Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Airline Crashes - Info, Pics, and Recordings

Jazbabee Guest
    I remember watching this footage live.....terrible. New yORK SHOULD BE ASHAMED FOR EVEN CONSIDERING THAT EYESORE A MEMORIAL !!

I agree with you guys that memorial is horrible it looks like its been half built by young tots with lego bricks sorry but they could of done better considering the circumstances of why its there.

GrinReaper Guest
    I dunno why and I may have read something somewhere but I always thought this crash was sabatoge.

I remember hearing that somebody that should have been in the world trade center on 9/11 (didn't go in that day) was on flight 587.

also, I wouldn't say this crash was forgotten... of all the plane crashes each year this one is far from forgotten. Some plane probably went down this month that I never even heard of.

Plane Crashes

I don't know if this has already been posted or not but I found this site quite interesting

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/famous.htm

Kathyf Guest
    Thanks tons to look at.

OCEANLIGHTS Guest

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletor View Post
    I don't know if this has already been posted or not but I found this site quite interesting

[SIZE=3]Thanks, very interesting. [/SIZE]

Curtis Radiohead Guest

Not really relevant here but I recently found a site that lets you hear the cockpit recordings of plane crashes. Kind of hard to listen to, but morbidly interesting at the same time...

Here it is, if you are interested:

http://airdisaster.com/cvr/cvrwav.shtml

Jaxxx Guest
    Thanks, good forum

Jack-O-Lantern Guest

Awesome post, thanks!

Mrs. James Dean Guest
    I've been reading that site for years now! Very interesting but also a bit overwhelming at times.

GrinReaper Guest
    Now why isn't this ever mentioned about the Wrong Bros?
    One of them contributed to history with the first avaiation death and was injured!

"During a demonstration flight, a U.S. Army flyer flown by Orville Wright nose-dived into the ground from a height of approximately 75 feet, killing Lt. Thomas E. Selfridge who was a passenger. This was the first recorded airplane fatality in history. One of two propellers separated in flight, tearing loose the wires bracing the rudder and causing the loss of control of the aircraft. Orville Wright suffered broken ribs, pelvis and a leg. Selfridge suffered a crushed skull and died a short time later. 1 killed"

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    Cool, thanks!

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Very disturbing. I'm a reluctant flier anyway, hate the lack of control...thanks, I'll spend a few hours at least checking this out!

Reecy Guest

Thumbs up

Thanks for posting this. It looks very interesting.

Bigfoot Guest
    Kewl!

Mrs. James Dean Guest
    This site messed me up when I found it a few years back!!! But I'm addicted to traveling so I get on a plane at least 5 times a year!

deathybrad Guest

Alaska Airlines Flight 261

Plane crashes are my deathhag weakness...

Alaska Airlines Flight 261, a McDonnell Douglas MD-83 aircraft, crashed on January 31, 2000 in the Pacific Ocean about 2.7 miles (4.3 km) north of Anacapa Island, California. The two pilots, three cabin crewmembers, and 83 passengers on board were killed, and the airplane was destroyed. Alaska 261 was a scheduled international passenger flight from Lic. Gustavo DÃ*az Ordaz International Airport (PVR), Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, to Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA), with an intermediate stop planned at San Francisco International Airport (SFO).[1]
    The subsequent investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board determined that inadequate maintenance led to excessive wear and catastrophic failure of a critical flight control system during flight. The probable cause was stated to be "a loss of airplane pitch control resulting from the in-flight failure of the horizontal stabilizer trim system jackscrew assemblyâ??s acme nut threads. The thread failure was caused by excessive wear resulting from Alaska Airlinesâ?? insufficient lubrication of the jackscrew assembly."

Passengers

47 of the passengers were bound for Seattle and 3 of the crew members were based in Seattle. Most of the other passengers were bound for San Francisco [2].
    Of the occupants, at least 35, including 12 employees[3], were connected to Alaska Airlines or Horizon Air in some manner [4], leading many airline employees to mourn for the losses in the crash.
    Notable passengers
    Initial flight segment

Alaska 261 departed from PVR at 1:37 p.m. PST, and climbed to its intended cruising altitude of flight level 310 (31,000 feet). Approximately 2 hours into the flight, the flight crew, consisting of captain Ted Thompson and first officer William "Bill" Tansky, first contacted the airline's dispatch and maintenance control facilities in SEA, and on a shared company radio with operations and maintenance facilities at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) discussed a jammed horizontal stabilizer and a possible diversion to LAX.[6] The jammed stabilizer prevented operation of the trim system, which normally would make slight adjustments to the flight control surfaces to keep the plane stable in flight. At their cruising altitude and speed the position of the jammed stabilizer required the pilots to pull on their controls with approximately 10 pounds of force to keep level.[6] Neither the flight crew, nor company maintenance, were able to determine the cause of the jam.[6] Repeated attempts to overcome the jam with the primary and alternate trim systems were unsuccessful[6]
    During this time the flight crew had several discussions with the company dispatcher about whether to divert to LAX, or continue on as planned to SFO. Ultimately the pilots chose to divert.[6] Later the NTSB found that while "the flight crew's decision to divert the flight to Los Angeles...was prudent and appropriate", nonetheless "Alaska Airlines dispatch personnel appear to have attempted to influence the flight crew to continue to San Francisco...instead of diverting to Los Angeles."[6] Cockpit Voice Recorder (CVR) transcripts indicate that the dispatcher was concerned about the effect on the schedule ("flow") should the flight divert.

Aftermath

Memorial Sundial

The families of the victims approved the construction of a memorial sundial that was placed at Port Hueneme. The sundial was designed by Santa Barbara artist Bud Bottoms to cast a shadow on a memorial plaque at 4:22 p.m. each January 31st.[12]
    For their actions during the emergency, Captain Ted Thompson and First Officer Bill Tansky were awarded the Airline Pilots Association Gold Medal for Heroism, the only time the award has been given posthumously.[13]
    Both Boeing and Alaska Airlines eventually conceded liability for the crash, and all but one of the lawsuits brought by surviving family members were settled out-of-court before going to trial.[14] Two victims from Alaska 261 were falsely accused of being the fathers of children in Guatemala in an attempt to gain insurance and settlement money. DNA testing revealed these allegations to be false.[15]
    This crash was featured in a 2004 episode of National Geographic Channel's Air Crash Investigation television program (originally known as Mayday and also known as Air Emergency), titled Cutting Corners or Fatal Error.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Airplane_animation_261_still_lg.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	4142   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alaska_Airlines_Flight_261_path.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	251.0 KB 
ID:	4143   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screwshavings2_sm.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	4144  
    Last edited by deathybrad; 03-01-2008 at 10:48 PM.

itsintheeyes Guest
    Thanks, Brad! Airplane crashes really interest me, too.

I have National Geographic programme on this. At one point the aircraft tipped upside down before going into its final dive, it must have been terrifying for everyone on board.

deathybrad Guest
    From what I remember they were actually flying upside down for at least a brief period of time.

Mrs. Watson Guest
    If you guys haven't discovered it, there is a lovely little death hag airplane crash site called www.airdisaster.com.

Yes, it even has pictures.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Watson View Post
    If you guys haven't discovered it, there is a lovely little death hag airplane crash site called www.airdisaster.com.

Yes, it even has pictures.
    Great site.

I had forgotten that ValuJet and TWA 800 were only within a few months of each other. I was flying home from San Diego the day ValuJet crashed. Someone on the flight brought it up while we were still in the air.

Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    Great site.

I had forgotten that ValuJet and TWA 800 were only within a few months of each other. I was flying home from San Diego the day ValuJet crashed. Someone on the flight brought it up while we were still in the air.

Nice.
    Jeeze, thoughtful soul to bring that up while AIRBORNE!!!

Reminds me of the Ron White joke,

"How far can this plane fly with only one engine?"

"All the way to the scene of the crash!"

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post

LMAO!!!

Ron White cracks me the fuck up.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

27. 03-02-2008, 06:19 PM

Reason
    posted wrong thread

ShellBell Guest

Pacific Southwest Airlines Flight 182

Like others of you on the forum, I am a plane crash hag too. The recent post on the Alaska plane crash had me thinking about the most chilling crash photo I have seen. I mean, can you imagine going outside your house, looking up, and seeing this???

For reference:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSA_Flight_182

http://www.airdisaster.com/special/special-psa182.shtml
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plane 2.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	4160  

lisalouver Guest
    I was 10 when this happened and out in Cali visiting rellies.

I remember it.

Boy, those transcripts of the pilots are chilling. Joking that they hoped they missed the Cessna and then in the next minute saying This is it baby.

ShellBell Guest
    Yeah, that pic is haunting. I can't imagine a 727 crashing into a neighborhood. The saddest is (according to the transcript) when one the pilots at the very end says, "Mom, I love ya".

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ShellBell View Post
    Yeah, that pic is haunting. I can't imagine a 727 crashing into a neighborhood. The saddest is (according to the transcript) when one the pilots at the very end says, "Mom, I love ya".
    I have always wondered about airplane crashes. I mean what happens as you go down, what are you thinking, what are the last thoughts? Just frightening. I think my heart would stop from sheer terror.

ShellBell Guest
    OMG, I could not even imagine. I would think of my family and pray, pray, pray. The movie, Fearless, with Jeff Bridges is about a guy surviving a plane crash.. with a sort of PTSD. The crash scene in that has me sobbing every time.

I am surprised I am not terrified of flying, looking at all this stuff. But I suppose it would be like being scared to drive. I guess it's all relative.

cindyk Guest
    well this is just the thread i need to see -- i'm flying to london in 2 weeks! i checked though and i think british airways has a pretty good no-crashing record. or if they did crash, it wasnt TOO bad and not everyone died so at least i might have a chance. unless i'm looking in the wrong place. if i am, don't tell me the british airways horror stories until after 3/22. ok thanks

either way, i'm still obsessed with crashes too. and i can't imagine what it would be like to be on one either. but i'll keep it at wondering what it would be like because i dont need any first-hand experiences..

34. 03-02-2008, 10:38 PM

Excellent thread!!!
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Shellbell, that is a most horrifying picture. I would need to change my britches if I looked out my window and saw that.

I'm not a happy flyer in the best of circumstances. One of my husband's first careers was an aircraft mechanic. He delights in telling me things I really don't need to know about airplanes. Oh, and as part of his training, his class got to view some of the debris from Flight 255 here in Michigan. That was a horrible one as well, the plane crashed on an expressway.

SueWahoo Guest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LzVyVPFGCI

I've always wondered what the typical injury is for someone who dies in a plane crash like the Alaska Air one in California or the one that happened right after 9/11 in New York. Are all the bodies just mush, or do they still resemble themselves but have multiple broken bones, blunt force trauma or ??? I've asked this question a couple of times on this forum, but no one has ever known for sure.

One death hag did mention that her Dad investigated the aftermath of one plane crash, and there were shoes strewn for miles. Not a single victim still had their shoes on. This was true of 9/11 at the WTC, lots of shoes but no victims. It was like they had been vaporized into thin air.
    Any day above ground is a good day.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by geekygirl View Post
    I've always wondered what the typical injury is for someone who dies in a plane crash like the Alaska Air one in California or the one that happened right after 9/11 in New York. Are all the bodies just mush, or do they still resemble themselves but have multiple broken bones, blunt force trauma or ??? I've asked this question a couple of times on this forum, but no one has ever known for sure.

One death hag did mention that her Dad investigated the aftermath of one plane crash, and there were shoes strewn for miles. Not a single victim still had their shoes on. This was true of 9/11 at the WTC, lots of shoes but no victims. It was like they had been vaporized into thin air.
    I have never investigated a plane crash, even a small one, but I have seen pics at our Medical Examiners Conference that we have each year. It depends on the crash. The bodies from TWA Flight 800 were mostly intact, albeit some jet fuel burns. There are a couple of pictures of TWA bodies in one of Badens books.
    Last edited by lisalouver; 03-03-2008 at 07:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Heres some fucjkin cool fottage of a recent near crash.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueJeC2pxxbM
    This is why I hate flying.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

41. 03-03-2008, 08:49 PM

disco Guest
    thanks, Ill check it out when i wake up. unless of course, I dont. lol

I'm going to be flying in a couple weeks, so this is right on time!!! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by adipocere666 View Post
    it depends on the accident. when valujet flight 592 slammed into the florida everglades in 1996, with but a few exceptions, there was not a piece of flesh larger than say, a hand, or a foot.

in the case of american eagle flight 4184 (roselawn indiana, halloween 1994), there was again with few exceptions, nothing larger than a shoulder, or a thigh. one infant was found relatively whole, though dead; he was probably shielded by his mother.

the higher the speed at impact, the more fragmentation.
    I am pretty sure that people are torn apart... the seats from the back of the plane usually dislodge and ram into the seats in front of them at 500+ miles per hour, ripping the people in those seats apart too. And depending on the angle of descent, the conditions on the ground (bounders, trees, mountains etc...) when the plane breaks apart, the more things there are for flying bodies to hit, the more pieces the bodies are likely to be torn into. When you see a plane crash site, you will see lots of yellow sheets covering various sized parts of bodies, and yellow flags indicating that they've found another bit.

The thing about shoes has always bothered me too. People get hit by a bus, and their shoes fly off. This is true... I passed out in the street and one of my shoes came off. I wasn't unconscious long, I cut my arm badly... but I was more weirded out about seeing my shoe and having to untie it and put it back on. It was a shoe with laces, that were still tied. THAT's weird, is it not?

deathybrad Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyk View Post
    well this is just the thread i need to see -- i'm flying to london in 2 weeks! i checked though and i think british airways has a pretty good no-crashing record. or if they did crash, it wasnt TOO bad and not everyone died so at least i might have a chance. unless i'm looking in the wrong place. if i am, don't tell me the british airways horror stories until after 3/22. ok thanks

either way, i'm still obsessed with crashes too. and i can't imagine what it would be like to be on one either. but i'll keep it at wondering what it would be like because i dont need any first-hand experiences..
    I think my fascination with plane crashes is why I fly for leasure as often as I do. When I'm sitting in the plane at the gate I'm looking around like a camera panning slowly taking in the sounds and sights as if it's a documentary of the flight (or maybe I think I'm going to be one of the survivors).

46. 03-03-2008, 11:22 PM

deathybrad Guest

Pryncis Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post

I forget sometimes how funny he is...

I'm flying in a couple weeks and I'm more worried about the germs... there are more chances of being hit by drunk drivers on the ground! Once I was on a plane, and the lady next to me kept saying, "My mother begged me not to get on this flight, she has a sense about these things, she knows it is going to crash!" She had tears in her eyes. I was about 17. Isn't that just an awful thing to do to someone? The best part was, I got off in Eureka CA. She was going on to Washington State. After my anxiety ridden flight, I got out of my seat and I looked at her, and said "Well, I guess you get to die now." Apparently there was always a bit of Death Hag in me...she deserved it... and the plane didn't go down, I kept watching the paper for it. So much for her psychic mom.

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Like others of you on the forum, I am a plane crash hag too. The recent post on the Alaska plane crash had me thinking about the most chilling crash photo I have seen. I mean, can you imagine going outside your house, looking up, and seeing this???

For reference:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSA_Flight_182

http://www.airdisaster.com/special/special-psa182.shtml
    September 25, 1978, the PSA crash over San Diego, I remember it like it was yesterday. My Mom worked for the State of California here in Los Angeles. When you work for the State, depending on what project you're working, you get to fly back and forth to the State Capitol (Sacramento) at least once a month. Other times, you get to fly back and forth to wherever there's some big State issue happening, which could mean San Diego, San Francisco, Santa Barbara, San Jose, or Fresno. Sometimes you don't get much notice to go, depending on the issue.

To make a long story short, my Mom was in Sacto for a meeting the day before, but comes home from work around noon on the 25th, absolutely weeping, and we're all wondering what the hell happened. A memo came out saying that nine of her colleagues were killed in the San Diego crash. They had all flown down from Sacto together, but she got off in LA, and they went on to San Diego. She had just seen them about an hour before they were all killed.

The next day one of the local newspapers listed all of those who were killed, and I remember her sitting at the kitchen table crying her eyes out.
    Any day above ground is a good day.

ShellBell Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SueWahoo View Post
    This made me tear up. What's most striking to me is the realization that this could happen to any of us. One never knows.

I had not seen one photo in the above youtube link. It shows a plane with a wing on fire and it's kind of dark all around. I wonder if that was from this crash too.

SueWahoo Guest
    I had not seen one photo in the above youtube link. It shows a plane with a wing on fire and it's kind of dark all around. I wonder if that was from this crash too.
    Here's the "Oh my god" picture, you can see a chunk is missing from the wing:

http://www.catchoursmile.com/myweb/PSA182.jpg

This one freaks me out as bad as the PSA Flight 182 picture does:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AA_Flight_191

If you have a DVR or VCR, the National Geographic channel is running an episode of Seconds from Disaster that pertains to the Flight 191 crash. It's on Wednesday the 12th at 3am eastern time.

dovescry1999 Guest
    1- I hate to fly. I will not do it. The last time I flew, I was a nervous wreck. for some reason I was so shaken from the flight, I almost kissed the ground, when I got off the plane.So, now I travel by train or bus.
    2-That Memorial looks terrible. Someone should kick somebody's ass for that Kindergarden design !