Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brian Douglas Wells and the Pizza Bomber Case

wonders if this where the movie 30 mins or less got it's idea for a script

So sad! I wish the police officers had the key to open it; there a show on Netflix I was watching & there is a woman, passed away in prison, who had to do with it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

reminds me of an episode of was it NCIS, Bones? Where this happened.

Casefile, an Australian podcast about true crime, recently did an episode on this case. A few things:

Brian Wells was in on the planning of this. But he was told that the bomb would be a dummy and would not explode. I assume he figured that was a lie before he died. He did try to get out of it before they went through with it, but the gang pulled a gun on him and he was scared and continued along with it. He did it to get money to pay off a drug debt. Another guy he worked with died of a suspicious overdose that was supplied to him by someone in the gang. He was reportedly feeling guilty because he was the one who got Mr. Wells into this whole mess.

Yes, they did have to cut off his head, but there were a couple of things going on with the autopsy. They could not be guaranteed that the bomb was not going to have a secondary explosion so cutting it could have triggered that. Also, that bomb was one of the best pieces of evidence that they had. You can say they didn't show his body much respect by removing his head, but they did it to help and solve this, and find out who did this to him.

He may have had diminished mental capabilities, but he did participate in a scavenger hunt type thing each year. However in this he was set up to fail because there was literally no way to finish what he needed to before the bomb was set to detonate. I am guessing these greedy assholes wanted to split up their take by as little as possible.

The whole thing is sad. Drugs are sad. People are sick and this Marjorie (or however you spell it) was a total lunatic who had a superiority complex. So I think Mr. Wells was both a co-conspirator AND a victim. He certainly didn't deserve what happened to him.

I am curious about what the video shows. I have seen everything leading up to the explosion, but the camera from the news station that had been filming had some technical difficulties when the bomb actually went off, so they did not capture it, visually at least. You could hear the bomb go off.

I really want to watch the new docuseries about this on Netflix. I'm also stunned that Wells had a head left to remove. I guess the charge was aimed downward? That freaks me out.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

The new series on Netflix makes the argument that Wells was NOT in on the planning. That's actually the big reveal at the end.
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    I really want to watch the new docuseries about this on Netflix. I'm also stunned that Wells had a head left to remove. I guess the charge was aimed downward? That freaks me out.
    You see a blurred close up on the show of his head and shoulders. From what you can see there is blood but the head looks mostly intact. In fact his whole body looked more or less alright...ie not splatted which I would assume would happen if a bomb blew up while attached to you.

Edit - I just found a site which shows a gif of the bomb going off and him falling backwards. According to the site it caused a 5 inch gash in his chest and worst of all he didn't die instantly.

If anyone is interested here is some info on it including the letters, pics from the robbery, him sitting in the road, who else was involved etc.

https://imgur.com/a/PMvDc

Quote Originally Posted by Upset View Post
    The new series on Netflix makes the argument that Wells was NOT in on the planning. That's actually the big reveal at the end.
    I binged the series in one go just to see how it played out. While it was obvious Marjorie was guilty of many things, I still felt a little sorry for her. She was a manipulator there was no doubt about that and brought a lot of stuff on her herself but maybe if she had got help early enough, god only knows how different her life would have been especially with how smart she was when she was younger.

I read today they are talking about doing a sequel as there are a load of unanswered questions. I'm not sure who has seen it and who hasn't so I don't know if this is spoilers or not but here it is....

There was an interview with the FBI agent Jerry Clark on TMZ where he says he thinks Jessica's claim that Brian is innocent and was set up wasn't true as he has seen stuff that proved otherwise and Bill Rothstein was the ringleader while Trey (The director) thinks Jessica was being honest and Floyd should be looked into more as he lied which means his immunity shouldn't stick.

http://www.tmz.com/2018/05/27/jerry-clark-evil-genius-fbi-agent-denies-hooker-jessica-confession/

Last edited by Shellie; 05-30-2018 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Added Information.

I just watched this recently (Evil Genius). Certainly I remember when the incident happened and that someone had been caught, but never read in depth. I thought I was going to have to keep a scorecard during the first episode. To me Marjorie might have been the idea person, but that Rothstein guy really enjoyed doing all the work. I was so disappointed that he died so soon. I would have loved to see his whole part played out.

Quote Originally Posted by seurtoFW View Post
    I just watched this recently (Evil Genius). Certainly I remember when the incident happened and that someone had been caught, but never read in depth. I thought I was going to have to keep a scorecard during the first episode. To me Marjorie might have been the idea person, but that Rothstein guy really enjoyed doing all the work. I was so disappointed that he died so soon. I would have loved to see his whole part played out.
    i'm not 100% but I'm sure someone commented on the theory that he had known he had cancer . It might have been the director or one of the cops but one of them questioned if he knew he wasn't gonna survive and that was part of the reason he was so smug because he knew even if he was caught, he wouldn't do time or if he did it wouldn't be a full sentence. He was an arrogant SOB but I think eventually he would have met his match and that would be when you saw the real man not the mask he was hiding behind.

I just started watching Evil Genius. I wasn't going to because I thought I knew the story, but I'm not sure. I still don't know if he was involved... he was wayyyy too calm when they had him in custody. I was more anxious watching it than he seemed to be with a bomb strapped around his neck. Apparently what I heard/read about the news cutting out before the explosion was wrong because they have enough of it on this docu to prove it was completely filmed. Whatever happened I feel bad for this guy. What a crazy bunch of people, for $8000.

It just struck me as I watched this, how the delivery was to a field, essentially. You seen those new Dominoes "hot spot" commercials? I don't know. The whole idea of delivering (pre GMS for the most part) to a random field that he could decipher and the owner could not makes me think.
    Last edited by atomicbettie; 06-15-2018 at 12:22 PM.

I just watched Evil Genius as well, what a screwed up bunch of people. I still can't decide if Brian Wells was a participant or not, I think maybe he was but was under the impression that the bomb wasn't real until he saw it, that's why I think he wanted out at that point but I'm not sure. I think the woman was the mastermind, not in it for the money but for the fun of it, same reason Rothstein made the bomb, just to prove he could and was smarter than everyone else. What a waste for $8000 that none of them got anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzyChick View Post
    I just watched Evil Genius as well, what a screwed up bunch of people. I still can't decide if Brian Wells was a participant or not, I think maybe he was but was under the impression that the bomb wasn't real until he saw it, that's why I think he wanted out at that point but I'm not sure. I think the woman was the mastermind, not in it for the money but for the fun of it, same reason Rothstein made the bomb, just to prove he could and was smarter than everyone else. What a waste for $8000 that none of them got anyway.
    I have a feeling he was duped as well. He thought he was in on it when in fact, they were playing him all along.