Thread: John Phillip Law

John Phillip Law

John Phillip Law (September 7, 1937 - May 13, 2008) was an American film actor, with more than a hundred movie roles to his credit.
    He is best known for his roles as the blind angel Pygar in the science fiction classic Barbarella. Besides Barbarella, a few of Law's movies have become cult classics, including Danger: Diabolik, The Golden Voyage of Sinbad, Death Rides a Horse, Attack Force Z, and The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming.
    Law died Tuesday at his Los Angeles home. The cause of death was not announced.
    Last edited by Serendipity09; 07-23-2009 at 01:16 AM.

**Jenna** Guest
    I've never heard of him but thats too bad. RIP John Phillip Law

janel Guest
    He was great in The Russians Are Coming. A very beautiful man in his time. RIP

I had forgotten who he was, but I could never forget Barbarella. Oy Vey...
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

NewYorkDoll Guest
    He was in the film version of this. Tres camp.

He made a good Sinbad. The blind angel was hard to believe. His face would have been a wreck from flying into shit. Jane Fonda did have some nice boobies back then.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Chevyheaven Guest
    I loved Barbarella too. He was the dude that flew around and stuff. to bad hes dead.. Rip in peace flying dude.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SheBoss View Post
    I had forgotten who he was, but I could never forget Barbarella. Oy Vey...
    Oy vey is right! Worst. Actor. Ever.

"The Love Machine": Worst. Movie. Ever. Jackie Susann spins in her grave every time it's played on cable.

R.I.P. J.P.L., we loved you anyway.

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

An angel speaking in "tounges"?

Yeah - look over the subtitles...

Not the kinda tounge I meant.......

Not sure about his acting skill, but he was certainly beautiful in Barbarella and sweet and beautiful in "Russians". Sad to hear of his passing.

a clever sheep Guest
    I had the opportunity to see him about 15 years ago at a celebrity signing. He was most gracious and friendly with his fans. I wanted to tell him that I appreciated his role in "The Russians Are Coming" and what a heroic job he did acting in scenes with that stupid, brain-dead robotic corpse Andrea Dromm....but I was too shy; he had such astounding physical beauty, such perfection, that I just stopped and stared. Then I was embarrassed for staring. So I didn't talk to him. I don't often meet people who are paralyzingly gorgeous like that; I should make contingency plans for the future so I won't act so awkward!
    Last edited by a clever sheep; 05-16-2008 at 01:22 PM. Reason: sp

hoxharding Guest
    I read a interview that he gave a few years ago-I think he was still working at the time.

micky Guest
    For some reason, I remember when I was a kid and 'The Love Machine' was released. He was on the Mike Douglas show or something, and my mom said, 'I haven't read the book, but I thought the main character was supposed to be good-looking??'.

leeny994 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkDoll View Post
    He was in the film version of this. Tres camp.
    yes he was, Jackie had wanted---ugh i cannot remember who--a football player instead of him but the studio insisted.

Jaynrand Guest
    Yup Brian Kelly from "Flipper" had been cast as the lead in The Love Machine, but had a terrible motorcycle accident, so JPL was hired at the last minute because the production was scheduled to go. That's why some of his clothes don't fit very well....they were made for Brian Kelly.

NewYorkDoll Guest
    The theme to The Love Machine is stuck in my head while reading this thread.

Dionne Warwick ::He's Robin Stone, he's moving on:: Unintentionally hilarious song.

The movie is so bad it makes Valley of the Dolls seem like Citizen Kane.

i think i am the only one who likes Barbarella.....and he is one of the reasons for it.
    RIP Pygar.....your acting was better than Jane's...
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

NewYorkDoll Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrwzeigle View Post
    i think i am the only one who likes Barbarella.....and he is one of the reasons for it.
    RIP Pygar.....your acting was better than Jane's...

No. I love it. He was perfect in it.

leeny994 Guest
    okay now i remember it was Frank Gifford who Jackie Susann wanted for the Love Machine----then Brian kelly was cast and then had the accident and thats how John Phillip Law got the part

NewYorkDoll Guest
    Frank Gifford? That would have been hilarious.

cherryghost Guest
    I always thought he was beautiful and perfect in that role. He didnt need to act he was a visual experience