Thread: In the Vault - Using dead musicians songs in commercials

Bellfire Guest

In the Vault - Using dead musicians songs in commercials

it just tickles me how much music one dead musician has to offer. Elvis has been deceased for 30 years yet he's making more music than ever. Tupak is still releasing songs, the Beatle's Anthology came out John had a new song and just 3 years ago jimi Hendrix had a new song. How do you feel about after death releases? How long is too long after death for a song to be released? Do you think it's alright to take a deceased musicans body of work and use it in commercials? Your Thoughts

RubySlippers Guest
    I don't like it. I think someone is trying to make money off of them. They should keep it "vaulted" or give it to family. Again it may be family who release it... for MONEY. Uhhgg.

Classic is classic. Often when things are released from "vaults" it is tinkered with to make it sell-able. I think it should be left alone.

mommafreak Guest
    It's only benefit would be to gain money. Release it under a charitable fund, all proceeds to go such and such. This Elvis thing that keeps making money is beyond me. I went to Graceland b/c I was curious about the house, but both planes can be toured, all the merchandise, my goodness, it's like a madhouse. Those who are making it usually stay in seclusion, like Pricilla, does anyone ever see her? I know her botox and surgeon sees her regularly.

Katie Guest
    In many cases, the actor, singer only makes money when they die. Priscilla says that Elvis was almost broke when he died.

Bellfire Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    In many cases, the actor, singer only makes money when they die. Priscilla says that Elvis was almost broke when he died.

I think he's worth $100 million now. I don't get it. He is gone and so is his manager yet he's worth a fortune; I guess the beat really does go on lol.

Queen_Death_Hag Guest
    I am not so much against an artist that was recording a new album or song at the time of their death, like Aaliyah & Patsy Cline etc. But years after their death come on, unless it is some lost studio tape or something otherwise, I think it is weird and someone just getting rich off a dead musician.

RoRo Guest
    I think its ok if it's not music that's being re-released over and over again...as for Priscilla Presley my gosh she looks like an alien now she really needs to back off the plastic surgery shes becoming a joke

TNpuck Guest
    I absolutely believe they should release material that was never released when the artist was alive. Why withhold this from the world?

Imagine there were another 200 hours of unreleased Beatle outtakes/cuts that didn't make Anthology, wouldn't you want to hear it?

Tugboat25 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellfire View Post
    I think he's worth $100 million now. I don't get it. He is gone and so is his manager yet he's worth a fortune; I guess the beat really does go on lol.
    I may be incorrect so please feel free to correct me but I understand that Elvis was worth a mere 3 million when he died in 1977.
    3 mil. is not a paltry sum but when you're Elvis Presley, it is.

TNpuck Guest
    What would 1977 three million be worth today, with inflation?

Tugboat25 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TNpuck View Post
    What would 1977 three million be worth today, with inflation?
    Good question, I do not know the value change but it's safe to say it was more back then, than today.
    I do think however, that Elvis's lifestyle was maybe a bit tighter monetarily than it should have been. He wasn't broke but not as well off as he should have been.
    The Colonel took 50%.

Katie Guest
    My info comes from Priscilla, and Lisa Marie. They are the ones that said he had more bills then money.

Tugboat25 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    My info comes from Priscilla, and Lisa Marie. They are the ones that said he had more bills then money.
    Right Katie, no one is doubting that information. I was just saying 3 million dollars is not a lot to cover things for Elvis Presley.
    For us regular people it would be a fantastic amount of money but for Elvis, is wasn't much at all. He was getting extremely thin on cash at the end of his life.

Danny62 Guest
    That gets me thinking about that skank Janie Hendrix. She has totally sold out Jimi Hendrix for money!

Hell you go to his website and she more fucking proud of who she has sued for using Jimi hendrix's name and music than anything else!!!

He is the only artist I have a hard time finding lyrics for because the skank has threatned to sue people...I know the lyrics are copyrighted but I haven't seen that to often...other peoples lyrics are usually available online!

And Hendrix boxer shorts...please!!!!

Oh we can't forget the Hendrix energy drinks coming out!!

I can't stand her!!!!!!!!! She isn't even his real sister either.

Tugboat25 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    That gets me thinking about that skank Janie Hendrix. She has totally sold out Jimi Hendrix for money!

Hell you go to his website and she more fucking proud of who she has sued for using Jimi hendrix's name and music than anything else!!!

He is the only artist I have a hard time finding lyrics for because the skank has threatned to sue people...I know the lyrics are copyrighted but I haven't seen that to often...other peoples lyrics are usually available online!

And Hendrix boxer shorts...please!!!!

Oh we can't forget the Hendrix energy drinks coming out!!

I can't stand her!!!!!!!!! She isn't even his real sister either.
    Don't sugar coat it Danny, tell us how you really feel!
    Yeah, you're right on target about Janie Hendrix for sure.
    It was bad enough when that guy Douglas (was it Alan Douglas? Something like that?) released Jimi's pre-recorded stuff after his death with an all new set of musicians making up a band. Remember that?
    I'm not a Jimi expert (my brother Loves him) but I appreciate him and know some random things (aside from his music).

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tugboat25 View Post
    Don't sugar coat it Danny, tell us how you really feel!
    Yeah, you're right on target about Janie Hendrix for sure.
    It was bad enough when that guy Douglas (was it Alan Douglas? Something like that?) released Jimi's pre-recorded stuff after his death with an all new set of musicians making up a band. Remember that?
    I'm not a Jimi expert (my brother Loves him) but I appreciate him and know some random things (aside from his music).

I could have went on for an hour about the hag!! Yes it was Alan Douglas who was releasing all the stuff! I wish Leon would have gotten control of Hendrix's recordings.

Do you know when they finally located Hendrix's moms grave Janie would not let her be buried in the Hendrix memorial plot...Janies mom is buried there though!! Go fucking figure on that one??

Hendrix wrote the song "Angel" about dreams of his mom and I am sure he would want her buried there.

I was reading I am not sure what biography cause there is so many, but Janie was showing someone some Artwork Jimi had done in Junior high and she was snarfing on a big ole cheeseburger and got grease prints all over the damn thing!!

Yeah she cares about Jimi's memory doesn't she??

GGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

Dan

KristinEileen Guest
    I think that vaulted music should stay vaulted, unless of course the person isn't really dead...
    Personally I don't believe that Tupac is dead...a few years after he "died" an album was released called Makiavelli(sp?). And Mr. M was famous for faking his own death...coincidence or cover up? You decide!!

dirttrackdemon3 Guest
    i am torn on this one. sometimes its cool for them to come out with some "vaulted" tunes, but its also kinda funny why theu werent released when the people were alive. as for commercials.....that damn pepsi commercial playing "your cheating heart" mad me puke!! WTF??? i seriously doubt hank would have approved of that!!

dirttrackdemon3 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KristinEileen View Post
    I think that vaulted music should stay vaulted, unless of course the person isn't really dead...
    Personally I don't believe that Tupac is dead...a few years after he "died" an album was released called Makiavelli(sp?). And Mr. M was famous for faking his own death...coincidence or cover up? You decide!!

did u see the pics of him on the slab?? i dont know. i do remember the feds raiding some crappy motel in tampa looking for hima few years back, and yea, i have heard nobody has cashed in on his life insurance, but i still dont know. if he faked it it was so he could get out of the "rap scene" and live his normal artsy life.

KristinEileen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dirttrackdemon3 View Post
    did u see the pics of him on the slab?? i dont know. i do remember the feds raiding some crappy motel in tampa looking for hima few years back, and yea, i have heard nobody has cashed in on his life insurance, but i still dont know. if he faked it it was so he could get out of the "rap scene" and live his normal artsy life.

I did see the pics but I'm not convinced. Those pics are from so far away and the tattoo on his arm could be on anyone, I once read that the tattoo on his right arm was just flash off the wall at some tattoo shop. I'm just not sure, and I find it odd that his life insurance policy hasn't been cashed in, I mean his mom seemed so distraught over it all I would think that she would have tried everything to make sure that no one ever thought that about him....funny thing is you never hear from her but you do her from Voletta(sp?) Wallace, Biggie's mom...makes me wonder...

different kind of girl Guest
    I did see the pics but I'm not convinced. Those pics are from so far away and the tattoo on his arm could be on anyone, I once read that the tattoo on his right arm was just flash off the wall at some tattoo shop. I'm just not sure, and I find it odd that his life insurance policy hasn't been cashed in, I mean his mom seemed so distraught over it all I would think that she would have tried everything to make sure that no one ever thought that about him....funny thing is you never hear from her but you do her from Voletta(sp?) Wallace, Biggie's mom...makes me wonder...
    what does it make you wonder? sorry if it's obvious, but i don't want to assume what you're wondering.

DannaMarie24 Guest

Nope

Quote Originally Posted by Bellfire View Post
    it just tickles me how much music one dead musician has to offer. Elvis has been deceased for 30 years yet he's making more music than ever. Tupak is still releasing songs, the Beatle's Anthology came out John had a new song and just 3 years ago jimi Hendrix had a new song. How do you feel about after death releases? How long is too long after death for a song to be released? Do you think it's alright to take a deceased musicans body of work and use it in commercials? Your Thoughts
    [SIZE=4]All it is to me is people trying to make a living off the dead person. It's sad really.[/SIZE]

dirttrackdemon3 Guest

come on, the guy was blasted in vegas. the last thing he seen was a bullet. i dont think he is alive. have u ever noticed how many stars are "alive" after they die?? elvis works in burger king, james dean is in a asylum, dale earnhardt works for a spee-dee lube...the list goes on. the guy lucked up and made up a name, he rapped about coming back. he is gone. he is a very recognizable face, he would have been busted by now. hell, they even caught eic rudolph.

KristinEileen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by different kind of girl View Post
    what does it make you wonder? sorry if it's obvious, but i don't want to assume what you're wondering.
    LoL. It makes me wonder why it is that Biggie's mom speaks about his death, and Tupac's mom doesn't. I think that Mrs. Wallace does something every year to mark the anniversary, and I don't know if Tupac's mom does, but either way Mrs. Wallace gets a nod from the media and you hear nothing about Tupac's mom or his anniversary. I don't even think Suge Knight celebrates the anniversary...I just think it's odd, and I'm totally not a conspiracy theorist usually, and this is one that I just can't wrap my head around....

Tombstone Tourist Guest
    LoL. It makes me wonder why it is that Biggie's mom speaks about his death, and Tupac's mom doesn't. I think that Mrs. Wallace does something every year to mark the anniversary, and I don't know if Tupac's mom does, but either way Mrs. Wallace gets a nod from the media and you hear nothing about Tupac's mom or his anniversary. I don't even think Suge Knight celebrates the anniversary...I just think it's odd, and I'm totally not a conspiracy theorist usually, and this is one that I just can't wrap my head around....
    You're not a conspiracy theorist - two black men were gunned down among dozens of witnesses and the police don't have a suspect? That's not a theory, that is a true conspiracy.

Tupac's mom does surface every once in a while. She is trying to get a museum and performance center opened in Atlanta.

dirttrackdemon3 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tombstone Tourist View Post
    You're not a conspiracy theorist - two black men were gunned down among dozens of witnesses and the police don't have a suspect? That's not a theory, that is a true conspiracy.

Tupac's mom does surface every once in a while. She is trying to get a museum and performance center opened in Atlanta.

she's in atlanta now?? last i heard of her she was in africa somewhere trying to establish a art school.

KristinEileen Guest
    It's just my opinion...I wasn't there so I don't know who saw what. But believe me if he is dead Suge Knight had something to do with both of their murders.

dirttrackdemon3 Guest
    It's just my opinion...I wasn't there so I don't know who saw what. But believe me if he is dead Suge Knight had something to do with both of their murders.

that i can agree with. he is a dumbass!!

KristinEileen Guest
    I really think he had something to do with it, I mean what a douche. He tried to kill Vanilla Ice back in the day too!

dirttrackdemon3 Guest
    I really think he had something to do with it, I mean what a douche. He tried to kill Vanilla Ice back in the day too!

HE DID?? only thing i ever heard about him was he was in a motorcycle wreck or something.

KristinEileen Guest
    Yea he came at him in a hotel room and tried to hang him over the balcony by his ankles!

dirttrackdemon3 Guest
    never heard of that. shoulda dropped him though, i cant stand him!!

KristinEileen Guest
    I know right...His name alone calls for bodily harm...rob vanwinkle...I wish he would go to sleep for a hundred years!

Guest Guest
    Here's a website on Makaveli aka Tupac........
    http://members.aol.com/subseven/tupac.html

KristinEileen Guest
    It's a pretty good site with a whole lot of info. Too bad this guy didn't keep up with it. The last time it was updated was like 1998 or something. But it proves a lot of points. Especially the Suge Knight thing. I mean really if you knew who killed your "best friend" wouldn't you want to that person to be held accountable?

Chascsq Guest
    I don't think Tupac is dead either. I think he's probaly in the witness protection program considering the shady characters he hung with it's possible.

Tugboat25 Guest
    I'm a pretty big (serious) Elvis fan and I have to say when they released "A Little Less Conversation" as a Junkie XL (I'm sorry, JXL) remix, it wasn't bad. I never got the feeling that the Presley estate was abusing the collection. It was just a different take on a song.
    If it's done well and not some cheap recreation just for cash, I am not sure what the problem is.

He tried to kill Vanilla Ice back in the day too!
    sounds good to me!

Bellfire Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tugboat25 View Post
    I may be incorrect so please feel free to correct me but I understand that Elvis was worth a mere 3 million when he died in 1977.
    3 mil. is not a paltry sum but when you're Elvis Presley, it is.

I don't know. Someone on here mentioned his ex said he was broke. I just think $100 million dollars going to your estate is a bit much. Think of all the people it could help and besides Graceland could really be a show place if it helped the people of the Appalachians. Give back to the mountains.

My opinion is that if they release any new albums by a dead artist with vaulted recordings, new mixes of old songs, etc, then the money from those albums should go to a charity or something that that artist believed in when they were alive...sometimes the families do it just for the money because they know that people will buy it up....and they need the money. I like to hear unreleased stuff, i just don't like where the money goes.