www.nealsmith.com/realest.html
    It's always weird when you encounter someone who used to be famous and they're into a new career. A guy I used to work with was buying an expensive car and noticed that the salesman was wearing a Superbowl ring. The salesman was a former member of the New York Giants.

It's my understanding a couple of the guys live in Connecticut and they hold a Sunday night jam session at one of the small clubs (sorry I don't remember the club name, but I was told this from Ian Hunter, who said he drops by every so often to jam with them).

I used to go to grade school with Dennis Dunaway's brother during the Cooper heyday. We always thought he was full of shit, until his brother picked him up from school one day.

rewind1964 Guest
    One of the guitarist became a hardcore Christian in the '80s.
    I remember channel surfing in 1988 and saw him on the PTO Club.
    I caught the banner "Former Alice Cooper Band Guitarist" and it caught my attention.

For some reason, I think it was Glen - but does anyone out there know for certain?
    He had some wild (though tamed down for the audience) stories about their touring days in the early '70s.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rewind1964 View Post
    One of the guitarist became a hardcore Christian in the '80s.
    I remember channel surfing in 1988 and saw him on the PTO Club.
    I caught the banner "Former Alice Cooper Band Guitarist" and it caught my attention.

For some reason, I think it was Glen - but does anyone out there know for certain?
    He had some wild (though tamed down for the audience) stories about their touring days in the early '70s.
    Hmmm I will have to do some googling. The only one I know that is a confirmed Christian is Alice Cooper himself.

I never had read that Glen became a Chirstian...off to do some googling! LOL

BLUNTFORCETRAUMA Guest
    GB was indeed born-again.