Thread: Ruth Darling

TheMasterKey Guest

Ruth Darling

Soldier's Wife Is Killed by Collision

SAN Francisco, September 12, 1918

Mrs. Chester M. Franklin, formerly known as Ruth Darling, motion picture actress, is dead as the result of an automobile accident in which two cars crashed together at Polk and Geary streets. She died at the Central emergency hospital, where she was taken after the crash. At the hospital it was first thought that she was Grace Darling, another picture star, this mistake in identity being cleared up when friends of the dead woman arrived.

A car driven by D. H. Evans of the Pressey Hotel crashed into another operated M. J. Sloss, and Mrs. Franklin, who was standing on the sidewalk, was hurled against an electric light pole by the impact. Her husband is a soldier stationed at the Presidio.

Mrs. Franklin, as Ruth Darling, played with the Balboa features and with Douglas Fairbanks, giving up the picture work to marry Franklin, who before entering the army was a local theatrical man.

TheMasterKey Guest
    Actress:

1. The Hidden Woman (1922) .... Vera MacLoid
    2. Fifty-Fifty (1916/I) .... Louise O'Mally
    3. Manhattan Madness (1916) .... Maid
    4. Intolerance: Love's Struggle Throughout the Ages (1916) (uncredited) .... Girl of the Marriage Market (Babylonian Story)
      ... aka Intolerance (USA: short title)
      ... aka Intolerance: A Sun-Play of the Ages (USA: copyright title)

Archive Footage:

1. The Fall of Babylon (1919) .... Girl in Marriage Market

RIP Ruth
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

John Connor Guest
    She died in 1918 but she made a film in 1922. How'd she do that? Maybe it was Grace but they thought it was Ruth.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by John Connor View Post
    She died in 1918 but she made a film in 1922. How'd she do that? Maybe it was Grace but they thought it was Ruth.
    1922 is the release year of the film.

TheMasterKey Guest
    Another article said Ruth was simply waiting for a streetcar when the accident happened. She was only in her early '20s. I checked Chester's listing at IMDb, and it does not show that he remarried.

TheMasterKey Guest
    I just came across more articles on Ruth and wanted to add some new/different facts to make her entry as complete as possible.

One article said an ambulance was speeding to the hospital with a patient, it clipped another car, jumping onto the side walk and into Ruth, waiting for the streetcar. It said she was pinned against a fire hydrant. She lived a few minutes after being taken to the hospital. Geary and Larkin Streets were given as the scene of the accident.

She had just recently married, and her husband made identification at the hospital.

The majority of the articles incorrectly identified her as actress Grace Darling.

I wonder if the '22 film listed at IMDb was made by Grace.

[quote=John Connor;948628]She died in 1918 but she made a film in 1922. How'd she do that? quote]

She had a contract with LASKY PLAYERS and they dug her ass up.
    LASKY realized that no one but no one could play the part of Mrs. MacLoid the way that whatserface could so they got a few nose candy addicts in need of a fix and provided them shovels.

I'll tell you, in the past few weeks, I've read enough obituaries for fringe element film folk that died in the 1910s to last a lifetime !
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !