Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 291011121320 ... LastLast

Thread: British Royal Family

radiojane Guest
    I can cope with Eugenie's hat (just not her name), but wtf is that dress she has on? I have never seen something so unflattering.

I really, really have to wonder what the Queen, a woman who has many faults but whom I've always admired, does to cope with this asinine family of hers.She has to have a flask hidden in her purse.

orionova Guest
    Right now, the law of primogeniture still applies. Politicians talk of changing it, but it hasn't been done yet. That means the oldest son gets the throne. Even if he has six older sisters.

FannyB1923 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by orionova View Post
    Right now, the law of primogeniture still applies. Politicians talk of changing it, but it hasn't been done yet. That means the oldest son gets the throne. Even if he has six older sisters.

Makes me wonder why Peter Phillips and Edward's son wouldn't be ahead of the girls right now?

Franklin Mint/REX USA

She was a doll on her wedding day in that stunning Alexander McQueen wedding gown. And now, Duchess Catherine literally is a doll – the Kate Middleton Royal Wedding Doll, created by the Franklin Mint.

It features an exact replica of her wedding dress and the sparkling Scroll Tiara loaned to her by Queen Elizabeth. It's painstakingly detailed, from the hand-applied floral laces on her bodice to her satin train.

Kate's ensemble was worth a pretty penny, and the miniature version isn't cheap, either. It will set you back $295, but pairs nicely with the previously released royal engagement collectible.

http://www.people.com/people/package...487269,00.html
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

FannyB1923 Guest
    I was looking on Etsy and a seamstress has already put together a replica gown if you have $2000 I think to this generation of young women they'll describe it as looking like Kate's, where I'd call it a Grace Kelly influence. Either way, it's a lovely look for any woman.

Pat Bateman Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FannyB1923 View Post
    Prince Edward and Sophie's titles - Earl and Countess of Wessex- crack me up. There is no Wessex in modern Britain- hasn't been for a thousand years.
    I just read that upon the death of Prince Philip, Edward will be the next Duke of Edinburgh.

Charles is Duke of Cornwall, which goes with being Prince of Wales. He gets part of the income of Cornwall, like tribute to the Duke.

The funny thing about Beatrice and Eugenie's hats is that they were designed by Philip Treacy who also designed some of the best hats at the wedding. I guess being younger, they went for flippy and fun. Strikes me as typical Fergie- always a bit over the top.

Chelsea Davy caught a little criticism for wearing a nice two-piece suit, and a bare minimal "fascinator" But golly, she's just a girl Harry dates at this juncture. Maybe she had to get her outfit off the rack? She's a lawyer, so maybe she's got big student loans limiting her clothes budget?

Next up- Zara Phillips and her rugby star sweetie- in July I believe!
    I like Chelsy better than Kate, to be honest. She has two degrees and actually works for a living.

FannyB1923 Guest
    Agreed, Chelsy is really smart. She could be a real asset to the Royals. But would she want to be married to Harry? Harry is a likeable young man, earned his chops as a soldier, but as a husband? He might like a good time too much.

Once William has children, Harry will be less in the spotlight. Maybe he'll be like Prince Edward or the Kents, and we'll just see them at the state occasions. Some of the "lesser" royals have real jobs and don't make their money off the Civil List.
    I could see that appealing to Chelsy- leaving her free to practice her law career.

personally I find Harry more attractive than William
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pat Bateman Guest
    Will visited Australia a few weeks before his wedding and charmed the socks off everybody. He came across as very warm, friendly and down-to-earth.

PurrPurr Guest
    Dear God.

I hope poor Kate realized what she's gotten herself into. Barely married a week, and one of those stupid tabloid shows advertised earlier this evening about "the royal bride pushing a shopping cart."

This girl isn't going to be able to fart "God Save the Queen" without it being reported.

Maybe they will hit the Dearly Departed tour when they go to Cali.

I bet they won't come here, and it ticks me off! The last time we had a royal visit was 1983 and it rained like heck, being February. Queen Elizabeth came in on the Britannia.
    When people think California, they think San Francisco or L.A. HELLO!!! We have one of the biggest Naval bases in the US. The Navy Seals (yes team 6 included) train here. Marines also have large bases here.
    *pouting*
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

radiojane Guest
    I wish I still had the pictures of Princess Anne's visit on this computer! She came to Saskatchewan a few years back and my mom's best friend got drive the buggy she rode in. My mother went with and actually got to meet her. I was still in university and I was beyond jealous!

radiojane Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PurrPurr View Post
    Dear God.

I hope poor Kate realized what she's gotten herself into. Barely married a week, and one of those stupid tabloid shows advertised earlier this evening about "the royal bride pushing a shopping cart."

This girl isn't going to be able to fart "God Save the Queen" without it being reported.
    I read that article and it said that she looked very happy and skipped while pushing her cart in the parking lot. I thought it was a cute story. I sure hope this isn't going to be the start of a Diana thing. Hopefully they will have a long, scandal free marriage, which seemed to draw much more attention to Diana.

FannyB1923 Guest
    Picture of Princess Anne on her wedding day in 1973: http://buybridalgowns.net/wp-content...rk-wedding.jpg
    I thought she looked really good and I loved the medieval style dress (gorgeous sleeves!) I read someplace that Prince Charles was appalled because Anne was heavily made up for the cameras, where she usually goes for casual style.
    She never wanted to be the fairy tale princess, and works harder than any other Royal. But I suspect that at night she tucks into bed next to her sailor love, Tim, and reads romance novels!

I was looking at pictures of her and Charles when they were little and noticed that Edward's daughter, Lady Louise looks just like Anne.

Giada Guest
    Eventually ... they will be gone, simply not cost effective. Eighty million for security detail annually for the top tier.

Fergie takes the heat ... with Andrew and his equally scandalous liaisons still riding high. His two ugly daughters reminiscent of Cinderella's stepsisters. Edward who barely made it through university, remains useless, as well as his nasty, petulant wife.

William and Harry who would rather be anywhere but here ...

If not this gen then the next ... 100M for a wedding, time off for public employees. This wedding and it's royalty are a liability not an asset.
    Last edited by Giada; 05-17-2011 at 05:25 PM.

radiojane Guest

Fertility Woes??

http://www.dramarama.ca/2011/05/royal-baby-woes.html

They're really getting creative with this one. Even blaming Camilla for the leak.

â??If Kate is not pregnant within the next nine months, sheâ??ll be defying 200 years of British tradition.â??â?
    That's not pressure at all.

Cat_AmmaKittehKat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    http://www.dramarama.ca/2011/05/royal-baby-woes.html

They're really getting creative with this one. Even blaming Camilla for the leak.

That's not pressure at all.
    Now THATS creative

Lets not call it a leak, just a "happy accident"

BabaBooey Guest

My Thoughts

Here are my thoughts on some of the comments/questions that came up in this thread. My apologies if this gets to be long.

The Ring
    I understand why some don't like that Prince William gave Catherine Middleton his mother's ring. The whole "bad juju" thing. But the way I see it, this was the one piece of jewelry he saw his mother wear almost every day of her married life. It just may hold a very special place in his heart for him. If it was me marrying him, I would have been excited to receive that ring! Also, the royals have a habit of passing down jewels, which leads me to my next point.

Jewelry and Tiaras
    Someone commented that Diana had a habit of wearing dead royal's jewels. Hello! Every single member of the royal family wears dead royal's jewels. They pass their jewelry down from one generation to the next. Most of the current private jewelry collection (not the Crown Jewels) were amassed by Queen Mary, while some were from Queen Victoria. It's tradition for royal brides to be lent/given a tiara to wear on their wedding day. Queen Elizabeth wore her mother's tiara on her wedding day, Princess Anne wore the same tiara on her wedding day. Princess Margaret had a new (well, new to the family, but certainly not "just made" new) for her wedding. Diana's family had the Spencer tiara, which she wore to her wedding, but the Queen gave her (not lent, gave) the Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara as a gift. Sarah was given a new-new tiara for her wedding. And Sophie's tiara was created from old pieces of Queen Victoria's jewels.

Westminster Abbey
    Another comment had to do with why Prince William would want to have his wedding in the same place his mother's funeral was held. For a lot of church going people, especially Catholics and some Protestants (like the Anglicans) the baptism, wedding and funeral is held at the family parish. In this case, the British Royal Family parish is Westminster Abbey. It's where all the coronations are held, and were many royal wedding take place, as well as royal funerals. The reason Charles and Diana were married at St. Paul's Cathedral is because it held more people. Edward and Sophie were married at St. George's Chapel because they had a private (non-state occasion) wedding. The Queen Mother, the Queen, Prince Andrew and Princess Anne were all married there.

Titles and Styles
    Titles can be very confusing! Prince William is a prince by birth. No one can ever take that away from him. He received the title Duke of Cambridge on his wedding day as a gift from The Queen. The Queen gave Prince Andrew and Prince Edward titles on their wedding days. These new titles don't replace their princely titles, but are additions to. If Prince William had not been created a Duke, than Catherine Middleton would have been known as Her Royal Highness Princess William, NOT Princess Catherine. She is not and will never be Princess Catherine. She is Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge. Only children and grandchildren of the reigning monarch can by styled as HRH Prince/Princess. Unfortunately, the media began calling her Princess Catherine immediately after the wedding, as they did with Diana. Diana was never titled Princess Diana, she was Her Royal Highness The Princess of Wales. (After her divorce she was stripped of the HRH and known as Diana, Princess of Wales. Same thing with Sarah.) When Princess Margaret was married, her husband declined a title, but was later given the title of Earl before his children were born (because God forbid they be born without some kind of title). When Princess Anne was married, her husband declined any title and her children today have no titles. Now, the only person to marry into the royal family to have been created a prince in their own right was The Duke of Edinburgh. Before he married the Queen, he was knows as Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark. Prior to his marriage he renounced his Greek and Danish titles and was created the Duke of Edinburgh. It wasn't until later that the Queen made him a Prince of the UK in his own right. But he will never be called King, because it is Elizabeth that inherited that title and throne, not Philip. And as we saw before, women take their husband's titles, husbands do not take their wives titles. (Oh wait, Princess Alice was also made a princess in her own right - forgot about that one!)

ETA: I thought this was quite interesting! Did you know that even though it is a hereditary title, the title of Duke of York has never been inherited?
    Last edited by BabaBooey; 05-23-2011 at 12:48 PM.

I dunno, Kate is looking borderline anorexic in this photo. Bony limbs, no curves, small boobs etc..

BabaBooey Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    I dunno, Kate is looking borderline anorexic in this photo. Bony limbs, no curves, small boobs etc..

Yes, she does. She lost quite a bit of weight before the wedding.

havoc Guest
    On a side note. If you haven't seen The King's Speech yet.....rent it.

Its outstanding! Definately two thumbs up!

Quote Originally Posted by havoc View Post

We did. My DW is a Speech Pathologist so this movie was right up her alley. We both loved it.

radiojane Guest
    She probably stopped eating just due to the stress of facing a public wedding into a looney toon family.

PurrPurr Guest
    She probably stopped eating just due to the stress of facing a public wedding into a looney toon family.
    I just hope it doesn't become a Diana Part Deux where Kate ends up with anorexia/bulimia. I wouldn't wish either on anyone.

Just don't believe the "evil Mrs. Simpson" part of it!
    "The gore of the tomato dribbles from your lips..."-Brother Theodore

havoc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg King View Post
    Just don't believe the "evil Mrs. Simpson" part of it!
    You know, they did portray her pretty badly. Both of them.

FannyB1923 Guest
    I was looking at the photos of the celebrities at the big banquet the other night and Helena Bonham Carter (and Tim too) were there. Wonder if that means HRH liked the way Helena played her Mummy?

RogerV Guest
    You know, they did portray her pretty badly. Both of them.

I don't think that any movie or even book has ever portrayed him badly ENOUGH. He was a spoiled brat who never grew up, and many of his activities were very nearly treasonous. Anyone else would have found himself interned or under house arrest for the duration of the war.

I won't argue about HIM-though a lot of the traitorous Nazi stuff thrown around is pretty damn thin as evidence. But Wallis did nothing vile-and yet she gets painted as an adventuress and a whore

radiojane Guest
    I won't argue about HIM-though a lot of the traitorous Nazi stuff thrown around is pretty damn thin as evidence. But Wallis did nothing vile-and yet she gets painted as an adventuress and a whore
    As long as Liz is around they'll keep painting her that way. I have a feeling that the less than fair portrayals of Wallace are to keep from offending the Royals. She might get off a little easier once this generation dies off.

As long as Liz is around they'll keep painting her that way. I have a feeling that the less than fair portrayals of Wallace are to keep from offending the Royals. She might get off a little easier once this generation dies off.

Possibly....The Queen was almost certainly constrained in her ability to act/interact with the Duchess of Windsor while her mother was alive. But unfortunately 70 years of propaganda has sunk in too deeply for it to be cast off easily-if you ever saw the television documumentary that Prince Edward did in 1996 on the Duke and Duchess called "Edward on Edward" it simply repeated and insinuated a lot of nastiness about her. Couple that with a remark Prince Charles made about the Duchess at a time when he had never even met her-he declared that Wallis was "a dreadful woman." When asked why he thought so, especially given that he had never once spoken to her, he answered, "Because my grandmother says she is."

Those attitudes are still around and you have only to look at the nonsense the British press stumbled all over themselves to publish in the wake of the Queen Mother's death about Wallis from previously sealed files-all of it rumors (the old she was a hermaphrodite business, her genitalia was disformed-and yet at the same time she was a whore who slept with everyone and got pregnant and had untold abortions-go figure how THOSE things agree with each other!)-to see that it will probably never go away. The thing that gets me is she is blamed for the abdication-when it's really HIM who made the mess and handled it badly.

darlingmissmarple Guest
    side ways from the topic. Does anyone know if there is a thread on Fergie on here.
    She is doing a special show "Finding Sarah" on oprah's new network. I would like to hear others thoughts on her, as she opens up on this journey.

bela lugosi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by darlingmissmarple View Post
    side ways from the topic. Does anyone know if there is a thread on Fergie on here.
    She is doing a special show "Finding Sarah" on oprah's new network. I would like to hear others thoughts on her, as she opens up on this journey.
    She is despicable, i have no time for her her ex hubby or her offspring who leech millions off our country every year. The antics she got up to in the hotel taking massive backhanders off a reporter passing himself off as a businessman in a hotel room surely had to have the nod off prince andy as theres no way she could nobble a massive backhander to arrange meets with her ex husband without his say so, imagine the uproar if she renaged on the deal and was taken to court over it..Then we have the Uk press roling into action with swathes of sympathy for her, making excuses and expecting everyone to feel sorry for her.No thanks.

bela lugosi Guest
    He would have been in good company what with Prince Phillip and his band of nazi brother in laws.

orionova Guest
    Wallis was sleeping with a high ranking Nazi diplomat in Britain while seeing Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by orionova View Post
    Wallis was sleeping with a high ranking Nazi diplomat in Britain while seeing Edward.
    Uh...no....If you're referring to Ribbentrop, it's nothing but gossip. There is SO MUCH crap out there about her, and none of it supported by any facts.

It's funny ,when I went over the pond to Las Vegas this year there was a prog on TV and it referred to Broken Britain.Unfortunately I think that title is now pretty apt.After all the adulation shown after Diana's death ,I don't think the country has been united much, not even with William's wedding.Too many people are sick of hearing about all the cuts we are facing to be very happy about the huge amounts having a Royal family costs. I pity Kate marrying into the iceberg family.I didn't see one tear from the Queen when Diana died but when her beloved ship had done its last journey they were crying buckets.
    Personally ,I don't think we can afford a Royal family anymore.The country is in one hell of a mess and they don't live in the real world.Everything we have over here is foreign, we used to buy stuff and it would have "made in Great Britain " on it.Now, it's nearly always China or some other country.I ring my bank and I get someone in India answering my call.I ring B.T. and he calls me Mrs.first name as he can barely speak English.I was in accident and emergency and a Polish doctor said to me "you hev medical prolem ?" ( er - no I'm doing an audit of hospital ceilings for an artistic coffee table book I'm bringing out )
    I don't know how we got on this topic as it's nothing to do with death but maybe the death of the royal family as a tradition would be a good thing.

Still trying to figure out why William and Kate are visiting Quebec (where they'll get a VERY rough reception - Quebeckers haven't been able to let go of 1759 lol)) and not Toronto (which still has lots of monarchists).

FannyB1923 Guest
    The Queen's cousin, the Earl of Harewood has died. His mother was the sister of Edward, Duke of Windsor and Bertie, aka George VI.

One of the royals who had to go out and make their way in the world.

obit here:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obit...-Harewood.html

As far as I can tell, he was the first modern royal to divorce and remarry, back in the 60s. The article says that afterwards, he was an outcast from the Royal Circle for a few years and wasn't at the Duke of Windsor's (his uncle) funeral, nor the wedding of Princess Anne.
    Last edited by FannyB1923; 07-14-2011 at 05:08 PM.

The Windsors are an absolute bore compared to the Plantangenets, Tudors, and Stuarts. The Hanovers were the most boring, however, with the exception of George IV.

My favorite story about George IV is that he loathed his wife Caroline. When Napoleon died his valet informed him that "his greatest enemy had died.", to which George replied "My wife is dead?"
    Last edited by MagnusDippytack; 07-17-2011 at 10:01 AM. Reason: irbwn708q6w89-vq8943tvnqop74v8q-75v8
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit

When he first met Caroline of Brunswick, he turned to his butler and said, "Pray fetch me a glass of brandy, I am feeling unwell."

Not a particularly finesse dude.
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

bela lugosi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by firegilnotguns View Post
    Hrm, hadn't heard that yet...in any case, I don't think this is the right forum for this information since this is for people who are already dead...(watch it, now that I've said that he'll die just to prove me wrong!)
    I didn't think he had one....

bela lugosi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    British and Canadian papers are reporting that HRH Prince Philip, 86, is suffering from a heart condition and was recently hospitalized. One to watch.
    I didn't think he had one............

Giada Guest
    Kate and Wills to tour as business ambassadors for the UK. This didn't seem to work to well for Andrew ... One of his good friends who loaned money to Sarah was Jeffrey Epstein, pedophile.

And Zara Phillips is having her own little cow, unable to sell her wedding photos, with accompanied drunken guests ... the, "palace," says no.

bela lugosi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Giada View Post
    Kate and Wills to tour as business ambassadors for the UK. This didn't seem to work to well for Andrew ... One of his good friends who loaned money to Sarah was Jeffrey Epstein, pedophile.

And Zara Phillips is having her own little cow, unable to sell her wedding photos, with accompanied drunken guests ... the, "palace," says no.
    Im proud to say we are not all like this bunch of layabout inbred parasites (in the UK)...i cringe at what the rest of the world think of us all when these lot open their mouths with their upper crust toffee nosed accents and Fergie getting caught in the hotel with the reporter selling meets with Fat Andy,who supposedly didn't know about it all.

Giada Guest
    Bela ... I have friends in the UK. I don't judge your wonderful people by the royals.

Wonderful souls there who love animals, tend their beautiful gardens and enjoy family and friends ...

(I live in California and am not related to Paris Hilton or Lindsey Lohan

[QUOTE=Giada;1175208]This didn't seem to work to well for Andrew ... One of his good friends who loaned money to Sarah was Jeffrey Epstein, pedophile.

QUOTE]

Here is a fascinating article about Prince Andrew...he certainly is a mama's boy and has much questionable behavior and many shady contacts/friends of his own. The article is long, however it is one of the most interesting and in depth looks into the royal family that I have ever seen- lots and lots going on, both present and past, and there are multiple things mentioned in regards to the relationships between Prince Andrew, Fergie, Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip. It is an excellent read:

The Trouble with Andrew...

http://www.vanityfair.com/society/fe...-andrew-201108

I was surprisingly underwhelmed by this film. Geoffrey Rush always seals the deal when I choose a film. He was superb though the material was weak. I guess you can expect this from a film financed by the government via lottery.
    "Everybody is born, and everybody dies. Being born wasn't so bad , was it?"
    Peter the Hermit