Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 51 to 66 of 66

Thread: The Kentucky Derby

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,046
    Just to respond to many of the concerns I have read here. I grew up on a horse farm. We raised Thouroughbreds for racing. As difficult as it may be to believe, most of the horses (which I absolutely love) are treated very well. My family was very selective in choosing our trainers and groomers, and NO abuse was tolerated. I am not saying that abuse doesn't happen, but an ethical horse owner will recognize the problem and shit can the asshole quickly. We did most of the training ourselves as a family, and that may have also helped to prevent there being a problem.

    As a side note, it always seemed to us that the horses didn't object to racing. Infact, on race day at post time we could see a change in the horse's mood, they became excited and wide eyed, and almost seemed to enjoy the run. Even on the farm in the off season, our horses were always high strung and wanting to run, they are noble animals, and I couldn't imagine being cruel to them.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    "But it's a dry heat" South. California
    Posts
    2,768
    I'm against any "sport" involving animals. Years ago occasionally went to rodeos, at one, during the calf roping, the calf"s neck was broken and broke my heart to watch a tractor come in and pull the calf away by the rope.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Newark, Delaware
    Posts
    4,079
    The owner and trainer of Eight Belles are local, Delaware Park is their home track, and they are well respected. I'm sure there was no abuse. He's also having her tested for steroids just to prove a point. He's very disappointed in PETA. They are just seeing an opportunity to get in the headlines. They could inquire privately. JMO.


  4. #54
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The Otherside of the Mirror~
    Posts
    1,707
    i picked eight belles to win the derby~ & was just sick & cried at what happened to her~ awhile back a horse named champagne for ashley had something similar happen & not to mention ole barbaro, i don't think i'll be watching the derby for awhile if at all, my heart just can't take it~

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Newark, Delaware
    Posts
    4,079
    Quote Originally Posted by GODDESS6 View Post
    i picked eight belles to win the derby~ & was just sick & cried at what happened to her~ awhile back a horse named champagne for ashley had something similar happen & not to mention ole barbaro, i don't think i'll be watching the derby for awhile if at all, my heart just can't take it~

    After Barbaro, I don't watch anymore. I might watch the pre-race but usually change the channel during the race...they have too many horses in the field for one thing, 20 is ridiculous. I think 10 is a reasonable number. It's all about the almighty $$$$$.


  6. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The Otherside of the Mirror~
    Posts
    1,707
    Quote Originally Posted by Philliefan View Post
    After Barbaro, I don't watch anymore. I might watch the pre-race but usually change the channel during the race...they have too many horses in the field for one thing, 20 is ridiculous. I think 10 is a reasonable number. It's all about the almighty $$$$$.
    ^^^yep you're right~ i was so ahppy at the end when eight belles ran 2nd & had just said to the hubby, & no horsey's got hurt & they panned to that poor horse writhing on the ground, that was it for me too~

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    698
    A guy called up my local (New York) sports radio show a couple of days go and claimed that the reason the filly died was because it was FEMALE and the jockey hit it too hard.
    Can you believe that?

    It concerns me that organizations like PeTA are more concerned with animals rather than people.
    I LOVE animals. I never want one abused but animals are just that...animals. They are not humans. You cannot put human traits into an animal.
    Animals deserve Protection. Not "rights". Only humans have "rights".

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,124
    God, don't even get me started on PETA. I respect their right to an opinion and I'm sure that there are some very nice, levelheaded individuals that are members of the organization, but the ones that I've met are absolutely and totally bugnuts!

    It seems that every month we have at least one that comes through our ranch ranting and raving about the animals that we have out in our pasture. They don't seem to understand that those animals out there are on a protected preserve and they aren't mistreated in any way whatsoever. They freak out because we have leather costumes on display, they freak out because we breed longhorn and buffalo for auctions (even though we explain to them that our animals are not sold to slaughter), and they freak when one tiny thing is wrong with the animals. We have a longhorn calf right now with a seizure disorder. We're not sure what's wrong with it, but we have it in a seperate pen with it's mother so we can observe it. We had some PETA members in the other day bitching and whining about the "calf that was choking". I even had one suggest that we shoot it to put it out of its misery. Yeah, that's real "ethical".

    These horses that are involved in horseracing already have a lot of people out there trying to stop these injuries from happening. PETA needs to back off.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Eastern TN
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by MbalmR View Post
    "Better to put them down?!!!!" How about it would be better not to put them through this nonsense in the first place? Why are human beings so hell bent on using animals for entertainment (horse racing, dog racing, dog fighting, cock fighting, etc.?)

    The answer is pure greed for the almighty dollar. I think the whole enterprise is sick. "Build a better race track" indeed. Animals will still die needless and painful deaths because of this bullshit. But you all go ahead and place your bets and take the kids to the circus! We can always euthanize the animals when we're "finished" with them.

    Well said. I am sickened when reading about the deaths of animals as a result of human "entertainment".
    "Death is when the monsters get you." --Stephen King Salem's Lot

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by marimbagirl View Post
    God, don't even get me started on PETA. I respect their right to an opinion and I'm sure that there are some very nice, levelheaded individuals that are members of the organization, but the ones that I've met are absolutely and totally bugnuts!

    It seems that every month we have at least one that comes through our ranch ranting and raving about the animals that we have out in our pasture. They don't seem to understand that those animals out there are on a protected preserve and they aren't mistreated in any way whatsoever. They freak out because we have leather costumes on display, they freak out because we breed longhorn and buffalo for auctions (even though we explain to them that our animals are not sold to slaughter), and they freak when one tiny thing is wrong with the animals. We have a longhorn calf right now with a seizure disorder. We're not sure what's wrong with it, but we have it in a seperate pen with it's mother so we can observe it. We had some PETA members in the other day bitching and whining about the "calf that was choking". I even had one suggest that we shoot it to put it out of its misery. Yeah, that's real "ethical".

    These horses that are involved in horseracing already have a lot of people out there trying to stop these injuries from happening. PETA needs to back off.
    I have a very strong dislike for PETA. I can't recall the website anymore but someone had all of these documents posted online showing that PETA euthanizes tons of healthy animals...gosh now I have to look for that site again.

    Edit: Found it, http://www.petakillsanimals.com
    Last edited by alicecooper91; 05-07-2008 at 12:31 AM.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Corralitos, Cal
    Posts
    6,996
    Horses are not done growing until they are at least five years of age.

    These horses are running when they are only two years old.

    Many break down before they even make it to the money races.

    That's a thousand pounds of weight coming down on skinny legs.

    I used to work for a large animal vet and the raceing injuries are pretty bad.

    What are we to do with a broken down unsound animal thats supposed to live between 20-35 years?

    You find quit a few of them at the meat auctions.

    The breeders will tell you it's not financially feasible to wait for a horse to completly mature before racing it. Others say they are at their fastest between 2-3 years of age.

    It's a no win situation for these beautiful animlas.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Versailles, KY USA
    Posts
    597
    You're right Nellie. They start racing them when they're two and their knees haven't even closed. What they want is for them to establish themselves and make money ASAP so they can send them off for their stud / broodmare careers ASAP. It's sad but true, and it is for nothing more than to get that money rolling in. Really, it would be better if they started racing them at 3 and the Derby was for 4 year olds.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brasstown/Murphy, North Carolina (USA)
    Posts
    1,353
    I saw the race on television....but I didn't see the horse after the race but, like everyone else, heard about what happened after the race. It's just tragic.....my condolences to the owner and jockey......
    "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's Heaven on Earth" - Mark Twain

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    southern Indiana
    Posts
    582

    Thunder over Louisville 2012-KY Derby Opening Event

    Here is this year's Thunder. First year in a few there were new colors & different fireworks. Everyone should come here & see it at least once. Biggest firework show in N. America. Always 2 Saturdays before the Derby.

    Too bad I couldn't find one that had both HD and the music able to hear good. Really it takes both to fully get the coolness of it. But had to go w/HD.

    Watch for the "bridge waterfalls" after the short break at 19:44. My fav part every year! Enjoy!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTeGn...eature=related

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    3,970
    Maximum Security was disqualified for interference at yesterday's Kentucky Derby and Country Horse won. I disagree. I watched the video several times... I don't get it. It was a very muddy track...I am just thankful no horses or Jockeys were injured in that mess.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bulldog Town
    Posts
    37,189
    MS didn't slip on the muddy track. He almost overlapped his position which could have caused a pile up with dead and injured horses and jockey's. That's the way I saw it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •