View Poll Results: How do you feel about gay marriage?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • It should be legal

39 34.51%
  • It should not be legal

17 15.04%
  • Undecided

5 4.42%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Gay marriage, yay!

hotmama Guest
    shit, someone has to get married. we straight people ain't tying the knot much. we rather live together and act married instead of going ahead with it. but the gays will see Why some straight people do not want to marry. people change once they have papers on ya. i say marry your ass off i ain't mad at cha.

ozzysmom Guest
    Here in America ALL of us have the right to life, liberty AND the pursuit of happiness. Gay people are included in this, let them pursue happiness!!!!!!!! There are alot of things they don't have the right to do because they cannot get married. For example, they are not considered next of kin, therefore cannot make life saving medical decisions for their mate. Then there are insurance and pension issues. Personally my belief is, if you love someone and want to marry them then you should be able to do it.

Remember, God is Love! I believe nothing makes Him happier than seeing love in action!

ok, I'll get down off my soapbox now.

Ms. K Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    hmm, well ive hesitated to post an opinion about the issue here out of fear of starting a firestorm. But I am against the ruling in California personally. The idea has been pitched to the voters 3 times in the last 4 elections and despite how great people say it may be to be legalized, the propsition was shot down every time by the people. The anit-gay marrage groups have come out of the walls collecting sum 4 million signatures so again, it will be put to the voters of California in an effort to overthrow the judges ruling. It will be on the november California ballot.

However California is a trendsetting state. What starts here gets picked up by other states. ( Discrimination against smokers, The Seat Belt law, The Motorcycle Helmet law , ect ) So theres no doubt other states are watching this closely. But worried about it, no not hardly. The war, well I dont know anybody in iraq or afghanistan but im for the war personally and support bush's war on terror, cancer... well i smoke a carton of cigarettes a week so no, cancer dosent worry me either , what worries me, I cant go outside after dark here, Oaklands murder rate is sky high, having to stay indoors after dark out of fear ... that worries me.
    It's really not going to matter if it gets put on a ballot in November.

I'll tell you why. It's already been ruled unconstitutional to ban gay marriage, for the same reason that Jim Crow laws and segregation have been ruled unconstitutional. It is unconstitutional for the majority to make laws that are intended to deny civil rights to the minority. Period.

So, just like the people who went apeshit when Jim Crow laws were overturned? The people who are okay with denying gay people the same rights to marry as straight people are going to have to GET OVER IT.

Chevyheaven Guest

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    hmm, well ive hesitated to post an opinion about the issue here out of fear of starting a firestorm. But I am against the ruling in California personally. The idea has been pitched to the voters 3 times in the last 4 elections and despite how great people say it may be to be legalized, the propsition was shot down every time by the people. The anit-gay marrage groups have come out of the walls collecting sum 4 million signatures so again, it will be put to the voters of California in an effort to overthrow the judges ruling. It will be on the november California ballot.

However California is a trendsetting state. What starts here gets picked up by other states. ( Discrimination against smokers, The Seat Belt law, The Motorcycle Helmet law , ect ) So theres no doubt other states are watching this closely. But worried about it, no not hardly. The war, well I dont know anybody in iraq or afghanistan but im for the war personally and support bush's war on terror, cancer... well i smoke a carton of cigarettes a week so no, cancer dosent worry me either , what worries me, I cant go outside after dark here, Oaklands murder rate is sky high, having to stay indoors after dark out of fear ... that worries me.

Welcome to "Discrimination USA"
    I would hope that the liberals here in CA would over take these bible thumpers. I would like to see them do something constructive for a change tho, instead of worrying about people smoking, and them handing out condoms to middle school children,and helemets and seatbelts, clean up these high crime areas so people can feel safe in their own homes ,that they would give all people the same rights as the constitution affords us. If that would ever go thru then I say all Gays stop paying taxes, if the constitution does not apply to them only the people that do it missionary style then why should they pay taxes? Whatever they try to do I will find out where those that disagree with them can swamp Arnie with all kinds of emails and petitions ourselves.
    I don't think the people have the right to deny others their rights period,or to shove their religious beliefs into the governemnt.
    I would like to see all gays that want this passed get on buses ,trains,planes and march into CA. I can tell you they would be more than 4 million strong. Sooner or later the shit has got to stop, and I hope it stops with a ruling from the supreme court, and not with a pack of bigots.
    I may be straight but I believe in freedom and equal rights for all.

RoRo Guest
    all I can say is I am all for gay marriage...if two same sex people love each other they should be able to be legally married and have all the benefits of man/woman marriages. Who the hell does it hurt?? No One!! I think if you are lucky enough to find love at all you should be able to have everything that goes with it!! Personally, I don't think the government or the church should have a say in it!

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. K View Post

I'll tell you why. It's already been ruled unconstitutional to ban gay marriage, for the same reason that Jim Crow laws and segregation have been ruled unconstitutional. It is unconstitutional for the majority to make laws that are intended to deny civil rights to the minority. Period.

So, just like the people who went apeshit when Jim Crow laws were overturned? The people who are okay with denying gay people the same rights to marry as straight people are going to have to GET OVER IT.
    Amen.

Smackman Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebear71 View Post
    My personal view of gay marriage is not important here. I would merely like to point out that I find it interesting that a forum of people that claim to be progressive, open minded, and respectful, would be so quick to pile ANY person that presents an opposing viewpoint. If you don't want the answer, don't ask the question!

Agreed.

Openminded-ness is not a one way street.

Smackman Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    What I find amusing is the number of people in the senate or other government agencies that are against it for religious reasons have been married and divorced several times. If memory serves, isn't divorce a sin? Also, we have to remember that not too many years ago, marriages of opposite races was deemed immoral as well. If you are against it, wonderful! Just remember that the next time you are caught with a gay prostitute. ( I address that to people in government agencies ).

I agree with you here... Whether someone is for against something, they had better be consistent...

It just amazes me as liberal and laid back, and with a HUGE Gay population in California, that there would be SO many people opposed to the Gay marriage thing.

Like I said in another post, I could take it or leave it. I really don't care about the Gay marriage thing - and I'm Gay.

11. 05-20-2008, 06:39 AM

DisneyStacy Guest
    I am new to this thread (and board) but I have to come in and chime in with a big fat huge YEA. Straight people have entirely destroyed the sanctity of marriage, gays certainly can't do any worse.

Plus, gay men have far too much taste to get married by the likes of Elvis look a likes so that in and of itself has got to help.

Yea
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

djdeath-hag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyStacy View Post
    I am new to this thread (and board) but I have to come in and chime in with a big fat huge YEA. Straight people have entirely destroyed the sanctity of marriage, gays certainly can't do any worse.

Plus, gay men have far too much taste to get married by the likes of Elvis look a likes so that in and of itself has got to help.
    Welcome to the thread....and the forum, Stacy! (I'd have given just as warm of a welcome even if you'd expressed a very different point of view.) I'm giggling at the very THOUGHT of being married by Elvis. I can almost picture it, if we're talking about Jop's pug, Elvis. One of those Vegas Elvis impersonators, nahh not gonna happen!

OCEANLIGHTS Guest
    I feel that if they took the word 'marriage' out of the picture and instead called it a 'union' it would go over a lot easier for the general population. Gays just want to be able to be included in their partner's health insurance, any benefits the straight world takes for granted. Just my thoughts....

Smackman Guest
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ms. K

Amen.

I am straight. I have many friends and family members who are gay. I love them all. I can honestly say that I don't understand, if that is the correct word, their sexual orientation, but I accept them for who they are, just as they accept me for who I am. To me, it doesn't matter if a person is gay or not. In my mind, the person being gay doesn't make the person who they are.

One may not agree with gay marriage, straight marriage, whites, blacks, hunting, rainbow sherbet, foreign cars, domestic cars, frisbees... Whatever. It's OK not to agree with things. It's OK to debate with others about those disagreements. What is NOT OK is when someone is hurtful, physically, emotionally, any way, to someone else because of their beliefs.

Even if one didn't "agree" with gay marriage (i.e. on a moral/religious basis, or ???), these are still people, who are in loving relationships, and should have the same rights as any other human being in the United States has.

On the polical side, if you're truly going to truly separate Church from State, how could you not legalize gay marriages?

VERY well said, Smackman.

By the way, Elvis IS available for weddings, funerals, bar/batz mitvahs AND if notified within 24 hours, he can officiate a briss.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

djdeath-hag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    VERY well said, Smackman.

By the way, Elvis IS available for weddings, funerals, bar/batz mitvahs AND if notified within 24 hours, he can officiate a briss.
    These things are good to know, thanks Carolyn! Pet the pugchild for me.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    It just amazes me as liberal and laid back, and with a HUGE Gay population in California, that there would be SO many people opposed to the Gay marriage thing.

Like I said in another post, I could take it or leave it. I really don't care about the Gay marriage thing - and I'm Gay.
    Don't forget Aries that millions counted among California's population are NOT in S.F. or L.A...they're in the central valley...which is most definitely NOT a liberal stronghold. Also, Orange County and San Diego are fairly solidly conservative--so I'd venture a guess that California as a whole has a much larger conservative population than a liberal one. When you talk about California, you're talking about a state that is as diverse in political beliefs as it is in cultural tradition--it is anything BUT a liberal stronghold.

We have a Republican governor, and have had many before him (George Deukmejian, Pete Wilson, Ronald Reagan)...and that's not by accident. Remember also, the last Democratic governor we had was unceremoniously thrown out on his ass by special election.

Personally, I think the issue will not only be on our ballot in November, but it will be the MAJOR bone of contention on that ballot. And it WILL pass, and that makes me very, very sad...not to mention angry...

Smackman Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    Don't forget Aries that millions counted among California's population are NOT in S.F. or L.A...they're in the central valley...which is most definitely NOT a liberal stronghold. Also, Orange County and San Diego are fairly solidly conservative--so I'd venture a guess that California as a whole has a much larger conservative population than a liberal one. When you talk about California, you're talking about a state that is as diverse in political beliefs as it is in cultural tradition--it is anything BUT a liberal stronghold.

We have a Republican governor, and have had many before him (George Deukmejian, Pete Wilson, Ronald Reagan)...and that's not by accident. Remember also, the last Democratic governor we had was unceremoniously thrown out on his ass by special election.

Personally, I think the issue will not only be on our ballot in November, but it will be the MAJOR bone of contention on that ballot. And it WILL pass, and that makes me very, very sad...not to mention angry...
    I believe states such as California, Illinois, and NY are characterized as liberal quite mistakenly. The major population centers of those states are very liberal (LA, Chicago, NYC), but the rest of the areas are quite conservative.

Ron Burgundy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    We have a Republican governor
    At least we did when we elected him...not sure now.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    At least we did when we elected him...not sure now.
    LOL...true that!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
    According to the rules of this forum only statements affirming homosexuality will be permitted. That is a shame since it prohibits us from a free exchange of ideas as it relates to this topic.
    YAWN

God bless those Queen James lovers

Saddly though what you have in mind isnt the free exchange of ideas its combative myway or Gods supposed way ideas dipped in a bottle of heavy thick ass eating ignorance.
    Last edited by Opeth32; 06-06-2008 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Forgot too add something

24. 06-06-2008, 12:40 AM

Armcast Guest

Armcast Guest

tuesdays_jupiter Guest
    Pro gay marriage, marriage vows aren't in the Christian bible.

octobersky Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Armcast View Post

That just about says it all.

Tracyb24 Guest
    I come from a tiny little southern town where everyone is closed minded. I was raised to be a racist and antihomosexual. I never bought it though. I saw nothing wrong with people just being who they are therefore, I think people are people no matter what. Everyone should have the same rights.

octobersky Guest
    I am for same sex marriage. No person regardless of race, sex, nationality, sexual orientation, etc should ever be discriminated against. We are all created equal. That is the bottom line. I am lucky to have never been discriminated against but I see it happen to my best friend plenty. Include me getting beat up along with him because he is gay. I will never understand how people can have hatred toward people they don't even know.

I know several same sex couples who have a much stronger, healthier and long lasting relationship than some opposite sex couples I know.

octobersky Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tracyb24 View Post
    i saw nothing wrong with people just being who they are therefore, i think people are people no matter what. Everyone should have the same rights.
    well said!

Cettie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tuesdays_jupiter View Post
    Pro gay marriage, marriage vows aren't in the Christian bible.
    My Christian Bible also says in Matthew 7 "Judge not lest ye be judged", a point my fundamentalist sister doesn't adhere to for some reason. I am a minister, legally ordained and licensed. If two people come to me and tell me they wish to be united as one for the duration of their lives I will indeed perform the ceremony for them, whether it be a legal marriage or a committment ceremony--dependent on the legal issues in whichever state they're in. I leave the judgement to God and I'm certainly not bucking for his job, I have enough on my own plate.

Nerak Guest
    YEA

Giada Guest
    I love the Wanda Sykes line ....

"If you're against gay marriage, very simple, don't marry one."

Bottom line ...this is a human rights issue, marry, civil unions, domestic partnerships ... people need to be who they are and do what they do regardless of the religious beliefs of any group.

The various religions do not own the word, "marriage," but have every right to define the word within their belief system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage

I'm in favor of gay choice ... and support.

STsFirstmate Guest

It Will Never Be Voted In

In the interest of full disclosure I am a lesbian in a 13 year relationship and we are getting hitched in Conn. this month.
    So you know where I stand on the issue. That being said it will never be passed by popular referendum. Not a single piece of meaningfull civil rights legislation from the Voting Rights Act on has been passed by popular vote. All civil change has been through legislation and judicial interperatation.
    Truman integrated the troops, LBJ signed the Voting Act etc. None of it was voted on because trust me in the era when they happened it would never have survived a popular vote.
    I am not sure civil rights legislation would even survive a popular referendum today everywhere. Some town in Oklahoma refused to run any story indicating Obama won the presidency. They instead ran a story stating that McCain carried that county the end!
    It will have to come from legislation and the courts before it is all finally settled.
    I just hope Elise and I are around to see the day!
    regards,
    Mary

DisneyStacy Guest
    Big fat huge YEA from me!

dovescry1999 Guest

Would you hate me if I didn't support Gay Marriage ?

I have a lot of friends, straight, gay, bi sexual(which means there greedy) Transgender, etc...
    But would you hate me if I didn't support gay marriage ?

The way I was brought up ,is not to judge people. I was also brought up in church, so my bible teaching is kinda strong.

I still love all In my life, I just can't deal with the whole marriage thing. Domestic partners, O.K. , with the benefits that married couple get, sure.
    But, I am against the whole concept of marriage, do to my upbring.

Will you hate me for my beliefs ?
    Last edited by dovescry1999; 11-20-2008 at 03:24 PM. Reason: spelling

RubySlippers Guest
    not hate. my husband is the same way and we have several family members who are gay. i will say disappointed. other than that, i still love him - and you.

Armcast Guest
    I definitely wouldn't hate you. However I would ask you if you would stand in the way of two people who love each other to enter in that commitment.

I would hate you.

(j/k...of course not. )

dovescry1999 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Armcast View Post
    I definitely wouldn't hate you. However I would ask you if you would stand in the way of two people who love each other to enter in that commitment.
    No...
    I would not stand in thier way. Love is love...
    But, I just can't support it I would still love them,treat them as the human species that we all are, I just could not support it, if it were a ballot issue here.

Nerak Guest
    You are most definitley entitled to you opinion, I don't hate anybody :-)
    I may disagree, but wouldn't hold that against you, diversity makes the world go round, so long as we can all be tolerant of each other beliefs, I think its all good.

dovescry1999 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerak View Post
    You are most definitley entitled to you opinion, I don't hate anybody :-)
    I may disagree, but wouldn't hold that against you, diversity makes the world go round, so long as we can all be tolerant of each other beliefs, I think its all good.
    I would kiss you, if you were here...

Nerak Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dovescry1999 View Post
    I would kiss you, if you were here...
    hahaha right back at ya! xx

Nerak Guest
    off topic...OMG dovescry, your avatar!!!LMAO TOO FREAKN FUNNY!!

RubySlippers Guest

BAHAHAHAHA! oops, sorry. off topic but sooooo funny!

Curl_up_N_dye Guest
    I know others who love gay people but don't agree with the idea of a legally binding marriage. I have even heard gays say they don't agree with gays being able to marry. It's a very personal opinion and IMO has nothing to do with the tolerance or intolerance of gay people.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Why would anyone hate you silly.....you are a human being with beliefs and feelings like the rest of us........you already stated you wouldn`t stand in anyone`s way that wanted to make that commitment......for me it is a personal issue, as is any marriage.......many probably don`t agree with my marriage because it is bi-racial, but as long as they stay out of my business, we`ll have no problems......you have to look at yourself in the mirror every night......not I....and you, and only you, know your heart and the reasons you believe the way you do.....

dovescry1999 Guest
    You talking about the Kitty, or the Titties ?
    Last edited by dovescry1999; 11-20-2008 at 03:47 PM. Reason: change: it's for the better...

RubySlippers Guest
    Yep...
    She may be the queen of soul, but she needs a freakin stylist!
    Big titties should be cherished, not caue to blind or maim someone...

no no no - the kitty!

More Cheese Please Guest
    Of course not! I applaud your candor and respect your opinion. Diversity of opinion and experience...open discussion of thoughts and an understanding of the complex circumstances that make us who we are and help to shape our beliefs... that is tantamount to tolerance of and respect for one another.

Nerak Guest
    You talking about the Kitty, or the Titties ?
    LOL the kitty!!