here since.

I made the 10th anniversary of John Denver's death held in Aspen last
    October. At the campfire singalong, the man who handed the keys
    to the plane the day before his crash, did get up and speak. Supposedly
    it was the first time that he has been able to discuss it in public in
    the 10 years. He was still choked up. There was an assortment of
    other people there that spoke....some guy from Austrailia that now owns
    John's car (70's Mercury)....someone that remembered him singinig in
    the hallways of his college dorm....his fan club president etc.

The concert at the Opera Hall was full of former band members and as
    I understand John's son, Zach was backstage. I know that John's brother
    and mother attend every year. Annie has attended some of the
    celebrations. I wish she would write a book. I think most of his fans
    hoped that someday they would get back together had he lived.

His second wife was a no show and I understand she's not that welcome.
    I believe she lives in LA now. I've heard too, that their daughter has
    gone gothic, or whatever it's called now. JesseBelles site on myspace
    was taken down, but it was quite raw and not at all what you would
    have expected a child of John Denver to be. Annie's kids turned out
    great, not so sure what will be in Jessebelle's future.

Last year drew thousands to Aspen for the celebration as it was the
    10 year mark. Hopefully it will continue.

There are some sites that can be googled which show in detail John
    and Annie's home in Starwood in Aspen. If anyone is interested I
    can locate the link.

Thanks for listening.

Deathgoddess Guest
    Does anyone else think John Denver looked a little like the croc hunter Steve Irwin? For some reason that picture made me think that.

That kind of stuff scares the hell out of me. Give me serial killers and crime scene photos - but no ghosts or scary movies! I'm a wimp!

SinisterGrin Guest
    pattykad, thank you for that post! I grew up on Denver's music and was horrified when he died. I remember being home for break, standing in the dark kitchen, listening to the news on the radio. It's still hard to imagine him gone after 10 years.

Anyway, thanks again for the informative post!! I appreciate it.

pattykad Guest
    Glad someone is interested. Here is the site with photos of his home:

http://www.sweetdreamsplace.com/jdhome.html

GiantBryan Guest
    Nessa,
    I'm with ya on this. I don't watch scary movies that have ghosts and stuff like that.
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    That kind of stuff scares the hell out of me. Give me serial killers and crime scene photos - but no ghosts or scary movies! I'm a wimp!

Lucy Furr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey boy View Post
    Another weird one right here. I don't want to get too off-topic since this is supposed to be about musicians, but this site is too utterly death hag creepy not to see. Recorded conversation with a dead boy, plus lots of other recorded conversations with famous DEAD people <shudder> Get ready cuz that boy starts talkin' away when you open the page...
    Whoa...freaky! Thanks for the site, man...this is right up my alley!

The first site I saw through Darkness Radio: they did a really great interview with Mark Macy and he talks more about the John Denver picture here:
    http://www.darknessradio.com/listen

Chevyheaven Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    did anybody see the South Park where they poke fun at John's death. I didn't see it, but what I heard was in an amusement park there was a ride where a plane filled with people keeps crashing into a mountain over and over again. The ride was called "The John Denver Experience".

Ok you just aint right in da head!!

I have never seen an episode of Southpark. I heard alot of bad things about it and since I didnt let my girls watch it I never got a chance too. I will have to check it out and see what all the craziness is about.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyheaven View Post
    Ok you just aint right in da head!!

I have never seen an episode of Southpark. I heard alot of bad things about it and since I didnt let my girls watch it I never got a chance too. I will have to check it out and see what all the craziness is about.
    What??? It's good, clean, family entertainment. My Mom watches it every night. Respect her authori-TIE! and give it a look. Funny shit.

Lita Guest
    That recording of the little boy is freaky. I was just clicking on the links and was going to give them a look in a bit as I'm trying to find out about some shit going down not far from my house but the recording starts playing when you open the window.

ETA: I love all things paranormal. However, it is hard for me to take pictures of tv screens seriously. The pictures of people with "spirit" friends just seemed like the people were moving around when the picture was taken. It just seems to easy to video tape a picture of the dead person, pause the video, take a picture and then say the picture appeared during a seance or whatever. But that movie, White Noise, was based on spirits making contact through tvs and such. Apparently they even used the real recordings in the movie. I haven't seen it, which is odd for me because I love scary movies. I might have to rent it tomorrow. I'm not totally discounting this. I just have to do some more research on it before I believe it. If this is something that people can do, they better be freakin' careful. It doesn't seem much different than messing with Ouija boards and if these people are contacting the other side, if they don't know wtf they're doing, they're going to cause themselves a lot of problems.
    Last edited by Lita; 04-04-2008 at 07:06 PM.

Lucy Furr Guest
    Another weird one right here. I don't want to get too off-topic since this is supposed to be about musicians, but this site is too utterly death hag creepy not to see. Recorded conversation with a dead boy, plus lots of other recorded conversations with famous DEAD people <shudder> Get ready cuz that boy starts talkin' away when you open the page...
    I'm going through this sites recordings right now and hadn't really made up my mind yet how I felt about it. Then I got to the Valentino one and I'm honestly speechless.
    Being that no one has really heard his voice (other than his singing voice) his manner of speak chills me to the bone. What he says here and the way he says it is classic to Valentino's manner of speech, as well as certain things he says according to things I've read about him from people that have known him.

FREAKY.

interrestedintn Guest
    I love the paranormal. I happen to believe in it. I can't help it. Used to, I would've said it was horse sh*t but, I've had lots of things happen to me that just cannot be explained away. I'm a big believer in precognitive dreams. I've always heard the women in my family talk about these dreams they would have before someone died and I wasn't sure whether they were crazy or not but I have them too. I won't go into detail unless someone asks but I really, really believe that there is a life beyond this one and those who pass don't forget us. They just don't think about us all the time because time is different for them than it is us.
    I don't however believe most of the things I hear and see online. If you ever experience it, it will be subtle but you will know you've had the experience and it will make a believer of you.

hoxharding Guest

Ghost Phone

Christopher Moon has what is called a 'Ghost Phone' where supposedly he has direct connection to the dead.
    You can even get a personal appointment with him.
    www.hauntedtimes.com
    www.myspace.com/c_moon

tarsier Guest
    That sort of site scares me. A bit of a kitchen witch I believe in that stuff and get concerned about the illusion of control; there are more things on heaven and earth, Horatio. Like most as a kid I messed with an ouija; dangerous stuff making contact with that side.

interrestedintn Guest
    I want no part of anything evil but I do believe that if we only use 10% of our brains.....maybe some of us use more than that and maybe that is where people get the idea of the 6th sense.
    My grandma is a good example. She told me that she had a dream where she was digging a hole. It was very deep and she was down in it. It was raining and the water was pouring down into the hole with her making it hard to dig. My cousin Wade was sitting on the edge swinging his feet down in the hole and giggling really creepy like. She told him, "Wade get down here and help me, we're gonna need this grave." She said that it startled her awake because til' then she hadn't realized it was a grave she was digging. 3 days later, Wade who was only 14 was shot and killed when he and another boy were playing around with a shotgun.

hoxharding Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tarsier View Post
    That sort of site scares me. A bit of a kitchen witch I believe in that stuff and get concerned about the illusion of control; there are more things on heaven and earth, Horatio. Like most as a kid I messed with an ouija; dangerous stuff making contact with that side.

You are not the only one-
    Actually that site scares me alot. It might be because it is the unknown or whatever. I just don't like to mess with it and I don't want to
    meddle with the Ghost Phone either.

jimmy's One Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoddess View Post
    Does anyone else think John Denver looked a little like the croc hunter Steve Irwin? For some reason that picture made me think that.

Yes I did, .. steve and john mixed together..

I 'm A sceptic on anything that makes money from peoples encounters with their deceased love ones..

interrestedintn Guest
    Ewww it does doesn't it. That's weird.

I'm not sure about that picture, but i can say that i do believe in ghosts/spirits. i've seen many and have had many freaky/weird experiences happen in the last... i'd say 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by interrestedintn View Post
    My grandma is a good example. She told me that she had a dream where she was digging a hole. It was very deep and she was down in it. It was raining and the water was pouring down into the hole with her making it hard to dig. My cousin Wade was sitting on the edge swinging his feet down in the hole and giggling really creepy like. She told him, "Wade get down here and help me, we're gonna need this grave." She said that it startled her awake because til' then she hadn't realized it was a grave she was digging. 3 days later, Wade who was only 14 was shot and killed when he and another boy were playing around with a shotgun.
    as a child my grandmother used to have dreams of people dieing and then days later, they were dead.

my aunt has also had some nice experiences/visits by a few who have passed on. she's also had some damn scary visits too. almost evil like. not by people she knew. one time her and my uncles wedding photo flew right off of the living room wall. it didn't just fall down it literally flew across the room. i've seen plenty ghosts in her house.

there have been 4 houses where i felt something was not quite right with them. 3 of them i refuse(d) to step in. 2 of them being right down the road from me.

one room in my moms old rented house was haunted, like an angry presence. i always felt very uneasy when i walked by that room. even my brother admitted to it and he does not like this stuff.

the house my mom lives in now is visited. lots of weird stuff. my sister HATES it.

John Denver info

I just found your teriffic sight and was "dying" to let you in on a little piece of info that was left out of your John Denver page.
    If John Denver had obeyed the law he may not be dead today.
    You see Denver lost his pilots license quite a while before he took off in that home built. I believe it was for drunk flying. Denver had a taste for booze, not sure if he was a full blown alcoholic or not.
    My daughter has cancer and she gets a wish from Make-A-Wish before her 18th bithday.
    From what I hear she wants to go to California on a shopping trip and if she does I really want to go on your find a death tour.

tarsier Guest
    Did he need a license for that particular type of plane? My neighbor flies all the time with no license but it's not a "real" plane although it certainly damaged one of our barns when he came in too low for landing. The neighbor could have been drunk I try not to deal with him but in my state if it can't exceed a certain distance up it's legal to fly.

GODDESS6 Guest
    manheim steamroller's leader is from omaha & they have a studio here~
    shortly before john denver's death, he had come here to record in the studio~ he had brought his black porsche' w/ him~ my uncle don who is an omaha policeman said that iowa police pulled him over on his way back over the bridge to omaha from council bluffs, iowa & he was drunk as a skunk, but they let him go on his way~

John Denver was an alcoholic. He sought treatment a couple of times and was arrested at least once for DUI that I know of. Neither he or his family ever made an attempt to hide it.

Jersey I hope your daughter has a wonderful time fulfilling her wish, whatever that may be.
    Wanna see my grandkids?

License

Tarsier, From what I've been reading you do need to have a valid license, have the plane FAA inspected and certified before you can even fly it.
    I believe the only thing you can fly without a licence is an ultralite aircraft because you can't go fast, far, and they don't weigh that much.
    Either way you won't see me up in one.

Cathy J. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    John Denver was an alcoholic. He sought treatment a couple of times and was arrested at least once for DUI that I know of. Neither he or his family ever made an attempt to hide it.

Jersey I hope your daughter has a wonderful time fulfilling her wish, whatever that may be.
    Recently when the city of Denver, Colorado was named America's most drunken city, some of the media for some reason oddly brought up John Denver's drinking problem like there was a connection or something between the two. From what I heard John Denver even when he was in Colorado, rare did he ever go to the city that shares his last name. Maybe that a good thing considering that just about every single shopping center in Denver has a liquor store attached to it had John Denver lived in Denver, chances are he would never have been sober at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy J. View Post
    Recently when the city of Denver, Colorado was named America's most drunken city, some of the media for some reason oddly brought up John Denver's drinking problem like there was a connection or something between the two. From what I heard John Denver even when he was in Colorado, rare did he ever go to the city that shares his last name. Maybe that a good thing considering that just about every single shopping center in Denver has a liquor store attached to it had John Denver lived in Denver, chances are he would never have been sober at all.
    I'm sure you know this, but that's not his last name. He just picked it because he thought it sounded cool. He was an air force brat like me. It's Deutschendorf. And he was a Jr.

Smores Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by suzycreamcheese View Post
    I'm sure you know this, but that's not his last name. He just picked it because he thought it sounded cool. He was an air force brat like me. It's Deutschendorf. And he was a Jr.

Actually, I believe it was Randy Sparks (who put together the New Christy Minstrels) who told John that Deutschendorf would never fit on a record label and he (Sparks) made up a bunch of names of which John picked Denver, saying it was the 'least ridiculous.' From what I heard anyway. I've followed Denver since I was a child, love him!!
    This is my first post here, ya'll are weird, I like it.
    Was doing a search of Anna Nicole and wondered why the site didn't have the pic of Anna cradling Daniel (dead) in her hosp bed.... Are there some things that are simply taboo here, or that you fear being sued over?? (NOT being sarcastic, honestly just asking). Cool site, take care.

Quote Originally Posted by Smores View Post
    Actually, I believe it was Randy Sparks (who put together the New Christy Minstrels) who told John that Deutschendorf would never fit on a record label and he (Sparks) made up a bunch of names of which John picked Denver, saying it was the 'least ridiculous.' From what I heard anyway. I've followed Denver since I was a child, love him!!
    This is my first post here, ya'll are weird, I like it.
    Was doing a search of Anna Nicole and wondered why the site didn't have the pic of Anna cradling Daniel (dead) in her hosp bed.... Are there some things that are simply taboo here, or that you fear being sued over?? (NOT being sarcastic, honestly just asking). Cool site, take care.
    Welcome Smores hope you enjoy the forum

There is a picture of Anna cradling Daniel on the Anna Nicole thread just look for it and you'll find the picture it's pretty heartbreaking to look at, well it was for me anyway

Smores Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysticakasha View Post
    Welcome Smores hope you enjoy the forum

There is a picture of Anna cradling Daniel on the Anna Nicole thread just look for it and you'll find the picture it's pretty heartbreaking to look at, well it was for me anyway

Thank you very much for the welcome.
    Yeah, I have the pic, but hadn't found it here. Haven't located the ANS thread yet. I did see a pic that is supposed to be of him in his coffin on another part of this site, and have seen it many times before other places, but yanno, I'm not convinced that's Daniel.
    If that pic of Anna w/Daniel isn't the epitomy of devestation, I don't know what is. Thanks again.

NOVSTORM Guest
    This is the first i hear the John didn't have his license or he got nailed for a dui in air. Good post.

Smores Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    This is the first i hear the John didn't have his license or he got nailed for a dui in air. Good post.

I've done a TON of research on JD and today is the first I've ever read this and I do not believe he was ever drunk while flying. That's JMO from my findings.

Cathy J. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Smores View Post
    I guess that would make sense for John to change his name. Imagine how some of those disc jockies back then would pronounce "Deutschendorf" on the radio?

And the fact that with a last name like Denver and doing a song about the Rocky Mountains, well thats great from a PR angle. When people think about Colorado, the first city in their mind is Denver. Sometimes though it doesn't fit like the recent deadly tornados that struck Colorado. Most of the media outlets on the east coast made it seam those twisters destroyed Denver when actually they touched down some hour north of the city. Plus the name John Denver does have a good sound to it unlike say "John Boulder" or "John Fort Collins" LOL

One almost forgotten item about John Denver. In 1985 the state of West Virginia had some serious floods. People lost their homes, livestock and even in a few cases their lives. The state of West Virginia bought time on every television and radio station in the state to air a benefit to raise funds for the victims. Even on the public and religious stations !!! The only celebrity the state managed to get..John Denver !! And when he sang "Take me Home Country Roads" to the audience of West Virginia, there was not a dry eye anywhere. Not even John Denver's. !!!

It is a crying shame this isn't on You Tube. sorry for the pun there.
    Last edited by Cathy J.; 06-09-2008 at 01:08 PM.

Mamma Guest
    I guess this is as good a thread to bring it up as any, but does anyone remember that absolute TEAR JERKER of a film called 'Sunshine', made way back in early 70's? It's about a young mother (real name Jacquelyn Helton) diagnosed with cancer, and she wouldn't live to see her daughter (nik-named Sunshine) grow up. So she puts all of her thoughts on tape recording at the request of her hospital. Pretty sad film.

Well, friends and family of this lady say that John Denver stole the song 'Sunshine on my shoulders" from her writings. She had many poems on paper and recording, but some fool kid stole those even. The incident got some publicity in Colorado after the kid stole her words, and John Denver was one of the celebrities to come to her aid. I spoke with a friend of hers (via email) and he confirms that knowing Jacquelyn Helton personally, Denver's lyrics to SOMS came as a direct result of her writings. Adding insult to injury, the movie made about her had names changed and such, so Hollywood took artistic liberties and changed parts around for a more dramatic effect. In particular, the movie shows her husband and daughter riding away from the hospital on a motorcycle because they couldn't watch her die. In reality, her husband never left her side. And he never owned a motorcycle either.

Hollywood .

35. 06-09-2008, 09:18 PM

Boopassing Guest
    My friend Lori was deeply into John. She wrote him a fan letter in the late 70's and the man wrote her back, hand written, too. I believe he was a decent enough fellow.

37. 06-10-2008, 12:44 AM

Guest Guest
    I have John Denver's greatest hits..... my sister asked me what I wanted from the "music box" and that's what I told her.... she thought I was joking..... I played it so much and now it's scratched .... Annie's song is my all time favorite.. I have it in my funeral planning to play it, me and my hubby did karaoke once to Leaving on a Jet plane and my little boys love sunshine on my shoulders..... his voice could calm a storm

Boopassing Guest

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by siameseman View Post
    Wow, he actually wrote back to her personally? That shows a lot of character. I think John Denver is one cool guy. Not only was he a great musican but was also suppose to be an excellent pilot who could fly almost anything. .
    Yes he really did! She compared the signature on the paper to one on a poster and they were nearly identical. I didn't know he was an environmentalist. That is very cool. I think he had a lot more to contribute to the world of song writing and it's a shame his life got cut so short.

Boopassing Guest
    PS. I like your cat. Siamese cats are some of the most beautiful in the world.

Cathy J. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamma View Post
    I guess this is as good a thread to bring it up as any, but does anyone remember that absolute TEAR JERKER of a film called 'Sunshine', made way back in early 70's? It's about a young mother (real name Jacquelyn Helton) diagnosed with cancer, and she wouldn't live to see her daughter (nik-named Sunshine) grow up. So she puts all of her thoughts on tape recording at the request of her hospital. Pretty sad film.

Well, friends and family of this lady say that John Denver stole the song 'Sunshine on my shoulders" from her writings. She had many poems on paper and recording, but some fool kid stole those even. The incident got some publicity in Colorado after the kid stole her words, and John Denver was one of the celebrities to come to her aid. I spoke with a friend of hers (via email) and he confirms that knowing Jacquelyn Helton personally, Denver's lyrics to SOMS came as a direct result of her writings. Adding insult to injury, the movie made about her had names changed and such, so Hollywood took artistic liberties and changed parts around for a more dramatic effect. In particular, the movie shows her husband and daughter riding away from the hospital on a motorcycle because they couldn't watch her die. In reality, her husband never left her side. And he never owned a motorcycle either.

Hollywood .
    There were actually TWO projects named "Sunshine". The 1973 TV Movie and a 1975 TV show. Both were about the "Hayden" family and I am pretty sure there was a John Denver connection to both. I barely remember the movie but I seem to remember reading in some TV trivia book where the TV series used the John Denver song as its theme. Interesting for a "tear jerker", the TV series Sunshine was listed as a COMEDY-drama.

lisalouver Guest
    John met his first wife Annie (Annie's song) here in Minnesota when he played at the college she attended Gustavus Adolphus in St Peter, Mn.

After John was divorced from Cassandra, John and Annie resumed their friendship and there were rumours that they were going to get back together. I believe this was shortly before his death.

His voice really was something. Everytime I hear Rocky Mountain High or Annie's Song, I almost tear up.

KK Bay Guest
    I dunno...the "boy" sounds too much like a woman trying to sound like a little boy. And a little boy using the word "perspective" in normal conversation is possible but unlikely, imho.

Maybe he has continued his schooling "on the other side."

pattykad Guest
    I really hate that this thread is about John AND ghosts. I think the guy
    deserves a thread just about him. I am a pretty big fan and I think
    his lesser known, more recent songs were the best. I love that he
    wrote songs about THINGS....trees, birds, horses, the sky, people.
    He was ahead of his time in trying to save the environment and he
    also was peace activist. He would be leading the march here in
    St Paul in September if he were alive. I miss him and and the world
    needs someone like him.

And musically, he was a helluva songwriter and a good guitarist, but
    his voice really got better with age. I'm pissed at him for flying
    and cheating us out of the great music that could have come.

pattykad Guest
    Here, by the way is John's last song, never recorded on cd.
    It would have been such a beauty.

Yellowstone starts about 1 minute in

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OkIH7yyoc...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Mamma View Post

Hollywood .
    There's actually a rumor going around that "Sunshine" was written based on John Denver being a sniper in the army and how he would take aim at his targets when the sun was in thier face and couldn't see him from his perch - sunshine on his shoulders.

That was disputed tho, since he never served...

Guest Guest
    I love Sunshine ..... it's so pretty and calming

Historia Guest
    Here is footage of John's last public performance.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=YHIoNwXFiic&feature=related

pattykad Guest
    That's pretty cool. (sigh) I will never forgive myself for not
    seeing him in concert.

There's some very grainy concert videos on youtube of a Denver
    concert at Red Rocks, interspersed with shots of John and Annie
    and friends in the mountains in the 70's . Oh to be young,
    beautiful and living in Aspen back then. (and apparently
    stoned too)

Boopassing Guest
    Love the links. Thanks to all who posted them.

Layla331 Guest
    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN

site with pics of his kids ..women etc.thought it was kinda neat