View Poll Results: How do you feel about gay marriage?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • It should be legal

39 34.51%
  • It should not be legal

17 15.04%
  • Undecided

5 4.42%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 17 12310 ... LastLast

Thread: Gay marriage, yay!

Gay marriage, yay!

This might seem like a no-brainer, however...Up here, same sex marriage was legalized about three years ago and - despite the fact that the wheels did NOT fall off Canadian society - some arguments against it are still making the rounds.
    Here are two:

1) My lesbian friend (yes, I'm a lesbo-hag) wants nothing to do with marriage. She argues that it is a heterosexual tradition, and because of the way gays and lesbians have been treated by "mainstream" society, they should reject as many straight traditions as possible.

2) When a government extends a right to any group, it must also, legally, ensure access to that right. In other words, when gays and lesbians were given the right to marry, the federal government put itself in a position where it has to ensure that all churches agree to perform those marriages. Churches worried, before and after the legislation, that their clergy would be forced to perform marriages that are counter to their beliefs - or risk losing their tax-free status.

Not saying I agree with either of those arguments, but they are out there...
    Last edited by duster; 04-08-2009 at 11:07 PM.

Hag1 Guest
    I say yea
    Because of many legal reasons, such as health concerns (next of kin, etc.), health insurance for spouses, real estate. Putting traditions and religious beliefs aside, there are many legal and practical reasons why gay marriage should be legal.

Chevyheaven Guest
    I am like..yay man ya know cos like if it strikes ya like that than ya know git er done. No reason all folks in the world can have the same rights as ya know every one else does.

Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    1) My lesbian friend (yes, I'm a lesbo-hag) wants nothing to do with marriage. She argues that it is a heterosexual tradition, and because of the way gays and lesbians have been treated by "mainstream" society, they should reject as many straight traditions as possible.
    I'm a lesbian, and I totally agree with your friend.

ozzysmom Guest
    I say yay! Just because you are in love with a person of your same gender shouldn't mean that you cannot marry that person.

I think gay people have the right to be miserable just like straight people. lol. Let 'em get married.

Chevyheaven Guest
    LMAO HAHAH I know thats right!! LOL!! Just kidding wifey if your reading this..

Cettie Guest
    In NY state it isn't legal yet, but here we have "committment" ceremonies. I'll be ordained this summer and have no problem with presiding over a same-sex union. Just promise me that the soloist will NOT screech their rendition of "Sunrise Sunset" at me in ANY language.

WendyK Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kmed1971 View Post
    I think gay people have the right to be miserable just like straight people. lol. Let 'em get married.
    Ageed 100 % lol

Who cares really. Im with Aries and that lesbo friend of someones. I can only imagine the responses we will see from certain members though.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

RocketQueen Guest
    I'm against marriage altogether, divorce is too EXPENSIVE.

endsleigh03 Guest
    The same rights should be there for everyone.
    If you want it or need it, it's there for you.
    If you reject the idea, those rights are still there for you later if you change your mind.
    Equality, could we get some for a change?

malaki Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketQueen View Post

Don't get a divorce

I saw today that California overturned the same sex marriage ban- woot! Hope they join us liberal tree-hugging hippies here in Massachusetts in legalizing same sex marriage.

I say "yea" to the _right_ to marry, if one wishes. I also recognize the argument, as mentioned above, that marriage has historically been a heterosexual institution, and so might not be all Gay and Lesbian couples' want or need. Whether or not such a couple is married, all states should recognize all same sex couples, for legal/medical reasons and protections.

charlietangodelta Guest
    I'm for gay marraige 100%.
    We've been together blissfully in love for nearly 7 years now. I don't need to get married to show my commitment and I certainly don't need a blessing from some imaginary god.

Here in Ireland, we gays have no rights whatsoever.

At the moment,

If I or my partner gets sick/injured and had to go to hospital, the staff can only deal with our respective families. If my lady was in hospital tomorrow, the staff could legally stop me from visiting her, let alone allow me to sign consent forms.
    We have absolutely no next-of-kin rights.
    When one of us dies the other has to pay an exorbitant inheritance tax just to stay in the house we bought together.
    No tax rights/ adoption rights etc.

We are second class citizens in a first world country.

My partner and I had to go all the way to Canada to get legally married. Granted, I'm on her insurance and the state of NY recognizes us as "Domestic Partners", it's not the same.
    I love the people who say that gay marriage is an afront to traditional marriage. No, divorce is. Don't approve of marriage of same sex? Don't marry a member of the same sex. Simple as that!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

I say absolutely yes. The government has no business policing people's bedrooms. End of story.

As for marriage being a hetero tradition, I can understand that, but I'm hetero and have no desire to be married. I do not need to be married in order to be happy and fulfilled. But I think that all people should be able to get married if they want, or not get married if they want.

Gay marriage is in no way an affront to hetero marriage! Like Joplin said, divorce and people having these ridiculous 5 minute long marriages is! It's things like that that totally cheapen the institution of marriage and family. I don't understand the fact that the same people that are totally against gay marriage are also the ones preaching family values, yet they are keeping families (legally) apart. Ridiculous.

That being said, it's an ass-backwards, sad world we're living in, kids. As if I needed to tell you guys that.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

I am in favor of it for those who want it. Who am I to tell someone who they can love and share a legally committed life with or not?
    Last edited by Karma; 05-15-2008 at 11:30 AM.
    Wanna see my grandkids?

Thank you, Nessa. I'll tell you this much...with all of our gay friends....we had one HELL of a shower!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

Chevyheaven Guest
    taking showers together is one of my favorite things to do. Me and the wife do it all the time and you know what it does save on the water bill. I can imagine it would be tons of fun with more than one other person.

**Jenna** Guest
    LOL

EagleEye Guest
    According to the rules of this forum only statements affirming homosexuality will be permitted. That is a shame since it prohibits us from a free exchange of ideas as it relates to this topic.

Ron Burgundy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    Thank you, Nessa. I'll tell you this much...with all of our gay friends....we had one HELL of a shower!!!!
    Any shower with Carolyn would be one HELL of a shower.

pvezz Guest
    I am hetero but, as far as I'm concerned, gays should have the same rights as we do after marraige in terms of health insurance, life insurance, property ownership, etc.

RocketQueen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by malaki View Post
    Don't get a divorce
    I would rather not get married in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post

LOL I'll bet!

I get to do a Halloween baby shower for my sister, this fall, I am so excited!
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Lita Guest
    Absolutely yea! Gay, straight, bi, green, blue, red, we should all have the same rights. If you don't want to get married, that's your choice (That's my choice, I'm against weddings) but if you want to comit, I think you should be able to. Gay couples deserve to have the same benefits, tax breaks, all of that that straight couples get when they marry.

They need to have some sort of legal bond for inheritance purposes. I have seen 2 people stay together for decades and when one dies,relatives that did not give two shits before about the deceased, swoop in and take everything and sometimes kick the loving partner out of a shared home. That ain't right.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Xtine Guest
    i am for gay marriage as well.
    i personally do not want to get married (hetero, here) but if any other couple does, then they should have the same rights!

Xtine Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    They need to have some sort of legal bond for inheritance purposes. I have seen 2 people stay together for decades and when one dies,relatives that did not give two shits before about the deceased, swoop in and take everything and sometimes kick the loving partner out of a shared home. That ain't right.

Good point, CS

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
    According to the rules of this forum only statements affirming homosexuality will be permitted. That is a shame since it prohibits us from a free exchange of ideas as it relates to this topic.

What are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    Nice interception, Novstorm. I was just pondering how to respond to that comment myself...

Xtine Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    Nice interception, Novstorm. I was just pondering how to respond to that comment myself...
    i just chose to ignore it. it seemed better that way

cynnbox Guest
    im with you on that one!

Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

NOVSTORM Guest
    I too believe that anyone who wants to marry should have thatright. We are going to hear about Gods hate for gays and we are going to have the so called bible thumpers quoting verse after verse. I am straight and I firmly believe that people are all created equal and our constitution also says this. Too bad they don't practice what they preach. When San Francisco gave the Gays the right to get married I saw soooo many happy people out there. Their smiles could have lit up miles and miles of cities. 4 of my friends were married and we had a huge party for them. They had been together for over 25 years. At the reception they thier families a copy of their commitment together. Asking that when one of them pass that their parents recognize that they are married and that they respect their love and committement for each other and that if one of them should pass that they respect this and never try to take their children or their property from their spouses. It was a very emotional plea to their families. I heard later that they asked their famlies to sign this. I hope now that many more can have the happiness they deserve.

djdeath-hag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    I believe that was his way of expressing his discontent with the rules of respect here. We can express different viewpoints as long as we keep it civilized & refrain from bashing other members, moderators, admins...and Scott Michaels. Seems like when we attempt to enforce these rules, there is always someone who is unhappy about it. What the poster didn't realize is that he could have given intelligent rebuttal for why he finds discrimination to be acceptable.

I agree that marriage is not for everyone....some folks just don't want or need to commit in a public way....and can & do still commit to another on a deeply personal spiritual level.

As for me....I am one of "those" gay guys who wants MARRIAGE to be an option. Why should an entire group of folks in the land of the free have to settle for second best (civil unions) or worse still....nothing at all.

In order to legally protect one's unlawfully wedded partner we need FIVE strong legal documents (at least that is true here in Florida). Without a valid will, living will, durable power of attorney, pre-need guardianship & health care surrgogate designation any unmarried partner can be without any rights at a moment of crisis....or months/years of declining health... not to mention left homeless in the event of the death of a partner who has not protected his/her assets.

HagHugs, Dennis

Morbid1 Guest
    I say good for them! Being happy is whats important..and the gays
    have been discriminated on way too long now! Live and let live in
    peace..I hope to see allot of happy marriage's coming to those soon!

-Morbid1

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post
    I believe that was his way of expressing his discontent with the rules of respect here. We can express different viewpoints as long as we keep it civilized & refrain from bashing other members, moderators, admins...and Scott Michaels. Seems like when we attempt to enforce these rules, there is always someone who is unhappy about it. What the poster didn't realize is that he could have given intelligent rebuttal for why he finds discrimination to be acceptable.

I agree that marriage is not for everyone....some folks just don't want or need to commit in a public way....and can & do still commit to another on a deeply personal spiritual level.

As for me....I am one of "those" gay guys who wants MARRIAGE to be an option. Why should an entire group of folks in the land of the free have to settle for second best (civil unions) or worse still....nothing at all.

In order to legally protect one's unlawfully wedded partner we need FIVE strong legal documents (at least that is true here in Florida). Without a valid will, living will, durable power of attorney, pre-need guardianship & health care surrgogate designation any unmarried partner can be without any rights at a moment of crisis....or months/years of declining health... not to mention left homeless in the event of the death of a partner who has not protected his/her assets.

HagHugs, Dennis
    Great Post. I have never seen any one censored for their views in here.
    We all pretty much say what we have to say. The only time we get in hot water is when we "go after" someone for their view on things. That really hardly ever happens. We have a great bunch of people in here. !!

sigh...

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Freedom and equality for one and all in this country..."civil union" and "domestic partnership" do not equal marriage.

Until marriage is a viable, and legal, option for everyone--and until that is the federal law of the land--I don't think we've achieved either freedom or equality here. Not for gay people, and not for anyone else either. It's very dark ages, and frankly an embarrassment in light of other progressive countries which have legalized gay marriage (and whose civil and social foundations seem to have remained intact, much to the chagrin of those who believe civil rights are only for them).

Just today the supreme court struck down the gay marriage ban in California, and already a coalition of "religious and social conservative groups" has promised that a state constitutional amendment banning gay marriage will be on the November ballot. Don't these people have anything better to do than fostering hate and fear? Is that the good Christian/Jewish/Muslim thing to do?

Marriage may be a "heterosexual tradition," but it's also a legal issue in this country...an issue which legalizes and upholds the tenets of discrimination. For gay people who don't believe in gay marriage, that's fine, don't get married. But PLEASE stand up for your rights as a human being and as a citizen of this country. Until gay people can at least be together on this issue however, there's little hope of forward momentum or of any kind of true equality.

sunshine74137 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kmed1971 View Post
    I don't think marriage is miserable but it is hard work and a couple of my gay friends are having a new ring ceremony every six months. I wish they could legally marry so they would think twice about splitting up and try harder to make it work. When the honeymoon is over so are they. Plus enough with the wedding gifts, I think it's rude to ask your friends to cough up a gift every few months!!

Littleroben Guest
    There's no question on this one really, marriage should be an option for any couple.

lisalouver Guest
    I'm for it, always have been and always will be.

Don't have a dog in that hunt.

Many people believe that gay marriage "cheapens" the sanctity of the marriage vows. I guess that's their perogative to believe what they want. I simply think it's none of my business. There is nothing a gay person can do to "cheapen" the vows I took with my husband. I don't really understand how it "cheapens" anything, but that's what I hear down here where I live.

Sorry, guys - that's just not an issue that I concern myself too much with.
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

Quote Originally Posted by Littleroben View Post
    There's no question on this one really, marriage should be an option for any couple.
    I agree wholeheartedly. It's *2008*, for Chrissakes. When are we coming out of the Dark Ages on this one?

NOVSTORM Guest
    You know for the "land of the free" and for all of our going to war to help other countries gain civil rights ,mayvbe our Govt should stop and take a look at the way we discriminate against others ourselves. Some want the constitution to be changed that only a marriage between male and female allowed. If we were truly "free" we wouldn't be mixing church with state, or ever having to go to court to give the people a "right" to get married. I remember when it was illegal for whites and blacks to marry and when my brother fell in love with a Korean school teacher while he was in the war over there, he was denied the right to marry her or to bring her to the USA.
    I think this is good what happened today and I hope we grow more and more everyday so we are truly a free country and we all are "equal".

Chevyheaven Guest
    I think Richard Simmons is cool!!

mel306 Guest
    So many comments, so little space...oh wait I can type all I want.

1. Always been for it. Why not? There is no reason why two people can live together, but cannot have a piece of paper that says they can. I am straight with many gay friends, not one of them threatens me with their love life.

2. I wish we could extend domestic partnerships to include people who just chose not to marry but picked a friend who could share health insurance and what not.

3. Heteros who are against it may not want you to be on the same level as them because they look at gays as a lower class of people. Granting marriage would not keep gays under them. To remedy this I suggest saying you no longer want marriage. This will make them throw it at you.

4. I love that this forum is so gay friendly. It seems to attract a less bigoted group of people here overall.

derbingle Guest
    Alright, I'll bite.
    I'm against homosexual marriage. Why?
    First, I'm a pastor and can't see my way through, or around, the obvious Biblical prohibition on same sex relationships. I also am smart enough to know that many don't share my beliefs. However, I also am smart enough to know that there are all sorts of people out there that are in same sex relationships. And you won't find me saying any of the stupid shit that those who disagree with me might put in my mouth. I firmly believe that God loves all people, but that does not mean that He approves of what we do.
    From a practical perspective, it is true that I am concerned about what it may mean for me in a practical sense when, notice that I said "when" not if, same sex marriage becomes legal throughout the US. I hold a view that will be seen as discriminatory and already is seen that way by many in this forum. Will I be forced to bless a relationship that I don't think matches God's expectations for us? I simply cannot as a matter of conscience preside at a same sex "marriage" ceremony.
    More later if wanted.