Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 291011121320 ... LastLast

Thread: The Columbine Tragedy

Great link!

Lita Guest
    I bet Brooks is sick of the lime light especially after Bowling for Columbine came out and all the subsequent fall out with Michael Moore. In Brooks' book he touts Michael Moore as a great guy but I bet later he found out otherwise. Another of the Columbine victims that appeared in that film was very open about the promises Michael Moore made to him to get this kid to appear in the film and then of course never followed through. But I guess that's part of Hollywood.

Great article about Dylan's friend too. He's right, after all this time people need to forgive at least themselves and stop blaming themselves for "not doing enough" to stop this from happening.

In that big picture posted, maybe I'm thinking too much but I swear 6 windows in and 6 up I can see Dylan with his backwards hat and what looks like a strap across his chest.

Cangirl58 Guest

Brooks Brown

He once posted his blog on Atlas is Shrugging years ago. That attracted mostly questions about Columbine rather than it's intended use. He now posts on another blog (I won't link it) which is completely unrelated to Columbine. Also, remember that Brooks was once considered a suspect and his parents were accused of lying (this is referring to the police complaint the Brown family made (one year prior) in relation to Eric's web site threat towards Brooks). That is known as the Missing Guerra Files. Eventually, after an inquiry it was found. The chain of command was broken and if that warrant was executed...we would not be here today. Hence, I believe to be the drive for Randy Brown's crusade to get these documents and the real facts released. Actually, along with a few of the victim's family, he has been instrumental in doing so.

Cangirl58 Guest

Nessa

This is Patricia Neilsen (hope I spelled her name right) the one you hear on the 911 library tape. She mentions she looked at her watch and it was around 1p.m. when she heard 3..2..1.. then 2 shots right after another. According to Jeffco this can't be the shooters as they claim (with no known witnesses) to have killed themselves at 12:08p.m. What she may of heard is SWAT but according to Jeffco they had not entered that part of the school at that time. Very conflicting testimony...who to believe.

ShatteredMirror Guest
    My initial feelings over these two?

A couple of inadequate losers who - like most losers - blamed everything and everyone for their supposed 'misfortunes'. Family, school friends, the system, society, blah, blah, blah. etc. etc.

Just because mumsy never trucked you in bed or daddy never said he loved you - then, yes, that's the root problem that makes you end up shooting people dead at random.

They were wasters. Pure and simple.

Various pics of Dylan and Eric here:

http://acolumbinesite.com/end.html

This site has a wealth of info on their journals, writings, webpages, etc.

Also pics of their memorial crosses

Lita Guest
    That memorial site has a lot of great info on it. I didn't realise how indepth it was.

Meli Guest
    Great links and info everyone. I havent been working on my research in the last week (its been beautiful here and Ive spent a lot of time at the pool LOL)

Outlier Guest
    I'm about 3/4 of the way through "Columbine" and found this last night. CAUTION: It's a "training video" made in the library a couple of days after the shootings and shows some of the bloody aftermath. In Cullen's book, he says the release of this tape caused a furor because, if I remember correctly, the sheriff's department was actually selling copies of it with a Sarah Mclachlan backing track (which her people heard about and forced them to remove). Forgive me if someone has already posted, but I gave a pretty thorough look and didn't see it.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=604_1180198967

Cangirl58 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlier View Post
    I'm about 3/4 of the way through "Columbine" and found this last night. CAUTION: It's a "training video" made in the library a couple of days after the shootings and shows some of the bloody aftermath. In Cullen's book, he says the release of this tape caused a furor because, if I remember correctly, the sheriff's department was actually selling copies of it with a Sarah Mclachlan backing track (which her people heard about and forced them to remove). Forgive me if someone has already posted, but I gave a pretty thorough look and didn't see it.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=604_1180198967

This is a portion of the Fireman Training Video (the original is longer). Thank"s for posting this as I wasn't going to. Much too personal in reguards to the victims Very brutal for the first time viewing though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cangirl58 View Post
    This is a portion of the Fireman Training Video (the original is longer). Thank"s for posting this as I wasn't going to. Much too personal in reguards to the victims Very brutal for the first time viewing though.
    Oh, boy, that was rough....

Lita Guest
    There's no sound. It would have been nice to know like "This is where this person was found." I saw the thing that identified where Danny was killed and you could tell which blood spots were Dylan and Eric's. My brain was so far left of center during the filming to cope with the images that I thought "I wonder what happened to those plants?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lita View Post
    There's no sound. It would have been nice to know like "This is where this person was found." I saw the thing that identified where Danny was killed and you could tell which blood spots were Dylan and Eric's. My brain was so far left of center during the filming to cope with the images that I thought "I wonder what happened to those plants?"
    Ohhhh...that was you I kept bumping into when I kept thinking "what about the books? and computers? ...and how would they clean the furniture?" because that stuff is so expensive to replace....

Cangirl58 Guest

Not all are shown...

...in this clip. Just before you view Eric's and Dylan's, the table with the burn/scorch mark on top is where Patrick Ireland was shot...just a few feet away but he has no recollection of hearing them shooting themselves.

This may take awhile for you to get an idea as who was where, try looking here:http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2000/col...ketch_0048.htm and work your way forward by clicking the FORWARD button at top.

Cangirl58 Guest

No longer exists

Quote Originally Posted by MaxyMillions View Post
    Ohhhh...that was you I kept bumping into when I kept thinking "what about the books? and computers? ...and how would they clean the furniture?" because that stuff is so expensive to replace....

The original library was demolished and re-built at the other end of the school. The commons is now two story high and resembles an atrium when looking up with murals painted on the ceiling. Everything was replaced and bought new for the newer library.

Lita Guest
    Yeah, I think a lot of us are there just trying to comprehend.

Lita Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by findadeathaddict View Post
    This site has a wealth of info on their journals, writings, webpages, etc.

Also pics of their memorial crosses
    Some of the other books I've read have said that the guy who built the crosses had built crosses before for people killed in violent ways and they made him sound like this incredibly compassionate person. Cullen's book Columbine tells us that this guy actually had a history of profitting from his crosses and he took the Columbine crosses on a cross-country tour and did publicity appearances. It seems this guy is more of a shister than a soft heart.

Northern Lights Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSunshine View Post
    Wasn't Patrick Ireland pretty out of it by that point? I remember reading he was barely conscious when he went out the window. Amazing guy.
    Yes, he was. First he didn't know for sure what happened, he says it in this video clip too. Yes, he's amazing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a4swHCReLM

Northern Lights Guest
    I often wonder if something like that happened to me whether I would have the will to fight it, or whether I'd just lay down and die. I hope I never have to find out!
    Yeah, I don't want to find out, either. I think that I don't have that kind of determination than he had.

heaven01uk Guest
    Wasn't Patrick Ireland shot in the head which makes it even more of a miracle that he survived. I remember on the anniversary they had a special in one of the papers over here just about Patrick Ireland.

Northern Lights Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by heaven01uk View Post
    Wasn't Patrick Ireland shot in the head which makes it even more of a miracle that he survived. I remember on the anniversary they had a special in one of the papers over here just about Patrick Ireland.
    He was shot twice on the left side of his head and was paralyzed on his right side, but he made almost full recovery.

Here's a few words how he's doing now
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/MindMoo...7363898&page=1

Lita Guest
    Patrick is one tough cookie, that's for sure.

michellezearing Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
    Yes, he was. First he didn't know for sure what happened, he says it in this video clip too. Yes, he's amazing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a4swHCReLM
    That video made me a little weepy. That's so wonderful that he could go past this horrible thing and be planning a wedding and stuff *maybe already married I don't know when that was filmed* because I think if it had happened to me I would be dwelling on it too much even 5 10 years later.

Northern Lights Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by michellezearing View Post
    That's so wonderful that he could go past this horrible thing and be planning a wedding and stuff *maybe already married I don't know when that was filmed* because I think if it had happened to me I would be dwelling on it too much even 5 10 years later.
    That is true. It is nice to see he's doing so great now.

Cangirl58 Guest

Patrick Ireland

He's writing a book as well. You can read an exerpt as well as watch the the video of the "Boy in the window" rescue here: (warning...may be graphic for some)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/n...ory?id=4069745

heaven01uk Guest
    That video made me a little weepy. That's so wonderful that he could go past this horrible thing and be planning a wedding and stuff *maybe already married I don't know when that was filmed* because I think if it had happened to me I would be dwelling on it too much even 5 10 years later.
    As far as I remember from the newspaper article he said he is married now and doing well, he still has some problems walking I think. He said if he ever had kids he would send them to Columbine. He is tough surviving that.

willow Guest
    has anyone read The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb?

Quote Originally Posted by willow View Post
    Yes, and I loved it, as I have Wally Lamb's other books. Jodi Picoult's book Nineteen Minutes was also a good novelization of a school shooter, as was I Think We Need to Talk About Kevin (or something close to it). I read these before I read any of the Columbine books.

RubySlippers Guest
    As far as I remember from the newspaper article he said he is married now and doing well, he still has some problems walking I think. He said if he ever had kids he would send them to Columbine. He is tough surviving that.
    He's a lawyer, I believe.

Cangirl58 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RubySlippers View Post
    He's a lawyer, I believe.
    Patrick Ireland, now 27, is married to his college girlfriend, the former Kacie Lancaster, and is a field director for the Northwestern Mutual Financial Network in Denver.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/n...ory?id=4069745
    Last edited by Cangirl58; 06-08-2009 at 04:59 PM. Reason: To add source.

RubySlippers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cangirl58 View Post
    Patrick Ireland, now 27, is married to his college girlfriend, the former Kacie Lancaster, and is a field director for the Northwestern Mutual Financial Network in Denver.
    so was wrong.

Lita Guest
    I remember reading about how Patrick couldn't really tell what was going on when he went out the window. He remembers that the SWAT team was telling him to stay where he was but then he thought one of them said to jump because they had him (which they never said to him). I remember him also saying that when he was on the roof of the armored vehicle he was still trying to get down and into the truck because he thought he had to drive away from the killers or he just knew he had to be in the truck. To actually see that video and go "Oh yeah, you can tell the right side of his body is paralyzed. Oh yeah, he just goes out the window to the cops and he left blood on the building. Oh yeah, you can see him fighting the cops on top of the truck. Oh, there he is fighting the cop on the ground so he can get in the truck." It makes it all so much more real.

I'm reading it now.

Thanks Maxy! I'll definitely read it now. Does Lamb's book go into the event itself much or is it focused on the effect it has on survivors?
    It focuses on a nurse who survives Columbine and what her life and her husband's life is like after the trauma. It's all about her struggles and what ultimately happens to her. My mom told me it takes a weird left turn so we'll see, I'm not to that point yet. I'm on page 996 of 1952...I'm reading in medium font on my mom's Sony E-Reader. I think I want to get myself a Kimbel though...sorry random thought.

heaven01uk Guest
    I watched the Discovery channel documentary thing they did last night. Zero hour The columbine massacre. I had to watch the whole lot on youtube but i found it quite interesting. Ive been debating whether to get the Dave Cullen book or not. I'm in 2 minds about. I don't want to buy a book that's full of crap and that I'm gonna be disappointed about. That's even if I can get it here in England, I may have to have it ordered in.

Impatience Guest
    I've read it twice. Interesting read. It's a take off character from 'I Know This Much Is True' and Caelum Quirk mentions Dominique and Thomas Bridsey several times.

Impatience Guest
    I have it but I'm still looking for a large enough window to give me time to read it- it's a hefty tome. The reviews were also a bit so so, which made me not in a hurry to get to it. I haven't read any Wally Lamb books before, but people usually rave about him.
    Wally Lamb tends to ramble a bit in my opinion, but I still love reading him.

Northern Lights Guest
    I started reading it today.

heaven01uk Guest
    Ive decided on ordering the Dave Cullen book and the Brooks Brown book.

Hobbes12 Guest
    Read it up!!!

Lita Guest
    I watched the Discovery channel documentary thing they did last night. Zero hour The columbine massacre. I had to watch the whole lot on youtube but i found it quite interesting. Ive been debating whether to get the Dave Cullen book or not. I'm in 2 minds about. I don't want to buy a book that's full of crap and that I'm gonna be disappointed about. That's even if I can get it here in England, I may have to have it ordered in.
    The Dave Cullen book isn't full of crap. I thought it was going to be but I found it very interesting.

Ive decided on ordering the Dave Cullen book and the Brooks Brown book.
    Both are good books. I guess people close to the situation say Brooks' has a tendency to exaggerate.

heaven01uk Guest
    The Dave Cullen book isn't full of crap. I thought it was going to be but I found it very interesting.

Both are good books. I guess people close to the situation say Brooks' has a tendency to exaggerate.

Thankyou I'll look forward to reading them then lol. I decided on the Brooks book purely because he was friends with Eric and Dylan and I do need something new to read lol.

Lita Guest
    At the risk of taking this thread off path, my husband has an e-reader and it's perfect for enormous books like Lamb's. I want one too! We can't get the Kindle in Australia yet.
    I don't know why I thought it was a "Kimbel". Blonde moment, I guess. The Kindle's a little too rich for my blood right now. I'm reading the Hour I First Believed on my mom's e-reader and I like it okay. The book however does take a weird left turn way into the book but my mom says that it all sort of meshes back together at the end. So far though it's been a very interesting book. It would be interesting if they did a character study on some of the actual survivors of Columbine and see the paths their lives take after that day.

Intervention on A&E

I just saw that next week's episode of Intervention (June 22) is the story of Jason, who was labeled a bully by the Columbine Shooters.

Verrry interesting......

Please update the thread after you watch the show, Max. I would like to know what is said!

heaven01uk Guest
    I just saw that next week's episode of Intervention (June 22) is the story of Jason, who was labeled a bully by the Columbine Shooters.

Verrry interesting......
    That does look interesting, I think I will have to find somewhere I can watch it online.

michellezearing Guest
    I ordered the brooks brown book today

octobersky Guest

Verrry interesting......
    Thanks Maxy. I didn't know this. I watch Intervention every week.

octobersky Guest
    You'll really enjoy it Michelle! It's a great look from an insider who was very close to Dylan.
    I really wish I had the attention span to read these books! They all sound so interesting. The only time I can relax enough to read is in the tub and then I end up in a freezing tub of water. I used to read a few books a week now it's hard to focus.

hoxharding Guest
    I ordered the brooks brown book today

I had no idea he wrote a book. He is the one who Dylan gave the website address to.