Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Porter Waggoner

RoRo Guest

Porter Waggoner

Porter is in a local hospital in serious condition...the family won't say what's wrong but has asked everyone to pray for him. He's been a member of the Grand Old Opry for 50 years and gave Doly Parton her start.Having met him I can say he's a great guy.

I loved the Porter Waggoner show when I was a kid. He was on Letterman several months ago and still sounded good. I hope he makes a full recovery.

dirttrackdemon3 Guest
    has anyone ever seen the bill dance episode where he was fishing with him?? him and mel tillis were funny as all get out on those shows!!

sp87237 Guest

Porter Wagner Death Watch???

Porter Wagoner ailing, hospitalized
    Fri Oct 19, 9:57 AM ET

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Porter Wagoner has been hospitalized with an undisclosed ailment and is in serious condition, his publicist says.

Darlene Bieber said the 80-year-old Grand Ole Opry star, known for his trademark rhinestone stage outfits, "is asking for prayers from his friends and fans."
    She had no other information, Bieber said Thursday.
    WSMV-TV reported that Wagoner was admitted to the hospital earlier this week for observation.
    He was hospitalized for two weeks in July 2006 after suffering a stomach aneurism.
    In May, he celebrated his 50th year on the Grand Ole Opry, the long-running live country music show. He helped launch Dolly Parton's career by hiring her as his duet partner in 1967.
    Wagoner's career took an upturn this year when he signed with ANTI-records, an eclectic Los Angeles label best known for alt-rock acts such as Tom Waits, Nick Cave and Neko Case. He released the album "Wagonmaster," earning Wagoner some of the best reviews of his career.
    Wagoner was the opening act for the White Stripes at a sold-out show at Madison Square Garden in Manhattan this summer.

firegilnotguns Guest
    There's already a thread about this here: http://www.findadeath.com/forum/showthread.php?t=739

sp87237 Guest
    oh... sorry.

firegilnotguns Guest
    It's ok, you're not the first to create a duplicate a duplicate thread and you certainly won't be the last! Some of us are just trying to cut down on duplicate threads in the forum and encourage people to use the "search" feature before posting. Anyway, welcome to the forum!

Cherry Malotte Guest
    I read that on the news early this afternoon...what a week we're having! Supposedly Norman Mailer is not doing well, and Moses...I mean Charleton Heston. The Death Watches abound!

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    Porter is in a local hospital in serious condition...the family won't say what's wrong but has asked everyone to pray for him. He's been a member of the Grand Old Opry for 50 years and gave Doly Parton her start.Having met him I can say he's a great guy.
    I just read a few weeks ago he was making a come back wasn't he??

could duplicates be merged?

firegilnotguns Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by midnitelamp View Post
    could duplicates be merged?
    Nick is working on that and has already merged a few...he's pretty busy over the next few days but apparently plans to work on it a bit more along with probably posting an announcement of some sort.

ComputerGuy Guest
    My Prayers are with him as well. I enjoy his music and his humble attitude

RoRo Guest
    It was announced today (10/21) that Porter is in serious condition with lung cancer.
    Danny I never knew he was gone to make a comeback..lol he is usually always at the Opry and he has traditionally started the Country Christmas celebration at Opryland Hotel...he doesn't get radio airplay but then most of the older stars don't

My prayers go out to Porter. After him all that is left is Merle Haggard and George Jones.

and Ray Price

I read in the paper over the weekend that Dolly Parton went and visited him at the hospital and promised him that they would perform together on the Grand Ol Opry as soon as he got out of the hospital.

That lady has a lot of class...

RoRo Guest

Exclamation Update Friday 10/26

It was announced today that Porter has been moved to Hospice care which usually means 6 months or less....lets keep him in our prayers!

Tugboat25 Guest
    They say Porter Waggoner never met another man's wife that he didn't try to sleep with.
    If I'm not mistaken, he got she "S" kicked out of him a few times for doing that.
    Supposedly George Jones beat the day lights out of the guy once, even going so far as grabbing and twisting his nuts until he practically crushed them.
    Last edited by Tugboat25; 10-26-2007 at 08:16 PM.

stinkythejokedog Guest
    He's CTD for sure

Curtis Radiohead Guest

Porter Wagoner

H+- isn't gone just yet but he is definitely CTD. My father is a huge Porter fan and I am sure that Dolly is upset as well. I am not a country music fan, to be honest, but][;

Cataroo Guest
    I just read this morning that he has been moved to a hospice center ... so that can't be good ...

deathybrad Guest
    You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave.

Yeah, I read that in the paper the other day. He's is being made "comfortable" - which means, he's on morphine.

Poor guy, he just put out a new album, "Wagonmaster" and just started promoting it.

I liked a couple of his songs he did with Dolly. I'm not a real big fan.

Irishlass Guest
    I saw on CNN yesterday that he was moved to Hospice care
    so the end is near

RoRo Guest
    I posted about the move to hospice on the other thread on Porter, living in Nashville it's on the news alot here

sllbfrye Guest

Porter Wagoner

WSMV here in Nashville just announced that Porter Wagoner passed away this evening. He had been in the hospital after being diagnosed with lung cancer and they transferred him to a hospice facility this past weekend.

They announced this as breaking news so you are hearing it first.

RoRo Guest

Porter has died

Sunday Oct 28th
    Porter died today at a local hospice of lung cancer. He was 80 years old.

firegilnotguns Guest
    Wow...I mean, we all knew he was at death's door...thanks for letting us know.

firegilnotguns Guest

I just got the notification at 1231am that he passed away.
    The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

deathybrad Guest
    Sure doesn't seem to be much dirt on Porter, looks like he lived a pretty respectable life.

Doug81506 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by varla View Post
    I loved the Porter Waggoner show when I was a kid. He was on Letterman several months ago and still sounded good. I hope he makes a full recovery.
    He has lung cancer and was released from the hospital to hospice care...in other words, just a matter of time. His career had just taken off again after teaming with Marty Stewart. This is sad in one way, yet good in another...he is 80 and what better way for an old singer to go then climbing the charts?

firegilnotguns Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug81506 View Post
    He has lung cancer and was released from the hospital to hospice care...in other words, just a matter of time. His career had just taken off again after teaming with Marty Stewart. This is sad in one way, yet good in another...he is 80 and what better way for an old singer to go then climbing the charts?
    "has" lung cancer? "is" 80? You do know that he has passed away last night? Nice about going while climbing the charts...didn't know he was recording again...

Morbid1 Guest
    R.I.P Porter

"The wagon-master" A country music icon.

Sad loss..

-Morbid1

Doug81506 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by firegilnotguns View Post
    "has" lung cancer? "is" 80? You do know that he has passed away last night? Nice about going while climbing the charts...didn't know he was recording again...
    I found out he passed away right after I posted.

dirttrackdemon3 Guest
    still no mention of him on tv or radio here. i listened to "classic country" on 92.5 yesterday and hey made no mention of him. sad for sure.

RIP Porter...

sllbfrye Guest

Porter Wagoner

I had just signed on to the forum last night when they announced it on our local news as breaking news. He died at 8:25 p.m. so they were just getting the details themselves. It's on the main page of comcast.net now.

I believe WSMV Channel 4 (wsmv.com) here in Nashville is doing a story on him at 6:30 p.m. (central) tonight. I'm sure at some point, you'll be able to find it on the web, maybe even their site.

I used to work for Opryland USA here, which was a theme park that was tied in with the Grand Ole Opry, TNN, etc...and I used to see him in the offices a bit. He was just a really nice man. As a matter of fact, he came into our office to see my boss and I didn't recognize him without his stage makeup! He had a reputation around the office as having a weakness for the younger women too...you go Porter!

RIP Porter.

Snoopy Guest

Porter Waggoner RIP

Just read this on
    msnbc.com dead at the age of 80.

deathybrad Guest
    Yeah, we've got two other concurrent threads about it.

It amazes me how fast he went - he was just in the hospital last week, put in hospice the other day and then gone just like that. I guess it was best, with the cancer and all...

Also, I can lay A LOT of money down, that Dolly Parton will sing "I Will Always Love You" for him either at his funeral services or some Memorial service at the Grand Ol' Opry they may do there in his honor. Mark my words - she will sing that song for him sometime soon!
    Last edited by Aries65; 10-29-2007 at 06:35 AM.

Katie Guest
    Another legion lost. So sad I agree she will sing that song for him. She wrote it with him in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by deathybrad View Post
    Yeah, we've got two other concurrent threads about it.
    And in the MUSICIAN section. Or did was Porter an actor too???

Curtis Radiohead Guest
    Porter shit his pants and left us...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21525872/

Later Porter!!!!

Katie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Radiohead View Post
    Porter shit his pants and left us...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21525872/

Later Porter!!!!
    That is terribly disrespectful. Could you have not put it a better way?

Curtis Radiohead Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    That is terribly disrespectful. Could you have not put it a better way?
    We are on a morbid celebrity death site and this is disrespect? It is a fact of life, I am afraid. I am sorry if you were offended however. This is my british dry humor...

Tugboat25 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by deathybrad View Post
    Sure doesn't seem to be much dirt on Porter, looks like he lived a pretty respectable life.
    Did you see my first post about Porter?
    I am sorry a life is over but in many ways (well documented too) the guy was a Creep behind the scenes.

Todayisnow3 Guest

Unhappy Porter....

Died this morning. The news said he had lung cancer and was in the hopsital for a little over a week.

Katie Guest
    Why is it necessary to say such horrible things about a man who is not even in the ground yet?