View Poll Results: How do you feel about gay marriage?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • It should be legal

39 34.51%
  • It should not be legal

17 15.04%
  • Undecided

5 4.42%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567815 ... LastLast

Thread: Gay marriage, yay!

guardmom2008 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by More Cheese Please View Post
    Of course not! I applaud your candor and respect your opinion. Diversity of opinion and experience...open discussion of thoughts and an understanding of the complex circumstances that make us who we are and help to shape our beliefs... that is tantamount to tolerance of and respect for one another.
    I agree. We are all different and all have different opinions, and should not be judged.

RubySlippers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerak View Post
    LOL the kitty!!

omigosh...TOO FUNNY

Guest Guest
    I support gay marriage, and I was brought up a catholic, now a long time agnostic! I respect your opinion Dovie baby and still love ya!

**Jenna** Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dovescry1999 View Post
    I have a lot of friends, straight, gay, bi sexual(which means there greedy) Transgender, etc...
    But would you hate me if I didn't support gay marriage ?

The way I was brought up ,is not to judge people. I was also brought up in church, so my bible teaching is kinda strong.

I still love all In my life, I just can't deal with the whole marriage thing. Domestic partners, O.K. , with the benefits that married couple get, sure.
    But, I am against the whole concept of marriage, do to my upbring.

Will you hate me for my beliefs ?
    I don't hate ya for your beliefs.

dovescry1999 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladpyre View Post
    I support gay marriage, and I was brought up a catholic, now a long time agnostic! I respect your opinion Dovie baby and still love ya!
    I could smooch you till your lips go numb, my dear Prince...

dovescry1999 Guest
    The only people I hate, are Drag Queens...
    Because the bitches look better than me. (I need to get their makeup secrets, but those bitches make me more jealous than a female !)

(P.S.- The hate part is a joke. I'm just jealous...)
    Last edited by dovescry1999; 11-20-2008 at 03:59 PM. Reason: add,take away, who knows ?

MorbidMolly Guest
    Damn D........Aretha`s titties look like 2 midgets being smuggled in illegally......

djdeath-hag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dovescry1999 View Post
    I have a lot of friends, straight, gay, bi sexual(which means there greedy) Transgender, etc...
    But would you hate me if I didn't support gay marriage ?

The way I was brought up ,is not to judge people. I was also brought up in church, so my bible teaching is kinda strong.

I still love all In my life, I just can't deal with the whole marriage thing. Domestic partners, O.K. , with the benefits that married couple get, sure.
    But, I am against the whole concept of marriage, do to my upbring.

Will you hate me for my beliefs ?
    I don't hate you! As others have posted, I am a strong proponent of "to each their own". If you don't believe in gay marriage, marry someone of the opposite sex! Its that simple for me. When every American (or citizen of the world) has the freedom to marry and enjoy all of the benefits & downsides of what straight folks are awarded with....we shall be free.

With NO false pretext though, I am going to merge this into the pre-existing thread about gay marriage. We can agree to disagree & still be friends. IMHO this is something that should NEVER be an issue that is voted on. No other civil liberties that have been brought about have arrived by popular vote.....allowing all of us to marry the legal, consenting adult of our choosing, should be no different.

Flowergrrl Guest
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion... It is how you present that opinion that can become the problem. If we all liked or felt the same way... Things would get to be preeeeetttty freakin boring.

Flowergrrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Armcast View Post
    Haahaaa!!...

Guest Guest
    I don't hate you hon...but I will state my stance on this...it's food for thought

in THIS country, marriage is a CIVIL right, NOT a religious right, you have to have a license to make a marriage LEGAL, you do not have to believe in God for it to be legal, you do not have to be able to procreate to get married, you do not need the blessing of a church or even a blood test anymore in order to be married in the eyes of the LAW. Gay's and Lesbians pay their taxes, they are members of our communities and they should be able to exercise the same CIVIL RIGHT TO WED as straight people have.

okay stepping down off my box...I understand your views but I stand by mine, I will always vote for the right of gays and lesbians to exercise the same rights of the masses, but that's me, I'm a bed wetting liberal!

stinkythejokedog Guest
    could care less...marriage is not a sacred institution if you can be married 5 or 6 times

More Cheese Please Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkythejokedog View Post
    could care less...marriage is not a sacred institution if you can be married 5 or 6 times
    LMFAO!!! You are so correct Stinkers.....

How about 8 times?.....

djdeath-hag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dearheart View Post
    I don't hate you hon...but I will state my stance on this...it's food for thought

in THIS country, marriage is a CIVIL right, NOT a religious right, you have to have a license to make a marriage LEGAL, you do not have to believe in God for it to be legal, you do not have to be able to procreate to get married, you do not need the blessing of a church or even a blood test anymore in order to be married in the eyes of the LAW. Gay's and Lesbians pay their taxes, they are members of our communities and they should be able to exercise the same CIVIL RIGHT TO WED as straight people have.

okay stepping down off my box...I understand your views but I stand by mine, I will always vote for the right of gays and lesbians to exercise the same rights of the masses, but that's me, I'm a bed wetting liberal!
    Thank you DearHeart! I couldn't have said it better or in a more intelligent manner. Maybe cause I've been a bed wetting gay liberal for all of my adult life.....or maybe just because you are right as rain!

Flowergrrl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkythejokedog View Post

How about 8 times?.....
    Hahaa!... So true! I know people who got married within a matter of weeks of meeting someone... Not saying it doesn't work but, I'm sure it would be rare if it did.

Marriage is a commitment and it sucks when you're married to someone who doesn't have the same values you have of it. They don't want to work the situation out and never contribute their time or consideration... That's so lame.

And Dearheart, what an excellent post! When if we are supposed to have equal rights will it ever be truly equal?!!

16. 11-20-2008, 07:18 PM
    Reason
    choked

dovescry1999 Guest

How about 8 times?.....

I think she's a Succubus !
    She gets younger looking everytime she marries...
    But, it's been a while, right ?

dovescry1999 Guest
    Besides, anyone who has read any of my other posts, know I have a thing for gay men. So, I wouln't marry anyway.

Guest Guest
    Thank You Thank You....I'll be running for President in 2016...why 8 years from now...BECAUSE OBAMA WILL WILL A 2ND TERM! I wouldn't stand a chance against him!...lmao!

my question for the extreme wing is this...what's the big deal to you? how are gays marrying going to affect your rights? because they won't affect anyone's rights but their OWN!

fultondyke Guest
    I respect your opinion, Doves, and I don't hold it against you, BUT...that being said...here's mine: 1)The institution of marriage predates most religious traditions
    2)The United States was founded upon the priciple of SEPARATION of church and state (an axiom which protects RELIGION as well as the state...3)Marriage, therefore, as defined by the laws of the U.S., is a CIVIL institution--as evidenced by the numerous marriage which take place in courthouses, in the presence of judges (without a whiff of religious ceremony)4)We gays and lesbians pay thetaxes which support these courthouses and pay these judges, JUST LIKE THE HETEROSEXUALS DO!!! 6)Domestic Partnerships don't afford couples the same protections and rights which marriage does (i.e. inheritence rights, insurance rights, parenting rights, etc.) 7)This country has a Bill of Rights insuring it's citizens the right to "Life, Liberty. and the Pursuit of Happiness" 8)The Declaration of Independence, which was written and issued in the effort to gain our national sovreignty, and whose words SHOULD be memorized, And held sacred, states: We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal ( It took a LONG timed for this country to learn that all people were created equal--regardless of RACE--now it's time to recognize that we gays and lesbians were ALSO created equal, and were meant by our CREATOR to be endowed with those inalienable rights which are listed in point#7).

So I say...considering that this land is open enough to embrace citizens of all races, all creeds ( including those who choose NOT to be religious), all colors...why can't I--a lesbian--be considered equal? I pay my taxes, I obey the laws, and try to help my community...Why am I not equal? Because that is REALLY what all this is about:Civil Rights...'derbingle' may not want to marry my partner and I in his church ( and I'm not attacking bingle, I'm just trying to make a point...), but I doubt many gays or lesbians would require his services...we 'queers of Faith' (yes, I AM a Christian--being gay and Christian are NOT mutually exclusive) have learned which churches welcome us, and which DO NOT...some of these same churches were closed to worshippers of different races, as well as couples in mixed race relationships in years' past (...and present).
    So, I'm done with my 'soapbox' now...Like I said before, I HATE NO ONE...and I hold no one's opinion against them. Like I have also stated in other posts before, I may not agree with what you say but I would give my life to defend your right to say it! THAT, my friends IS THE AMERICAN WAY!

I know NOTHING about the US Bill of Rights. Is there not something in that document that guarantees a right to free marriage? And if there is not, is an ammendmant in order?

djdeath-hag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    I know NOTHING about the US Bill of Rights. Is there not something in that document that guarantees a right to free marriage? And if there is not, is an ammendmant in order?
    Good point, Duster. What has been raised are state by state applications that endorse & allow same-sex marriages & those where State Constitutional Ammendments have been offered up to the voters. This is a big boil on my butt.....as it passed here in FL as well as in California. Additionally, recent voter driven legislation has taken place in AZ & in Arkansas.....the only good thing I can say about what the voters in AR have decided is that Florida is no longer the one & ONLY state that prohibits adoptions by gay & lesbians. It's not that I think that is a right choice, just that I feel slightly better knowing I don't live in the ONLY state that has such antiquated policies in place.

I hope that I've cleared this up for you & all of the other death hags who are not citizens of the U.S.

Armcast Guest

There is nothing in the US Constitution that guarantees a right to free marriage. Statutes involving marriage are left up to the individual states. However, the Constitution does have the 14th Ammendment that guarantees equal protection under the law.

This is the part that's scary to me...that people would be so willing to deny this guarantee to anyone even though they themselves are guaranteed this equal protection.

Again, those people are basically stating that there are indeed second-class citizens who are not worthy to enjoy rights given to us all.

djdeath-hag Guest
    Yup. What Arm said.......when civil rights were extended, enabling people of different races to legally marry, it was not left up to each state to decide.....otherwise, I've no doubt that a few would still not allow inter-racial marriages. The very thought that I *could* legally marry my partner in MA but not have that marriage recognized here in FL is ridiculous. How long would any other group of citizens tolerate this sort of legislative discrimination?!???

I always say as long as you're not hurting anyone/anything else, or yourself.. do whatever you'd like!
    Same thing applies here; if there are people who are gay and want to get married, go for it!
    So, Yea for me.

I guess this was merged with Doves thread and to that I say you are entitled to your opinion my dear lady!
    ??If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with.? - Michael Jackson

Armcast Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post
    Yup. What Arm said.......when civil rights were extended, enabling people of different races to legally marry, it was not left up to each state to decide.....otherwise, I've no doubt that a few would still not allow inter-racial marriages. The very thought that I *could* legally marry my partner in MA but not have that marriage recognized here in FL is ridiculous. How long would any other group of citizens tolerate this sort of legislative discrimination?!???

Dennis, these other groups will tolerate this discrimination until they themselves become targets and their rights are in danger.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    I appreciate your candor, doves, and certainly respect your views. I wouldn't be truthful though if I said I weren't dismayed.

Domestic partnerships and civil unions do not grant the rights and privileges in this country that marriage does. This has absolutely nothing to do with religious beliefs, it's strictly a civil matter. I don't believe that civil rights should be put up to a popular vote--no way, no how. Though I myself am a Christian, I vehemently support the complete and total separation of church and state.
    I would never expect a law to be passed (or my state constitution amended to uphold discrimination) based on my personal spiritual beliefs. I believe THAT is unconstitutional.

What the world needs now is love, sweet love. Not more divisiveness and discrimination ratified by religious dogma.

Armcast Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    What the world needs now is love, sweet love. Not more divisiveness and discrimination ratified by religious dogma.
    Very well said my friend. Very well said.

fultondyke Guest
    EXACTLY!!! There was a time in U.S. history when the federal government left the issue of SLAVERY up to the states...giving rise to the Civil War...The ONLY way the LGTB cvommunity will have rights nationally is for legislation/constitutional amendments to be passed! The broad language of the Constitution makes it SEEM like all U.S.citizens should have equal rights, but--as they say--the devil is in the details, and amendments have been needed to insure the rights of people of color, and we who are gay need specific, FEDERALLY mandated protection!

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Armcast View Post
    There is nothing in the US Constitution that guarantees a right to free marriage. Statutes involving marriage are left up to the individual states. However, the Constitution does have the 14th Ammendment that guarantees equal protection under the law.

This is the part that's scary to me...that people would be so willing to deny this guarantee to anyone even though they themselves are guaranteed this equal protection.

Again, those people are basically stating that there are indeed second-class citizens who are not worthy to enjoy rights given to us all.
    The Constitution is an amazing document in that it rings true as a litmus of a free society today....considering it was written by a bunch of white guys who felt confident that this voting thing and rights in general would be limited to property owning white guys like themselves.
    The thought of women , people of color and gay folks enjoying equal protection would have made them frothe at the mouth.
    Just ask Robert Bork!
    That is why who gets appointed to the Supreme Court is so dang important.
    Heading to Conn to get hitched to my sweetie right after Thanksgiving!
    Regards,
    mary
    Last edited by STsFirstmate; 11-21-2008 at 05:43 AM. Reason: spelling

ghoulgurl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kmed1971 View Post
    I think gay people have the right to be miserable just like straight people. lol. Let 'em get married.
    My line of reasoning exactly! Also just for the legalities e.g. being able to visit in a hospital or making end of life decisions, property issues, etc.

I'm all for gay marriage. I came out at age 18, I am bisexual and I want to get married one day when I'm ready. I've had alot of rubbish thrown at me for the people I date and I dont care what people think of me, I am happy with who I am and I cant lie to make them happy. I think marriage should be for everyone who wants to marry, not just straight people. I know a few straight people who got married, were together a year and got divored. They never seem to stick at it, they have one fight and its over. So I say YES to gay marriage!

Layla331 Guest
    everyone should have the same rights in the united states...in the world,...its really not something i get as being an issue..crazy world

i was married 17 yrs ago..and we honeymooned in canada..and the couple sitting at the table next to us had gotten married on the same day.. they were the sweetest men id ever met...and to this day we keep in touch...and they are still together with children and so happy..i just dont think ill ever get the issue...love is love..people need to stop judging and just start living..if you dont believe in gay marriage..than dont marry a gay person...just dont choose for everyone else..

My godfather is gay and drag and married. They look beautiful in their wedding photo. I'm all for.
    ??You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone. Close the door on the past. You don't try to forget the mistakes, but you don't dwell on it. You don't let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space.?

Giada Guest

Newsweek ... Gay Marriage

Loved this article .... I keep sayin' the more mainstream we can be the less of an issue it becomes ... .

Close to my heart 'cause I have family member's who are gay and a gay son, whose partner is lovingly referred to as my favorite, "daughter in law."

http://www.newsweek.com/id/172653/page/1

silverwaif77 Guest
    I hope someday soon this will no longer be an issue since it is no one's business who loves who. I am horrified that there are still so many people who are filled with hate in this country, and in this day and age. Banning gay marriage is also unconstitutional, I hope this will soon be realized in my state (california) and couples will be allowed to marry.

OCEANLIGHTS Guest
    I think the word 'marriage' is what has everyone in a tissy. Call it a 'union', might be easier for 'them' to accept. Gays want to be reconized and accepted just as the straight couples are. The same rights and benefits ..that's all.

STsFirstmate Guest

Just Hitched

My partner and I were married by a lovely sweet JP in Greenwich Conn. this past Weds.
    We have been together 13 years and we both cried we were so happy. I can tell you it meant the world to us!
    I ave been amazed at how happy my co-workers have been for me. They were all really excited. We didn't tell anyone we were doing it until after the ceremony and people were really unhappy we didn't let them know.
    Regards, Mary
    (very happy wife of Elise)

Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    My partner and I were married by a lovely sweet JP in Greenwich Conn. this past Weds.
    We have been together 13 years and we both cried we were so happy. I can tell you it meant the world to us!
    I ave been amazed at how happy my co-workers have been for me. They were all really excited. We didn't tell anyone we were doing it until after the ceremony and people were really unhappy we didn't let them know.
    Regards, Mary
    (very happy wife of Elise)
    Congratulations!!! I hope you have a long, happy marriage.
    "Dying is just nature's way of saying, hey, you're not alive anymore!"

Sam Guest
    Personally at 53 I've given up on finding another husband, but I do hope Gay people can be legally married in the U.S.

xenaswolf Guest
    Gratz Mary and Elise!

Forever-27 Guest

Offical Call into work Gay Day

Most of the people in the gay or lesbian community know about this. Today in another protest of Prop 8 is Call Into -Today! This is part of the symbolic statement by the LGBT community that society may try to deny them equal rights but gays say surely in return can deny them our labor and money? impacting the economy. I dont know how effective this might be but im aware of 3 people who are gay and one lesbian who will be taking part in this. Its supposedly going on across the US. As much as its a valant effort I dont think right now with the economy in the crapper is the right time for this. But then again im a straight male, wtf do I know.

Thoughts ...

They shouldn't do it. They can be fired. Not for being gay, but for calling in without a valid excuse for missing work. There's gonna be a lot of pissed of gays that don't have jobs after today.

GrinReaper Guest
    Are straights supposed to be in solidarity and miss work too?
    Is Scott giving tours today? (I wouldn't hold it against him if he is.)

Who really are they hurting except themselves by calling in sick to work today? This action alone is not going to get prop 8 reversed.
    Wanna see my grandkids?

Guest Guest
    I wanted to call outta work ~ but I'm not gay (notthattheresanythingwrongwiththat).

I'll use any excuse to get out of work

RubySlippers Guest
    i understand why they would do it but it would think it a bad idea.
    there was a company where it had a significant percentage of Muslims who wanted a holiday off, but the company didn't budge - so the employees called in.
    they were all asked not to come back and the employees viewed it as discrimination, even though they knew it was more to prove a point than anything.

damn i so would of called in today, i use any reason i can find. ha ha.
    "I'm not great at the advice, can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?"

rickenbacker Guest
    One of my co-workers mentioned this. I hadn't heard of it, but I'm not gay. Quite frankly, in podunk here, there's not a lot of gays/lesbians. We wouldn't notice!

I personally prefer to call in stupid. "Well, you better stay home, we don't want anyone else getting stupid!".

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacker View Post
    I personally prefer to call in stupid. "Well, you better stay home, we don't want anyone else getting stupid!".
    And here, ladies and gentlemen, is my next excuse!!!

Dying Breath Guest
    I was to scared to call in for the whole day.. So I called in BI and went in at lunch.