• am death hag with no history of mental disorders

69 41.57%
  • mind your own business kitty!

7 4.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: POLL: Death Haggism and Mental Illness

insanejeff Guest
    Bipolar here. Also insomnia. Obesity. High blood pressure. General nuttiness.

Edit: I forgot anxiety/panic disorder. And my feet smell.

I have conquered the anxiety problem though, pretty much. I can feel it coming on and walk it off basically. Walking is very good for a lot of these problems actually. Nothing has worked for my depression though, except when I gave up caffeine this year it seemed to pretty much stop the manic phases. It didn't help with the insomnia though. It's not so bad at the moment but I went through a period recently where I could not sleep more than an hour or two a day/night. Miserable feeling.

I also quit smoking back in April (thanks to Commit lozenges.. and I only needed those for about a week). This has been my year to take my body back from evil substances.. caffeine, nicotene, and my latest is high fructose corn syrup... I'm avoiding that crap every chance I get. Now if I could just lose some serious weight too...
    Last edited by insanejeff; 07-20-2008 at 03:15 PM. Reason: meh

nodano Guest

Generalized Bitchiness

I have Multiple Sclerosis. Sadly, depression runs rampant among us MSers. We're not sure if we're depressed from having the frigging disease or if the depression is symptomatic of the aforementioned frigging disease.

I take Lexapro and Cymbalta. I don't want to put a bullet through what's left of my brain as much as I used to. That can only be a good thing.

Amy

Seagorath Guest
    I think the economy has many people depressed right now...including myself...

...Because I can't take a trip to Amsterdam...

hoxharding Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverAndCold View Post
    It did wonders for me too, but I wonder about the long term effects..

I am on 40 mg of Paxil-have been on it I think at least 10 years. I used to be on 20 and upped it to 40. Then I also take 200 mg of Welburtin.

225 Effexor here. It's given me my life back.

Vamp Guest
    I love how docs have changed names over the years for instance, Depression in the 19th century was HYSTERIA, NEURALGIA, MELANCHOLIA, FEMALE PROBLEMS. Don't worry about the label I say so long as the meds make you feel better.

hoxharding Guest
    There was about a year in college that this doctor put me on two tricyclics-two.
    I pretty much botched all my classes because I was barely awake most of the time. I would even take ephedra to just try keeping my eyelids open-and guess what? Didn't work!
    Another time a doctor gave me a tricyclic for migraines(I was off the others)
    I took them as prescribed. I then became unconcious for 2 whole days. I lost 2 freaking days because of that crap. You know what? Didn't do a thing for my headaches. My mother shook me and screamed at me to wake me up during those two days. I would open my eyes and that is it.

AFoolandHisMonkey Guest
    Me: Depression and occasional panic attacks. They seem to run like crazy in my family. Zoloft is my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    You can add me to that unhappy group. Why has a good night's sleep become so elusive???
    sleep hygiene is essential to continuing wellness. has the doc given you a 'sleeper' jack? even if you had to take it a few nights in a row to re establish your sleep schedule its worth it. the proper environment, relaxation exercises, even soft music in the background can all help. i know its so hard to put away the affairs of the day at night and blank out enuff to induce sleep. it takes practice. lay off the caffeine at night, coffee, tea, chocolate, cokes, it all effects sleep.
    pull the string!

Morrissey Guest
    The reason I decide to go unmedicated is due to a horrible experience a few years ago.

I was a guinea pig, given 5-6 at once for a lot of my different problems (a few listed on page one of this forum)... The amounts were so high, and definitely too much for a 14-15 year old. I was a literal zombie, the overdose was poisoning me, and I couldn't function at all. I'd fall face first asleep at school -- I even fell asleep during an eye exam.

I'm so glad some people can survive on medicine, but I'm just too wary after that, knowing I've too many problems to medicate without needed multiple medicines.

-gets off my soapbox- Sorry! :x

hoxharding Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
    The reason I decide to go unmedicated is due to a horrible experience a few years ago.

I was a guinea pig, given 5-6 at once for a lot of my different problems (a few listed on page one of this forum)... The amounts were so high, and definitely too much for a 14-15 year old. I was a literal zombie, the overdose was poisoning me, and I couldn't function at all. I'd fall face first asleep at school -- I even fell asleep during an eye exam.

I'm so glad some people can survive on medicine, but I'm just too wary after that, knowing I've too many problems to medicate without needed multiple medicines.

-gets off my soapbox- Sorry! :x
    I was a guinea pig for lots of medication. One of the sleep medications gave me blackout. I wasn't overdoing them or drinking. It was Halicyon.
    I am now at the point that I research medication. I have had doctors try to get me to switch medications to newer ones. I stick to what I feels right.

malaki Guest
    I suppose I'm proud to say I have no mental illnesses of any kind.......

Queen_Death_Hag Guest
    I have insomnia & sometimes depression. Does that count as a mental illness.

smellslikealmonds Guest
    I am totally batshit crazy.
    Depression and all that.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hell0kitty View Post
    sleep hygiene is essential to continuing wellness. has the doc given you a 'sleeper' jack? even if you had to take it a few nights in a row to re establish your sleep schedule its worth it. the proper environment, relaxation exercises, even soft music in the background can all help. i know its so hard to put away the affairs of the day at night and blank out enuff to induce sleep. it takes practice. lay off the caffeine at night, coffee, tea, chocolate, cokes, it all effects sleep.
    I was taking Ambien but then the night terrors and sleepwalking started...I just couldn't handle it. I was sleeping, but the quality of sleep was totally different from "real" sleep...hard to describe. It didn't work for me. I also tried Trazodone, which worked, but is addictive and required a fairly constant escalating dose. So I've given up on the sleeping pills.
    Quite honestly, the ONLY thing that helps me sleep is marijuana--which also seems to be the gentlest and least invasive as far as side effects.

xenaswolf Guest
    Quite honestly, the ONLY thing that helps me sleep is marijuana--which also seems to be the gentlest and least invasive as far as side effects.
    Amen brother Jack! MJ is the only reason I EVER get a halfway good night's sleep.

Morbid1 Guest
    Does it make you crazy if you take Percocet and LOTS of beer?

lol..

-Morbid1

Ms. K Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vamp View Post
    Yes, to the mood disorder. (Major depression, recurrent, GAD or whatever else the P doc comes up with this week.)

Yes, to the psychotropic drugs.

I have noticed the people on this board are quite intelligent. I often associate mood disorders with intelligent people.
    I think you're right. I come from a family of very intelligent people....who suffer terribly from clinical depression.

And, I have clinical depression and general anxiety disorder. I take 20mg of Prozac once a day, and it helps with the mood swings, and keeps me from having horrible panic attacks.

stinkythejokedog Guest
    I'm know there are pages in the DSM-IV that describe me

stigmatization against mental illness gets up my nose. remember the movie 'the snake pit'. that was the singlemost tragic catalyst to finally bring down all hope of mental illness being just that, an illness. to be mentally ill meant to have a severe character flaw or character weakness. it was pictured as the 'family secret'. there was always a relative or family member who was a little 'different', or 'had headaches', who never came out of their room or was always in the hospital. what hollywood and the mainstream society has done to stigmatization against mental illness is tragic. to even admit to having a mental illness was never to be considered. we all have issues, we all may have or not have a healthy emotional resilience. trauma of some sort is always at the base of a mental illness. this stigmatization runs rampant even within the mental health sector of 'educators' and clinicians.
    pull the string!

Bayou Voodoo Guest
    I was diagnosed as bi-polar a long time ago, but since then I've come to believe that was an incorrect diagnosis. I am definitely clinically depressed, which manifests in all sorts of lovely ways. Insomnia, self-loathing, suicidal thoughts, etc and so on. I cannot take meds for it, at least not right now, because then I couldn't go work in Saudi...and I REALLY need to do that. ($$$$)

Being nuttier than squirrel shit generally runs in my family...none of us are "right in the head."

MbalmR Guest
    Brace for a sermon or move on to the next post.

I don't believe there is any correlation between being a death hag and having a mood disorder/mental illness. I do think that it's perfectly understandable that living human beings would have a natural curiosity about death, since humans are capable of realizing that it's going to happen to all of them. Human curiosity is what sustains human life. If certain questions were never asked or studied, where would we be? I realize that having a fascination with death won't prevent death from happening, but on some level, I believe that curiosity about death is a survival mechanism in the human race.

Having said all that, I have an anxiety disorder for which I've recently sought help. It would be fabulous if I could rely on therapy, a self-help book, and/or meditation alone to "fix" my problem, but the hard reality is that I cannot. My brain is obviously messed up in some way. For this I feel no shame. It's not like I asked for it. If I was diabetic, I would not be ashamed to be taking insulin and watching my diet. If I suffered from high blood pressure, I'd have no shame in taking medication for it. If I had hayfever, I'd stay away from grassy fields. If I was lactose intolerant, I'd forego cheese. Why must mental illness be reduced to a character flaw when it's clearly chemical in nature?

The answer is that mental illness manifests itself in behavior that others find offensive, repulsive, or criminal. You don't hear news reports of a person suffering from artheroschlerosis going on a killing spree, even if the person who did it HAD the condition. Sometimes human behavior IS reprehensible, but there are plenty of people out there who wish they didn't act or feel the way they do, and don't know what to do about it.

I know there are a lot of people out there who think mental illness is a myth, and it's good to know that they have more knowledge than the scientists and doctors who have spent decades researching this illness. I bow to your superior knowledge, as does the world-wide medical profession, and the day you have a cure that doesn't include medication, let us all know. You'll be in line for a Nobel Prize.

stinkythejokedog Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MbalmR View Post
    Brace for a sermon or move on to the next post.

I don't believe there is any correlation between being a death hag and having a mood disorder/mental illness. I do think that it's perfectly understandable that living human beings would have a natural curiosity about death, since humans are capable of realizing that it's going to happen to all of them. Human curiosity is what sustains human life. If certain questions were never asked or studied, where would we be? I realize that having a fascination with death won't prevent death from happening, but on some level, I believe that curiosity about death is a survival mechanism in the human race.

Having said all that, I have an anxiety disorder for which I've recently sought help. It would be fabulous if I could rely on therapy, a self-help book, and/or meditation alone to "fix" my problem, but the hard reality is that I cannot. My brain is obviously messed up in some way. For this I feel no shame. It's not like I asked for it. If I was diabetic, I would not be ashamed to be taking insulin and watching my diet. If I suffered from high blood pressure, I'd have no shame in taking medication for it. If I had hayfever, I'd stay away from grassy fields. If I was lactose intolerant, I'd forego cheese. Why must mental illness be reduced to a character flaw when it's clearly chemical in nature?

The answer is that mental illness manifests itself in behavior that others find offensive, repulsive, or criminal. You don't hear news reports of a person suffering from artheroschlerosis going on a killing spree, even if the person who did it HAD the condition. Sometimes human behavior IS reprehensible, but there are plenty of people out there who wish they didn't act or feel the way they do, and don't know what to do about it.

I know there are a lot of people out there who think mental illness is a myth, and it's good to know that they have more knowledge than the scientists and doctors who have spent decades researching this illness. I bow to your superior knowledge, as does the world-wide medical profession, and the day you have a cure that doesn't include medication, let us all know. You'll be in line for a Nobel Prize.
    Very good post!!

MbalmR Guest
    Thanks stinky baby!

Quote Originally Posted by insanejeff View Post
    Bipolar here. Also insomnia. Obesity. High blood pressure. General nuttiness.

Edit: I forgot anxiety/panic disorder. And my feet smell.

I have conquered the anxiety problem though, pretty much. I can feel it coming on and walk it off basically. Walking is very good for a lot of these problems actually. Nothing has worked for my depression though, except when I gave up caffeine this year it seemed to pretty much stop the manic phases. It didn't help with the insomnia though. It's not so bad at the moment but I went through a period recently where I could not sleep more than an hour or two a day/night. Miserable feeling.

I also quit smoking back in April (thanks to Commit lozenges.. and I only needed those for about a week). This has been my year to take my body back from evil substances.. caffeine, nicotene, and my latest is high fructose corn syrup... I'm avoiding that crap every chance I get. Now if I could just lose some serious weight too...
    i'd worry bout the stinky feet...
    pull the string!

There was a time when my cat and I were taking the same 'social anxiety' medication.

hoxharding Guest
    I was taking Ambien but then the night terrors and sleepwalking started...I just couldn't handle it. I was sleeping, but the quality of sleep was totally different from "real" sleep...hard to describe. It didn't work for me. I also tried Trazodone, which worked, but is addictive and required a fairly constant escalating dose. So I've given up on the sleeping pills.

Isn't Trazadone just an antidepressant? I have been given 2 bottles of it just this year. The second bottle is because I forgot to tell the doctor I can't use it. He called in a script and I was given it when I
    went for my Paxil.
    Anyway, even a sliver of it closes my nose almost instantly and
    I can't breathe. I had to spend 3 hours actually working at the inside of my nose so I could get to sleep.
    Are you sure it isn't just quickly tolerated and not addictive? Either way, I despise the stuff.
    I was given Ambien and hated it-gave me horrid headaches the next day.
    Restoril(?) was the best for me,but after maybe 2 nights,all it would do was relax me. If i wanted to stay up later than usual, I would take it! Which doesn't make sense,but that is what happened.

Sometimes doctors use prescriptions for 'off lable' uses, I take a really powerful muscle relaxant for restless leg syndrome and a migraine medication to make my mood swings go away.

RoRo Guest
    Everyone knows the crap I went thru as kid from other threads here, so I won't go into all that.
    I am taking Effexor right now and in the process of switching to Paxil.....The effexor works but is 1. too expensive and 2. too harsh for my kidneys and blood pressure with my diabetes being outta control and the meds I take for that!
    I was diagnosed with clinical depression and anxiety disorder when I was 26...I am now 43. I have tried several different meds and Effexor was the best so far...I am hoping Paxil will work for me this time since it is cheaper.
    When i wasn't on meds my friends said I scared them with my anger, sadness and the way I had of "zoning out"..I can control all that much better now than when I was younger.

I think it was DJ that was saying the Effexor was too expensive..try getting it thru Canada...I saved a crap load pf money that way...feel free to pm me and I will give you the name of the place I used since I know you will get the right drug and all that.

again i thank you all for your wonderful stories and observations, it all helps...
    pull the string!

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    Isn't Trazadone just an antidepressant? I have been given 2 bottles of it just this year. The second bottle is because I forgot to tell the doctor I can't use it. He called in a script and I was given it when I
    went for my Paxil.
    I can't breathe. I had to spend 3 hours actually working at the inside of my nose so I could get to sleep.
    Are you sure it isn't just quickly tolerated and not addictive? Either way, I despise the stuff.
    Restoril(?) was the best for me,but after maybe 2 nights,all it would do was relax me. If i wanted to stay up later than usual, I would take it! Which doesn't make sense,but that is what happened.
    It is an antidepressant, but as Hidium says it is frequently prescribed off label as a sleep aid. My partner was also prescribed Trazodone for sleeping and it works like a charm for him. I felt it was addictive...I had to add an extra pill every 3-4 months or so to get the same effect...I don't know if that's truly addictive or what, but it started to get scary. Really, I'd rather not sleep than take a handful of pills (I take enough of them for other stuff, believe me).
    It sounds like maybe you are allergic to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Hidium View Post
    Sometimes doctors use prescriptions for 'off lable' uses, I take a really powerful muscle relaxant for restless leg syndrome and a migraine medication to make my mood swings go away.
    I take a muscle relaxant also, for head pain. Again an off label solution, but it works!

puddles Guest
    I got a whole lotta obsessive compulsive disorder.

Rainwolf Guest
    I'm just a raging alcoholic, works for me.

puddles Guest
    just a bit of obsessive cumpulsive disorder, and just a dash of crippling depression and heavy drinking.

Ilmatar Guest
    Oh, crap.

I thought I was a death hag with no history of mental disorders. Apparently I've done too good a job trying to forget, that I actually forgot I was diagnosed with anorexia nervosa ten years ago. Anorexic people won't admit they're sick, and I stuck with that for a long time. Maybe I still don't see it the way it was: it didn't feel like I'd always thought a mental illness would.

During those years I had a few panic attacks (and since then have had that thrown in my face every time I think there's something wrong with me), but I've never been medicated or had any other mental illnesses.

So, I guess I used to be semi-crazy.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Yet another reason why the Demon Weed should be legal. Makes me sleep like a baby, too and when I was off my meds, I self-medicated with it a lot.

I know some people don't like the effects they get, but I love it and it tamps down my anxiety. It does seem to bring out some of my OCD tendencies, as I love to clean afterwards, more than my normal anal-retentive cleaning.

Vamp Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    went for my Paxil.
    Trazadone is mainly used off label as a sleep inducer.

Vamp Guest
    I don't consider myself crazy. At least on the outside, I am quite normal, and very capable. I manage a successful marriage, a successful (STRESSFUL) career, and hell I even get along with my parents and sibs! I have many friendships lasting decades, the longest nearly 30 years. My mental illness mainly manifests in self loathing, I am harder on myself than anyone else. Suicidal feels are just Uber Self Loathing. It's kind of funny but my beloved 80 year old Dad who I am so close to, always tells me "TO love myself more." He sounds like the Stuart Smalley character on Saturday Night Live but you know he is RIGHT.

redkatrampant Guest
    Bi Polar here. Severe SAD to go with it.

I have to REALLY medicate myself in the fall months because of the moon phases too. I kid you not.

Celexa,depakote and ativan.

stinkythejokedog Guest
    How many MDs, lawyers, teachers, police officers ect are on antidepressants?

hoxharding Guest
    It is an antidepressant, but as Hidium says it is frequently prescribed off label as a sleep aid. My partner was also prescribed Trazodone for sleeping and it works like a charm for him. I felt it was addictive...I had to add an extra pill every 3-4 months or so to get the same effect...I don't know if that's truly addictive or what, but it started to get scary. Really, I'd rather not sleep than take a handful of pills (I take enough of them for other stuff, believe me).
    It sounds like maybe you are allergic to it?

I take a muscle relaxant also, for head pain. Again an off label solution, but it works!

I was supposed to take Trazadone for sleep but who can sleep when you can barely breathe?
    It has to be some sort of allergy,I have known others taking it and I am the only one who was affected by it.
    I am just glad I didn't try a larger dose!

I was given Depakote for migraines- My skin became very cold, I barely could function,was barely awake and I had a headache the whole time I was on it!

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Watson View Post
    Yet another reason why the Demon Weed should be legal. Makes me sleep like a baby, too and when I was off my meds, I self-medicated with it a lot.

I know some people don't like the effects they get, but I love it and it tamps down my anxiety. It does seem to bring out some of my OCD tendencies, as I love to clean afterwards, more than my normal anal-retentive cleaning.
    I clean afterwards too--the kitchen cupboards, the fridge...I clean ALL that pesky food outta there!!!

redkatrampant Guest
    FYI
    All you guys on Effexor. High doses can be toxic to your liver.
    Just ask mine

Mrs. James Dean Guest
    I was diagnosed with insomnia as an early teen but I LOVE being an insomniac!!

I also suffer from somatoform disorder - in the mild hypochondriac family. This runs in my dad's side of the family. I was treated when I was in college with medication (Lexipro) and cognitive/behavioral therapy. I'm happy to say that this has been under control for years but of course I still freak out when I have a doctor's appt but not to the extreme. Needless to say, that I am in tune with my body and when something does not feel right I see my doctor. This does not control my life but it still present but I have the ability and coping skills to deal with it in a rational way.

I must say that since I've incorporated exercise in my life for the past 5 years --- it has done wonders. Exercise definitely helps if you have some sort of mental disorder, especially for those who suffer from depression.

Gardner32 Guest
    Borderline personality disorder here. Bi-polars cousin, only severe mood swings instead of hi/lows. No mania, just pure raging bitch at the drop of a hat.

Is it bad to mix Depakote and Reductil?

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bellafreud View Post
    Is it bad to mix Depakote and Reductil?

I never give professional advice on-line, but I STRONGLY reccommend you tell your Doctor about the Reductil.......OK.......

halogirl5 Guest
    Depression, but it's under control. Have had two periods in my life where i've taken medication; one lot was too strong and I just slept and felt fuzzy all the time, and the other lot made me fart a lot at first but then that settled down and I felt rather lovely. I came off it when I felt better most of the time. It still surfaces, but I can get by without medication.

Mark Guest
    For me its high blood pressure and epilepsy.

michael d Guest
    I have had bouts of depression that I saw a therapist. This week I am going through a series of test to see if I am ADD. I know a lot of people don't buy into it, notably my family. Dime store psychology by ignorant people is a pet peeve. . . (sorry wrong thread). I think that we are just at the cusp of understanding how the brain works.