Thread: Max McGee

magblax Guest

Max McGee

Superbowl athlete dies Saturday.. he fell off his roof http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7357918?GT1=10539

stinkythejokedog Guest
    advanced age + roof cleaning = THE BIG SLEEP

The first player to catch a touchdown pass in Super Bowl history...a sprts legend passes on...God Speed Max
    The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

Ruffian Guest
    My dad knew Max McGee. I loved the guy. He was funny as all get go and I loved to hear his stories. I can't imagine listening to a Packer game on the radio and not hearing his voice.

RoRo Guest
    sad way to go, but seriously why was he on a roof at 75, couldn't someone have helped him?

Helby Guest
    Max was a great guy..He will be missed by friends and family...but we are all lucky for having known him.

And when he caught that first touchdown pass he was hung the fuck over...went out drinking the night before cause he did not think he would play. When he went in he had to borrow someone else's helmet cause he left his in the locker room.

I love this McGee story as it highlights both the funloving Max and the brilliance of Vince Lombardi

"Fun-loving receiver Max McGee, who died at 75 last week, was notorious for sneaking out after curfew, but Packers coach Vince Lombardi’s threat to double the fine — first $125, then $250 — had no effect. Wrote Packers guard Jerry Kramer in “Instant Replay,” when coach encountered truant in the locker room after a third infraction:

” ‘MAX!’ Vince said. ‘That’s $500.’ Coach was really shaking; he was very, very upset. He seemed to be fighting a losing battle … Vince turned purple … ‘If you go out again, it’ll cost you a thousand.’

“The room was totally silent, hushed. Lombardi stopped shaking and actually managed to grin a little as he added.

‘Max,’ he said, softly, ‘if you can find anything worth sneaking out for, for $1,000, hell, call me and I’ll go with you.’ ”

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    I love this McGee story as it highlights both the funloving Max and the brilliance of Vince Lombardi

"Fun-loving receiver Max McGee, who died at 75 last week, was notorious for sneaking out after curfew, but Packers coach Vince Lombardi??s threat to double the fine ?? first $125, then $250 ?? had no effect. Wrote Packers guard Jerry Kramer in ??Instant Replay,? when coach encountered truant in the locker room after a third infraction:

? ??MAX!?? Vince said. ??That??s $500.?? Coach was really shaking; he was very, very upset. He seemed to be fighting a losing battle ? Vince turned purple ? ??If you go out again, it??ll cost you a thousand.??

??The room was totally silent, hushed. Lombardi stopped shaking and actually managed to grin a little as he added.

??Max,?? he said, softly, ??if you can find anything worth sneaking out for, for $1,000, hell, call me and I??ll go with you.?? ?
    Love the quote. So funny. I can picture it!