Thread: Wesley Willis

Wesley Willis

The schizophrenic musician and artist from the Chicago area.Passed away from leukemia in 2003. Any fans?

Death Hag Chris Guest
    can't say i'm a FAN! but he was interesting. I met him once in '97 at The Expo Of The Extreme in Chicago (he was performing on night 3). he was walking around carrying a backpack full of his cd's. I was drunk as hell, and decided to say hi to him, since I remembered him from the Mancow radio show. the guy asked if I wanted to buy a cd, I said no..and he head butted me (nicely) about 5 times. finally I said okay i'll buy a cd. for $10 a got the cd, and he signed it for me. about 7 years ago I gave it to my buddy when I found out HE was a fan. and sure as shit, Wesley kicks the bucket not long after. man, I was so pissed for giving that sucker away. I could have made a few buck on eBay because of the signature. oh well....rest in peace big guy.

Tugboat25 Guest
    I heard him on Howard Stern years ago and man, that guy was a real jerk. His behavior on the radio was completely crass and very rude.
    Maybe he was having a bad day? (doubtful).

Quote Originally Posted by Tugboat25 View Post
    I heard him on Howard Stern years ago and man, that guy was a real jerk. His behavior on the radio was completely crass and very rude.
    Maybe he was having a bad day? (doubtful).
    The guy was semi retarded. He's allowed to be rude

Tugboat25 Guest
    Well I didn't know that Jefe and they sure didn't state it in the interview.
    I have been around a number of mentally handicapped people in my life and they haven't been rude at all.
    Maybe it was the part of him that wasn't retarded that was a Dick?

He was definitely a little bit different. His whole musical career was sort of started by a couple of guys from the Chicago music scene who thought they were helping him out some. Unfortunately, I think he began to think he was a little better than he really was. If you ever listen to his music (trust me, my husband has a TON of his "Christmas stuff...") it all sounds the same. He used to love to use an ad logo at the end (our fav, Kris Kringle was a car thief, ends with "Mitsubushi... the word is getting around.") ????

he was quite menacing to be around, too. About 6'2, or 6'3, HUGE, but usually gentle as a baby. Back in the old days of Wicker Park!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chirock View Post
    He was definitely a little bit different. His whole musical career was sort of started by a couple of guys from the Chicago music scene who thought they were helping him out some. Unfortunately, I think he began to think he was a little better than he really was. If you ever listen to his music (trust me, my husband has a TON of his "Christmas stuff...") it all sounds the same. He used to love to use an ad logo at the end (our fav, Kris Kringle was a car thief, ends with "Mitsubushi... the word is getting around.") ????

he was quite menacing to be around, too. About 6'2, or 6'3, HUGE, but usually gentle as a baby. Back in the old days of Wicker Park!!!
    "Rock over London, rock over Chicago,.... Pontiac, we drive excitement!"

motherogod Guest
    I LOVED "Vampire Bat" and always want to hear it this time of year. A friend made me a CD of his... suck a moose cock, etc... And the Bill Clinton song were on there, too. Some stupid client of mine swiped it... I hate kids.

yes, a fan and I was so sad to hear he'd passed! My boss' son met him several times apparently... JEALOUS!

Morrissey Guest
    I loved Wesley Willis a lot. In school once, we had to watch that Super Size Me documentary, and the highlight of it was "Rock 'n' Roll McDonalds" being played. I screamed out "Wesley Willis!"

Unfortunately, only one other guy replied in excitement.

I love seeing people's face's when they here a Wesley Willis song for the first time.

lowblowmonroe Guest
    I saw him in Cincinnati Ohio years ago at a laundrymat/venue and I have never been headbutted harder in my entire life... he had a nice "permanent" knot on his forehead from where he constantly would headbutt people and make them say "RAAAR!" very um novel...

SistaSara Guest
    When I was a teenager I interned at American Recordings. Rick Rubin gave Wesley Willis a deal aftering hearing him on KROQ. And he cut an album. I think it was only one. He had one Casio keyboard that he played all his songs on. I remember hearing that he did move a few units...but nothing big time.

"My name is Wesley Willis...I work hard for American Recordings..."

He was great! Altho the day he came in to meet with Rick and he kept playing the same pre-recorded Casio beat line...over and over. It became like nails on a chalkboard.

Wow...I haven't thought about WW in a long time....thanks for bringing those memories back. I didn't know that he died. :-(

Living as a homeless man in Chicago can take a toll on one I guess.

newsocks Guest
    <3him.
    i havent listened to a song of his in YEARS!!

"Suck a cheetahs dick" is my favorite

Kathyf Guest
    I do remember his story but did not really listen to his music.

broken_wheelchair Guest

One of the best shows I've been to

I saw Wesley at a show in Norman, OK shortly before his death. Had a great time. I was throwing a party at my apt. after the show, and asked him if he wanted to come. I didn't expect him to say yes, but I thought I might as well ask. His reply, I'll never forget. "No, I am a messabout, I do not like going to jail, you are trying to give me a war hell ride!". He was nice though. He signed my coat sleeve w/ a "W", and likewise signed my girlfriend's sneaker. He headbutted me, and i got a little nervous for a second when he wouldn't let go of my head, but he finally did. He had this callous on his forehead. It was a fun show. He announced one song, then would play something else, stop in middle of songs and start swearing. He had no shirt on and was sweating like crazy. I didn't know about the cancer, but I figured he was going to die soon due to heart complications because of his weight. R.I.P. Wesley.

-broken wheelchair
    Last edited by broken_wheelchair; 11-14-2007 at 04:22 PM.

I wish I could have seen him. The Wesley Willis Fiasco was kinda cool too, I thought. There is some cool stuff on youtube to check out.