Thread: Chelsea Hotel, New York

endsleigh03 Guest

Chelsea Hotel, New York

Anyone at FAD stayed at this place?
    I am planning on going in the next 6 to 8 months to stay there.
    Apparently the running of this place was wrestled away from Stanley Bard, who goes wayyy back. Hope it has not changed too much. Management shift can be a bad thing.
    The hotel is stuffed with history. Writers, singers, poets, etc. who lived there.
    Films have been made there, books written there and books written ABOUT the hotel. Tons of music written there also. It is also the site for some filming of "Sid and Nancy", and of course she met her demise there.
    Inevitably, because of the history, and some of the deaths, it has a rep for being haunted

Theres a site/blog at http://www.legends.typepad.com I just glanced at it and I guess they ARE having probs with new management

Been there many times! If not for the history behind it, it would be three steps below Motel 8! The lobby is filled with all the artwork tennants who couldn't pay cash, payed in art!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    Been there many times! If not for the history behind it, it would be three steps below Motel 8! The lobby is filled with all the artwork tennants who couldn't pay cash, payed in art!
    Yeah, thats a given, I think.

Ms. K Guest
    Stayed there this summer, and yeah, it's kind of a dive, lol!

It's got great, funky atmosphere, with all the art, but the accommodations suck.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. K View Post
    Stayed there this summer, and yeah, it's kind of a dive, lol!

It's got great, funky atmosphere, with all the art, but the accommodations suck.
    lmao. I can live with that.

Tugboat25 Guest
    What exact room were Sid and Nancy in and is it still available to stay in for a night?
    I'd love to spend time in their room at night.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tugboat25 View Post
    What exact room were Sid and Nancy in and is it still available to stay in for a night?
    I'd love to spend time in their room at night.
    You and me both.
    But it is no more. I heard a few things and one of them was that they combined it with another room and made one big room.
    Another that it became storage.
    Silly people, they could have made alot of bucks renting it

Tugboat25 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    You and me both.
    But it is no more. I heard a few things and one of them was that they combined it with another room and made one big room.
    That's so typical, isn't it ends?
    I mean, here they have a great chance of promoting a room that is connected to a moment in rock 'n' roll history as well as a crime scene that may be appealing to curious people like ourselves.
    Someone over there at the Chelsea Hotel really screwed up. Some jerk probably thought he knew better and made some executive decision and it was just so stupid of him.

endsleigh03 Guest
    You and me both.
    By the way it was room 100, Tug.

Ms. K Guest
    You and me both.
    Room 100 is now storage. Oh well!

The rooms are pretty sparse, and some of them are rented out as apartments, and SROs. The girl next door to me was renting an SRO, and she paid upwards of a grand a month. For one room. With no bathroom. Or kitchen.

Ms. K Guest
    lmao. I can live with that.
    Just be prepared! The room I was in, well, the breaker would get tripped either by us or the girl next door, and the power would go out. A lot.

The bathroom is small, and is covered in that tiny little tile which is a BITCH to clean.

But, it's fairly clean, there aren't any bedbugs that I can remember, and the people are pretty cool. Aside from the new management, who suck, according to the blogger residents.

Tugboat25 Guest
    By the way it was room 100, Tug.
    Well I'd still like to spend the night in the same general area even if it is a storage room!
    I'd just would love the chance to be in that room, no matter what it's used for now.
    I guess I'm a real death hag and a crime hag and I'm also a Sex Pistols fan.

John Connor Guest

Hotel Chelsea NYC

Anybody ever stay there?

It's where Sid stabbed Nancy, Edie set her room on fire and Leonard got head from Joplin on the unmade bed. Everyone stayed there, Bob Dylan, Jimi, Patty Smith, the Stones...

And now me. Going to stay June 5-8. Read very mixed reviews but I want to experience it.

Dollyplum Guest
    Oh keep us posted as I so want to go to NYC and I am planning a trip with the girls for short break. A true death hag hotel would be brillant to stay in!

TallulahDahling Guest
    Oh, do take photos, dahling! Would love to see them. Have fun and be safe!

Watch the movie Chelsea Walls.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0226935/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm turning green, Keeun!
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

Cadence71 Guest
    You better take pix, man. That would be too cool.

John Connor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post

I've read lots of different reviews but haven't met anyone who stayed there. I asked for one of the renovated rooms. Doesn't matter to me much, I don't plan to spend much time in the hotel but although there were better choices it had to be the one.

Noreen Guest
    I wanna go!

Noreen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Luanne View Post
    Watch the movie Chelsea Walls.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0226935/

I saw this. I'd like to see it again. Kris was very good in it!

Jazbabee Guest
    You are one brave soul........I always feel like this place looks like it has bed bugs !!!!!!

Seems there was already a thread about this..........oh well.

Back in the early 90's I spent a lot of time there. One of my best friends lived there and I worked for a guy who had a recording studio there. I also spent a few nights there with a boyfriend and did a photo shoot there as a model. Many memories.

It is a dive. But my friends made their space pretty unique and clean. Lots of spookys running around....living and dead.

Have fun
    I told my lawyer he's better step it up or we would both end up on an episode of "SNAPPED"

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Anyone at FAD stayed at this place?
    I am planning on going in the next 6 to 8 months to stay there.
    Apparently the running of this place was wrestled away from Stanley Bard, who goes wayyy back. Hope it has not changed too much. Management shift can be a bad thing.
    The hotel is stuffed with history. Writers, singers, poets, etc. who lived there.
    Films have been made there, books written there and books written ABOUT the hotel. Tons of music written there also. It is also the site for some filming of "Sid and Nancy", and of course she met her demise there.
    Inevitably, because of the history, and some of the deaths, it has a rep for being haunted

Theres a site/blog at http://www.legends.typepad.com I just glanced at it and I guess they ARE having probs with new management
    Cool. Let us know if you see anything. Post pics

LemonPopsicle Guest
    I spent a month there about a decade ago. I really enjoyed my time there and have avoided going back because everyone says it's changed so much.
    I hope you enjoy your trip and have an amazing time there.

burgtwngrl Guest
    I would love to stay there one night... in the Sid and Nancy Room of Course or the Edie Sedgewick Room

Forever-27 Guest
    Ive never been to New York but if or when I ever go id like to stay there myself. Greg Alman, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin among others have stayed there.

Its one of the hotels on my list to stay. Along with the Highland Gardens in LA and The Stanley in Estates Park Colorado

leeny994 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by burgtwngrl View Post
    I would love to stay there one night... in the Sid and Nancy Room of Course or the Edie Sedgewick Room

Sid and Nancy's room, Room 100 is long gone. Former manager Stanley Bard knocked it down and reconfigured the space. I think its basically a closet and part of an office or something like that. I think the basic insanity of tourists and fans trying to either rent the room, see the room etc was a bit much.

This is a great book on the hotel of anyone is interested
    http://www.amazon.com/Legends-Chelse.../dp/1568583796
    (I may have posted this info either in this thread or another one)

and here is the blog on the hotel
    http://legends.typepad.com/

John Connor Guest
    Got back today after my weekend in NYC. Stayed in Rm 821 at the Chelsea. It's an interesting place but I won't stay again. Once is enough although the location is the best.

I love NY. I Heart it. NY is clean and the people are amazing. Everyone was friendly. There are lots of beautiful people and the girls all wear dresses. It really is like a movie set. Greenwich Village is cozy and cool. Central Park is beautiful and relaxing. Time Square is a mind bender, the people will blow you away and they're all tourists. We walked so much my feet are total blisters. We went from the top to the bottom. New Yorkers really like their car horns but they will still let you cross on a red. I love Toronto, it's home, but there is no place like NY. I will put pics in my NY album...when I get to it.

burgtwngrl Guest
    IF anyone gets to go there please take photos. I want to get to NYC this year maybe in the fall. I want to see the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Annex with all the CBGB stuff.

There is alot I want to see in NYC.

Hotel Chelsea is one of them... does anyone know if it's in a bad neighborhood?

BUrg

Chelsea is a good neighborhood but the Hotel is on 23rd street which is a two way busy street and...Chelsea doesnt hold much in way of tourist attractions but its easy to get to them from there by subway or taxi.
    I told my lawyer he's better step it up or we would both end up on an episode of "SNAPPED"

John Connor Guest
    The Chelsea is in a perfect area for getting around. We walked everywhere. The hotel is cool but it depends on what you want. If you want Holiday Inn do not stay there. If you want bohemian and funky with many odd, interesting characters do. The people in the neighbourhood were fantastic. This is the lobby. Our room was basic but we liked it.
    The place is full of the art of the many residents. Many of them sit in the lobby all day and chat.

endsleigh03 Guest
    The Chelsea Hotel is up for sale.

http://www.luxist.com/2010/10/20/hot..._lnk1%7C178819

Oh wow! I had no idea. Thanks ends. Great pic in that article too.

I hope whoever buys it restores it to it's former glory instead of knocking it down to make way for some new glass box.

endsleigh03 Guest
    I hope they leave it alone too.

The Chelsea and The Russell Hotel in London are my favorite buildings in all of the lands.

ghoulgurl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tugboat25 View Post
    That's so typical, isn't it ends?
    I mean, here they have a great chance of promoting a room that is connected to a moment in rock 'n' roll history as well as a crime scene that may be appealing to curious people like ourselves.
    Someone over there at the Chelsea Hotel really screwed up. Some jerk probably thought he knew better and made some executive decision and it was just so stupid of him.
    Otoh, what if you worked there and all sorts of oddballs wanted that room? The harmless ones are okay but I could imagine someone who wants to stay there and shoot up or have a seance. I'll bet enough weird stuff happens without having to worry about notoriety. I stayed there years ago...a dive but filled with history. Catch it while you can. Some people live there full-time.

aLiLdirt Guest
    When visiting New York, I prefer to stay at The Sherry.
    However, a friend talked me into staying at The Chelsea several months ago and I must admit I had a pleasant experience. My room was tastefully funky, spacious, and not at all what I expected. (Why is it that I imagined despair, broken furniture and cobwebs when I previously thought of The Chelsea???)
    Someone I spoke to in the lobby said she had a room with a shared bath and that the person she shared with was a filthy pig. I was so very glad I opted for a private bath! A no brainer, really.

Seagorath Guest
    Rumor has it, parts of the Stooges first album were recorded at the Chelsea...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stooges_%28album%29

Noreen Guest
    I always wanted to visit The Chelsea, but after reading Patti Smith's "Just Kids" where she chronicled her life and her years there, I feel I must make the pilgrimage!

Seagorath Guest
    I would love to stay there someday...with only my most trusted pals...