View Poll Results: How do you feel about gay marriage?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • It should be legal

39 34.51%
  • It should not be legal

17 15.04%
  • Undecided

5 4.42%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 714151617 LastLast

Thread: Gay marriage, yay!

Cat_AmmaKittehKat Guest
    I'm all for defending love, therefore gay marriage has a big yay from me! The laws here in Britain have been (VERY) slowly changing in line with public sentiment. We do have civil partnerships (which I first wrote as parsnips...) and church wedding are also being pushed for. The CoE and some other religious orgs have been exempt from them, which gets a big booooo hisssss from me.

Katrinawitch Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gayclutter.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	281.5 KB 
ID:	47018

Hee, I saw this billboard from The High Line in NYC over the summer! Love it!

Wait, the gays want to get married?! Next they'll be holding down jobs, and paying taxes, and taking out the garbage, and going to the grocery store, and caring for elderly parents, and buying birthday cakes, and going to football games! When will the insanity stop, people!!!???
    Last edited by Katrinawitch; 01-21-2014 at 05:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat_AmmaKittehKat View Post
    I'm all for defending love, therefore gay marriage has a big yay from me! The laws here in Britain have been (VERY) slowly changing in line with public sentiment. We do have civil partnerships (which I first wrote as parsnips...) and church wedding are also being pushed for. The CoE and some other religious orgs have been exempt from them, which gets a big booooo hisssss from me.
    Well, it's progress.

Federal Judge rules Texas' ban on same-sex marriage is unconstitutional:
    http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/...al-judge-rules
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Federal Judge rules Texas' ban on same-sex marriage is unconstitutional:
    http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/...al-judge-rules
    Sure can tell it's an election year!

slingshot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat_AmmaKittehKat View Post
    I lived in England for a time in the 1990s and the London I saw was very prejudiced against gays. Glad to hear things are better now.

I really dont understand how some can take a book meant for personal consumption (like the Bible or Koran) and try to govern people with it. And I especially dont like when churches try to dictate their brand of morality via legislation yet maintain their tax exempt status. I say take it away, make them pay taxes. But having said that, as a gay woman I would not want to marry in a place that did not want to marry me. Why would anyone want to force someone to marry them? Its supposed to be a happy, loving time and knowing someone is being forced to marry me would be a major buzz kill. That part has never bothered me for some reason. JMO of course.

Arizona Governor vetoed the anti-gay bill - yay!

I'm all for it, but it's not something I would do myself ,and I'm gay. As for religion, I was raised a Catholic, and I certainly do not let the hypocrisy of that religion govern what choice I make in life. If God exits, it will be between me and Him.. end of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    I'm all for it, but it's not something I would do myself ,and I'm gay. As for religion, I was raised a Catholic, and I certainly do not let the hypocrisy of that religion govern what choice I make in life. If God exits, it will be between me and Him.. end of story.

I agree with you Mansfield. While I don't begrudge anyone's religion, I don't agree with the idea that any man/woman can be elevated to the status of a "living God." I don't think its possible for anyone to speak for God and have the right to say who will and will not be 'saved.' In the end, its God and only God who will say who has earned the right to be admitted to Heaven. I have a very difficult time giving anyone that right and I don't think that people should be told what to do by someone who is as human as the rest of us. Those positions have been abused throughout history to keep people down, to make them do (or not do) things that go against their own judgment. Some people even go so far as to allow others to make decisions regarding their own children because of fear. While every religion has people in positions of power who take full advantage of that position to do unspeakable things to children, what has happened to millions of poor Catholic children in the name of "God," makes my blood run cold. My relationship with God has nothing whatsoever to do with a middle man, a building or a book. If I'm wrong, I'll find out when my time comes.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

That's right, to be told my lifestyle is a mortal sin, and then turn around and hear all these stories of sexual abuse at the hands of priests, while the Vatican keeps a lid on it. Please ! I went to Catholic schools, and the mantra was confess your sins, because if you don't ,God doesn't hear you.. talk about putting the fear of God in you ! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    That's right, to be told my lifestyle is a mortal sin, and then turn around and hear all these stories of sexual abuse at the hands of priests, while the Vatican keeps a lid on it. Please ! I went to Catholic schools, and the mantra was confess your sins, because if you don't ,God doesn't hear you.. talk about putting the fear of God in you ! LOL
    Going to Catholic school must have been brutal. I've heard horror stories!!! I also don't get confession. I mean why confess something that you're just going to continue to do? LOL God knows what's in our hearts, so what comes out of one's mouth really means nothing unless one is truly sorry and stops doing the wrong thing. The priests doing the wrong things is bad enough, but the people who hid the wrongdoing and put them in positions to subject other congregations to them and abuse other families, in my opinion, is far worse. I wonder if they even lose sleep over it? I mean they must know that God isn't fooled by their bogus confessions. How can they go to their own deaths knowing they need to actually explain themselves to Him?
    Minerva

LOL , It wasn't brutal, and I have no horror stories ! But religion was pushed on us, when I was in high school it was pretty much the same, that, and pray for the football team ! (they were a good team, must have been the prayers). I will tell you this, church was a must on Sunday, but as I got older I figured this is all for show, who has the best pew, dressing the best, who put the most money in the collection plate ! I stopped going when I started looking and dressing like Alice Cooper.. this is 1971 of course, I would go on occasion just for the shock value ! I don't think God cares what your wearing as long as you show up and are sincere in your beliefs.

Well I'm happy to read that you don't have any horror stories!! And this being Texas, we probably pray more for the football teams than all the Catholic schools combined. Its a religion here afterall. LOL
    Minerva

Here it's Hockey... we even have a theme ! I'm sure someone will say what does this have to do with a thread on Gay Marriage , I know gay couples who are married and go to games.. it's all good ! LOL

Giada Guest
    The backlash by businesses against AZ was wonderful ... And yes, had the governor signed the bill into law, AZ would lose the Superbowl! Loved what the owner of Rocco's Pizza in Tucson did. First he put up a sign out sided that said, "Live Free or Die Hungry." Second, he had a sign in the window that said, "We reserve the right to refuse service to AZ legislator's."

Giada Guest
    Disney Stops Funding Boy Scouts of America

http://www.nbcnews.com/#/news/us-new...gay-ban-n41986

The Boy Scouts said in a statement that its "disappointed" in Disney's decision, which will "impact our ability to serve kids."

Atypical of the religious right, refuse to be accountable, while playing victim.

There is NO mandate in the Constitution for “separation of church and state.” It simply forbids the FEDERAL government from establishing a national religion, as in the “Church of England” that was so powerful in Great Britain, backed by the power of the government.
    There’s no call to advocate “the destruction of a society because of its religion.” We just want to be able to freely express our beliefs as they are allowed to express theirs. We “have to be tolerant” of their expression of beliefs, but we have to keep our expression of religion private…according to the politically correct Marxists who are forcing their religion of “equality through extortion.”

Giada Guest
    Welcome Oregon ...

http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/0...0E00KL20140520

(Reuters) - Gay and lesbian couples clamoured to be among the first in Oregon to exchange wedding vows on Monday after a federal judge struck down a state ban on same-sex marriage, sparking a day of celebration amid flowers, cakes and honking car horns.The ruling, which came just before a separate legal victory by gay matrimony advocates in Utah, was the latest in a series of court decisions in other states that if upheld will dramatically expand same-sex couples' marriage rights across the country.
    "I'm speechless. We've waited for this moment for at least 10 years," said Christine Tanner, who with her partner joined three other Oregon couples in challenging a 2004 voter-approved state constitutional amendment limiting marriage to heterosexual couples.

Looking forward to Boies and Olson appearing before the Supreme Court within the next few years.

PurrPurr Guest
    Judge Strikes Down Pennsylvania Gay Marriage Ban
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/21/us...-marriage.html

This was the lead story yesterday in our state in addition to the primary elections. Last state in the Northeast to allow gay marriage. Fingers crossed that Gov. Corbett doesn't appeal (perhaps he won't, since it's an election year).

20. 06-20-2014, 02:45 PM

Gay Marriage Legalized in all 50 States

I was hoping we would hear about this today. The Supreme Court has ruled that gay marriage is now legal in all 50 states. I didn't see another thread about this so I hope this one is okay. I hate starting new ones.

Anyway, I'm stoked. After that bullshit decision about Obamacare, at least the Justices did something right!!!!
    Minerva

I am really happy today! I can now marry my gf of 20 yrs! and here in Tx!

Quote Originally Posted by PiggyTx View Post
    Congratulations!!! I haven't been able to wipe the smile off my face!!
    Minerva

PurrPurr Guest
    I only have one question:

What on earth took so long?

HOORAY!

I would like to congratulate our leader Scott Michaels who flashed his marriage license on his FB page. I hope you both have a very long and happy life together.
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420

I am so happy for so many.

StewartGilliganGriffin Guest
    Wow. Rough few days for the conservatives. First attacking their flag, then Obamacare once again resoundingly wins, and now gay marriage officially made constitutional for all. I can't stop grinning. Congrats to all those that this decision will affect.

PurrPurr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerseysucks View Post
    I would like to congratulate our leader Scott Michaels who flashed his marriage license on his FB page. I hope you both have a very long and happy life together.
    Congrats, Scott!

Congratulations, Piggy!!!! Go get married!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PurrPurr View Post
    I only have one question:

What on earth took so long?

HOORAY!
    NO KIDDING!!!!! You love who you love, and you can't help that. It's about time that Congress realized that.

Congrats, Scott!!!
    "Tequila may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot."

"I just go here!"

"I am not psychic. I AM psychotic. BIG difference."

I love how John Roberts is crying about this. Two years ago he is the deciding vote as to whether the Obamacare penalty was legal, yesterday he turns his back on what was a pretty clear case but ruling that two people who love each other can get married, that he has a problem with.

Congratulation USA, it's about time
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

So happy to hear this:-D Congrats USA :-D

Oooo, congrats :-D

Thanks everyone!!! We are pretty excited. Since gay couples had no rights here, years ago we did wills, living wills etc. so that she can make decisions for me and vice versa. now, we will have rights like anyone else. do you know how that feels? it's great!!

Thanks everyone!!! We are pretty excited. Since gay couples had no rights here, years ago we did wills, living wills etc. so that she can make decisions for me and vice versa. now, we will have rights like anyone else. do you know how that feels? it's great!!
    It's something you should've had all along. *hugs* I'm so happy they finally made the right decision!!!! A friend of mine is gay, and she just came back a couple of years ago from serving in Afghanistan with the Army. (I watched her dogs for her, because it was the least I could do. Her GF wasn't living with her at the time and wasn't allowed to have animals where she was.) If, God forbid, something had happened to her, her girlfriend at the time wouldn't have had any rights to her body, no legal rights to make decisions for her, nothing. And that's not right. Besides, why should straight people be the only ones miserably....er....happily married?

"I just go here!"

PurrPurr Guest

It's hilarious to watch conservatives calling a conservative Supreme Court a Rogue Court of activist judges. I don't know why I just thought of this but you guys remember that christian music family that got into a fight with cops in that Wal Mart parking lot a few months back? I think a family member got killed and a cop got shot. For some reason I thought of that melee when I hear about the right wing in fighting over this. This is so good on SO many levels

Quote Originally Posted by PurrPurr View Post
    THIS. ^^^ This, all day long.

"I just go here!"

Changed my mind.
    Last edited by cindyt; 06-28-2015 at 05:22 AM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

The best friend I have in the world lives in Las Vegas. The second him and his partner got word that gay marriage was legal in Nevada they ran to City Hall to get the license. His partner pulled out of the garage so fast that my friend had a soda stain on his shirt. They were wed that night and they even made the news as being one of the first same sex couples to marry in Nevada even though they had a legal civil union.
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420

I have several friends on FB who traveled to other states to have civil services. At least one of them is planning to have a ceremony and I would imagine the others are two, but they haven't weighed in yet.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

endsleigh03 Guest
    Congrats to all who can now share the same legal rights as anyone else regarding marriage.

It just doesn't get better than news like this.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    Congratulation USA, it's about time
    It sure is!! BTW, when do you think there will ever be a black prime minister in England? Oops - nevermind. Wrong thread.
    Minerva

Quote Originally Posted by McCourt View Post
    It sure is!! BTW, when do you think there will ever be a black prime minister in England? Oops - nevermind. Wrong thread.
    He's canadian. The other London is London Ontario.

Unfortunately Texas is not acknowledging the courts ruling. Can't we please just give Texas back to Mexico?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/...ant/ar-AAcccqw

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I have several friends on FB who traveled to other states to have civil services. At least one of them is planning to have a ceremony and I would imagine the others are two, but they haven't weighed in yet.
    Same here. My Army friend I mentioned upthread is planning a ceremony now for her family and friends even as we speak. I believe she had traveled up to Iowa to get married because it was legal there but not in Missouri. Now that it is, she and her wife can celebrate publicly. I'm so happy for them, and for my other gay friend who is planning to marry his boyfriend. Everyone should have the same rights. Equality all around. Why should straight people get all the misery...er...happiness?

"I just go here!"

ria,your funny (misery part) anywhoo, I do not understand some of the butt-hurt ppl are over gays getting married. how is it hurting your life? how is it impacting you?? you don't want anyone coming into your bedroom, why come in to mine? (hope that made sense).

Before he posted the marriage license he had posted a pic of himself looking pretty buff. Now we know why. Everybody wants to look their best for their wedding. Congrats to Scott and all other folks who are able to finally get on legal paper what they have been feeling in their hearts and souls. Been married 37 years and it's fucking great...

Um, I don't know if that last line was supposed to be an unintentional pun or not.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

ria,your funny (misery part) anywhoo, I do not understand some of the butt-hurt ppl are over gays getting married. how is it hurting your life? how is it impacting you?? you don't want anyone coming into your bedroom, why come in to mine? (hope that made sense).
    Oh, yeah, I agree.
    Last edited by cindyt; 06-28-2015 at 05:21 AM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Made perfect sense. I don't understand it, either. Like I said in my post about it on FB, "Don't like gay marriage? Don't marry a gay person." The people who are spewing religion (not necessarily hate, just religion) don't realize that Christ wants us to love everyone regardless of their sins. Everyone sins, what makes one person's sin worse than someone else's? For example, how is my friend's gay sex a worse sin than my drinking on Friday nights? My drinking to the point of getting drunk on Friday nights? It's not. It's the same "level" of sin. There is no sin worse than another.

ETA: This is my post on Facebook:

"I am probably going to get a lot of hate for this, and unfriended by many. But I have to say this. It's about time. This should have never been an issue. Don't like gay marriage? Don't marry a gay person. Two men getting married won't ruin my marriage anymore than my neighbor down the street eating a doughnut won't ruin my diet. Those against gay marriage are spewing religion. But God wants us to love ALL of our neighbors, not just certain ones. Jesus wouldn't discriminate, and why should we? He wants us to love our gay neighbors, straight neighbors, drug addicted neighbors, alcoholic neighbors, black neighbors, atheist neighbors, pagan neighbors. Everyone. Love the sinner, hate the sin. And with that, I proudly support my gay friends getting married so much that I will make their wedding albums if they want me to."
    Last edited by RiaBrown; 06-27-2015 at 05:59 PM.

"I just go here!"

Wooohoo!
    "Death has come to your little town, Sheriff." -Dr. Loomis

I think its wonderful. 2 ppl in love of legal age and of no relation should be able to get married & cement their bond & love for one another .