Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Claudette Colbert

ST Moron Guest

Claudette Colbert

I don't know if there are any CC fans in the house, but she's well worth checking out.

I've been lucky enough to see her in Cleopatra, Midnight, and The Palm Beach Story.

I have to ask: did anyone else like those oversized pajamas she wore in Palm Beach? I thought she looked really cute in them.

Incidentally, if anyone is starting up an Ale and Quail Club, please let me know. What a great bunch of drunks.

Zeenie Guest
    I thought she was gorgeous as Cleopatra. I have the VHS, not sure if it is on DVD.

TobbeJ Guest
    I Loved her her in It happened one night, Midnight and The Palm Beach Story, she was apparently Bi-sexual and had an affair with Greta Garbo, That might just be bad gossip though.

Darrianne Guest
    Don't know much about her - except she was beautiful to me.

Jaxxx Guest
    She was also good in The Egg and I and I'll Be Seeing You. I haven't ever heard of her being bisexual.
    Last edited by Jaxxx; 10-20-2007 at 06:50 PM. Reason: didn't finish statement

TobbeJ Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxxx View Post
    She was also good in The Egg and I, I'll Be
    She was great in that too, and to all Americans Ma and Pa Kettle should be very famous names.

A friend of mine vacationed in Barbados 20 years ago. Taking a long walk on the beach, he eventually came upon an old lady who was sitting on the edge of her property. He recognized her as COLBERT and introduced himself and spoke with her for several minutes. He said that she was very pleasant, and that meeting was a highlight for him.

COLBERT never did anything for me. I didn't dislike her, but I don't go out of my way to watch her either. Can't put my finger on it, but I just don't think that we ever saw the real CLAUDETTE.

TobbeJ Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post
    A friend of mine vacationed in Barbados 20 years ago. Taking a long walk on the beach, he eventually came upon an old lady who was sitting on the edge of her property. He recognized her as COLBERT and introduced himself and spoke with her for several minutes. He said that she was very pleasant, and that meeting was a highlight for him.

COLBERT never did anything for me. I didn't dislike her, but I don't go out of my way to watch her either. Can't put my finger on it, but I just don't think that we ever saw the real CLAUDETTE.
    For a nerdy moviebuff like me, just seeing anyone of that caliber would give me an orgasm that would last for days.

HARLOWNUMBER1 Guest
    I LOVE Claudette Colbert.

I find her smile totally irresistable.

poppie Guest
    Claudette Colbert was another one of the classy ladies in Hollywood, in category with Deborah Kerr. She was an excellent comedic actress. I loved all her movies, and yes, THE EGG AND I was a funny movie with her interaction with Ma and Pa Kettle's family.

PaulLyndeFan Guest

Talking

LOVE her in THe Egg and I. Beautiful actress

dawn7245 Guest

Claudette Colbert

I just love this lady's movies.

Date of Death

30 July 1996, Speightstown, Barbados. (after a series of strokes)

Birth Name

Lily Claudette Chauchoin

Height

5' 4½" (1.64 m)

Mini Biography

One of the brightest film stars to grace the screen was born Lily Claudette Chauchoin on September 13, 1903, in Paris, Seine, France. Her banker father moved the family to the United States when she was three. As Claudette grew up, she wanted nothing more than to play to Broadway audiences (in those days, any actress or actor worth their salt went for Broadway, not Hollywood). After her formal education ended, she enrolled in the Art Students League, where she paid for her dramatic training by working in a dress shop. She made her Broadway debut in 1923 in the stage production of "The Wild Wescotts". It was during this event that she adopted the name Claudette Colbert.

When the Great Depression shut down most of the theaters, Claudette decided to make a go of it in films. Her first film was called For the Love of Mike (1927). Unfortunately, it was a box-office disaster. She wasn't real keen on the film industry, but with an extreme scarcity in theatrical roles, she had no choice but to remain. In 1929 she starred as Joyce Roamer in The Lady Lies (1929). The film was a success and later that year she had another hit entitled The Hole in the Wall (1929). In 1930 she starred opposite Fredric March in Manslaughter (1930), which was a remake of the silent version of eight years earlier. A year after that Claudette was again paired in a film with March, Honor Among Lovers (1931). It fared well at the box-office, probably only because it was the kind of film that catered to women who enjoyed magazine fiction romantic stories. In 1932 Claudette played the evil Poppeia in Jesse L. Lasky's last great work, The Sign of the Cross (1932), and once again was cast with March. Later the same year she was paired with Jimmy Durante in The Phantom President (1932). By now Claudette's name symbolized good movies and she, along with March, pulled crowds into the theaters with the acclaimed Tonight Is Ours (1933).

The next year started a little on the slow side with the release of Four Frightened People (1934), where Claudette and her co-stars were at odds with the dreaded bubonic plague onboard a ship. However, the next two films were real gems for this young actress. First up, Claudette was charming and radiant in Cecil B. DeMille's spectacular Cleopatra (1934). It wasn't one of DeMille's finest by any means, but it was a financial success and showcased Claudette as never before. However, it was as Ellie Andrews, in the now famous It Happened One Night (1934), that ensured she would be forever immortalized. Paired with Clark Gable, the madcap comedy was a mega-hit all across the country. It also resulted in Claudette being nominated for and winning the Oscar that year for Best Actress. IN 1935 she was nominated again for Private Worlds (1935), where she played Dr. Jane Everest, on the staff at a mental institution. The performance was exquisite. Films such as The Gilded Lily (1935), Drums Along the Mohawk (1939) and No Time for Love (1943) kept fans coming to the theaters and the movie moguls happy. Claudette was a sure drawing card for virtually any film she was in. In 1944 she starred as Anne Hilton in Since You Went Away (1944). Again, although she didn't win, Claudette picked up her third nomination for Best Actress.

By the late 1940s and early 1950s she was not only seen on the screen but the infant medium of television, where she appeared in a number of programs. However, her drawing power was fading somewhat as new stars replaced the older ones. In 1955 she filmed the western Texas Lady (1955) and wasn't seen on the screen again until Parrish (1961). It was her final silver screen performance. Her final appearance before the cameras was in a TV movie, The Two Mrs. Grenvilles (1987) (TV). She did, however, remain on the stage where she had returned in 1956, her first love. After a series of strokes, Claudette divided her time between New York and Barbados. On July 30, 1996, Claudette died in Speightstown, Barbados. She was 92.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

leevancleef Guest
    Great post dawn, but theres already a topic on Claudette. Check it out here
    http://www.findadeath.com/forum/show...udette+colbert

bluebear71 Guest
    She was my mom's favorite actress, my garandfather's too. Infact my mom is named after her!

Yes I remember her and Ronald Reagan were best friends.

BetteDavisEyes1986 Guest
    OMG I am a HUGE Claudette Colbert fan! She was so beautiful! It Happened One Night is amazing! I wish actresses were glamorous and talented like old Hollywood, nowadays they're just loose and coked up like that skank Lindsay Lohan lol

leevancleef Guest
    It Happened One night is one of my favorite movies. Claudette's best work imo.

Daisy'sMom Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leevancleef View Post
    It Happened One night is one of my favorite movies. Claudette's best work imo.
    I really wish we had stars like that again. I loved It Happened One Night, Clark Gable was at his best!

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    I recall some movie I saw on TV, I can't remember the name, but she played this lady who was supposedly in a concentration camp struggling to survive, only she had perfectly plucked eyebrows and a lovely coif. That's the 1950s for you!

BooMom Guest
    Are you thinking of "So Proudly we Hail"?

Colbert, Veronica Lake, Paulette Goddard, Goerge Reeves...Good Cast !!!

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    What a sparkling presence she was...though I love IHON just as everyone, I have to agree with those choosing "The Egg and I" as her best...what a perfect (and perfectly hilarious) movie!
    Also just saw CC in the original "Imitation of Life," and was very impressed...a totally different take on the character, obviously, than Lana Turner's, but still very, very entertaining...

Vintage_Vixen Guest
    She's mentioned alot in the book 'The Andy Warhol Diaries' (good ol Andy the star f*cker!) I think he was trying to write a book about her......it's been awhile since I've read it...anyway it's quite humourous, and it does mention her bisexuality (among other things) I'll see if I can find some of the passages & post them.

leevancleef Guest

CLAUDETTE AND CAROLE LOMBARD (circa 1933)

Vintage_Vixen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage_Vixen View Post
    She's mentioned alot in the book 'The Andy Warhol Diaries' (good ol Andy the star f*cker!) I think he was trying to write a book about her......it's been awhile since I've read it...anyway it's quite humourous, and it does mention her bisexuality (among other things) I'll see if I can find some of the passages & post them.

OK.....this will teach me to post before I get my facts straight (or at least re-read the darn book) it was Paulette Goddard...not Claudette Colbert that Andy Warhol was wooing to write the story of her life........sorry gang!!

She had the most striking and pretty eyes.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Noelle Page Guest
    For "All About Eve" fans (like me), here's some trivia--Claudette was originally to play Margo Channing, but hurt her back, and the part went to Bette Davis. Claudette was forever bummed about it.

Some have said it would have been interesting casting, especially as Anne Baxter kind of looked like Claudette. I can't imagine anyone but Bette in the part, though.

I watched that film for about the billionth time the other day. It's perfection.

I liked Claudette as the patrician mother in "The Two Mrs. Grenvilles"

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    I don't think Claudette could have reached the awesome depths of bitchiness that Bette could...

imogene schlogenwockle Guest
    Oh yes, there is a Claudette fan in the house. I don't think I ever saw a movie starring her that was bad.

More Cheese Please Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    I don't think Claudette could have reached the awesome depths of bitchiness that Bette could...
    Not even close!!!

I did love Claudette and Gable in "It Happened One Night"... I have never seen "The Egg and I" however... will definitely have to put it on my "to see" list.

More Cheese Please Guest

InBruges Guest
    I loved her in Cleopatra. She was so beautiful.

Sam Guest
    When I was a child watching old movies on TV I used to get Claudette Colbert and Jayne Wyman mixed up. I thought that was dumb of me until I met a man I worked with who said the same thing.
    It was only when I heard that sweet sing song voice of Claudette's that I KNEW she was the lady I really LIKED!
    My 2nd favorite movie is her 1934 version of "Imitation of Life" and I loved seeing her again in "The Two Mrs. Grenville's".

GOD! Stephen Collins makes my ass sweat!!!

Sam Guest
    It's hard to believe that the photo of her taken as Cleopatra in the early 1930's showed her nipples, but that was just around the time the sensors took over.
    By the time "Imitation of Life" came out in 1934 they had something in the title about the "NRA" the National Recovery Act.
    That's something we need today in 2009!

fultondyke Guest
    While not widely talked about, Claudette Colbert was a known bisexual to her intimates. Her affair with Marlene Dietrich is mentioned on that page and she had a long standing relationship with Verna Hull who had an adjacent house to hers in Barbados.

This is documented in many sources...

cherryghost Guest
    I saw her and Rex Harrison in a Play called "Arnt we all" in Sydney in the late 80's! Of course I knew I was seeing something that would not happen again and it was a delightful old fashioned play!

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Cherry I'm jealous! You saw her perform in person, what a fabulous memory that must be!
    I adore Claudette Colbert...she had a twinkle in her eye that was absolutely irresistible!

radiojane Guest
    I've read the Egg and I, and I really want to see the movie. I loved her in "Let's Make It Legal". She had some great comedic timing, and looked so classy.

I read when she retired she became the doyenne of the social scene in Barbados or somewhere like that. Can you imagine being a fly on the wall at one of those parties?

More Cheese Please Guest
    Claudette Colbert... #12 on AFI's Greatest Screen Actress Legends...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fkaXJ97vMM

Clip from What's My Line with Claudette and Groucho....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOmtKhwXN-Y

Sam Guest
    Can you imagine that there once was a time when movie stars couldn't reveal their actual voices for fear of being recognized?
    THAT wouldn't be the case today!

More Cheese Please Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Can you imagine that there once was a time when movie stars couldn't reveal their actual voices for fear of being recognized?
    THAT wouldn't be the case today!
    No shit!!!

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by More Cheese Please View Post
    Claudette Colbert... #12 on AFI's Greatest Screen Actress Legends...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fkaXJ97vMM

Clip from What's My Line with Claudette and Groucho....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOmtKhwXN-Y
    I just watched 'All About Eve' for the millionth time. This has probably been mentioned before, but I hadn't known prior to watching this new dvd edition of the film that Colbert was actually initially cast as Margo Channing--Zanuck was dead set on her for the role--but she seriously injured her back and had to bow out! So Zanuck went to somewhat faded go-to girl Bette (Zanuck hat-in-hand due to the fact that Bette hadn't spoken to him in nine years) who knew a great role when she saw one, putting her animosity toward Zanuck aside and snapping it up.

Funny how fate intervened and matched one of the greatest roles ever with the right actress (Davis)--it really is her signature role and it's difficult to imagine anyone but her doing it. I love Claudette but--I could be way off here--she just didn't seem to possess the innate bitchiness, cynicism and world-weariness that Bette had in spades (both on and off screen), and which this role really demanded.

Colbert, speaking years later about losing the iconic role of Margo: "I cried for days. Days? I cried for years."

But back to Claudette--her performance in The Egg and I is one of the funniest ever put on film. I LOVE that movie, it is absolutely hilarious. Another perfect pairing of actor and role.

Sam Guest
    In a way I'm glad Claudette never played Margo. I think she was wrong for the part. She was just too sweet and wholesome.
    I don't think she ever played a bitch until "Alice Grenville".

slw Guest

picture of Claudette and Carole Lombard

How on earth do I paste photos in here from other posts??? Anyway! The picture above labelled Claudette and Carole Lombard is, I believe, Claudette and Marlene Dietriech. It is in a book of Marlene that I have.

Sam Guest
    Just copy and paste....

slw Guest
    oh Thank you!! in other forums I've used you have to click one icon, insert picture then press another icon..................never thought of just cutting and pasting lol!

Graveyard Groupie Guest
    Since I'm only familar with one of her films, I have to say that I loved her in "It Happened One Night". Her and Clark Gable had some of the best on screen chemistry of any film I've ever seen. I loved the part where Clarks' character is trying to flag down a car and he get's so fed up that he thumbs his nose at one of cars going by. I also loved the outfits that Claudette wore in that movie. I'm a real fan of the movies from the 30's and 40's.

Sam Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Graveyard Groupie View Post
    Since I'm only familar with one of her films, I have to say that I loved her in "It Happened One Night". Her and Clark Gable had some of the best on screen chemistry of any film I've ever seen. I loved the part where Clarks' character is trying to flag down a car and he get's so fed up that he thumbs his nose at one of cars going by. I also loved the outfits that Claudette wore in that movie. I'm a real fan of the movies from the 30's and 40's.
    Get a copy of her 1934 version of "Imitation Of Life". I LOVE it!

Quote Originally Posted by Graveyard Groupie View Post
    One of my top ten favorite flicks.

Although I hear he had breath comparable to mustard gas, you'd never know it from their on-screen chemistry.

Lady_T_61 Guest

Re: Colbert

My late aunt had a friend who used to be her maid when she lived in the Beverly Hills area long ago, and she was a very tight-fisted person. I'd say bordering on cheap. This friend told us that if you were a maid of hers, you'd pretty much have to kill yourself and then some before she paid you a decent wage .....This friend of my aunts worked there only one year the work was so difficult back-breaking.

slw Guest
    Is this Claudette and Carole or is it Marlene (not Carole). I feel I've seen this photo before and it was Marlene

CLAUDETTE AND CAROLE LOMBARD (circa 1933)