Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Elton John

yosemitemtb Guest

Elton John

I'm new here, so cut me some slack if this has been covered before, but one thing that really stood out as I was reading the stories on FAD is how many funerals Elton John has attended. He spends a lot of time at funeral parlors and grave yards, doesn't he?
    Last edited by yosemitemtb; 06-29-2008 at 09:41 PM. Reason: wanted to change the title

Oh no, Elton is dead????

Wow. I thought he was dead for a second as well.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

We could have a funeral for a friend.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Move to Entertainment before there's a Big Gay Funeral!!!!

Also, an ancient Sir John song came on at work today & I laughed heartily at the words, thinking if they only knew then.

Milford.Cubicle Guest
    Jesus, I'm new and the first thing I saw was 'Elton John' in the death section. I thought I'd slept through it there.

Auntie Vi Guest
    move it, bad luck, move it!

Milford.Cubicle Guest
    If Elton John dies tomorrow, I'm coming to you for next weeks lottery numbers.

cherryghost Guest
    LOL so much for cutting yosemitemtb some slack! LMFO

yosemitemtb Guest
    Sorry about that, I changed the title. Seems obvious now to me that I posted that in the wrong forum. Doh!

I tried to change the title. If a mod wants to move this or delete it, that would be fine.
    Last edited by yosemitemtb; 06-29-2008 at 09:39 PM.

Snoopy Guest
    Phew!!!!

Doesn't he change the words to "Candles in The Wind" for every funeral he attends.
    John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jaenne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by yosemitemtb View Post
    I'm new here, so cut me some slack if this has been covered before, but one thing that really stood out as I was reading the stories on FAD is how many funerals Elton John has attended. He spends a lot of time at funeral parlors and grave yards, doesn't he?
    He isn't alone. Hasn't Puff Daddy/P. Diddy/Puffy/Sean John taken the song he wrote for B.I.G. (the one that sampled "Every Breath You Take") and apply it to everyone who has died since? I remember him performing it at the concert for Diana and dedicating it to her. I found it humorous considering the lyrics he rapped....

Guest Guest
    "Doesn't he change the words to "Candles in The Wind" for every funeral he attends."

LOLOLOL! that's what I was thinking..

harlequin_clown Guest
    Goodbye Norma Jean.....

Goodbye England's Rose.....

Goodbye Meet the Press.....

Goodbye Cheap Gas Prices......

Cadence71 Guest
    Goodbye To My Waist...though I haven't seen you since '89....

mstee2u1972 Guest

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

I really like this song by Elton John...HOWEVER....
    Could someone please explain this song to me? I've listened to the lyrics more than a few times and I think I have a good idea of what its about, but I want to see if anyone who is an EJ fan could shed a light on it for me. Thanks!

RubySlippers Guest
    when i hear it i am reminded of a country boy taken to the city by perhaps a lover...the city life isn't all it is cracked up to be and elton doesn't want to be his lover's toy anymore. it isn't what he'd thought it would be.

makes me sad....makes me think of james dean. he did something similar, left a small town for bigger and better things - shacking up with a rich male lover who could give him opportunities and material things in exchange of a companion. arm candy.

When are you gonna come down
    When are you going to land
    I should have stayed on the farm
    I should have listened to my old man

You know you can't hold me forever
    I didn't sign up with you
    I'm not a present for your friends to open
    This boy's too young to be singing the blues

So goodbye yellow brick road
    Where the dogs of society howl
    You can't plant me in your penthouse
    I'm going back to my plough

Back to the howling old owl in the woods
    Hunting the horny back toad
    Oh I've finally decided my future lies
    Beyond the yellow brick road

What do you think you'll do then
    I bet that'll shoot down your plane
    It'll take you a couple of vodka and tonics
    To set you on your feet again

Maybe you'll get a replacement
    There's plenty like me to be found
    Mongrels who ain't got a penny
    Sniffing for tidbits like you on the ground

Quote Originally Posted by RubySlippers View Post
    I'm not a present for your friends to open
    This boy's too young to be singing the blues
    I feel that line explains the song.

MorbidMolly Guest
    I think the lyrics explain themselves....for me anyway....the combo of Taupin/John express songs in a way that are seldom done today....with beauty, style, and a way of expressing life that is shear poetry....depending on where you are in your life, the lyrics will mean different things at different times.....sorry if I didn`t help, but for me this combination only comes around once in a lifetime.....the way they rearrange words to say things people have been trying to say in songs and poetry for ages, is pure genius for me.....and pure magic

crazedfemale Guest
    Great album, I have an original I bought as a young teen in the mid 1970's. My little sister thought it was about The Wizard of Oz.

It's about a kept boy by an older, rich Gay man that just tosses him to the side when he's done with him, after promising him the world.

mstee2u1972 Guest
    when i hear it i am reminded of a country boy taken to the city by perhaps a lover...the city life isn't all it is cracked up to be and elton doesn't want to be his lover's toy anymore. it isn't what he'd thought it would be.

Thank you Ruby, you've hit the nail dead on the head! This is what I've believed the song to be about. I imagined him to be a naive, poor country boy going to seek his fortune in the big city, only to get "turned out" by an older male lover and find out all that glitters isn't gold. I think the lover tried to pass the young boy toy around his group of friends when he got bored of his company, yet didn't want to turn him out in the street, so that's how he earned his keep. I think he got "pimped out", so to speak. Maybe I'm reading waaay too much into this song, but this is the picture I get in my head when I hear it. It seems like such a sad and seamy tale, but it probably happens all of the time.

mstee2u1972 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MorbidMolly View Post
    I think the lyrics explain themselves....for me anyway....the combo of Taupin/John express songs in a way that are seldom done today....with beauty, style, and a way of expressing life that is shear poetry....depending on where you are in your life, the lyrics will mean different things at different times.....sorry if I didn`t help, but for me this combination only comes around once in a lifetime.....the way they rearrange words to say things people have been trying to say in songs and poetry for ages, is pure genius for me.....and pure magic
    So true. I really like a lot of his songs, but I am ashamed to say I only have one cd "The Bitch Is Back". For some reason I purchased a greatest hits cassette some years ago and actually found it and started listening to it again lately. I think I bought it at the time because of the song "Bennie and the Jets". Elton actually played the same music on a Mary J. Blige song called "Deep Inside", so I was curious to hear the original. I also like "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me."

RubySlippers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mstee2u1972 View Post

Thank you Ruby, you've hit the nail dead on the head! This is what I've believed the song to be about. I imagined him to be a naive, poor country boy going to seek his fortune in the big city, only to get "turned out" by an older male lover and find out all that glitters isn't gold. I think the lover tried to pass the young boy toy around his group of friends when he got bored of his company, yet didn't want to turn him out in the street, so that's how he earned his keep. I think he got "pimped out", so to speak. Maybe I'm reading waaay too much into this song, but this is the picture I get in my head when I hear it. It seems like such a sad and seamy tale, but it probably happens all of the time.

It happened to James Dean...even back in the day.

kimba Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    It's about a kept boy by an older, rich Gay man that just tosses him to the side when he's done with him, after promising him the world.
    I've always thought this, except I felt it was a rich cougar who was looking for the young male stud to prop up her flagging sense of beauty and self worth...He was a personal project,until she found another, and then tossed him aside...

ie: the old Mad TV Pool Boy sketch...
    Cabana Chat
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opM49V9Fa6Q

or elements of Midnight Cowboy...
    Last edited by kimba; 11-03-2008 at 07:56 PM.

27. 11-03-2008, 07:52 PM

fultondyke Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kimba View Post
    I've always thought this, except I felt it was a rich cougar who was looking for the young male stud to prop up her flagging sense of beauty and self worth...He was a personal project,until she found another, and then tossed him aside...

ie: the old Mad TV Pool Boy sketch...
    Yeah, I think this is right...remember that Bernie Taupin (a straight guy who was born and raised in a rural part of England) writes the lyrics. Elton has always been my favorite artist, and I've been a devoted fan for about 35 years now ( I recieved his Greatest Hits album for Christmas when I was 10 years old, and I've been listening and collecting ever since)!

Yes this is a great song ( as I think all the album is)
    But Bernie Taupin wrote the lyrics to the song
    and Elton wrote the music.
    Bernie has said words come up in his head fast
    and Elton puts them into music so who knows.

Chevyheaven Guest
    "Goodbye yellow brick road" found Bernie plundering imagery from the first film he had ever seen: the 1939 movie The Wizard of Oz. In the film, Elton as Dorothy has been transported by a tornado from London to Munchkinland. She has to follow the yellow brick road to the Emerald City, where she will find the wizard who she must ask to help her get home.

In the case of Bernie, the yellow brick road led him from his country village, Lincolnshire, to the big city, London. London represented the Emerald City: the road of excess, the superficial world he and Elton lived, with outrageous costumes and trademark spectacles. "When are you going to land?" it's a way to advertise Elton from this unreal situation. Bernie feels disappointed: "I'm not a present for your friends to open". The line "You know you can't hold me forever" is his answer. "There's plenty like me to be found", his solution. Like saying: find another and let me escape from this!

His dream, though, is to return to country complicity and to the simple ways of his rural upbringing: "I'm going back to my plough. Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad". If Elton didn't agree the idea, Bernie will "take you a couple of vodka and tonics to set you on your feet again".

Brilliant album.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

I drove from Keesler AFB in Biloxi, MS. to Mobile, AL. to see EJ when he was touring this album. I think it was around the mid 70's. Good concert.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

John Connor Guest
    The price you pay for prostitution. Small town gigolo becomes disillusioned with the fast lane and goes home to the farm.

Quote Originally Posted by Fool Moon View Post
    I feel that line explains the song.
    Now I really feel foolish. All these years, I honestly though the line was, "I should have listened to my Aunt Em." Seriously!

RubySlippers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanwench View Post
    Now I really feel foolish. All these years, I honestly though the line was, "I should have listened to my Aunt Em." Seriously!
    LOL...Really?
    You are so cute.

kimba Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevyheaven View Post
    "Goodbye yellow brick road" found Bernie plundering imagery from the first film he had ever seen: the 1939 movie The Wizard of Oz. In the film, Elton as Dorothy has been transported by a tornado from London to Munchkinland. She has to follow the yellow brick road to the Emerald City, where she will find the wizard who she must ask to help her get home.

In the case of Bernie, the yellow brick road led him from his country village, Lincolnshire, to the big city, London. London represented the Emerald City: the road of excess, the superficial world he and Elton lived, with outrageous costumes and trademark spectacles. "When are you going to land?" it's a way to advertise Elton from this unreal situation. Bernie feels disappointed: "I'm not a present for your friends to open". The line "You know you can't hold me forever" is his answer. "There's plenty like me to be found", his solution. Like saying: find another and let me escape from this!

His dream, though, is to return to country complicity and to the simple ways of his rural upbringing: "I'm going back to my plough. Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad". If Elton didn't agree the idea, Bernie will "take you a couple of vodka and tonics to set you on your feet again".
    I see where you're going with this, but wasn't this prior to Elton's diva period? I think that came later- in the 80's . This album is from early in his career, 1973 - before things got out of control with Elton's drug use etc.
    I think it is much more likely that this is not based on EJ and Bernie's relationship- but from a story..the tarnished dreams of someone who is taken advantage of. Most of Bernie's songs from this period are not strictly autobiographical..with the possible exception of Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding.All the other songs on the album were story telling..about topics as varied as Marilyn Monroe, derelicts,Roy Rogers...etc. I believe it was the album Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy that mined their combined and separate personal lives.
    In fact- in the eighties, Bernie left Elton because of his difficult diva ways- and actually penned songs with Alice Cooper. ( The Lace and Whisky album I believe...)I just checked - it is actually his 1978 album From The Inside, an album dealing with his experiece in an asylum.
    I believe this song is simply another example of story telling from Bernie, before he really started getting personal with his lyrics.
    Last edited by kimba; 11-04-2008 at 01:34 AM.

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    Elton and Bernie were sheer genius together...Absolute ear candy...

oh boy

Quote Originally Posted by MorbidMolly View Post
    Oh that sooooo sums up Elton's lyrics for me. What an artist! I remember the first time I heard Candle in the Wind I had tears in my eyes. Not just for Marilyn and the tribute to her, but for all the other Marilyns ... the Elvis - James Dean - Montgomery Cliffs - all of them ... but for me him choosing Marilyn to specifically point to her ... I was so moved. I would have liked to have known you ... but I was just a kid ... christ how many of those old time stars have you thought that about? Well spoken!
    I cried for shoes .... til I met a man with no feet.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

kimba Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by howDIDyouBUYit? View Post
    Elton and Bernie were sheer genius together...Absolute ear candy...
    Oh yeah- first album I got was Honky Chateau..and it was looooove for their music after that.

Rock of the Westies was a great album too. My parents got me that one when I was a kid. "Yell Help", "A bullet in the Gun of Robert Ford", and the others. Great stuff.

kimba Guest
    I LOVED Rock of the Westies...
    Yeah- I got them all (LP's) when they first came out, except..after Blue Moves, I kinda fell out of love with Elton a little... and of course I had to collect Empty Sky, Elton John, 11-17-70, Tumbleweed Connection and Madman Across the Water...
    I was a BIG fan...
    most traumatic story of my childhood: I was a big Elton Fan...I had posters all over my room, I listened to him incessantly.
    My Mom met him at a restaurant ( It was one I worked at ironically, I was off that day) and when she came home she told me the story of how he had asked her to sit down with them...and then she got an autograph...(on the back of a cheque)
    for my niece and nephew!!!(5 and 6.5 years younger than me)
    That autograph was pinned to a bulletin board in my nephew's room FOR YEARS. And everytime I saw it...I would think that it should have been MINE!!!
    I still fume over that...
    Last edited by kimba; 11-04-2008 at 04:40 AM.

cherryghost Guest
    Great Album.

I always like to think that Bernie writes in Metaphor!

The first Album I ever bought was "Dont Shoot me Im only the Piano Player" God I loved that Album! Still do!

kimba Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post

The first Album I ever bought was "Dont Shoot me Im only the Piano Player" God I loved that Album! Still do!
    Oh man..I forgot that one! Daniel's on that one..great album...

Snoopy Guest
    Love the album! and the song..I never quite figured it out to be honest..Yellow Brick Road,Empty Sky and Captain Fantastic are my favorites of his.

cherryghost Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kimba View Post
    Oh man..I forgot that one! Daniel's on that one..great album...
    "Teacher ("I need you") was on that one too! I think I know what that song was about!

Good song. This and "Rocketman".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

fultondyke Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
    "Teacher ("I need you") was on that one too! I think I know what that song was about!
    I love High Flying Bird and Blues for Baby and Me on this one! The exquisite piano version of Skyline Pigeon is included as an extra on the cd also.

Elton John too old, too gay to adopt an HIV positive child.

This is sad someone who could give a child from the Ukraine
    orphange a better life but can't.
    Last edited by theotherlondon; 09-15-2009 at 01:15 PM.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

lab_rat Guest
    It's really sad.

RubySlippers Guest
    he is also too old. that is the other rule they have. you cannot be older than 45 to adopt in the Ukraine. so even if he was straight, he wouldn't be able to because he is 62.

Jack'sGirl Guest
    And here I thought it was just because he was so bitchy.

Seriously, though, I get the age, but in a situation where the kid is HIV +, would't it be better to let the child be adopted out, despite the age of the potential parents? Sad as it is, a child with that kind of health problems has a high chance of not being adopted. This might be his/her only chance.

Besides that, he's Elton Freakin' John. I'd think that, even though he's older, he'd make darned sure the child was provided for, regardless.

Does anyone know how old his huband is? I thought Furnish was younger, but don't quote me on that. Would they be able to get the child in that case?