69 41.57%
  • mind your own business kitty!

7 4.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: POLL: Death Haggism and Mental Illness

John Connor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    Well shit, I am told I am crazier than a pet racoon but I don't get any meds.

I'll go with shithouse rat but that about sums me up. I am scared of those meds although I will take my friend's clonazepam recreationally.

tg7 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverAndCold View Post
    anxiety/panic disorder taking 30mg Paxil for 8 years...also I just found out I have diabetes; bummer!
    wow. it's funny you should say that. i saw my doctor tonight and he wants me to wean off of paxil (been taking it for 10 years) due to the fact that it has caused me to gain lots of weight. he's afraid it's going to cause other health problems such as diabetes.

i would love to stop taking medication, but i'm afraid that i won't be able to function without it.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    It's amazing to think how far mental health has come in just fifty years, in some ways.

All these people were wandering around, being told they had the "vapors" years ago.

Paxil has not done wonders for my sex life, though. Anyone else have that problem? I don't even think of it anymore. Premature menopause and Paxil will cure every Cougar.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Watson View Post
    It's amazing to think how far mental health has come in just fifty years, in some ways.

All these people were wandering around, being told they had the "vapors" years ago.

Paxil has not done wonders for my sex life, though. Anyone else have that problem? I don't even think of it anymore. Premature menopause and Paxil will cure every Cougar.
    i hear you on that one mrs. watson, what with twenty years of anti dep's plus menopause, not a pretty sight, but i'd rather be low libido than high depressive any day...
    pull the string!

my thanks to all who told me to mind my own business lmao!!!!
    pull the string!

tuesdays_jupiter Guest
    Everyone knows that I have epilepsy. The AED is have taken since I was 18 was increased around age 20 and I had insomnia, the blues, and when I would sleep I would have night terrors. I take trazodone as a sleep aid and have never thought of it as addicting, I can sleep without it, I just have the most horrible dreams imaginable....I had OCD stemming from a bad church experience as a child, but it has almost completely vanished (except for a few compulsions that are habit like now).

Quote Originally Posted by tuesdays_jupiter View Post
    Everyone knows that I have epilepsy. The AED is have taken since I was 18 was increased around age 20 and I had insomnia, the blues, and when I would sleep I would have night terrors. I take trazodone as a sleep aid and have never thought of it as addicting, I can sleep without it, I just have the most horrible dreams imaginable....I had OCD stemming from a bad church experience as a child, but it has almost completely vanished (except for a few compulsions that are habit like now).
    i did not know you had epilepsy but i consider you one courageous person. a lot of our bipolar medications for psychosis, i know, are used for epilepsy, or vice versa. thanks for sharing!
    pull the string!

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hell0kitty View Post
    i hear you on that one mrs. watson, what with twenty years of anti dep's plus menopause, not a pretty sight, but i'd rather be low libido than high depressive any day...
    Me too, Kitty, me too.

9. 08-25-2008, 08:36 PM

Pryncis Guest
    I've been diagnosed with GAD and moderate to severe depression. After my mother passed away (and while I was in a horrible relationship) I was taking Effexor and something else that made me sweat like I was running a marathon sitting still. I'd have night sweats so bad I'd wake up in the middle of the night ripping off clothes. It was horrible. I eventually just stopped taking the meds and got of out of the relationship. Things got much better once I started making better decisions for myself.

At this point, I have my moments, and I have my methods... I also started to like myself a whole hell of a lot more...

Quote Originally Posted by KMKSouthie2001 View Post
    For me it's the following: clinical depression (10+ years), severe anxiety (10+ years), Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (always present but started to really manifest itself about 6 years ago), Body Dysmorphic Disorder, Anorexia Nervosa (been in a healthy state of recovery for the past 3 years), and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. Out of all of these, I *hate* *hate* *hate* PTSD the most. Ugh. The flashbacks... random anxiety attacks... you name it, it's ridiculous. *shakes fist angrily at sky*

For almost four years now I've been taking 200mg of Zoloft daily (helps with depression and OCD) and 0.25mg of Clonazepam (helps with anxiety). The medicine has, along with other factors, really helped me to become a happier individual, despite adverse side effects. The only thing I hate about taking my medicine is the physical... not dependency but rather... necessity for it. If I forget to take my medicine or run out, I get painful headaches and my vision flickers like a television set from the 1980s. It's called SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome and it sucks. It sucks a lot.

Aaaannndd that's my spiel, folks.
    discontinuing any psychiatric medication is such a delicate process, i panic when i hear people just stopping it cold turkey. a person can DIE from that, and should only be done with the advise of a doctor. i hear you on the ptsd part, i can only imagine you've had all types of congnitive behavioural therapy, or dialectical behavioural therapy for your ptsd. you're doing your work and that is admirable nonetheless, and takes heaps of courage and determination. always maintain HOPE. have you looked into WRAP (wellness recovery action planning) www.mentalhealthrecovery.com, its done wonders for people who can and cannot for some physical reason, take medication. i use it myself as an addendum to my recovery and wellness (sev clinical depression, anxiety, panic)
    pull the string!

Perfectly sane death hag here!

Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post
    While my official diagnosis is neurological depression, brought on by the complications of all of my heart surguries & treatments.....I tend to think that I'm just crazier than a box of hangers. (wire ones, no doubt)

Without my meds 150mgs Effexor XR & 40 mgs of Remeron, I'm uncontrolably sad. Not a pretty sight. Now that everything has gotten more expensive, I'm going to have to figure a way to get my meds cheaper....or free. Advice?
    I found a link for you to check out. I don't know anything about it, but tried a search and found this:

http://free-meds.com/2007/05/
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    I do suffer from situational depression and I get very melancholy around the holidays. Granted my mom passed Christmas of 86 but, it's getting easier as the years go by. I'm a recovering addict, does that count, too?
    My mother also died on Christmas (the day after actually), which was also her 49th Birthday. I hate the holidays. I thought it would get easier, but instead its getting harder. I notice it coming on around Thanksgiving and goes right through mid-January. I think once my kids move out I probably won't even bother decorating or getting a tree any more.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

AmyWinelake Guest
    For me its just boring old Borderline Personality Disorder. I also get pretty annoying bouts of insomnia but they arent all that frequent...am not on meds as there is nothing they can prescribe for BPD. Just lotsa lotsa lotsa therapy

KMKSouthie2001 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hell0kitty View Post
    discontinuing any psychiatric medication is such a delicate process, i panic when i hear people just stopping it cold turkey. a person can DIE from that, and should only be done with the advise of a doctor. i hear you on the ptsd part, i can only imagine you've had all types of congnitive behavioural therapy, or dialectical behavioural therapy for your ptsd. you're doing your work and that is admirable nonetheless, and takes heaps of courage and determination. always maintain HOPE. have you looked into WRAP (wellness recovery action planning) www.mentalhealthrecovery.com, its done wonders for people who can and cannot for some physical reason, take medication. i use it myself as an addendum to my recovery and wellness (sev clinical depression, anxiety, panic)
    You're right on that one, kitty, I've had my fair share of therapy. I feel that the biggest thing that's helped me though is social interaction in a place (one, in particular) that fosters a sense of community and security. Within this community, I have grown from being a once shy, timid, and quiet person into a confident, outgoing, and social person. For now, I feel that I'm still in the stages where I need medicine along with the continued support of my friends, family, and community, in order to continue to move forward in my recovery process. I'm sure somewhere down the road-- a long time from now-- I'll be able to taper down to a lesser dosage, but as for not needing medication-- given my history-- I'm not so sure that will happen (at least not for another 10 - 20 years). Thanks for the response, kitty, I really appreciate it. *warm fuzzies* I wish you luck in your process to reclaim wellness, and I'm here for you if you ever need a helping hand.

Quote Originally Posted by KMKSouthie2001 View Post
    You're right on that one, kitty, I've had my fair share of therapy. I feel that the biggest thing that's helped me though is social interaction in a place (one, in particular) that fosters a sense of community and security. Within this community, I have grown from being a once shy, timid, and quiet person into a confident, outgoing, and social person. For now, I feel that I'm still in the stages where I need medicine along with the continued support of my friends, family, and community, in order to continue to move forward in my recovery process. I'm sure somewhere down the road-- a long time from now-- I'll be able to taper down to a lesser dosage, but as for not needing medication-- given my history-- I'm not so sure that will happen (at least not for another 10 - 20 years). Thanks for the response, kitty, I really appreciate it. *warm fuzzies* I wish you luck in your process to reclaim wellness, and I'm here for you if you ever need a helping hand.
    kmk! thank you for that vote of love and confidence, i'm so glad to hear about your recovery process also! its possible for everyone!!! god love ya!
    pull the string!

All of the above.....

Cupcake Guest
    Eating disorder for half my life. I went to intreatment care for 60 days in AZ. It has been under "control" now for about 6 years. I just started taking Paxil 10 mg for PMS. I have always been a little "off" and to be honest with ya, I enjoy being that way. I have a lovely sense of humor. I have been in therapy up until about 4 years ago. It got to the point that I couldn't "learn" anything new from any of the therapists I was/had been seeing. They were all tapped out and to be honest with ya, I "knew" what I needed to do for myself, I just had to step up to the plate and DO IT (which I am by the way)!!! I pretty sane now.....<insertevillaughhere>

Cupcake
    Last edited by Cupcake; 08-26-2008 at 04:09 PM.

kimmer927 Guest
    I'm not sure what I am. I had a very horrible experience at 17.
    Held up at gunpoint at work for 2 hours and then had to strip for the guy to get away and held as hostage while he robbed an adjacent store.
    So maybe I'm Post Traumatic or just goofy in the head.
    Got some abandonment issues also, but all good now.
    My 16 year old son is about to give me a stroke but I hear that's "normal".
    So yeah, I'm not sure about the whole healthy mental picture here.

Reecy Guest
    I take medicine for anxiety and it's only 20 mg. a day.

Guys I wanted to bump this because I had a question. Has anyone ever had to up their meds? If so what kind of side effects did you go through? I had to up my Prozac and Lamictal starting this morning and I feel like SHIT. I'm dizzy and nauseous. Is this normal?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Let's just say I am blessed. Thank you, Lord! I am blessed.

I'm not sure. I'm leaning towards saying 'yes' there's something, just because that's where the facts are pointing.

I mean, it runs in my family, particularly my father's side. His grandmother was put in an institution, for instance (I know that happened with a lot of women who just got too "uppidy" back in the day, but from what I've heard and seen myself, I don't think it was just because she talked back to my great granddaddy or whatever).

Was abused, physically, psychologically and otherwise as a kid (not to any horrendous degree, but it was enough I think).

I'm pretty sure I had some sort of emotional breakdown at around 17...or something. And it wasn't really set off by anything in particular, which was weird. I don't know. Whatever it was, I would never choose to go through it again no matter what you paid me.

Lately I've been feeling depressed. Nothing major, but it seems like all the flavor and color has gone out of everything. Nothing that used to be fun feels that way anymore, not really. There are times when I feel like I want to cry but nothing comes out. I'm always too tired. I'm sleeping more than anything else (except maybe studying and working). Though even the dreams aren't very pleasant lately. Not good times, basically.

Thing is I don't have any official confirmation that this could be anything. I went to two different therapists back at my old school and they said they thought there was nothing wrong, but that after only 2 sessions with therapist #1 (whom I think really couldn't care less), and I held a lot back from therapist #2. For some reason I always felt I had to be cheery around her. I don't know. I'm thinking of seeing someone else soon, just because I'd like to know for sure, one way or the other....

The Lucky One Guest
    I was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder years ago. I was put on Effexor with caused me to have seizures. It was a horrible experience. I'm now on no meds and taking steps to work on my issues.

I am not embaressed to admit that I have been clinically depressed for most of my life.
    I've been laid off so many times over the past couple of decades thanks to corporate pigs and people who can't run businesses.
    I had an extremely rare extremely violent cancer which I shouldn't have survived in '02/'03. It took a long time to get healthy.
    My daughter came down with Leukemia in '08 and she died in April of '09. Who wouldn't be depressed burrying their child?
    This is why I have Dysthemia (depressed more than not) Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Survivors guilt. Bad case of anxiety.
    Yes I do see a shrink. I was forced to sell my house and walk away with extremely little. I was diagnosed as being legally blind due to cataracts in August.
    After Hurricane Irene we had over 3 ft of water in our basement almost ruining our sale and on top of that we lost alot of our daughters things.
    I should be on antidepressants put out by Smith and Wesson.
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420

JudyAnn Guest
    I come from a long, crazy line of manic-depressives, Nervous Nellies and alcoholics. I suffer (and I mean suffer) from panic attacks and extreme anxiety. It's a special piece of hell.

A few things; I've done research and know that "nervous conditions" are correlated with (ahem) higher intelligence. I believe that many of who struggle with just getting through the day, whether it is because we are depressed, anxious, bipolar, hyperactive, schizophrenic or whatever - are generally very sensitive souls. Wonder which came first?

In my case, I have always been (hyper) sensitive to my emotions, my body and health, smells, tastes, "vibes" and am intuitive. My mind works on overdrive. I'm quick-witted but also am quick to anger. I come across as bubbly and energetic, but there's a fear of rejection and negativity there.

So, sensitive people are smart people who are interested in our world - even the macabre. We *care* about what happens to other people when they die and want to know more, maybe because this knowledge brings comfort. Or, maybe because we were taught *not* to speak of death and dying or whisper when we do. I'm interested in reading about health issues, to include dying and death. The more you know...

Mammy Guest
    I have dealt with severe depression for as far back as I can remember. There are some days that it takes every ounce of energy in my body to even get out of bed. I have mood swings that freak me out. I can go from being in a decent mood to being madder than hell or bawling my eyes out in a matter of minutes. It is very rare that I get a decent nights sleep and I stay tired all of the time. I work 10 hour shifts Monday through Friday and most weekends I never leave home. I thank God everyday for my wonderful husband who is so sweet to me and understands when I am having a bad day. When I was growing up, my parents had no patience with me on bad days and I heard a lot of "snap out of it" "quit moping around" "there are plenty of people who have it worse than you do" and "think happy thoughts." They acted like I was depressed for the hell of it. Anybody who has never dealt with depression has any idea how exhausting it is to live like that and it sure isn't something that I chose. Trying to explain it to a person who has never been like that is like trying to teach colors to someone who was born blind. I love this message board because there are so many people here who totally understand and it is awesome to have someone to talk to on here and know they get it.

buddyhollylover Guest
    depression since about 11 y/o, severe anxiety in the last few years, PTSD, ulcers...etc.etc....i'm supposed to take all kinds of meds but they make me wanna die. i've weeded through what works and what doesn't. i take xanax for anxiety, and to fall asleep at night.....yes i have a sleep disorder as well. i take like 4 meds for the ulcers and acid reflux. wtf happened to me?

fuck, i always feel like shit.

i guess what started all the death hag stuff for me was buddy holly, same age as depression hit. i got wrapped up into him and never looked back

Boy, I can sure relate. I've been numbed into a near coma by the events here between May 1, 2004 to the present. Relief from it is rare.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Mark of quality throughout the world...

Rosebud666 Guest
    Well I'm in therapy for clinical depression right now and I was telling my therapist about the FindaDeath website and forum just this morning.

He was intrigued and seemed to think it was a good thing. Unfortunately, it was near the end of my session when we got onto the topic, so the discussion kind of got cut off in the middle.

He did make a note of the URL, so I suspect he may drop by to have a look see. Maybe I've infected him with Death Haggery?! I'll let you know what his final pronouncement is on the subject.

Oh and I decided this morning to write and turn in the paper I still owe my professor for the independent study project he still gave me an "A" on 25 years ago. Won't he be surprised when he opens his mail. The Gestalt is now!

I'm perfectly sane, thanks!

I hear that is debatable, but I can say I've never been on any medication, I've never been drunk, I've never taken drugs, I have a wonderful 18 year marriage to my best friend, and God has blessed me with 3 amazing rescue pugs. Other than a stressful job and crappy economy, life is good!
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

A former college English lit professor of mine posted this on fb, and I thought it might help some of ya'll.

GOD IS NOT DEAD

I have had mental illness way before I became a death hag. Thanks for posting that Cindy, however, a lot of times, the attack comes on so suddenly for some we don't get prewarning to where we can do any of that.

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    I have had mental illness way before I became a death hag. Thanks for posting that Cindy, however, a lot of times, the attack comes on so suddenly for some we don't get prewarning to where we can do any of that.
    I know what you mean, pk. I've had it in the past, and it was just there BOOM! And other times I felt like one was coming on. It might help those on the edge.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Can an Anger attack and an Anxiety attack be related? I feel like they walk hand in hand.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    Can an Anger attack and an Anxiety attack be related? I feel like they walk hand in hand.
    Possible

Mine are triggered by fear or just thinking about getting one puts me on the verge. Haven't had one in eleven years, not even when my beloved ex BIL died at work. Or when I lost my husband and dog--I just wanted to die, no biggie. But today, as soon as I shared the above image on fb I started getting that awful feeling. So, I went to work reorganizing my clothes to calm down.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

No mentall illness here...maybe I’m just boring!

Oooooh....where do I begin???? I have been diagnosed with depression, anxiety, OCD, borderline anorexia (because of fasting), and everybody's favorite dissociative identity disorder. The best depiction I've seen of it on TV is The United States of Tara.
    "Tequila may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot."

"I just go here!"

"I am not psychic. I AM psychotic. BIG difference."