Thread: Busby Berkeley

Busby Berkeley

Once again, I didn't see a thread on him when I did a search so, here it is...
    Yes, he was an originator but also a tyrant (from all that's been said about him). I believe it was Ann Miller that said he could have achieved the same effect with a kaliadescope (sp)...
    What are your thoughts?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

Heavenly Tiger Guest

kandykisses Guest
    I love his musicals. Didn't he do Footlight Parade where James Cagney sings Shanghi Lil. I love that number. When I see the women in those musicals-so many and you know they all wanted to be stars and most didn't make it. I can't help but wonder what happened to them? Is there a future famous face in the chorus and the camera pans?

Busby

Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    Once again, I didn't see a thread on him when I did a search so, here it is...
    Yes, he was an originator but also a tyrant (from all that's been said about him). I believe it was Ann Miller that said he could have achieved the same effect with a kaliadescope (sp)...
    What are your thoughts?
    Apparently he also had quite the alcohol problem and a mommy fixation.
    I think what achieved was marvelous, but after 4 or 5 of the numbers, well....one trick pony, ya know?

That's a good point, Kandy. I don't know, but I don't doubt it.
    Yes, he was a one trick pony and worst off....he made Judy cry!

RaRaRamona Guest
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busby_Berkeley

I read his wiki b/c I remember the Muppets did something like one of his numbers & sure enough, it was based on his work. So funny I made that connection! I don't know why that stuck with me.

kandykisses Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busby_Berkeley

I read his wiki b/c I remember the Muppets did something like one of his numbers & sure enough, it was based on his work. So funny I made that connection! I don't know why that stuck with me.
    Thank God for the Muppets eh?

kandykisses Guest
    That's a good point, Kandy. I don't know, but I don't doubt it.
    Yes, he was a one trick pony and worst off....he made Judy cry!
    Didn't a lot of people make Judy cry? I heard Clark Gable made her cry because every year when she was young they drug her out to sing you mad me love you at the studio. Around the 3rd year Gable was tired of it and made a remark like not you again or something rude and left.

Probably so...she was a sensitive gal. I've heard that Busby was a prick though from many sources and not that many people mourned his death. Just like Louis B Mayer; they came to his funeral just to make sure he was dead!

kandykisses Guest
    Probably so...she was a sensitive gal. I've heard that Busby was a prick though from many sources and not that many people mourned his death. Just like Louis B Mayer; they came to his funeral just to make sure he was dead!
    She was also picked on an mistreated. It was terrible how they called her fat. She wasn't. She was just an Athletic build. She didn't have the indented waist of the day because she didn't have big hips. She'd be more appreciated today for her looks than back then. She wasn't cookie cutter pretty. But she was preety in her own right.

That's right. I am always attracted to the non traditional "pretty" girls. Everybody has something that's sexy. IMO, anyway.

Judy was short, and that didn't help her look as thin as they wanted her to. Wasn't her fault. Why in the hell didn't they accept her for her great voice and acting? And I don't think she was pretty at all--she was beautiful to me.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

That's right! I'm watching Summer Stock and she's radiant in it! "Get Happy", indeed!

unihikid Guest
    his mansion is still standing,its in the ghetto though which is kinda rad lol,its on adams bl between 6th ave and arlington in los angeles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgaPsF6ZFe4

He choreographed Mary Pickford's only "musical". It's pretty funny!

Meant to add that the woman dancing in the showgirl outfit is Margaret Livingston - who was Thomas Ince's mistress and onboard the Oneida when he was killed.....

Tebssis Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
    his mansion is still standing,its in the ghetto though which is kinda rad lol,its on adams bl between 6th ave and arlington in los angeles.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaBlair View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgaPsF6ZFe4

He choreographed Mary Pickford's only "musical". It's pretty funny!

Meant to add that the woman dancing in the showgirl outfit is Margaret Livingston - who was Thomas Ince's mistress and onboard the Oneida when he was killed.....
    I love learning interesting tidbits like this. Makes me wonder who's living in BBs house now AND what Margaret knew about Ince's death! Wouldn't you love to have been a fly on the wall on that yacht?

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Well once again I'm forced to ignore the possibility that the man was, shall we say, not nice? His films (most of them, not all) are pure magic and joy...

A DVD boxed set was released a couple of years ago (Volume 1), Volume 2 is being released on 9/16/08. I'm there.

http://www.amazon.com/Berkeley-Colle...0676694&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Berkeley-Colle...0676694&sr=8-2

The car accident in which three people were killed is because
    Busby Berkley was driving on the wrong side of the Highway
    but fell asleep because of nervous exhaustion said at the time
    his famous Hollywood lawyer Jerry Geisler.
    He was found not guilty after a third trial.

From the book: Hollywood Babylon 2 (Kenneth Anger)

GoldwynGal Guest
    Good old get em off Geisler did it again.

I'm not surprised he was a prick. Most of them geniuses are.

Quote Originally Posted by Tebssis View Post
    I love learning interesting tidbits like this. Makes me wonder who's living in BBs house now AND what Margaret knew about Ince's death! Wouldn't you love to have been a fly on the wall on that yacht?
    Wouldn't ya just?

I found a current pic and some info on the old Busby Berkeley house:

The imposing Beaux Arts - Italian Renaissance Revival structure is one of the best remaining examples of this street's many lost mansions. Its original owner, Secundo Guasti, was a poor Italian immigrant who became California Wine Commissioner and owner of the world's largest vineyard of the period. In 1910 he hired prominent architects Hudson & Munsell to build his house. Then, in 1936, he sold it to Busby Berkeley. The Hollywood director hosted many legendary parties at the villa, creating an atmosphere of lavishness, reminiscent of his films. Declared: 1/30/90

Taken from here: http://www.laokay.com/BeauxArts.htm

burgtwngrl Guest
    he really does sound like he was a tyrant. Never knew that before

Guest Guest
    By all reports a very strange man, but very talented. Always a joy to watch the camera going between dancing ladies legs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oru2mqUN444
    Busby Berkeley - Going Through the Roof