Thread: Danny Kaye Alert

QuarterRat Guest

Danny Kaye Alert

Years ago my mother, sister and I were watching the Oscars. It was time for the death roll, the video montage of celebrities that kicked during the year. I'm not sure if she had been living under a rock or what but my mother was shocked that she was unaware of so many of the deaths.

It all came to a head when Danny Kaye's name appeared and my mother shouted "DANNY KAYE DIED? Nobody told me Danny Kaye died!!!" and it has turned into a family tradition - A Danny Kaye alert. This has spread to my friends as well and is a fun little pasttime. Nothing pleases my mom more than getting a Danny Kaye alert out before I do. She got me today with Eddy Arnold and was very smug about it I might add.

My goal for this thread is for people to talk about what got them into the Death Hag "business" and how it's spread to others in their life.

I got interested in the death hag thing when I was a kid and came upon a article of the Sompanato murders. I was hooked since than. Like your mother my Grandmother always had to be the first to know of a celebrity death's too. And she would take it so personally too. I remember when Dinah Shore died. She had to call me up and *break the news to me* she acted like they use to golf together or something. She was weird
    Last edited by eca1094; 05-08-2008 at 06:34 PM.

I got interested in the whole Hag thing after I perpetrated my first few murders.

Seriously, I stumbled upon FAD a couple or so years ago while looking for info on Jayne Mansfield.

I've been hooked since.

jerseygirl1 Guest
    As a child my Mom and her sisters would open a newspaper and immediatly turn to the obituaty section to see who died. Conversation ensued.

I think that is where I got it from. I'm continuing a family tradition! :-)

Elizabeth Guest

Alert

I work at a hospital, and on the day Anna Nicole died, I was the first to tell a doctor working. Soooooooo, every day I see him, I remind him that Anna Nicole is still dead. And every time, it is funny.

*Sigh* I need to get a hobby.

dovescry1999 Guest
    I call my sister, Yolanda, "Death Clock" Because she finds out before anyone else that someone died.
    She told me about FAD. and I got hooked. Been here creeping myself out ever since.

I got interested in Death Haggery due to the whole Helter Skelter thing- read the book in high school and found FAD when looking for updates.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

phirerednga Guest
    I cant remember exactly when I first became interested, but I do remember when I was first married (about 27ish years ago) the librarain commenting to me that I must be contimplating killing my husband, because I had read through every book in the true murder section. I didnt kill him, just divorced him after 9 years of marriage, but ya know it still sounds like a great idea, lol.

Guest Guest
    I got into the death hag thing when my friend, who had come across the site from a work collegue, suggested I look up the site on account of the fact she thinks I'm going to be come a serial killer

....actually wait....thats not funny...my friend thinks I'm going to become a serial killer...

...*adds another name to the list*.....

beautygirlsmom Guest
    Ah, as my Grandfather from County Mayo used to say, "Pass me the sports page" - only he was referring to the obituaries. It's been a family tradition to be interested in death and the great beyond. I'm not sure how I stumbled upon FAD, but I'm sure it had to do with finding an obituary or cause of death for someone.

And my grandfather's favorite line while reading the obituaries? I heard it at least once every morning. He'd see a name, see the age in the 80s or 90s and it would say "Died Suddenly." And my grandfather would say, "Jaysus, he was 90 years old! You can't do anything "suddenly" when you're feckin' 90!"

Reecy Guest
    I think I became possessed when I was a young gal. My father use to buy the newspapers back then and I use to follow the Richard Speck murders in Chicago. I use to read the newspapers and follow the story and shuddered at the deaths of the student nurses. They had diagrams of the rooms and where each nurse was found. I remember the one nurse that hid under the bed. I became a hag then. I really became a bigger hag when I discovered Scott's site like 7 years ago.

JGrier Guest
    My Wife didn't know that Andy Gibb had died until 1998 when I told her. So now when she forgets something, I'll look at her and say "Hey Becky, Andy Gibb died"

erin Guest
    i've been a death hag since i was a kid and was convinced my house was haunted ( iswear to you, it was), and i wanted to know about how ghosts came about, or were made, and who they used to be. it all started from there. when i found FAD, i was in death hag heaven!!

Rainwolf Guest

Dinah Shore is Dead????

I don't remember how I got here, but I poked dead animals with a stick as a kid.......yeah, it was a given.

mrnorrischangestrains Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeofEvil View Post
    I got interested in Death Haggery due to the whole Helter Skelter thing- read the book in high school and found FAD when looking for updates.
    same here, exactly the same.

My death hag condtion began with the assassination of JFK when I was 6. I was fascinated with the whole weeks' worth of funeral. Though, still being a young child, I wondered when the cartoons would return, and hoped this meant I'd never have to go to school again. (Okay, I wasn't totally abnormal.) I was also interested because Jackie Kennedy looked like and was around the same age as my mother, and had 2 kids the same ages as myself and my brother. Then I began to notice all kinds of celbrity funerals--- I think Churchill was the next to go with international coverage, then the 3 astronauts, then came 1968 (especially June, which Hillary Clinton so fondly recalled recently.) Along the way, the extensive shocking coverage of the nurses' murders (BTW, any murder scene photos of this around?) and the Texas Tower shootings. Then "Dark Shadows" with its cheerful procession of hauntings and killings finally made it to our local ABC affiliate and my consciousness, followed shortly by the real-life Manson murders, and well, there yah go, I was completely ruined for life.

NewYorkDoll Guest
    From reading In Cold Blood and then a few years later, Hollywood Babylon. There is a little hag in everyone but I embrace and feed the hag in me.

coleysabusybabe Guest
    I became a death hag working at a forensic counseling center in Northwest Georgia. Basically I had been looking up articles on celebrity death due to drugs (to be used for a counseling group) and stumbled upon Findadeath.com. Also my grandmother would come home and say "So and so has died. I should go get the obituary section to read why." I still do the same thing...

undertakeress Guest
    I saw Silence of the Lambs in the theater when I was 13, and my aunt started giving me her true crime books. Read Helter Skelter and all that jazz.. Got my degree in criminal justice and got in at a sheriff's office. Decided at age 30 to become a nurse now