Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1219202122 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,050 of 1077

Thread: The Columbine Tragedy

Thank you for the pics!

Just an observation. They said Eric Harris shot and killed more than Klebold, but I notice in some of Klebold's candid pics, he was wearing actual glasses. Wonder if his sunglasses were prescription also? But no mention was made about contact lenses in his autopsy. Kind of hard to aim and shoot when blind, thank God!
    Last edited by Squishy; 12-29-2014 at 09:16 PM.

I just got a few Marilyn Manson books from my local shop and it's interesting to read what happened and everyone blaming him, games, music etc whenever something like this happens.

In one of them there is a quote where he mentions Cain bashing Abel's brains in. There was no books, movies or anything to inspire something so cold blooded. The only motivation he needed was his own human disposition to violence.

I finally had the opportunity to read the David Cullen book. One passage about Eric Harris still stands out in my memory. He had written about how he wanted to tear out someone's throat with his teeth.

" I want to tear a throat out with my own teeth like a pop can. I want to gut someone with my hand, to tear a head off and rip out the heart and lungs from the neck, to stab someone in the gut, shove it up to the heart, and yank the fucking blade out of their rib cage! I want to grab some weak little freshman and just tear them apart like a fucking wolf. show them who is god. strangle them, squish their head, bite their temples into the skull, rip off their jaw. rip off their colar bones, break their arms in half and twist them around, the lovely sounds of bones cracking and flesh ripping, ahh... so much to do and so little chances. -- 11/17/98"
    Last edited by Alanwench; 04-14-2015 at 12:28 AM. Reason: added a quote from Harris
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Alanwench View Post
    I finally had the opportunity to read the David Cullen book. One passage about Eric Harris still stands out in my memory. He had written about how he wanted to tear out someone's throat with his teeth.

" I want to tear a throat out with my own teeth like a pop can. I want to gut someone with my hand, to tear a head off and rip out the heart and lungs from the neck, to stab someone in the gut, shove it up to the heart, and yank the fucking blade out of their rib cage! I want to grab some weak little freshman and just tear them apart like a fucking wolf. show them who is god. strangle them, squish their head, bite their temples into the skull, rip off their jaw. rip off their colar bones, break their arms in half and twist them around, the lovely sounds of bones cracking and flesh ripping, ahh... so much to do and so little chances. -- 11/17/98"
    I reserved the Cullen book but too many people on the sites I go to have given it bad reviews and say the Brooks Brown one is better so I cancelled the request and ordered his instead.

I have seen the documentaries, read the books, looked on every site I could so while I couldn't say I was an expert, I know odds and ends. With Dylan, the majority say he was a mixed up kid who wouldn't have done it if it wasn't for Eric (something I don't believe) but with Eric opinion was split down the middle. For as many who said they knew he would do something like this, you had people saying they would never in a million years see it coming.

Out of the two of them, I think Dylan was the one who was the most dangerous. Eric wore his heart on his sleeve as the saying goes. There was proof he was capable of snapping and he seemed to be named the ringleader. It's Dylan that really creeps you out. He was supposed to be nothing more than this tall, lanky kid incapable of something so violent yet survivors have said he was just as bad as Eric with his actions. It was only when the cctv footage, diaries etc were released that real Dylan was revealed unlike Eric where you knew what you were getting.

Like I say, I'm in no way claiming to be an expert but I figured I'd add my opinion.
    Last edited by Shellie; 04-15-2015 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Spelling.

StewartGilliganGriffin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Squishy View Post
    Just an observation. They said Eric Harris shot and killed more than Klebold, but I notice in some of Klebold's candid pics, he was wearing actual glasses. Wonder if his sunglasses were prescription also? But no mention was made about contact lenses in his autopsy. Kind of hard to aim and shoot when blind, thank God!
    A Red Sox fan. Wow. He really was a dick.

Quote Originally Posted by shellc View Post
    I just got a few Marilyn Manson books from my local shop and it's interesting to read what happened and everyone blaming him, games, music etc whenever something like this happens.

In one of them there is a quote where he mentions Cain bashing Abel's brains in. There was no books, movies or anything to inspire something so cold blooded. The only motivation he needed was his own human disposition to violence.
    Manson is a really well spoken person and I respect him for it.

R.I.P. to those whose lives where ended on this day in 1999

8 hours
    "Death has come to your little town, Sheriff." -Dr. Loomis

Thinking of those who lost their lives and those who lost loved ones, also thinking of those that were injured and those whose lives were never the same after.

Quote Originally Posted by StewartGilliganGriffin View Post
    A Red Sox fan. Wow. He really was a dick.
    Yes, Dylan Klebold was SLIGHTLY more annoying than the average Red Sox fan.
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    Manson is a really well spoken person and I respect him for it.

R.I.P. to those whose lives where ended on this day in 1999
    He totally is. I've seen so many interviews where the host has thought he was nothing more than this unintelligent freak of nature and watched happily as he showed them how wrong they were. He's not as outspoken as he used to be but you can see it's still there bubbling under the surface.

Xiroi Guest
    Coincidence? The first ever school attack in Spain, by a 13 yr old boy, exactly on the Columbine anniversary.

Sadly one teacher died, but save for that sad fact plus another teacher and a couple of students who were injured, the similarities with Columbine were hardly none.

It ended up with the sports teacher, who's also a psychologist, convincing the boy to give him the weapons, the boy collapsing, crying and sobbing uncontrollably and the teacher hugging and comforting him until the police arrived.

According to Spanish law he's too young to be charged so he's being kept in a psychiatric facility.

http://http://www.theguardian.com/wo...k-in-barcelona

Alycat32 Guest
    I recently read the David Cullen book as well, after I watched Amanda Duran (Amanda Stair, Joe Stair's sister) on youtube talking about being a survivor from the Library attack. I just jumped into this thread, plan to read through it later, so sorry if Amanda has been brought up already (or more than once) but if you've not checked out her videos, they are quite interesting. Her life seems to have been quite rocked with some awful stuff. Anyway, after reading his book I thought I had it in my head what really happened, but as was said, after reading things that Brook's Brown and other actual people that KNEW Eric and Dylan have said, I just don't know anymore. Cullen made Eric sound like a ladies man and Dylan kind of lazy, where as Brook's says they both probably died Virgin's and Dylan was a huge sports fan. Either way it sounds like the police department seriously F'd up on this one, that seems to be what's agreed on most.

Dylan Klebold's mom has a book coming out in 2016 and an interview with Dianne Sawyer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-February.html
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by TheWrath of MadelineKahn View Post
    Dylan Klebold's mom has a book coming out in 2016 and an interview with Dianne Sawyer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-February.html
    I very much liked the article she wrote for "O" magazine a few years ago. I'll probably read this book. She seems very well spoken and understands the way her son is seen by others. It never seemed as if she tried to excuse away or blame Dylan's actions on anyone else.

I don't know...we may learn about these kids from her book...but I don't feel comfortable about her earning money off of what her son and his friend did.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

The article says all proceeds are going to mental health charity and research....
    Missing my Pa every day. RIP Daddy ❤️♥️

“Get drunk and sing Elvira”

I don't think she is doing it for profit, she wants to speak out and tell her story. I don't buy that music, video games, etc made someone kill, I mean my goodness if that were true Cain wouldn't have killed Able, Albert Fish wouldn't have killed Grace Budd, Andrew Kehoe wouldn't have blown up The Bath School in Bath Michigan and Phillip Pesti wouldn't have set fire to Our Lady of Angels and Marian Parker would have lived to be an old lady.

Interesting article with lots of Columbine mentions. Also, I think the mother Mrs. LaDue spoke with was most probably Dylan's mom.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/03/us/min...due/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcinea View Post
    Interesting article with lots of Columbine mentions. Also, I think the mother Mrs. LaDue spoke with was most probably Dylan's mom.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/03/us/min...due/index.html

Welllllll that's freaking comforting!! "Coming to a town near you"!!!
    My Posse's On Broadway

krystleann Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    I was a junior and was home sick from school that day. I remember just being totally in shock that this could happen. It was one of the first huge experiences with violence that I had.
    I was "sick" at home as well, and in middle school at the time. Well, more like playing hooky than I was actually sick.. My thrilling hooky activity was playing Monopoly against myself (what a dork, right?) while I heard my mom yell upstairs to me about a shooting to turn on the news. I remember listening to coverage while staring at the game set. .. Imagining if such a thing were to happen at my school and the chances of me being home sick at the time, etc... BTW Miho- Same for me, it was one of my first huge experiences with violence as well. BTW, I'm from CT too. )

The discrepancy regarding the "Believe in God?" question is pretty crazy.. Didn't Cassie's mom write a book about Cassie's death and based it on her being asked about God when it was in fact the other person? Seems strange to me..

While this was teased last summer, Diane Sawyer's interview with Susan Klebold is airing this Friday (February 5) on ABC. I have a lot of empathy for Mrs. Klebold; I think the only thing that could possibly be worse than the death of a child is the suicide of a child, and possibly the only thing worse than the suicide of a child is the knowledge that they killed so many others before their death. I am not a parent, and while I think there were a lot of signs that something was wrong, ultimately that was her baby who did such terrible things. I would imagine she doesn't go a day without thinking of that.

http://abcnews.go.com/Press_Release/...ry?id=32641362

I hope someone uploads it so we can see it in the UK

His is poor mum though, I agree Nessa. I imagine she if full of guilt, of which she shouldn't be at all!

I've raised two sons and while I'm sorry for Mrs. Klebold, she CLEARLY wasn't paying attention to her son's behavior, his activities, his friends, etc. It seemed that she was just allowing him to coast on in life without any direction or discipline. I also raised a daughter (she's the youngest) and she has always been, by far, more mature than the boys. They seem to have explosions of temper (probably due to hormones) that they need an outlet for. I think his parents should have stepped in way before the killings.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

I agree that there had to have been warning signs, but I think the ultimate fault lies with Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris. I think even if she had acted on anything, it would be really difficult to think, My son is planning on killing people.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    I agree that there had to have been warning signs, but I think the ultimate fault lies with Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris. I think even if she had acted on anything, it would be really difficult to think, My son is planning on killing people.
    I agree to a degree. There were some pretty blatant signs that things were headed down a dark path. I also don't agree with teens being allowed to play violent video games. For most kids, it won't push them toward actual violence, but it only takes a couple of kids to go too far and we have the events at Columbine. I also think the "jock" love that seems to be in most high schools is a bit ridiculous. My younger son played football in junior high and the first two years of high school, and you would think that he was a rock star. I was very pleased when he had to make a decision to either stay on the football team or be on the drum line in the marching band. For two years he did both, but once he got close to playing varsity, he had to choose. He's a wonderful musician, so things worked out.
    Minerva

luckyinlove Guest
    I just looked it up. The interview will be aired on 20/20 on February 12.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyinlove View Post
    I just looked it up. The interview will be aired on 20/20 on February 12.
    Thanks for the correction!
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

this picture of Harris and Klebold from 1999 says it all

Did anyone catch the interview?
    I'm dying to see it!

navallint Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    this picture of Harris and Klebold from 1999 says it all

Nothing but evil in their faces and eyes. I had seen the big group pic, but not this close up. Thanks, Cash.
    I meant to watch the mother last night and fell asleep. May be on putlocker.

Quote Originally Posted by Torious View Post
    Did anyone catch the interview?
    I'm dying to see it!
    I saw it and I thought of two things - liberal parenting and the availability of guns are a deadly combo.

Deathgoddess Guest
    I saw it and I thought of two things - liberal parenting and the availability of guns are a deadly combo.
    Well, From what I have read Eric's parents certainly didn't subscribe to "liberal" parenting. In fact, his dad was pretty strict and military.

I watched too, and it was really interesting. Hard not to feel for her. Especially when you look back and realize all of this happened in a post-Columbine world. They had no idea that anything like what happened was a possibility. Unfortunately her son (and Eric Harris) set the precedent for these shootings, so they had nothing to base their concerns on. I bet there are a lot of parents out there that are hoping their kids will grow out of their sullen phases, and they probably don't think their child will be the next school shooter.

http://youtu.be/rAvuIYJ64Oo

for anyone who wants to see the interview

Sue Klebold on NPR - an in depth interview - touches on the basement tapes/bullying/Dylan's remains:

http://www.npr.org/2016/02/16/466618...re-i-go-always
    Last edited by cash; 02-16-2016 at 05:24 PM.

The Diane Sawyer interview with Susan Klebold was just heartbreaking. I can't imagine how she gets through each day, let alone almost 17 years of them. I felt so sad for her. It was gut wrenching.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    The Diane Sawyer interview with Susan Klebold was just heartbreaking. I can't imagine how she gets through each day, let alone almost 17 years of them. I felt so sad for her. It was gut wrenching.
    It was. I know from experience you can only guide/control your child up to a certain age. They get rebellious and sneaky. But you always got to be their parent and not their friend.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Sue Klebold on NPR - an in depth interview - touches on the basement tapes/bullying/Dylan's remains:

http://www.npr.org/2016/02/16/466618...re-i-go-always
    Just listened to this (thanks)...idk...as much as I want to feel sympathy for her I hear a lot of excuses & she talks about his suicide like he didn't kill or injure anyone prior

Sue also done an interview here in the UK it was called - Our World : Columbine - A Killer in the Family.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b072hry0

If you are not from the UK and you can't see it then a proxy site should let you. It still has 24 days left to view from today (29/02) and I thought it was a good watch for anyone interested in the subject.

No matter what he did, he's still her baby.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Just read: A Mother's Reckoning: Living in the Aftermath of Tragedy by Sue Klebold. Some points:

- The book focuses more on Dylan's suicide rather than the multiple homicides committed by Dylan and Eric Harris,
    - Eric Harris and his parents are barely mentioned except to say that Eric was a psychopath,
    - Sue believes that if Dylan wasn't suicidal he wouldn't have committed the homicides - not sure I agree with this,
    - Sue didn't believe that Dylan was a willing participant in the shooting until she saw the Basement Tapes in October 1999 - seriously ???
    - She didn't know Dylan drank alcohol until she saw the Tapes - really ??
    - The whole book is a whitewash - she and her husband had no idea they were raising a monster ( she was and is a great parent ),
    - She goes over her last months and days with Dylan to let us know how good Dylan was at hiding his depression and rage,
    - Sue and her husband bought Dylan the black trench coat as a Christmas gift,
    - To me Sue didn't know her son ( and she still doesn't )

Dylan's nickname was The Sunshine Boy - I don't see sunshine from below:

Sue has dedicated her life to Suicide prevention which is fine but to me she comes across as clueless. I wonder how the victims' families feel about this book.

Last edited by cash; 02-29-2016 at 04:11 PM.

dont feel sorry for her. you dont let your kids rule the house.

Cash - excellent post. I agree with every word of it. I told all three of my children that they have absolutely no expectation of privacy and if I suspect that they're headed in a direction that I don't agree with, I will be like the CIA, all up in their shit. This mother absolutely did not know her son.
    Minerva

From What I understand, Dylan didn't rule the house they had rules enforced, before he met Eric, it was said Dylan was the perfect son, honestly how many of you really know your teens? They are very sneaky and if they want something and want to hide something from mom and dad they can be very good about it. I don't blame Sue or Mrs. Harris at all.

Just because a kid is raised right doesn't mean they will walk right. And kids who've had no parenting don't always turn out bad. A lot of it, but not all, comes down to more than just setting or being lax about rules. There's emotional nurturing. When a kid lacks a healthy amount of demonstrative love and attention at home he or she is apt to go looking for it in the wrong place.
    Last edited by cindyt; 02-29-2016 at 06:45 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    From What I understand, Dylan didn't rule the house they had rules enforced, before he met Eric, it was said Dylan was the perfect son, honestly how many of you really know your teens? They are very sneaky and if they want something and want to hide something from mom and dad they can be very good about it. I don't blame Sue or Mrs. Harris at all.
    Most of the time if a teenage boy's mouth is moving, he's not telling the truth. You have to know their friends, listen to what they're telling you and most of all, when they say they're going to be somewhere, check. Its human nature to test the boundaries. I'm not blaming her for what her son did, I'm just saying I think signs were ignored.
    Minerva

Yes signs were ignored when an straight A students grades start to slip and he gets in trouble for breaking into a car or van? can't remember all the details. then yes signs were ignored. I agree on that part.

http://www.westword.com/news/video-d...attack-8079357
    Another Columbine Jeffco fuckup, figured out years later. Their official timeline was already off; this only proves that further.