Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best TV Comedy?

Littleroben Guest

Best TV Comedy?

Do you want to share the funniest thing you have seen on TV? Mine has got to be in Steptoe and Son, where the old boy is having a bath in the kitchen sink eating pickled onions.

ComputerGuy Guest
    I was 8 years old and we were watching Laugh In.

Then Henry Gibson comes on and he is totally naked except for a giant neck tie covering his privates.

He then commenced "Flowers by Henry Gibson" I still remember that. I was laughing so hard I cried!!

knothere Guest
    any episode of two n a half men (the boy jake shares my son's name)
    didnt know charlie sheen was sooo fu-kin funny as he is handsome n man hees handsome

When Frasier ends up on the stage with Nanny G. Or any Seinfeld.

lucilleball861911 Guest

I Love Lucy or Seinfeld?

i read recently Seinfeld was voted #1 of best sitcoms of all time... My money however, goes to I Love Lucy. i mean It is the MOTHER of ALL sitcoms that came after it. I have seen so many things that the show contributed to television that are still relevant today. This october the show will have 60 years on the air non stop (here in Los Angeles). I Love, I Love Lucy.

Anyone agree? disagree?

ryanolivia Guest
    Lucy

aLiLdirt Guest
    I'm on the fence on this one.

To me, both programs have redeeming qualities.

I've been a victim of the giggles while viewing each of these shows.

(sighs, drums fingers, ponders)

Gotta go with Seinfeld.

Flowergrrl Guest
    I Love Lucy... Even if I could stand Seinfeld I would still pick Lucy.

Lucy. I still crack up at episodes that I have seen over and over.
    Wanna see my grandkids?

sablegsd Guest
    Neither.

Flowergrrl Guest

Hahaaa...

Carrie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sablegsd View Post
    Neither.
    Ditto

crazedfemale Guest
    The LA at Last episode of I Love Lucy where she encounters Bill Holden at the Brown Derby restaurant and later when she lights her nose on fire at the hotel. That's been my favorite episode since I was a little kid.

I also enjoy the moments on All in the Family when Edith goes on one of her talking streaks and Archie acts out trying to do himself in, whether by gun or pills. Hysterical!

Guest Guest
    Monty Python/Fawlty Towers - both timeless classics

DeadRinger Guest
    I laugh like a goon at pretty much any British comedy. Fawlty Towers, The Goodies, The IT Crowd, The Young Ones, Dad's Army, Monty Python's Flying Circus, Blackadder - all classic.

tarsier Guest
    The too short lived When Things Were rotten and/or Get Smart; Huge Mel Brooks fan here.

lucilleball861911 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tarsier View Post
    The too short lived When Things Were rotten and/or Get Smart; Huge Mel Brooks fan here.
    I also love Mel Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by lucilleball861911 View Post
    I also love Mel Brooks
    Yes, "Get Smart" was one of my favorites. Love Lucy too. Gotta love "Everyone Loves Raymond" too. My list is too long to pick one favorite.
    Cindy

KarmaKat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadRinger View Post
    I laugh like a goon at pretty much any British comedy. Fawlty Towers, The Goodies, The IT Crowd, The Young Ones, Dad's Army, Monty Python's Flying Circus, Blackadder - all classic.
    I am totally with you DeadRinger all things british are best. Just to add a couple more to your list Allo Allo, Some Mothers Do 'ave Him, 2 Pints of Lager and of course my favourite Red Dwarf.

As far as American comedy goes Hogans Heroes and Married with Children are are both great

20. 01-15-2011, 10:10 AM

Any "Curb Your Enthuasium" fans here? I Lovelove that show! I recently discovered "Two And A Half Men" as well.

Flowergrrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KarmaKat View Post
    I am totally with you DeadRinger all things british are best. Just to add a couple more to your list Allo Allo, Some Mothers Do 'ave Him, 2 Pints of Lager and of course my favourite Red Dwarf.

As far as American comedy goes Hogans Heroes and Married with Children are are both great
    Do you watch 'Keeping Up Appearances'?... With Hyacinth Bucket........... Oops, I mean 'Bouquet'. Hahahaaaa

Also, Mr. Bean is a riot!

Cat_AmmaKittehKat Guest
    I love Black Books. Blackadder also never fails to be funny, except the millenium special which was dreadful!

Almost forgot about "The Larry Sanders Show"!
    Cindy

Definitely Lucy. No doubt.
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

Gotta be Carol Burnett as "Starlett" in "Went with the Wind"

Ted Challinor Guest
    Fawlty Towers is the only show that's had me literally on the floor with laughter...my wife introduced me to Seinfeld in the late 1990s which was fortunate as I normally don't like US sit coms...it is brilliant not least because it produced so many episodes of high quality....for any of you who have never seen classic BBC jail comedy Porridge, please try it...

Bidmor Guest
    Difficult to declare only one comedy, but the two which jump to mind are the Honeymooners (w/ Audrey Meadows) and Newhart...that was his second series in which he owned a New England inn and the all time classic series finale.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Flowergrrl View Post
    Do you watch 'Keeping Up Appearances'?... With Hyacinth Bucket........... Oops, I mean 'Bouquet'. Hahahaaaa

Also, Mr. Bean is a riot!
    Got to agree with both! Hyacinth is a hoot!
    I actually enjoy re-runs of Frasier too! He quite reminds me of John Lithgow.

Reecy Guest
    I love Lucy

&

Bewitched

DeadRinger Guest
    Of course I forgot about Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em and Black Books and Porridge - all favourites in our household!

Rhonda Guest
    Arrested Development is the funniest show EVER. The End. I love Seinfled & Curb Your Enthusiasm, but they are sometimes so painful to watch because the characters are so neurotic and irritating.

jaylene Guest
    LOVE Lucy and Will & Grace.

Pryncis Guest
    I personally like Three's Company and Rosanne.

Cat_AmmaKittehKat Guest
    Oh, and I forgot about Green Wing. The Sue White character is one of my fave all time characters from any show!

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lulubaines View Post
    Any "Curb Your Enthuasium" fans here? I Lovelove that show! I recently discovered "Two And A Half Men" as well.
    We love Larry David. He may be on the coast but he is still a wonderful NY export.
    I would be hard pressed to do anything but sort them by decade.
    Enrie Kovak, Your Show of Shows, I Love Lucy, Laugh In and Carlo Burnette, May Tyler Moore ( the death of chuckles the clown), Seinfeld, Curb and Modern Family. I just love Gloria and Manny!
    regards,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Challinor View Post
    Fawlty Towers is the only show that's had me literally on the floor with laughter...my wife introduced me to Seinfeld in the late 1990s which was fortunate as I normally don't like US sit coms...it is brilliant not least because it produced so many episodes of high quality....for any of you who have never seen classic BBC jail comedy Porridge, please try it...
    I love Fawlty Towers! John Cleese just cracks me up.

Third Rock From the Sun is also amazing.

Eek! The Cat was another one of my favorites. It still makes me laugh.
    Last edited by snowblindburd; 01-16-2011 at 01:02 PM.

Vintage_Vixen Guest
    Lucy, Flip Wilson, Bewitched, Laugh In, The Smothers Brothers....and something new would have to be Big Bang Theory....those guys crack me up!!

Bidmor Guest
    Oh, forgot Married With Children. I was reminded when a woman godzilla-ed into the shoe store today.

Pat MaGroin Guest
    I Love Lucy.
    Timeless comedy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ILLSuperman001.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	29788   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ILLSuperman002.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	29789   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ILLSuperman003.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	29790   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ILLHarpo001.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	204.1 KB 
ID:	29791  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ILLHarpo.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	29792  

FannyB1923 Guest
    Funniest show I've ever seen was SCTV back in the early 80s.

Reecy Guest
    How could I forget 3's company? I loved Jack Tripper.

Ghostyhead Guest
    The first time Steve Martin did "King Tut" on SNL I never laughed so hard in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by lucilleball861911 View Post
    i read recently Seinfeld was voted #1 of best sitcoms of all time... My money however, goes to I Love Lucy. i mean It is the MOTHER of ALL sitcoms that came after it. I have seen so many things that the show contributed to television that are still relevant today. This october the show will have 60 years on the air non stop (here in Los Angeles). I Love, I Love Lucy.

Anyone agree? disagree?

I LOVE Seinfeld, but as the number one sitcom of all time? No way. My personal choice for number one (and I say this with great hesitance) sitcom of all time: All in the Family. It changed television as we saw it forever. Period.

Now, hear me out: I love Lucy (well, William Frawley and Vivian Vance anyway). I do feel that ILL definitely ranks higher than Seinfeld. I Love Lucy is definitely in the top five.

Let the games begin!

Giada Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lulubaines View Post
    Curb ... one of my favorites, especially the eps with The Blacks.

(a true anomaly for a series, non-scripted, a simple scene outline drives the interaction)

For Seinfeld fans ... the real genius behind the show was Larry David, as co-writer.

Starstruck Guest
    Of course I forgot about Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em and Black Books and Porridge - all favourites in our household!
    I agree Black Books the funniest show I have ever watched!!!!
    I put the DVD on and just let it play as I chook about in the kitchen and I
    just cackle away to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Littleroben View Post
    Do you want to share the funniest thing you have seen on TV? Mine has got to be in Steptoe and Son, where the old boy is having a bath in the kitchen sink eating pickled onions.
    Steptoe and Son was remade here in America as Sanford and Son and is considered one of our comedy classics. I have seen clips of Steptoe and Son and think it's very funny. Wilfrid Brambell, who plays the old man, was very funny as Paul McCartney's Grandfather in A Hard Days Night.
    John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Littleroben View Post
    Mine has got to be in Steptoe and Son, where the old boy is having a bath in the kitchen sink eating pickled onions.
    You dirty old man! heheheh

Fawlty Towers was pretty good as was Dad's Army and Are you being served? I also loved Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister. The list goes on.....
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

jeca Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
    Arrested Development is the funniest show EVER. The End. I love Seinfled & Curb Your Enthusiasm, but they are sometimes so painful to watch because the characters are so neurotic and irritating.
    That was most definitely one of the best shows ever put on television. It was so underrated.

Littleroben Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by John Trim View Post
    Steptoe and Son was remade here in America as Sanford and Son and is considered one of our comedy classics. I have seen clips of Steptoe and Son and think it's very funny. Wilfrid Brambell, who plays the old man, was very funny as Paul McCartney's Grandfather in A Hard Days Night.
    And I like the one where they had argued and had split the house in half, including the TV so they could both only see half the screen.

There was a good drama/doc about Steptoe and Son, have pasted in a link to part 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIWzGNg6BUQ

I didn't read all the replies but I am a really huge Odd Couple fan, Seinfeld, Monty Python and Benny Hill.
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420