View Poll Results: How do you feel about gay marriage?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • It should be legal

39 34.51%
  • It should not be legal

17 15.04%
  • Undecided

5 4.42%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 61314151617 LastLast

Thread: Gay marriage, yay!

lisalouver Guest
    Its on the way to the Senate floor here in Minnesota and our Gov has stated he will sign it.

If all goes well, it should be legal here by August 1st

I'm all for it, it's been legal in Toronto (Ontario) since June 2003, almost 10 yrs. the other provinces followed suit, Alberta being one of the last ,I believe in 2005.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

We have had many American couples coming here over the years to get married, and I agree with you, it would be nice to have that option in your own state. Hopefully one day it will no longer be an issue, but you can always come here and do it,and you would be welcomed !
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Giada Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    Its on the way to the Senate floor here in Minnesota and our Gov has stated he will sign it.

If all goes well, it should be legal here by August 1st
    Congratulations! Illinois is next! ...

Giada Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    I'm all for it, it's been legal in Toronto (Ontario) since June 2003, almost 10 yrs. the other provinces followed suit, Alberta being one of the last ,I believe in 2005.
    One can hope our Supreme Court has a favorable eye toward Canada

radiojane Guest
    Wow, I guess it HAS been a decade since we legalized it. It's the norm here, so I have to give my head a shake whenever this comes up again. Yay Delaware!

Regardless of how you feel one way or another, a vote on an issue in a democracy shouldn't be overturned. Does it suck that it was voted down? Hell yes, but it was put to a vote. And you know what? the blaming of the church gets old really really fast. Two things: There are a lot of Christians/Catholics/Fundamentalists whatever you want to call them that have not and will never oppose gay marriage. There are many who believe love is sacred and that everyone should be allowed to have their relationship made official, or even just take a "hate the sin, love the sinner" approach. And you know what? Everyone is entitled to their religious beliefs, and if they choose to believe that homosexuality is immoral, then for fuck sakes, pity their ignorance, but don't sink to their level and sling mud. The most powerful statement I have ever heard on the subject was not "screw the uptight fucking useless, bigoted church" (which is a resounding battle cry around here), but what I heard a gay teen here say in response to a christian woman who told him she was praying he would see the light and give up his deviant ways: " I respect your religion and your right to it, and I believe you are praying for me because you want the best for me. But remember that I am also praying that your eyes will be opened to the fact that I am not doing anything wrong by being who I am."

I do hope so, it should no longer be an issue... anywhere !

Well said ! Being Catholic myself, I've never let the church dictate how I live my life. I have my beliefs, but it's between the higher power and myself in the end.

I agree 100% Radio. But the thing is the U.S. isn't a true democracy in my opinion. But even in that pretense the bill can be manipulated in a manner that would cause supporters to still vote against it. Sometimes it's a matter of trying again but sometimes it will and should be taken out of the hands of the majority. Trust me when I tell you I say this hesitantly. I'm not anti government but I don't like much about many different forms of it. Of course I don't have the answers so feel free to view me as an idiot. Refer to my signature
    I am the king of all things stupid!

radiojane Guest
    I don't think you're an idiot, and I'm not an expert on US politics. But I know enough about human nature to venture the guess that bigotry and repression play a pretty big role in the resistance. It may be manipulated to some extent, but I think good old fashioned hate was a big part of it

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    its insulting to equate marriage between two consulting adults of the same sex to pedophilia and bestialit y. its also insulting that basic rights aren't given but put up to a vote.
    What Ich said!!

Quote Originally Posted by McMorbid View Post
    Well I assumed that people would understand my statement better than that. Obviously I was talking about consenting adults. I will amend my earlier post so no one gets too confused.
    I knew what you meant.

I'm certainly no expert myself. In fact a better term for me would be something along the lines of opinionated jackass. Whatever the case I hope that people will change and grow at a faster rate. It's just outright ridiculous that a person or persons would be denied equal rights based on one's sexual preference. Excluding sexual predators. We as a whole have made great stride across the world in the equal rights movement. It's time to seal the deal and include ALL people and ALL nations.
    Last edited by McMorbid; 05-13-2013 at 07:35 PM.
    I am the king of all things stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by McMorbid View Post
    I'm certainly no expert myself. In fact a better term for me would be something along the lines of opinionated jackass. Whatever the case I hope that people will change and grow at a faster rate. It's just outright ridiculous that a person or persons would be denied equal rights based on one's sexual preference. Excluding sexual predators. We as a whole have made great stride across the world in the equal rights movement. It's time to seal the deal and include ALL people and ALL nations.
    Well said

lisalouver Guest
    Passed the Senate here in MN - its LEGAL!!!!

Gov Mark Dayton will sign it tomorrow and the City of St Paul has a HUGE party planned downtown tomorrow, I am SO there!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    Passed the Senate here in MN - its LEGAL!!!!

Gov Mark Dayton will sign it tomorrow and the City of St Paul has a HUGE party planned downtown tomorrow, I am SO there!!!!

Does this mean all straight people have to marry within their own sex?!?!?

omgomgomogomgom!!1!!!1!
    "Death has come to your little town, Sheriff." -Dr. Loomis

I am SOOOOO proud of our state!! 12th to legalize gay marriage!! YAY!!! I so wish I had gone down over to St. Paul to join in the festivities. They are still going on for a couple more hours. It's truly a great day here.

I hope Alaska will legalize it at some point. My cousin just asked her partner to marry her and they are going to have to go to WA to get married. I hope someday that gay people in ALL states will have equal rights.

radiojane Guest
    Alaska is high on my list too. My exes' ex... (convoluted much), came out after they split, and she's engaged to a girl from Alaska who's currently working in Canada. She wants to move home, but of course the process to take her fiance with her is insane since she can't be sponsored as a spouse.

Joee Guest
    If Alaska legalizes it and you go to Anchorage to celebrate be sure to stop in at Mad Myrnas. While on layover,that turned into extended layover when the airplane broke, I stumbled in there due to it's proximity to our hotel; the people were super nice and the drinks were cheap.
    I went into the bar because I thought it was a Myrna Loy theme, and I'm a big fan, but it turns out Mad Myrna is some sort of local alternative icon. Anyway, I appreciated their hospitality.

Quote Originally Posted by Giada View Post
    " SCOTUS is not prepared to take on the issue of the 14th Amendment at this time, (Loving v Virginia, 1968), but within the next five years we may well see Olson and Boies address the issue again.
    Even though chances are they won't ever admit it, gonna take a guess that this is due to what could happen say if SCOTUS would say "..all states must allow same sex marriages"...aka..the aftermath. Would gay bashing increase a lot due to the decision like say for example two lesbians would get married in a state such as Arkansas, would there be possible violence ?? Those who were very much against same sex marriages, would there be those who take their own lives simple because they can't handle same sex marriages ?? I know that may sound silly but I am thinking about those along the lines of that couple I had read about during the prop 8 vote who lived in Utah, taking out a big loan to help fight against gay marriage in a state they didn't even live in. If gay marriage must be allowed, such a couple and their kids taking their own lives just may not be that much of a shocker. This sort of thing is a reason why for a long time many of those on both sides of this issue felt that the "state vote" ( baby steps ) is best.

I wouldn't much care if someone had taken their own life when interracial marriage was legalized because they couldn't handle it (I mean seriously, get some real issues that actually affect you) so I wouldn't really care if someone did if for this stupid reason. The violence aspect I can see. I wonder if there was an increase in violence on interracial (particularly black and white) couples when that was legalized. Sorry to keep using that as an example but I see it as the exact same thing, an equally ridiculous situation that was (or is still in many states) ever not allowed between two consenting adults.

That's just it. It all boils down to equality. I'm for equality across the board. I have no problem with blacks marrying whites, girls marrying girls, boys marrying boys. Let 'em get married because their marriages aren't hurting mine. In fact, I have a gay friend who's engaged to be married, and a white friend going with a black guy. Doesn't matter to me. If she's happy, I'm happy for her. If he's an asshat, she cay cry on my shoulder, I got two of 'em. My gay friend who's engaged? They live a few hours south of me and are coming to town next month. I have invited them to dinner.

What DOES matter to me is how the couple treats each other. If one's a douchenozzle to the other, THEN I got a problem with it. And my problem will have nothing to do with their gay or interracial marriage, but with the one's douchebaggery. (And I'm prepared for the one being a peniswrinkle to play the gay card.) 'Cuz I think everyone deserves to be with the one they love and be happy no matter who that is. Now, if someone wants to marry my cat, then I got a problem with it. He's an asshole. LOL But c'mon now folks. Underneath everything we all bleed red.
    "Tequila may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot."

"I just go here!"

"I am not psychic. I AM psychotic. BIG difference."

Giada Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by choff View Post
    Even though chances are they won't ever admit it, gonna take a guess that this is due to what could happen say if SCOTUS would say "..all states must allow same sex marriages"...aka..the aftermath. Would gay bashing increase a lot due to the decision like say for example two lesbians would get married in a state such as Arkansas, would there be possible violence ?? Those who were very much against same sex marriages, would there be those who take their own lives simple because they can't handle same sex marriages ?? I know that may sound silly but I am thinking about those along the lines of that couple I had read about during the prop 8 vote who lived in Utah, taking out a big loan to help fight against gay marriage in a state they didn't even live in. If gay marriage must be allowed, such a couple and their kids taking their own lives just may not be that much of a shocker. This sort of thing is a reason why for a long time many of those on both sides of this issue felt that the "state vote" ( baby steps ) is best.
    Good point in the calming decision. Keep in mind even in the states rights decision, we are powerful both economically and influentially, (CA).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gayclutter.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	281.5 KB 
ID:	47018
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gayclutter.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	281.5 KB 
ID:	47018
    May we have your gay business, please.

I think it's great that more businesses are openly marketing to the gay population.

Enoch Powell Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    What are you talking about?
    What are YOU talking about?

Supreme Courts says "yea".
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

I'm undecided because I don't even like STRAIGHT marriage, LOL...don't see marriage in MY future. But if you all LOVE each other, than I support that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here one day, Gone one night, Gone too soon...
    Missing you forever...

Prydekitty Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by derbingle View Post
    Alright, I'll bite.
    I'm against homosexual marriage. Why?
    First, I'm a pastor and can't see my way through, or around, the obvious Biblical prohibition on same sex relationships. I also am smart enough to know that many don't share my beliefs. However, I also am smart enough to know that there are all sorts of people out there that are in same sex relationships. And you won't find me saying any of the stupid shit that those who disagree with me might put in my mouth. I firmly believe that God loves all people, but that does not mean that He approves of what we do.
    From a practical perspective, it is true that I am concerned about what it may mean for me in a practical sense when, notice that I said "when" not if, same sex marriage becomes legal throughout the US. I hold a view that will be seen as discriminatory and already is seen that way by many in this forum. Will I be forced to bless a relationship that I don't think matches God's expectations for us? I simply cannot as a matter of conscience preside at a same sex "marriage" ceremony.
    More later if wanted.
    Good thing in the US no one is forcing any church to perform any ceremony it doesn't want to. Just like now. You don't HAVE to marry any couple whose marriage you don't sanction. It's why you do interviews with couples prior to marriage.

But marriage is a civil right under the law, and all citizens should have access to the same rights. And now that DOMA is dead, you'll see in practice how no one is going to force any pastor or church's hand.

President George H.W. Bush and wife Barbara are witnesses at gay wedding:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...iage-in-maine/

Hey, if two people, of the same sex love each other and know in their hearts they are ready to make that commitment, then to me, that's great!

Giada Guest
    We've had a SC Justice perform a same sex marriage recently, Ginsberg, and currently Boies and Olson, attorneys who appeared before the Supreme Court against Prop 8 in CA are now in Virginia arguing against the denial of rights for same sex couples.

Locally, San Diego, one lone yahoo chose to fight against issuing marriage licenses and quickly recinded his useless fight. Kamala Harris, AG of California has said, "Refuse to issue the license, face citation and jail."

Prop 8 ... Is dead

I love the fact that more states are approving gay marriage. Two friends of mine who are very high profile community leaders and have been together for 25+ years have just been interviewed by a national magazine (they also snagged the cover). They're working with leaders around the country to help holdout states get gay marriage passed in their states too, being why. Yay!

While gay marriage isn't legally performed in Oregon yet, I just saw on the news that we're now legally recognizing gay marriages from other states - yay! This is a step in the right direction that hopefully paves the way for gay marriages becoming legal to perform here.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    While gay marriage isn't legally performed in Oregon yet, I just saw on the news that we're now legally recognizing gay marriages from other states - yay! This is a step in the right direction that hopefully paves the way for gay marriages becoming legal to perform here.
    I hope so too!!!
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

pwem Guest
    Excellent news!

New Jersey just passed it too.

Next!
    "Death has come to your little town, Sheriff." -Dr. Loomis

Seconded!

I know a lot of people won't agree with me, but I think this should be a civil rights issue and taken up by the federal government. I think it should be legal in the entire United States.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

Yay, no issues at all.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

It'll be legal in all 50 states within the next 10 years. A gay friend who formerly had said that he was not interested in marrying his partner changed his mind once he found out that they'd been denying themselves some benefits by not marrying. One of which is that his partner has better health coverage at work so they've been utilizing the partner' health care plan for 10 years which covers 'domestic partners'; before they married it cost them $ 3500. a year in fees. Now that they're married, that amount has been diminished to zip.
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

A federal law is being bandied about right now since so many states are adopting their own gay marriage laws. So, more good news.

If this subject continues to be left "up to the states to decide"..gotta wonder which state in the south will be the first to allow gay marriage ??

I am leaning towards Virginia since the Virginia DC suburbs, Hampton Roads ( Norfolk-Virginia Beach ), Richmond, Charlottesville ( home of the University of Virginia and Roanoke tend to be gay friendly and that takes care of a lot of Virginia's population. West Virginia ( OK not really a southern state but it might as well be one ) as far as I know never had a public vote on this issue. Florida ?? Georgia ??

Maybe Louisiana. I lived in the French Quarter years ago, traveled around the state extensively and they have a huge gay population. Many areas cater to gay folks specifically down there as well. People are out and proud and accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by McCourt View Post
    I know a lot of people won't agree with me, but I think this should be a civil rights issue and taken up by the federal government. I think it should be legal in the entire United States.
    I do agree with you 100% McCourt....equality for all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Casper, I love you so much baby boy... waking up with you in the house is a blessing every day! Thank you for filling our home and hearts with so much love, joy, laughter and ever so sweet Sammy smiles! We belong together! XOXOX

Native American Tribe issues marriage licenses to same-sex couples:
    http://newsok.com/article/3896473

Yay!

CodeBlew Guest
    Native American Tribe issues marriage licenses to same-sex couples:
    http://newsok.com/article/3896473
    Several tribes have SSM:"Same-sex marriage is possible in the Coquille Tribe (Oregon) since 2008, the Suquamish tribe (Washington) since 2011 and the Confederated Tribes of the Colville Reservation, Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa Indians (Michigan), Pokagon Band of Potawatomi Indians (Michigan), and Santa Ysabel Tribe (California) since 2013. The Cheyenne and Arapaho Tribes were granting marriage licenses to same-sex couples by 2013, without any change to their marriage laws..." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-se..._jurisdictions

Giada Guest
    What an incredible year 2013 was for same sex marriage, eight states added to the list, DOMA and DADT disintegrated, and the top for this year is Utah, desperate and floundering, while attempting to force SCOTUS into a push to validate state's rights.

Going ... Going ... Gone

Boies and Olson are prepared for the challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by CodeBlew View Post
    Several tribes have SSM:"Same-sex marriage is possible in the Coquille Tribe (Oregon) since 2008, the Suquamish tribe (Washington) since 2011 and the Confederated Tribes of the Colville Reservation, Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa Indians (Michigan), Pokagon Band of Potawatomi Indians (Michigan), and Santa Ysabel Tribe (California) since 2013. The Cheyenne and Arapaho Tribes were granting marriage licenses to same-sex couples by 2013, without any change to their marriage laws..." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-se..._jurisdictions
    Excellent! Keep the gay marriage train rollin'. Woo! Woooo!