Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chandra Levy

cachluv Guest

Chandra Levy

Chandra Levy

Chandra Levy

Chandra Ann Levy (April 14, 1977 â?? circa May 1, 2001) was an intern who worked at the Federal Bureau of Prisons in Washington, D.C., who disappeared in the spring of 2001 and was subsequently found murdered in Rock Creek Park. The investigation into her disappearance uncovered an affair[1] with then-U.S. Representative Gary Condit, a Democrat representing California's 18th congressional district and a senior member of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence. Though Condit was never called a suspect by police, the uproar led to his exit from Congress. The circumstances surrounding her death remain unclear.

Life and background

Levy was born in Cleveland and grew up in Modesto, California. Her parents are members of Congregation Beth Shalom there, a Conservative Jewish synagogue.[2] She attended San Francisco State University, earning a degree in journalism. After interning for the California Bureau of Secondary Education and working in the office of Los Angeles Mayor Richard Riordan, she began attending the University of Southern California to earn a Master's degree in Public Administration.
    As part of her studies, she moved to Washington, D.C., to become an intern with the Federal Bureau of Prisons, although shortly before her death, this was abruptly terminated when her academic eligibility was found to have expired. She had previously completed her degree requirements and was scheduled to return to California for graduation.

Disappearance and search

She was last seen alive on April 30, 2001; the following day, police said she had disappeared, and controversy surrounding her disappearance was a main topic of the American news media, ending only after the September 11, 2001 attacks. All of this contributed to Condit's failure to win his party's re-nomination, and thus re-election to his seat in the U.S. House of Representatives.
    Levy's parents, Robert and Susan Levy of Modesto, held numerous vigils and news conferences in an attempt to "bring Chandra home." Mrs. Levy later participated in the efforts to find another missing Modesto woman, Laci Peterson.

Condit, a married man who represented the congressional district where the Levy family resided, at first denied that he had had an affair with Chandra. His later statements left open the possibility of an affair. Even though police repeatedly stated that Condit was not a suspect, many in the media, along with Levy's family, felt that Condit was still being evasive and possibly hiding information about the matter. Condit later refused to submit to a polygraph test to be administered by the D.C. police. He also tried to avoid answering direct questions during a televised interview with news anchor Connie Chung on August 23, 2001. Condit later appeared before a District of Columbia grand jury investigating the disappearance.
    Condit subsequently lost the Democratic primary election in March 2002, and left Congress at the end of his term in 2003.

Discovery of remains

District of Columbia Police Chief Charles Ramsey announced on May 22, 2002, that remains matching Levy's dental records were found by a man walking his dog and looking for turtles in Rock Creek Park near Levy's apartment in northwest Washington, D.C. Police had previously searched well over half the area of the 2,000-acre (8-km²) park, which Levy had visited on many occasions, after determining that someone had used Levy's laptop computer to do an Internet search for the park's Klingle Mansion on the day police believed she went missing.
    Police stated that they had not searched this particular area before due to its remoteness. Her remains were found a mile (1.6 km) north of the mansion and about four miles (6 km) away from Levy's apartment. After a preliminary autopsy was performed, District of Columbia police announced that there was sufficient evidence to begin a homicide investigation. On May 28, the District of Columbia medical examiner officially declared Levy's death a homicide.

Police interviewed Ingmar Guandique, a Salvadoran national incarcerated for assaulting two women in the park. Washington police chief Charles H. Ramsey called him a "person of interest". Police administered a polygraph test, which he passed.
    The Levy homicide remains listed as a "cold case" on the D.C. police website, and the FBI states that its investigation remains open.

Similar homicide of Joyce Chiang

Levy's disappearance came two years after the disappearance and declared homicide, under similar circumstances, of Immigration and Naturalization Service attorney Joyce Chiang. Levy's apartment building was four blocks away from Chiang's former building. Levy's remains were found in a D.C. federal parkland area, as were Chiang's belongings, before her body washed up in a nearby river. Both were young, brunette women of petite stature. These similarities have led to various theories that both women were killed by the same person.

An interesting conspiracy theory....

http://www.geocities.com/northstarzone/LEVY.html

kelbons Guest
    I've never been clear... exactly what shape were her remains in, anyway? They'll never find out the truth, I'm afraid.

Forever-27 Guest
    Condit had her killed we all know it, and her death killed his political career also.

SuburbanDeathHag Guest
    It would have helped the investigation if Gary Condit had been up front and truthful about his relationship with Chandra, instead of acting the way he did. Too much time and resources were spent on his dumb ass.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kelbons View Post
    I've never been clear... exactly what shape were her remains in, anyway? They'll never find out the truth, I'm afraid.
    I thought I had read she was mostly decomposed from being outside for so long.
    Isn't that why they had trouble determining exact cause of death?

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    Condit had her killed we all know it, and her death killed his political career also.
    It certainly was suspicious, if he did have something to do with it, he got away with murder.

That "conspiracy theory" is a bunch of BS. Little ole Chandra Levy somehow involved with 9-11?

What next, Laci Peterson was killed because she uncovered too much classified info? Geesh.

I do wonder about the state of her remains. I remember seeing Sylvia Browne on Montel before they found her and she described where the remains were clearly and accurately. Very eerie.

Wasnt it reported that she wasnt the only women found murdererd in that park?
    BTW Her fathers doctor office is about 5 blocks from my house.

GrinReaper Guest
    Wait a sec.
    This stuff happened like 6 almost 7 years ago!?
    Has it been that long? Really?

Overtaxed Guest
    Wow, I just thought about that whole case last night. Still think Gary (I shave my body hair) Condit was not in the clear in this whole ordeal. I think I read that he's now in Arizona.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    I don't mean to be disrespectful, but is it just me or did this girl have like a million pictures of herself, usually looking like they came from Glamour Shots.

If you're going to sleep you way to the top in Washington, I think you could set your sights on someone a little more powerful than Gary Condit, and certianly someone better looking.

magblax Guest
    Modesto California is a deadly place to live if you are a young brunette woman...

Jaxxx Guest
    I been in that area where they found her body, and indeed there is some serial killer or maybe all these women slept with the same congressman.

Quote Originally Posted by Christie Prody View Post
    If you're going to sleep you way to the top in Washington, I think you could set your sights on someone a little more powerful than Gary Condit, and certianly someone better looking.
    I don't know anything about the state of her remains; but that was a beautiful young woman; physically; any way.

You can't always start at the top like Monica did; sometimes you have to "work your way" up.

A real shame. No one should end up that way.

Daphne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kelbons View Post

I recently heard in an interview with the coroner or someone like that who was involved in gathering her remains and transporting them that she was completely skeletonized. She had been exposed to the elements for 9 months. Because of this, they have had a tough time determining any cause of death, but did say her hyoid (sp?) bone was broken, which may indicate strangulation.

Quote Originally Posted by magblax View Post
    Modesto California is a deadly place to live if you are a young brunette woman...
    Get it right..It's Molesto or the new one..... Methdesto!

Is that near Klameth Falls?

Gary Condit sued writer Dominick Dunne and won because he
    tried to implicate him in the disappearance of Chandra Levy.

bluebear71 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie Prody View Post
    I don't mean to be disrespectful, but is it just me or did this girl have like a million pictures of herself, usually looking like they came from Glamour Shots.

Gotta start somewhere right?!

magblax Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JefeStone View Post
    Get it right..It's Molesto or the new one..... Methdesto!

'Methdesto" is right!!!! Scary stuff.
    P.S. They called Gary Condit "Mr. Blowdry" because of his fascination with his hair. Modesto is full of shady tweekers.

Area Man Guest
    Condit was innocent. Bummer that he had the unfortunate luck to have an affair with a girl who ended up being murdered by a serial killer. There have actually been four deaths linked to a DC serial killer. One woman, whom I can't recall her name, was found dumped on a wooded hillside near Georgetown University. The attorney, and Chandra Levy. One more I think, but can't recall. It's my personal opinion that Condit took a lot of undeserved criticism for this. Having an affair is not a reputable thing, but certainly not worthy of having your whole life destroyed. Anyways, from what I read he went on to make even more millions through the ownership of some Baskin Robbins franchises.

magblax Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Area Man View Post
    Condit was innocent. Bummer that he had the unfortunate luck to have an affair with a girl who ended up being murdered by a serial killer. There have actually been four deaths linked to a DC serial killer. One woman, whom I can't recall her name, was found dumped on a wooded hillside near Georgetown University. The attorney, and Chandra Levy. One more I think, but can't recall. It's my personal opinion that Condit took a lot of undeserved criticism for this. Having an affair is not a reputable thing, but certainly not worthy of having your whole life destroyed. Anyways, from what I read he went on to make even more millions through the ownership of some Baskin Robbins franchises.

I didn't know about the Baskin Robbins thing. He did have an affair with Chandra. It is much more facinating for the public to think there is a big political coverup conspriacy going on rather than some random murder. D.C. is surrounded by crappy neighborhoods. Who knows?? But Condit was ruined in Modesto after that!

Area Man Guest

I saw...

It was some update show about the case 6 years later and they showed Condit and his family back in CA (or maybe it was somewhere else in the Pacific NW) and how they had all these franchises and were even more wealthy than before.

magblax Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Area Man View Post
    It was some update show about the case 6 years later and they showed Condit and his family back in CA (or maybe it was somewhere else in the Pacific NW) and how they had all these franchises and were even more wealthy than before.

He was sure glad when 911 diverted the attention away from him!

I just read he got a lot of $$$ in his settlment with Dunne and another publication that "defamed" him. He used that $$ to start a couple of franchises here in AZ...here is the update...according to Wiki...

Following his congressional career, Condit moved to Arizona.[16] In February 2005, he started two Baskin Robbins ice cream shop franchises with his wife and children in Glendale. In March 2006, Baskin Robbins revoked the franchising agreement, claiming the Condits owed them $14,221.29. Among the corporation's complaints was that the Condits continued to use the Baskin Robbins name after the franchises were revoked.[

poppie Guest
    I read the entire conspiracy story and Levy allegedly being a member of MOSSAD. I don' t know what to think. I do know that our government lies to us all the time. About all things; great and small. The facts could be true.

magblax Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by poppie View Post
    I read the entire conspiracy story and Levy allegedly being a member of MOSSAD. I don' t know what to think. I do know that our government lies to us all the time. About all things; great and small. The facts could be true.

What is MOSSAD? This is an interesting story because the events of 911 really pushed it out of the limelight.

Jaxxx Guest
    Chandra was killed in a very upscale neighborhood

magblax Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxxx View Post
    Chandra was killed in a very upscale neighborhood
    Yes...now she is buried in a very crappy area.

http://modesto.citysearch.com/profil...rial_park.html

bluebear71 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magblax View Post
    Yes...now she is buried in a very crappy area.

http://modesto.citysearch.com/profil...rial_park.html
    At least the neighbors are quiet though.

poppie Guest
    MOSSAD is one of Israels intelligence agencies. Google it for more information.

If this administration had hired MOSSAD to find Osama bin Laden, the SOB would be rotting in the ground by now.
    Last edited by poppie; 01-03-2008 at 12:00 PM.

magblax Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebear71 View Post
    At least the neighbors are quiet though.

This is true !!

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SuburbanDeathHag View Post
    It would have helped the investigation if Gary Condit had been up front and truthful about his relationship with Chandra, instead of acting the way he did. Too much time and resources were spent on his dumb ass.
    AMEN. Condit was/is a scumbag...not a murderer, but a scumbag nevertheless. Glad he's out of the picture, politically-speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by poppie View Post
    MOSSAD is one of Israels intelligence agencies. Google it for more information.

If this administration had hired MOSSAD to find Osama bin Laden, the SOB would be rotting in the ground by now.
    Osama would be rotting in the ground; buried with a dead pig or two so that he couldn't "have his virgins".

Screwing with MOSSAD is much more dangerous than ripping off the Mafia and going on Letterman to talk about how you did it.

Daphne Guest
    and back to chandra....

Daphne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    AMEN. Condit was/is a scumbag...not a murderer, but a scumbag nevertheless. Glad he's out of the picture, politically-speaking.

Agreed.

crimson and clover Guest
    Modesto is about an hour south of me..........I drive through at a high rate of speed....Lets see.......Lacy Peterson Murder, Chandra Levy, the Yosemite Murders (they found evidence in an intersection in Modesto), and I know I am missing more, they place is creeeeeepppppyyyyyyyy

did condit or one of his cronies try to get rid of chandras' watch?

cachluv Guest
    Actually, Condit was seen on hidden parking lot security camera, driving up to a dumpster and tossing something in. Someone saw him and went to retrieve it, it was a jewelry box that a watch came in.

Quote Originally Posted by cjw View Post
    I remember seeing Sylvia Browne on Montel before they found her and she described where the remains were clearly and accurately. Very eerie.

Don't be impressed by Sylvia's bullshit. She made that bold prediction after police began searching the park, based on the internet search for directions to the park found on Chandra's computer. Sylvia's description of the location was conveniently vague enough to not be at all useful, even if the cops took her seriously.

Any hack on an internet message board could have made that prediction.

Lita Guest
    I have to do a search on Sylvia Browne...or as my mom's friend calls her "Sylvania Browne". My mom has a bunch of her books but I've heard a lot of people say she's hack. I know there's a thread about her in Everything Else so I'll look there in a bit. As for Chandra, I believe that she was killed by Condit or by somebody hired by Condit. Sadly, she'll go down in the annals of one of America's most fasinating unsolved cases.

crazedfemale Guest
    I believe Condit was an idiot, but I don't think he killed Chandra. So what's Condit doing now?

cachluv Guest
    Baskin Robbins franchises revoked--

Following his congressional career, Condit moved to Arizona. In February 2005, he started two Baskin Robbins ice cream shop franchises with his wife and children in Glendale. In March 2006, Baskin Robbins revoked the franchising agreement, claiming the Condits owed them $14,221.29. Among the corporation's complaints was that the Condits continued to use the Baskin Robbins name after the franchises were revoked.

Retired with a Congressional pension valued at $721,603 by the National Taxpayers Union over Condit's expected life span.

Man, check out Condit's wiki page--

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Condit

What a mess!! It looks like every member of his family is crooked!!!

And his brother shot his own self in the ass. Dork.

Lisamarie Guest
    I know this sounds mean but I never understood the allure to the married Condit at all....more trouble than its worth.Like this stupid girl..I mean look at what it got her...I mean lets say she was murdered by some serial killer....we wasted all this time investigating this douche she had the affair with, meanwhile her reputation(whats left of it) is drug through the dirt. Anything she accomplished in life is eclipsed by her death. I hope it was worth it to her. Not to mention what legacy you leave friends and family with...yeah your daughter was the one getting it on with a married man...and what a douche he was!! Anyone remeber his chaps picture?? Anyway he goes on with life and she is buried and forgotten for the most part..I know I havent heard much on the news about new findings or anything. And we all remeber her as that girl who had the affair with Gary Condit. What a legacy. Its sad.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    I knew a congressman from Tennessee once and he told me in all honestly, you can't make any money in Congress unless you're crooked.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Lisamarie, I agree with your sentiments about Chandra.

Condit is a scumbag, for sure. I'm not altogether convinced he wasn't behind her murder.

Suing Dominck Dunne was a little overboard, I think. Like Condit protested a little too much.

I just looked her up her grave on findagrave. There's one lone picture of it from 2003, it's unmarked, and the ground is in pretty cruddy condition. Poor girl.

I really don't know if Condit had a hand in it or not, but he really should of been honest right away when the news broke that he and Chandra had an affair. If he had be cooperative from the start, there might not of been 24/7 coverage on the story all summer. Well...okay, no I take that back, there probably still WOULD of been.

"Death doesn't really worry me that much, I'm not frightened about it... I just don't want to be there when it happens."

Chevyheaven Guest
    I dont trust any politicians period. They all are liars and theifs and pawns of the DEBIL!!!

This caught my attention though in the conspiracy link "wild satanic sex lives" referring to uppers in the political ladder. A thought of Janet Reno ran through my mind. She is so deliciously evil that I wouldnt put it past her to stopping in at the DC sex clubs after hours and getting her bondage on. Hmm
    America is getting so depraved and sickening.

smooches27 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevyheaven View Post
    I dont trust any politicians period. They all are liars and theifs and pawns of the DEBIL!!!

This caught my attention though in the conspiracy link "wild satanic sex lives" referring to uppers in the political ladder. A thought of Janet Reno ran through my mind. She is so deliciously evil that I wouldnt put it past her to stopping in at the DC sex clubs after hours and getting her bondage on. Hmm
    America is getting so depraved and sickening.
    Janet Reno + bondage = *shudder*

SquirrelNutZipper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sordid1982 View Post
    I just looked her up her grave on findagrave. There's one lone picture of it from 2003, it's unmarked, and the ground is in pretty cruddy condition. Poor girl.
    Where's her parents? Brother? They were all over the news shows attempting to find out who did this. They adored her.

I know it's not healthy to weep, cry and gasp over a stone and plot of grass, but why aren't they maintaining the ground? It sounds like a crappy cemetery (from an earlier post) but why did they put her there? Why aren't they taking care of her grave? Why don't they move her to a decent place? What if someone makes a wrong turn off that road - they'll be part of the cemetery.

I'm just full of questions today...
    Last edited by SquirrelNutZipper; 04-22-2008 at 12:48 PM.

travnut Guest
    Chandra's parents had the world famous forensics - Drs. Cyril Wecht, Henry Lee and Michael Baden get involved. They couldn't tell how Chandra died (now that's funny. In a sick kinda way)

I live near the area where Chandra died. According to all of the news reports, parts of Chandra's body were fiound some distance away from the park trail. Police believed that animals carried the parts there. Poor soul.