Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anne Bancroft

Anne Bancroft

It was such a shock when I heard about the passing of Anne Bancroft in June of 2005. Had she been ill for a long time? What a great actress; Garbo Talks was one of her best.

Laurie Guest
    She was awesome. One of the all-time greats.

There are at least two tributes to Anne in the movie The Producers.

When Max goes on his spinster money drive, he enters an elevator and one of the listed names is A. Bancroft.

At the end, when the camera pans back showing all the different Bialystock/Bloom productions, one of the marquees spells out ANNE.

Nice touch, Mel.

firegilnotguns Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Fool Moon View Post
    There are at least two tributes to Anne in the movie The Producers.

When Max goes on his spinster money drive, he enters an elevator and one of the listed names is A. Bancroft.

At the end, when the camera pans back showing all the different Bialystock/Bloom productions, one of the marquees spells out ANNE.

Nice touch, Mel.
    I didn't notice that - that's really sweet. I'll have to see that again. I always thought Mel and Anne must have had such a great relationship.

HippieMama Guest
    I just adored her . . . I think she died of cancer of the uterus. My favorite movie was To Be or Not to Be, with Mel Brooks (her hubby). Of course, The Graduate is a classic too!

dr2red Guest

Classy talented woman

She was a marvelous actress, she did some great work.

Sylkyn Guest
    I read an article not too long ago about how grieved Mel was over her death. He was simply out of it. She was a fabulous actress and major talent. Not too many of her ilk left, unfortunately.

She was fabulous in Torch Song Trilogy, too. Let's not forget The Miracle Worker as well!

Danse Macabre Guest
    Fabulous actress! One of my favorites too.

R.I.P.

BeeCee Guest
    [SIZE=3]She was great in anything she ever did. I loved it in Garbo Talks when she's in the hospital and starts moaning (her son thinks she's in pain) and she actually ends up saying something like...Ahhhhh, I want an eclair! She was also very funny at times.[/SIZE]

candleinthewind Guest
    Of course she was funny. She married Mel Brooks. I'll bet they had fun dinner parties.

Laura1020 Guest
    I remember being so surprised that she was married to Mel Brooks. Then I saw the two of them together. I saw how much in love they were with eachother. What a nice thing to see. She was wonderful as the Mother Superior in "Agnes of God". Too bad Jane Fonda ruined that movie. Also, did you guys know she was originally supposed to play Joan Crawford in "Mommie Dearest"? I can't remember why she dropped out and Faye Dunaway took the role.

poppie Guest
    Coleen Dewhurst and Anne Bancroft - These two wonderful women, great actresses, left a large void in the movie business upon their deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by candleinthewind View Post
    Of course she was funny. She married Mel Brooks. I'll bet they had fun dinner parties.
    Interesting that you would say that. A very close friend of mine went to a wedding (their niece had married someone in the movie business) and had the pleasure of being seated at the same dinner table as Mel and Anne at the reception (they were somehow related to the groom). My friend said they were an absolutely delightful couple, very down to earth and absolutely hilarious.

Yes, Mel was and is still over the moon about Anne. When I heard that she passed away, my heart broke for Mel. One of the few great Hollywood marriages. FYI -- Mel's Jewish and Anne was Roman Catholic.
    Any day above ground is a good day.

xenaswolf Guest
    Don't forget 84 Charing Cross Road...she was perfect in that part!

Morbid1 Guest
    I loved all her movies.in the 90's she did a great movie "Malice" here
    is some info on it. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107497/ With Alec
    Baldwin,Nicole Kidman.Anne had such a fantastic acting ability,diverse
    characters and very funny roles,with Dom Delouse in "Fatso" another
    hilarious movie that you guys should check out some time.

Such a sad loss...and she wasn't that old.

-Morbid1

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura1020 View Post
    I remember being so surprised that she was married to Mel Brooks. Then I saw the two of them together. I saw how much in love they were with eachother. What a nice thing to see. She was wonderful as the Mother Superior in "Agnes of God". Too bad Jane Fonda ruined that movie. Also, did you guys know she was originally supposed to play Joan Crawford in "Mommie Dearest"? I can't remember why she dropped out and Faye Dunaway took the role.
    Anne thought the Mommie Dearest script was a mess and had reservations about pasting a legend. Good intuition on her part, she was right on both counts. I can't imagine Anne bellowing out some of those lines, though.

She was a truly great actress, so many memorable roles and films.

mommafreak Guest
    I loved the Miracle Worker and The Graduate. Anne is sorely missed. Of course i'm a Mel fan, have most of his movies.... Love High Anxiety....., therefore loved Anne. What a marriage.

I just saw Prisoner of 2nd Avenue the other day. It was Anne and Jack Lemmon. Kind of a sleeper, but great acting!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

RoRo Guest
    She was a huge talent and is missed!

Cemetry Gates Guest
    I saw her in a cameo on The Producers, I think it was. She did a little scene with Mel in a bar, so cute! She had a great sense of humor, remember her in Dracula: Dead and Loving It as the Gypsy woman? Hilarious!

She does a really great job in a poignant movie called 84 Charing Cross Road, with Anthony Hopkins. I feel like the real her comes out a lot in this movie.

Jaynrand Guest
    Anne never let an audience down....

A couple of early appearances that I love:

Don't Bother to Knock
    Gorilla At Large
    The Girl in Black Stockings

She is so beautiful. And I loved reading Patty Duke's memories of working with her on THE MIRACLE WORKER, stage and film. When Anne left and Suzanne Pleshette took over for her onstage, Patty hated it and made Suzanne's life miserable.

Also love the story about a man who put his hat on the edge of the stage, and during the show, Anne stepped downstage to do one of her scenes and stepped on the hat and smashed it flat!

Rugger57 Guest

Anne Bancroft

Was she not in a 60's movie called (get ready.....)

"The Affect of Gamma Rays On the Man In The Moon Marigolds"???

I have seen this years ago and I thought to myself, "What a unique movie!"

Rudy's Girl Guest
    I love Anne, she was so great in all of her roles. Even in a more simple role such as Mrs. Kendall in the Elephant Man. The look in her eyes of total compassion for John Merrick was so very deep. When she kissed him on the cheek and said, "Oh Mr. Merrick, you're not the elephant man, "......"You're Romeo". It brought a tear to my eye....

Noelle Page Guest
    Anne as Joan Crawford? Hmmmm.....coulda been interesting, but good thing she didn't sully her career.

And whatever happened to HippieMama?

lisalouver Guest
    Am I the only one who loved her in GI Jane? I mean the movie was shitty, but she was really good in there as the Senator?

I loved it when she told Demi Moore "You did'nt really want that life, squat-pissing in some third world country with men looking up your behind!"

She was great in it.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugger57 View Post
    Was she not in a 60's movie called (get ready.....)

"The Affect of Gamma Rays On the Man In The Moon Marigolds"???

I have seen this years ago and I thought to myself, "What a unique movie!"
    Nope, that was 1972 and it was Joanne Woodward...she was great in it.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    I just saw Prisoner of 2nd Avenue the other day. It was Anne and Jack Lemmon. Kind of a sleeper, but great acting!
    I love that movie. I feel exactly like Jack Lemmon at this point in my life...which is NOT a good thing!!! I actually found myself out on my balcony screaming at someone on another balcony about his loud music the other day...and I instantly flashed to this movie and that character. It's come to this!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christie Prody View Post
    Anne thought the Mommie Dearest script was a mess and had reservations about pasting a legend. Good intuition on her part, she was right on both counts. I can't imagine Anne bellowing out some of those lines, though.

She was a truly great actress, so many memorable roles and films.
    It was very strange how doing MOMMIE DEAREST took an 'A' list actress like FAYE DUNAWAY and placed her several notches down the food chain. Permanently. (It was) almost like CRAWFORD had cursed the production from her grave.

KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

Noor 7ayaty Guest
    I loved her in absolutely everything she was in. I never saw her turn in a poor performance. My personal fave was The Turning Point with Shirley McClain and Barishnikov. But I also love all the others posted in this thread. Heck, even the bit part she did in "Love Potion #9" was a scene-stealer! My heart broke for Mel when she passed -- their love was and is legendary, and both have given so much joy and laughter to this world.

SueWahoo Guest
    Mel and Anne's son, Max, has written one of my favorite books: World War Z. If you love zombies, you'll love this book. I believe it's being developed into a movie, also.

Chevyheaven Guest
    She was one of the greatest actresses ever IMO. I really loved everything she was in I was crushed when she past. She was a class act no doubt!! RIP Ann!

crazedfemale Guest
    Another great actress. I met her in 1989 at Bullocks near UCLA. She was in line in front of me at the cosmetic counter. She smiled at me. She left her credit card receipt on the counter and I grabbed it...

Chevyheaven Guest
    I first saw her in this movie with Sissy Spacek about a girl who is about to commit suicide and Ann played her mother and the whole movie took place in the house. What the heck was the name of that movie. It was really good hmm..

Did you frame that reciept and hang it up? I would have. Thats so cool.

undertaker Guest
    She was only six years older then Dustin Hoffman when they made the graduate.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevyheaven View Post
    I first saw her in this movie with Sissy Spacek about a girl who is about to commit suicide and Ann played her mother and the whole movie took place in the house. What the heck was the name of that movie. It was really good hmm..
    "'night, Mother"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51NYS1YH64L._SL500_AA280_.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	5481  

dead money Guest
    I understand Mel recently sold the place where they lived in LA. Too many memories.

She was fantastic as Holly Hunter's and Robert Downey Jr.'s mother in "Home for the Holidays." It came out in 1995 (I believe) and hardly anyone I've talked to about it has seen or heard of it. It's a great movie!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    I remember, even though it was a small part, Amanda the manners trainer in Point of No Return with Bridgette Fonda. She was great.

djdeath-hag Guest
    Anne Bancroft was one of my all time favorite actresses. She rocked in "Home For the Holidays", she pissed me off in "Torch Song" and she broke my heart in "'night Mother". God bless you, Mrs. Robinson.

Garbo Talks, Fatso, and Home for the Holidays, 3 of my favorite movies!!!
    I'm laughing just thinking of Garbo Talks.

Snoopy Guest
    I always thought Anne Bancroft must have been a very cool lady..she was such a great actress..Loved her in The Graduate.

JestersKiss Guest
    [SIZE=4]Anne Bancroft, Best Actress 1962: MovieActors.com[/SIZE]
    THE MIRACLE WORKER (Biography - NR)

Anne Bancroft received her Oscar for playing the half-blind Annie Sullivan who waged a long battle to get the stubborn, blind and mute child (Patty Duke) to communicate with others.
    ANNE BANCROFT (1931 - 2005)

American leading actress who's real name was Anna Maria Italiano, Anne Bancroft was born on September 17, 1931 in The Bronx, New York. Staying close to home, she graduated from the American Academy of Dramatic Arts in Manhattan. Formerly married and divorced to Martin May, Ann was remarried to Mel Brooks in 1964 and remained his life partner until she lost her battle to Uterine Cancer in 2005.
    Although Anne Bancroft first started her career in television, it was only a matter of time before she moved her talent to the big screens of Hollywood and the stages of Broadway. Her cinematic debut was in 1952’s “Don’t Bother to Knock”. The fifties marked a decade of supporting roles for Bancroft until her leading debut in “The Miracle Worker” in 1962. Bancroft was nominated and won the award for Best Actress for her role in the film, as did her youthful costar, Patty Duke, who won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress.
    Blazing a trail of notable performances thereafter, Bancroft’s best work undoubtedly came in the sixties, including her nominated performances in 1964’s “The Pumpkin Eater” and 1967’s THE GRADUATE. Anne Bancroft was also nominated for her roles in 1977’s “The Turning Point” and 1985’s “Agnes of God”.
    Her trademark move is the subtle removal of her earring before answering the telephone.

Bancroft's other credits include:

The Raid
    Gorilla at Large
    A Life in the Balance
    New York Confidential (1955)
    The Girl in Black Stockings (1957)
    The Slender Thread (1965)
    7 Women (1966)
    Lipstick (1976)
    The Elephant Man (1980)
    Fatso (also directed) (1980)
    Honeymoon in Vegas (1992)
    Home for the Holidays (1995)
    Point of No Return (1993)
    How to Make an American Quilt (1995)
    G.I. Jane (1997)
    Great Expectations
    Keeping the Faith (2000)
    Heartbreakers (2001)

Anne Bancroft's television credits include:

JESUS OF NAZARETH
    MARCO POLO (Mini-Series)
    FREDDIE AND MAX (TV Series)
    BROADWAY BOUND
    MRS. CAGE
    HOMECOMING
    DEEP IN MY HEART
    HAVEN

JestersKiss Guest

[SIZE=2]Anne Bancroft in THE GRADUATE[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Anne Bancroft in[/SIZE] [SIZE=3]HEARTBREAKERS (2001) [/SIZE]

JestersKiss Guest

[SIZE=2]Anne Bancroft, with Patty Duke in THE MIRACLE WORKER[/SIZE]

JestersKiss Guest

[SIZE=2]Anne Bancroft in THE TURNING POINT (1977)[/SIZE]

ajlposh Guest
    Anne Bancroft was married to my idol Mel Brooks and she was great in the Graduate.

msmojorisin84 Guest
    Her real name was Anna Maria Louise Italiano..phewww!! My favorite movie is of course, The Graduate. There are several "made for tv" movies that are wonderful too.

there was also another film i remember, THE PUMPKIN EATERS with peter finch. excellent!!!!!!!

editorial: girls get your pap smears, and ovarian cancer tests! these are silent killers! just lost a friend to ovarian cancer!!!!!!
    pull the string!

I LOVED her in Torch Song Trilogy. I think I said that already but, it's worth repeating!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!