Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: British Royal Family

I know Charles is next in line when the Queen goes....but will he actually take the crown or pass it on down to Prince William?

Good for him! At his age, it's wise to have a game plan. If he wants something "Low Key" then let him have it. Everyone should get what they want.

crazedfemale Guest
    Elizabeth is 82; Charles, 59. The Queen will serve until death, that's her plan. Her mom lived to be 101; so Liz could have many good years left on the throne. Let's say she's 90 when she died, Charles would be almost 70. Who knows, he may never live to see the throne, which would immediately be passed to William, which I think Diana always thought would happen.

I♥TinyTim Guest
    You scared me! I thought the guy died! *phew* lol

xenaswolf Guest
    Acccccckkkkk I can't even keep up with my own family tree. Those folks must get REALLY confused LOL

Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by FannyB1923 View Post
    ,,Raising hand in the back row,, I think I know!

Because he's a Prince of Greece, but never mind that, they're Danes but they ruled Greece, and they're probably more German than anything...

but I digress

Anyhow, his Father was a Prince, and he was a prince. But in the UK anyhow, you don't become King ruler just by marrying the Queen. But the King's Wife can become a queen- like Queen Mary. Queen Victoria's husband's title was Prince Albert, the Prince Consort.
    I'm not sure what they'll call Camilla (let me call her something ;-) Diana would have probably been Queen Diana or Diana, Queen Consort. Camilla might just stay HRH Duchess of Cornwall. Charles will be 60 this year. If something happens to the Queen, I think he ought to save the taxpayers some money on Coronations and just pass on to William.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sampiro View Post
    In order to make it as low key as possible, Her Majesty has announced that when the time comes she plans to borrow a friend's Chevy Silverado pickup truck, some shovels from her gardener, and just "make some sandwiches and have a day of it" at her home in Scotland. Prince Charles responded "A shovel... yes indeed... I've heard of them though I've never seen one actually used. Something akin to a hammer and a wrench, yes?"

LMAOOOOOOOO......CLASSIC BABY.......

Jazbabee Guest
    Damn, I thought I missed some big news !!!

Vamp Guest
    Phillip is old school. Keep things private and all that. He works hard and doesn't complain. I wish Charles had half his stamina. (I know Phillip fooled around on the Queen but at least he did it discretely.)

leeny994 Guest
    I think he saw all the fan fare with his ex daughter in law and (did his mother in law, the Queen Mum have a big state funeral?)
    but i think he saw all of that and was like: 'nope not for me'
    hey its his call.

crazedfemale Guest
    Well Diana was so loved; the Royal Family had no choice or Britain's citizens would have stormed the palace.

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    I think the fact that old Liz has dedicated her life to England is a great feat...However, there are a lot of perks with the job...She has never wanted for anything in her life...I have never heard anything ill toward her from any resident of England...Seems like a darn fine place to be...Or am I waxing poetic here...

i wonder if this is being discussed because phillip is dying??
    pull the string!

FannyB1923 Guest
    I figure Queen Elizabeth is the great experiment in longevity. At least since she's become Queen, she's had the best of everything available to her- best medical care, has farms that grow food especially for her. She looks a whole lot better in her 80's than a lot of people do at 60. She might like a gin n' tonic now and then, but I don't think she smokes. Certainly never partied like Margaret! She might live to 110!

gemini33 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hell0kitty View Post
    i wonder if this is being discussed because phillip is dying??
    Maybe they are discussing it because he is getting up there in age (87).

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    I really don't think you can kill the old blokes...They are all healthier than I am...

**Jenna** Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lab_rat View Post
    Christ, I thought he croaked.
    Quote Originally Posted by MorbidMolly View Post
    * snort *.......me too.....oh well........
    Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    LOL - so did I!
    Quote Originally Posted by findadeathaddict View Post
    Yeah me too....I was wondering how in the hell I had missed it on the news
    count me in too on that!

Sampiro Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leeny994 View Post
    I think he saw all the fan fare with his ex daughter in law and (did his mother in law, the Queen Mum have a big state funeral?)
    Yes she did. Interesting thing about it: the Queen Mum planned her funeral to the nth degree when she and the century were in their late '70s (she was born in 1900), though she had more than 22 years left to live. It's code name was Tay Bridge. When Princess Diana died it was not only completely unexpected due to her youth but was also unprecedented- there'd never been a funeral for an "ex Princess of Wales" (former, yes, but not a divorced one) and so there was some serious debate about "What exactly do we do?" When it was clear the people were demanding a state funeral, in interest of time they basically used "Tay Bridge", the Queen Mum's funeral plans. Per insiders, Her Majesty the Queen Mother, then in her late 90s and knowing it wouldn't be terribly long (though in fact it would be 4 1/2 years), was extremely irked at "her" funeral being used for her grandson's ex-wife. (Before the Queen Mother did die they changed the plans a bit so she could have her own unique ceremony and procession.)
    This is covered a bit in the movie THE QUEEN (in which HMETQM is portrayed by Sylvia Syms).

TrueBlueAngel Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by crazedfemale View Post
    Well Diana was so loved; the Royal Family had no choice or Britain's citizens would have stormed the palace.
    Damn right!

Desertrose Guest
    I love the Royal Family, have always been fascinated with them. So I especially enjoyed being in London and seeing Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle, and actually being able to go in parts of Windor Castle and see some of the state rooms. Our tour director, who was born and raised in London, told us that the queen couldn't pass over Charles and give the throne to William, even if that is what she wanted. It would have to be approved by Parliment. Charles has trained for being king all his life, I don't think he would be denied the throne. It will be interesting to see what eventually happens.

John Connor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    ITA.

He actually said in his next life he wanted to come back as her tampon.

Yup, sounds like a real love story to me.

I think it is quite romantic but like many intimate conversations not for public consumption.

Noelle Page Guest
    I agree. I heard the tape and thought it was kind of adorable.. The other line I liked was when Camilla said, about loving Charles, "Oh darling, easier than falling off a chair."

Now...heard in the context of adultery/future king and all that....yeah, not good.

lab_rat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by keeunjames View Post
    I think it is quite romantic but like many intimate conversations not for public consumption.

LaynesGirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hotmama View Post
    first of all i am not going to debate with you over who is ugly. diana was not pretty at all and neither was camilla or charles for that matter and that is from not marrying out of the family unit for centuries.. i could care the less about diana having been adored by the people because i was not one of them. (i have nothing against her but this charles and diana thing was blown out of proportion it was just 2 people who did not make it due to other things)camilla has charles she does not need the adoration of the people. she got her man. the queens beloved son loves her. diana may have had the peoples attention but she could not get her husband's attention and that is more important than the people. the people are just angry because charles is with his true love and sorry to say diana was not his true love. sad but true. that is life. we can't always get what we want and we cannot make a person love us no mattter how pretty or ugly we are. looks do not matter if you really love someone and what i meant by camilla was not that ugly , i meant she is not that ugly to charles and that is what matters not what you think. again diana was used by the royal family to bringforth an heir. now that is just straight wrong.

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FUCKING MIND???? Diana was BEAUTIFUL!
    She was elegant, graceful, SMART, giving, charming, modest, and the CAMERA loved her. You obviously have NO CLUE what real beauty is about.

LaynesGirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by keeunjames View Post
    "Romantic???" Yeah that is about as "romantic" as a man scratching his big hairy sack at the fucking dinner table, then sticking his dick in the gravy.... What is "romantic" about that? Even in intimate moments this is the FARTHEST thing from 'romantic', its flat out revolting and nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by crazedfemale View Post
    No, they would not have stormed the palace. Don't be so dramatic.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Littleroben Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    No, they would not have stormed the palace. Don't be so dramatic.
    Well you might be right, but I think there would have been protests. It was all quite whipped up here at the time.

Noelle Page Guest
    I agree about the possibility of protests. Hell, they were all gathered en masse anyway. Maybe they would have thrown flowers.

Quote Originally Posted by Littleroben View Post
    Well you might be right, but I think there would have been protests. It was all quite whipped up here at the time.
    The royal family would have suffered irrepairable damage if the queen had not acquiesced. Even so they did take a big hit.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Noelle Page Guest
    Roben, what do you all think of Miss Kate?

Littleroben Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    Roben, what do you all think of Miss Kate?

To be fair I don't know that much about her really. She gets a bit of press here and has been nicknamed 'Waity Katie'. There have been a few comments that the Queen thinks she should get a job with a charity.

Her brother was in the paper today getting a bit of a slagging off, think it was some college pictures including one of him dressed up as a french maid. It looked like a fancy dress party though and if thats the worst dirt out there on him then he seems harmless.

On the whole I can't blame her for not working if that means the press would just follow her around there all day. She seems a decent enough person and so long as she doesn't mind William taking his time to make his mind up then good on her.

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    I am royalty...I am the queen of my doublewide trailer...

Noelle Page Guest
    the Queen thinks she should get a job with a charity.
    The Queen is a smart lady. Surely she could do something....in the arts, perhaps.

I have to say, these kids do seem to go clubbing an awful lot. I mean, I know Charles partied in his day, but he had intellectual interests, too.

Kate is a little Diana-ish....especially in how she seems to have suddenly become overly involved with her appearance. Getting very thin, etc. I suppose that can happen to a young person who abruptly becomes a celebrity.

Personally, I'd rather see William pick a good, stodgy, horsey, old-school aristocrat. Like the Queen herself.

It's the anniversary of Diana's death today, I'll never forget it and how shocked i was when i turned the tv on and the outpouring of grief from the public in the following days was surreal she was also buried on my daughters birthday
    hope she is having a happy afterlife anyway

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    Oh yeah! I forgot today was the day...I watched the whole thing with bated breath...

gemini33 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysticakasha View Post
    It's the anniversary of Diana's death today, I'll never forget it and how shocked i was when i turned the tv on and the outpouring of grief from the public in the following days was surreal she was also buried on my daughters birthday
    hope she is having a happy afterlife anyway
    I know exactly were I was when I heard the news about Diana. I was watching CNN Headline News. At first, they said she suffered only "minor" injuries.... then they came back on like 15 minutes later and said she had died. I was like WTF?? How do you go from minor injuries to death! I'm not even a Diana fan, I'm neutral on her. But her death seems a little fishy to me.

Littleroben Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gemini33 View Post
    I know exactly were I was when I heard the news about Diana. I was watching CNN Headline News. At first, they said she suffered only "minor" injuries.... then they came back on like 15 minutes later and said she had died. I was like WTF?? How do you go from minor injuries to death! I'm not even a Diana fan, I'm neutral on her. But her death seems a little fishy to me.
    It was quite a surreal day. I remember waking up and seeing her picture on tv with dates under it and thinking 'but thats what they do when people die'. It was a really weird day, think I went to the garden centre and there was a very subdued atmosphere and I think the radio stations just played music all day with no chat in between.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leeny994 View Post
    my heart ached when i saw Harry with the envelope holding a letter he wrote to his mother with 'mummy' written in his then child like handwriting on it.
    That one still gets me. I can still remember her death and funeral and the aftermath so clearly. Its like it happened just a couple years ago, not 11 years ago this weekend!!

gemini33 Guest
    It was quite a surreal day. I remember waking up and seeing her picture on tv with dates under it and thinking 'but thats what they do when people die'. It was a really weird day, think I went to the garden centre and there was a very subdued atmosphere and I think the radio stations just played music all day with no chat in between.
    I see that you are from the UK. I have to admit that I'm an ugly American. I knew that it was the middle of the night when she died in England (Around 11pm, 12am here in the US.) I kept thinking... haha, we (americans) know before the people who loved her sooo much in England that she was dead. I stayed glued to the tv for a couple days after she died. I was sooo tired, but I stayed up to watch her funeral on CNN and other news stations. Her funeral was like at 6am here on the East coast of America. I just couldn't believe the look on Prince William's face as they walked behind the casket. It made me cry.

FannyB1923 Guest
    Yep, it was Saturday night of Labor Day Weekend. It was also the Golden Days of AOL. There was a "Women's Open Chat" room and 24/7 there was always somebody online to "talk" to. We were just talking back and forth, and somebody said Diana had been in a serious accident. I don't think her death was confirmed for more than an hour- I know they worked frantically to save her. I remember that huge outpouring of shock and grief from the bunch of people in the chat room that night.

A couple of weeks before her death, one of the tabloids (I think it was the Star) ran a story that her life was in danger because her military guards had been removed after the divorce. And dammit, that's exactly what happened!
    If she'd had trained people working with her, instead of a hired drunk limo driver, she might not have died.
    I think Charles realized that too. That arrogance cost his sons their mother. He went to France to claim the body and they said he physically recoiled from the shock!

I still miss her. But like they say, the brightest stars burn out quickly.

actually diana was the first to cheat in the marriage.we got a totally different slant on everything in the states. harry may not be his son, but he swears to always be his father...until harry should ever stand to be king...you think the english people will accept someone who is maybe or maybe not of 'royal blood' as king? the kid is the spitting image of her former lover, james hewitt(those guys with those ghastly looking perpetually pink cheeks lmao)

diana's father in his youth...

This may not be Harry's father....but they look very much alike in my opinion...just my thoughts..

gemini33 Guest
    I think the Queen will live for a long time. Even if Charles doesn't get to be King... I think William will. So we don't have to worry about Prince Harry becoming King even if he doesn't really belong to Prince Charles.

Kate Middleton's brother is making news in the UK - he likes to dress up in women's clothes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1050938/Photos-youngest-Middleton-sure-embarrass-Kate.html

god knows its not the first time a person born on the other side of the blanket became a monarch, somehow i think the english people would make an issue of harry's true parentage, when it came time however.
    pull the string!

god knows its not the first time a person born on the other side of the blanket became a monarch, somehow i think the english people would make an issue of harry's true parentage, when it came time however.

I agree

Eulogy to Diana by Prince Harry - Aug 31/07:

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/princeharrydianaeulogy.htm

this 11th anniversary has passed quietly. Seems the conspiracy theories have finally died off.
    Last edited by cash; 09-01-2008 at 11:33 AM.

1. Harry has the guts to serve on the front lines in Afghanistan so he gets a pass from me, no matter who his Dad is or may be. He seems to be growing up quite nicely.
    2. Pass Charles, go directly to Wills and make him King when QE2 passes away. Charles is a flake.
    3. Diana was no "commoner", she was from aristocracy. She was flawed like the rest of us. I hope she finally found happiness wherever she is. She was a hands on Mum too, not the norm in those circles from what I have read. God bless her.

Prince Charles Turns 60 Waiting for Throne

Ok I couldn't help, but giggle while reading this. The whole vibe of the story feels like Charles is saying "Just die already you old hag. It's my turn."

Prince Charles Turns 60 Waiting for Throne

Graying Prince Charles turns 60 still waiting for chance to become England's King

By GREGORY KATZ

The Associated Press

LONDON

Talk about an apprentice. By the time he turns 60 Friday, Prince Charles will have spent a lifetime in line to become king.
    That's put him in quite a bind. The longest-waiting heir in British history only ascends to the throne when his beloved mother dies or decides to step down.
    Queen Elizabeth II was hosting a birthday party for her son Thursday at Buckingham Palace. The Philharmonia Orchestra, of which the prince is patron, is due to play for invited members of the extended royal family and assorted society figures. Charles' wife Camilla was throwing a more private bash on Saturday at the prince's rural estate, complete with a performance by sexagenarian rocker Rod Stewart.
    But the queen won't be giving Charles the present many believe he craves most â?? the crown. The queen has indicated informally that she plans to keep the job for life and some people think the 82-year-old monarch intends to live forever, or at least as long as her mother, who died at 101.
    "It can't be easy," said historian Andrew Roberts. "Most of us can look forward to our new jobs, but the circumstances under which her reign comes to an end means that he can't, emotionally and psychologically."
    If the queen remains in good health, Charles may be nearing 80 â?? or past it â?? when he fulfills the unique destiny that was his at birth.
    Britain's next-longest monarch-in-waiting was Queen Victoria's eldest son, who became King Edward VII in 1901, aged just over 59 years and two months.
    But shed no tears for old Charles and his predicament. He has made being Prince of Wales a pretty good thing.
    Experts, associates and friends say he realized decades ago that he would make his mark as Prince of Wales rather than as an octogenarian king, and so decided to expand that undefined role and use it to pursue causes dear to his heart.
    Roberts said Charles has transformed the traditionally weak role of Prince of Wales â?? which the historian compared to the vice-presidency of the United States â?? by using it as a bully pulpit.
    "He's made a real job of it," Roberts said. "He's spoken out on what matters most to him, championing organic food over genetically modified crops, backing architecture that is human in scale, pursuing better relations between the Islamic world and other faiths, and starting the Prince's Trust, which has helped many young people in trouble."
    The princely role offers a few advantages over being monarch. Some say the money is better, because the Prince of Wales controls the lucrative Duchy of Cornwall, the 55,000-hectare (136,000-acre) estate established in 1337 by King Edward II to provide income for his heir. Official accounts show the prince's property and investments brought in 16 million pounds (US$24 million) last year.
    And a prince is much more able to speak his mind than a king or queen because of constitutional restraints placed on the person heading the House of Windsor.
    Patrick Jephson, former private secretary to Princess Diana, said Charles' income from the Duchy of Cornwall allows him to spend a "colossal" amount of money building his empire and pursuing his interests and causes.
    "In effect, he is king now in his own kingdom," said Jephson. "He has all the trappings and enjoys all the perks and one might argue none of the responsibility. This takes some of the sting out of having to wait. You can say it's awful because your promotion depends on your mother's death, but we've all had parents die and not benefited so spectacularly from it."
    Jephson finds Charles arrogant in many ways. But he has some sympathy for the aging prince.
    "He is trapped between an immovable object, his mother, and the ever rising profile of his photogenic and sexy children," Jephson said. "That's all the more reason to feather your nest while you can and enjoy being master of all you survey."
    There is no doubt that Charles is less popular than the queen, who commands wide respect throughout Britain for her unswerving devotion to duty for more than half a century. She became queen on the death of her father George VI in 1952. Charles, the eldest of her four children, was not yet 4 years old.
    Charles' many detractors see him as a slightly potty eccentric who talks to his plants and is so committed to environmental causes that he converted his vintage Aston Martin to run on surplus wine.
    Some still fault him for the spectacular flameout of his marriage to Princess Diana and his not-too-carefully-concealed extramarital affair with Camilla Parker Bowles, now his second wife.
    His image has been hurt by unauthorized leaks about his gilded lifestyle, including reports that one of his aides squeezes his toothpaste onto his toothbrush for him.
    This negative view has led a boomlet of support for the idea that Charles should forgo the chance to become king at an elderly age and instead pass the crown to Prince William, his dashing eldest son.
    But that idea will never fly, said Vernon Bogdanor, a professor of government at Oxford University who has written extensively about constitutional matters.
    "That's not possible without legislation in Britain and 15 other Commonwealth monarchies," he said. "The monarchy is not seen as something you can choose to accept or not."
    Bogdanor concedes that Charles' reputation was at a low point after his disastrous divorce from Diana, and polls show he remains less popular than the queen. The Daily Mirror newspaper summed up many Britons' feelings Thursday in an editorial. "Happy birthday, Charles," it said, "but long may the queen reign over us."
    But Bogdanor said the public view of the prince has improved since then. Charles has lectured around the world on the environment, championed interfaith dialogue and channeled millions to good causes through his Prince's Trust charity, which helps young people get education, work and training.
    "He's the first heir to the throne to find a role for himself," Bogdanor said.
    "He's connected with outsiders the politicians sometimes ignore. I think now people appreciate what he's done. He could have sat back and done nothing."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Armcast Guest
    He can use my throne as long as he puts the magazines back where they were...

Bleedstreet Guest
    Ya know what must suck?

not just the 60 year wait so far

but

the dude has had to act all "royal" "uppercrust" "goodie ggodie" his whole freakin life!

Ya he cheated on Diana with that ugly chick with bad teeth but come on!

60 years having to be a "good boy" becuase devine intervention says you are in line for the throne?

I bet if he knew at 18 that it would have been this long of a wait he would have said

bullocks! and been a party on jet settin playboy for the next 40 years and screw the throne

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    I know he took a lot of flack over the Diana divorce and was not the world's best husband, but he always seemed like a reasonably nice guy, I don't have any problem with him. But he'll either be dead or so old and out of it when his mother goes, I bet the crown goes straight to William.