Thread: Arthur Godfrey

Danny62 Guest

Arthur Godfrey

Radio's first "Shock jock".

From what I hear you didn't want to cross this guy!!

I love his old commercials where he plugged Chesterfields cigarretes "They leave a fresh clean taste in your mouth."

Ummm...sure Arthur if you say so...and it did him in the end!!!

xenaswolf Guest
    Wasn't he castrated or something like that?

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by xenaswolf View Post
    I never heard that!!! He was a total ass though.

He was the Howard Stern of the 40's and 50's.

Bellfire Guest
    Close, he had emphysema lol?

ARTHUR GODFREY had a mean streak in him.
    One example is how he treated singer JULIUS LAROSA.
    LAROSA made the mistake of falling for a girl who was also under GODFREY'S employ. GODFREY had "No Dating" policy among his employees.

One night on his show, which aired live, as JULIUS was leaving the stage after a thunderous round of applause, GODFREY emerged from the wings clapping away and announced,
    [SIZE=3]"(And) that ladies and gentlemen was JULIE'S swan song.........."[/SIZE]
    Everyone was stunned, but that was the kind of a**hole stunt that bully-god GODFREY would pull.

Singer MARION MARLOWE said that he was an absolute tyrant so he surrounded himself with young up & coming talent who hadn't any clout so that he could manipulate the hell out of them.

Danny62 Guest
    He actually beat cancer in 1959. It just eventuall caught up with him.

I have a tape of old commercials from the 1940's and Arthurs commerical for Chesterfield cigarrettes says it all
    "Some em two, three pack a day."

And I believe he did! Oh the days when smoking was supposedly good for you!!!

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post
    ARTHUR GODFREY had a mean streak in him.
    One example is how he treated singer JULIUS LAROSA.
    LAROSA made the mistake of falling for a girl who was also under GODFREY'S employ. GODFREY had "No Dating" policy among his employees.

One night on his show, which aired live, as JULIUS was leaving the stage after a thunderous round of applause, GODFREY emerged from the wings clapping away and announced,
    [SIZE=3]"(And) that ladies and gentlemen was JULIE'S swan song.........."[/SIZE]
    Everyone was stunned, but that was the kind of a**hole stunt that bully-god GODFREY would pull.

Singer MARION MARLOWE said that he was an absolute tyrant so he surrounded himself with young up & coming talent who hadn't any clout so that he could manipulate the hell out of them.
    I have a copy of that show. He was so nice and friendly to Larosa. Then lowered the boom!!

CBS said to arthur "you hired him on the air why don't you fire him on the air?"

onehunglow Guest
    I may be wrong but it seems he was a bomber pilot in WWII. I know he was a pilot and had a close call.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by onehunglow View Post
    I may be wrong but it seems he was a bomber pilot in WWII. I know he was a pilot and had a close call.

Here is the story on his flying days:

Godfrey learned to fly in the 1930s while doing radio in the Washington, DC area, starting out with gliders, then learning to fly airplanes. He was badly injured on his way to a flying lesson one afternoon in 1931 when a truck, coming the other way, lost its left front wheel and hit him head on. Godfrey spent months recuperating, and the injury would keep him from flying on active duty during WWII. He served as a reserve officer in the U.S. Navy in a public affairs role during the war.
    Godfrey used his pervasive fame to advocate a strong anti-Communist stance and to pitch for enhanced strategic air power in the Cold War atmosphere. In addition to his advocacy for civil rights, he became a strong promoter of his middle-class fans vacationing in Hawaii and Miami Beach, formerly enclaves for the wealthy. He made a TV movie in 1953 taking the controls of an Eastern Airlines Constellation airliner and flying to Miami, thus showing how safe airline travel had become. As a reserve officer, he used his public position to cajole the Navy into qualifying him as a Naval Aviator, and played that against the Air Force, who successfully recruited him into their reserve. At one time during the 1950's, Godfrey had flown every active aircraft in the military inventory at one time or another.
    His continued unpaid shilling for Eastern Airlines earned him the undying gratitude of good friend Eddie Rickenbacker, the WWI flying ace who was the President of the airline. He was such a good friend of the airline that Rickenbacker took a retiring DC-3, fitted it out with an executive interior and DC-4 engines, and presented it to Godfrey, who then used it to commute to the studios in New York City from his huge Leesburg, Virginia farm every Sunday night. Such a quid pro quo would nowadays bring charges of conflict of interest, but in the context of the early 1950s, nothing was said.
    The new DC-3 was so powerful (and noisy) that the Town of Leesburg ended up moving its airport. The original Leesburg airport, which Godfrey owned and referred to affectionately as "The Old Cow Pasture" on his show, was less than a mile from the center of town, and residents had come to expect rattling windows and crashing dishes every Sunday evening and Friday afternoon.
    In 1960, Godfrey proposed building a new airport by selling the old field, and donating a portion of the sale to a local group. Since Godfrey funded the majority of the airport, it is now known as Leesburg Executive Airport at Godfrey Field. He also was known for flying a Navion, a smaller single-engined airplane, as well as a Lockheed Jetstar, and in later years a Beech Baron and a Beech Duke, registration number N1M.
    In January 1954, Godfrey buzzed the control tower of Teterboro Airport in his Douglas DC-3. His license was suspended for six months. Godfrey claimed the windy conditions that day required him to turn immediately after takeoff, but in fact he was peeved with the tower because they wouldn't give him the runway he asked for. A similar event occurred while he flew near Chicago in 1956, though no sanctions were imposed. These incidents, in the wake of the controversies that swirled around Godfrey after his firing of Julius LaRosa, only further underscored the differences between his private and public persona.
    Godfrey had been in pain since the 1931 car crash that damaged his hip. In 1953, he underwent pioneering hip replacement surgery in Boston using an early plastic artificial hip joint. The operation was successful and he returned to the show to the delight of his vast audience. CBS was so concerned about losing his audience that during his recovery, he broadcast live from his Beacon Hill estate near Leesburg, the signal carried by microwave towers built on the property

xenaswolf Guest
    Can't remember where I read he had been castrated and can't seem to find anything on the net

Danny62 Guest
    Can't remember where I read he had been castrated and can't seem to find anything on the net
    Chemically or chopped off??

Did they do it chemically in those days??

poppie Guest
    I was stationed at Offutt AFB in Omaha, Nebraska during the late 1950's. Godfrey was a tight buddy with SAC Commander, General Curtis E. LeMay. On one Saturday as I was working on the flight line, we got a call to stop all traffic on the flight line, no traffic in or out on the runways. Perhaps 30 minutes later a light aircraft lands, taxis to the waiting staff car, and out comes Arthur Godfrey. I will never forget that sight.

Jaxxx Guest
    Own 4 acre's of his old beacon hill farm in leesburg actually hamilton v a , nice land

FannyB1923 Guest
    Wow- I'm in the wayback machine now. It's 1957 and I'm about 4. We all went down to San Diego to see some show in a stadium and Arthur Godfrey and Goldie, his beautiful palomino, are there. I don't remember a thing about the rest of the show, but he and Goldie did a little dance and it was great!

He was such a BIG star in the 50's. Still on radio, did the daytime show and Talent Scouts. Now you have to be a certain age to remember him. Everybody else is like, WHO?

Cathy J. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan7962 View Post
    He actually beat cancer in 1959. It just eventuall caught up with him.

I have a tape of old commercials from the 1940's and Arthurs commerical for Chesterfield cigarrettes says it all
    "Some em two, three pack a day."

And I believe he did! Oh the days when smoking was supposedly good for you!!!
    EVERYONE pretty much did cigarette ads back then. From Godfrey and Jack Benny to Lucy & Desi to Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore to even Fred and Wilma Flintstone ( people seem to forget now that those early Flintstone cartoons were sponsored by Winston Cigarettes ).

Years ago I had that chance to hear a three hour local Northern Virginia broadcast of Godfrey when he did the morning show from September 1939. From listening to that broadcast , I wouldn't say Godfrey was a "shock jock" ( at least not in 1939 in Virginia anyway) but he did do a lot of things one just can't do today such as ad-libbing commericals ( which he did for several minutes giving his sponsors ,well more than their money's worth ). One ad he did was for Pepsi-Cola "..mom..buy it for the kids..it is ..is..GOOD for them !!". Plus he did an ad I recall for peanut butter where he spent several minutes making himself a sandwitch and actually eating it on the air. And at one point in the broadcast while the mic was still on, he got up from his chair and looked outside the window and made some comment about how great the weather was that day.

One doesn't hear any of that on radio today.

I've got a Patsy Cline CD from when she appeared on his show. Apparently it really did wonders for her career. Great CD - by the way!

radiojane Guest

Arthur Godfrey

Arthur Morton Leo Godfrey
    (August 31, 1903 – March 16, 1983) was an American radio and television broadcaster and entertainer who was sometimes introduced by his nickname, The Old Redhead. No television personality of the 1950s enjoyed more clout or fame than Godfrey until an on-camera incident undermined his folksy image and triggered a gradual decline; the then-ubiquitous Godfrey helmed two CBS-TV weekly series and a daily 90-minute television mid-morning show through most of the decade but by the early 1960s found himself reduced to hosting an occasional TV special. Arguably the most prominent of the medium's early master commercial pitchmen, he was strongly identified with one of his many sponsors, Lipton Tea.[1]
    Early years

Godfrey was born in New York City in 1903.[2] His mother, Kathryn Morton Godfrey, was from a well-to-do New York family which disapproved of her marriage to an older Englishman, Arthur Hanbury Godfrey. The senior Godfrey was a sportswriter and considered an expert on surrey and hackney horses, but the advent of the automobile devastated the family's finances. By 1915, when Arthur was 12, the family had moved to Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey.[3] Arthur, the eldest of five children, tried to help them survive by working before and after school, but at age 14 left home to ease the financial burden on the family. By 15 he was a civilian typist at Camp Merritt, New Jersey and enlisted in the Navy (by lying about his age) two years later.
    Godfrey's father was something of a "free thinker" by the standards of the era. He didn't disdain organized religion but insisted his children explore all faiths before deciding for themselves which to embrace. Their childhood friends included Catholic, Jewish and every flavor of Protestant playmates. The senior Godfrey was friends with the Vanderbilts, but was as likely to spend his time talking with the shoeshine man or the hotdog vendor about issues of the day. In the book, Genius in the Family (G.P. Putnam's Sons, New York, 1962), written about their mother by Godfrey's youngest sister, Dorothy Gene with the help of their sister, Kathy, it was reported the angriest they ever saw their father was when a man on the ferry declared the Ku Klux Klan a civic organization vital to the good of the community. They rode the ferry back and forth three times, with their father arguing with the man that the Klan was a bunch of "Blasted, bigoted fools, led 'round by the nose!"
    Godfrey's mother, Kathryn, was a gifted artist and composer whose aspirations to fame were laid aside to take care of her family after her husband, Arthur or "Darl'", died. Her creativity enabled the family to get through some very hard times by playing the piano to accompany silent movies, making jams and jellies and crocheting bedspreads to sell, and even cutting off and selling her floor length hair, as it was extremely difficult for a woman of her "class" to find work without violating social mores of the time. The one household item that was never sold or turned into firewood was the piano, and she believed at least some of her children would succeed in show business. In her later years some of her compositions were performed by symphony orchestras in Canada, which earned her a mention in Time.[4] In 1957, at the age of 78, her sauciness made her a big hit with the audience when she appeared on Groucho Marx's quiz show You Bet Your Life. She died of cancer in 1968 at a nursing home in a suburb north of Chicago.
    Godfrey served in the United States Navy from 1920 to 1924 as a radio operator on naval destroyers, but returned home to care for the family after his father's death. Additional radio training came during Godfrey's service in the Coast Guard from 1927 to 1930. It was during a Coast Guard stint in Baltimore that he appeared on a local talent show and became popular enough to land his own brief weekly program.
    Last edited by radiojane; 01-11-2009 at 05:18 AM.

radiojane Guest
    Radio

In this CBS publicity photo of Arthur Godfrey Time, vocalist Patti Clayton is seen at the far right and Godfrey sits in the foreground. Clayton, the original 1944 voice of Chiquita Banana, was married to Godfrey's director, Saul Ochs.
    On leaving the Coast Guard, Godfrey became a radio announcer for the Baltimore station WFBR and moved the short distance to Washington, D.C. to become a staff announcer for NBC-owned station WRC the same year and remained there until 1934. He was already an avid flyer. In 1933, Godfrey nearly died following a violent car crash outside Washington that left him hospitalized for months. During that time, he decided to listen closely to the radio and realized that the stiff, formal announcers could not connect with the average radio listener, as the announcers spoke in stentorian tones, as if giving a formal speech to a crowd and not communicating on a personal level. Godfrey vowed that when he returned to the airwaves he would affect a relaxed, informal style as if he were talking to just one person. He also used that style to do his own commercials and became a regional star.
    In addition to announcing, Godfrey sang and played the ukulele. In 1934 he became a freelance entertainer, but eventually based himself on a daily show titled Sundial on CBS-owned station WJSV (now WWWT) in Washington. Godfrey was the station's morning disc jockey, playing records, delivering commercials (often with tongue in cheek), interviewing guests, and even reading news reports during his three-hour shift. Godfrey loved to sing, and would frequently sing random verses during the "talk" portions of his program. One surviving broadcast from 1939 has Godfrey unexpectedly turning on his microphone to harmonize with The Foursome's recording of "There'll Be Some Changes Made."
    He knew President Franklin D. Roosevelt, who listened to his Washington program, and through Roosevelt's intercession, he received a commission in the U.S. Naval Reserve before World War II. Godfrey eventually moved his base to the CBS station in New York City, then known as WABC (now WCBS), and was heard on both WJSV and WABC for a time. In the autumn of 1942, he also became the announcer for Fred Allen's Texaco Star Theater show on the CBS network, but a personality conflict between Allen and Godfrey led to his early release from the show after only six weeks.
    Godfrey became nationally known in April 1945 when, as CBS's morning-radio man in Washington, he took the microphone for a live, firsthand account of President Roosevelt's funeral procession. The entire CBS network picked up the broadcast, later preserved in the Edward R. Murrow and Fred W. Friendly record series, I Can Hear it Now. Unlike the tight-lipped news reporters and commentators of the day, who delivered breaking stories in an earnest, businesslike manner, Arthur Godfrey's tone was sympathetic and neighborly, lending immediacy and intimacy to his words. When describing new President Harry S. Truman's car in the procession, Godfrey fervently said, in a choked voice, "God bless him, President Truman." Godfrey broke down in tears and cued the listeners back to the studio. The entire nation was moved by his emotional outburst.
    Godfrey made such an impression on the air that CBS gave him his own morning time slot on the nationwide network. Arthur Godfrey Time was a Monday-Friday show that featured his monologues, interviews with various stars, music from his own in-house combo and regular vocalists. Godfrey's monologues and discussions were unscripted, and went wherever he chose.
    In 1947, Godfrey had a surprise hit record with the novelty "Too Fat Polka (She's Too Fat For Me)" written by Ross MacLean and Arthur Richardson. The song's popularity led to the Andrews Sisters recording a version adapted to the women's point-of-view.
    Godfrey's morning show was supplemented by a primetime variety show, Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scoutsbroadcasting from the CBS Studio Building on 52nd Street where he had his main office. This variety show, a showcase for rising young performers, was a slight variation of CBS's successful Original Amateur Hour. Some of the performers had made public appearances in their home towns and were recommended to Godfrey by friends or colleagues. These "sponsors" would accompany the performers to the broadcast and introduce them to Godfrey on the air. Two acts from the same 1948 broadcast were Wally Cox and The Chordettes. Both were big hits that night, and both were signed to recording contracts. Godfrey took special interest in The Chordettes, who sang his kind of barbershop-quartet harmony, and he soon made them part of his broadcasting and recording "family."
    Performers who appeared on Talent Scouts included Lenny Bruce, Don Adams, Tony Bennett, Patsy Cline, Pat Boone, opera singer Marilyn Horne, Roy Clark, and Irish vocalist Carmel Quinn. Later, he promoted "Little Godfrey" Janette Davis to a management position as the show's talent coordinator. Two notable acts rejected for the show were Elvis Presley and Sonny Till & The Orioles. Following his appearances on the Louisiana Hayride, Presley traveled to New York for an unsuccessful Talent Scouts audition in April 1955; after the Talent Scouts staff rejected The Orioles, they went on to have a hit record with "Crying in the Chapel" and kicked off the "bird group" trend of early rock 'n' roll.
    Godfrey also was an avid amateur radio operator, with the station call sign K4LIB.He is a member of the National Association of Broadcasters Hall of Fame in the radio division.

radiojane Guest
    Television

In 1948, Arthur Godfrey Time began to be simultaneously broadcast on radio and television. The radio version ran three hours; the TV version an hour, later expanded to an hour and a half. Godfrey's skills as a commercial pitchman brought him a number of loyal sponsors, including Lipton Tea, Frigidaire, Pillsbury cake mixes and Chesterfield cigarettes.
    He found that one way to enhance his pitches was to extemporize his commercials, poking fun at the sponsors (while never showing disrespect for the products themselves), the sponsors' company executives, and advertising agency types who wrote the scripted commercials that he regularly ignored. (If he read them at all, he ridiculed them.) To the surprise of the advertising agencies and sponsors, Godfrey's kidding of the commercials and products frequently enhanced the sales of those products. His popularity and ability to sell brought a windfall to CBS, accounting for a significant percentage of their corporate profits.
    In 1949 Arthur Godfrey and His Friends, a weekly variety show, began on CBS-TV in prime time. His affable personality combined warmth, heart, and occasional bits of double entendre repartee. They earned Godfrey adulation from fans who felt that despite his considerable wealth, he was really "one of them," his personality that of a friendly next-door-neighbor. His ability to sell products, insisting he would not promote any in which he did not personally believe, gave him a level of trust from his audience, a belief that "if Godfrey said it, it must be so." When he quit smoking after his 1953 hip surgery, he spoke out against smoking on the air and merely shrugged off Chesterfield's departure as a regular sponsor as he knew that other sponsors would easily fill the vacancy.
    Eventually Godfrey added a weekend "best of" program culled from the week's Arthur Godfrey Time, known as Arthur Godfrey Digest. He began to veer away from interviewing stars in favor of a small group of regular performers that became known as the "Little Godfreys." Many of these artists were relatively obscure, but were given colossal national exposure, some of them former Talent Scouts winners including Hawaiian vocalist Haleloke, veteran Irish tenor Frank Parker, Marian Marlowe and Julius LaRosa, who was in the Navy when Godfrey, doing his annual Naval reserve duty, discovered the young singer and offered him a job upon his discharge.
    LaRosa joined the cast in 1951 and became a favorite with Godfrey's immense audience, who also saw him on the prime-time weekly show Arthur Godfrey and his Friends. Godfrey also had a regular announcer-foil on the show: Tony Marvin. Godfrey preferred his performers not to use personal managers or agents, but often had his staff represent the artists if they were doing personal appearances.
    Godfrey was one of the busiest men in the entertainment industry, often presiding over several daytime and evening radio and TV shows simultaneously. (Even busier was Robert Q. Lewis, who hosted Arthur Godfrey Time whenever Godfrey was absent, adding to his own crowded schedule.) Both Godfrey and Lewis made commercial recordings for Columbia Records, often featuring the "Little Godfreys" in various combinations. In addition to the "Too Fat Polka" mentioned above, these included "Candy and Cake"; "Dance Me Loose". "I'm Looking Over a Four Leaf Clover"; "Slap 'Er Down Again, Paw"; "Slow Poke"; and "The Thing". In 1951 Godfrey also narrated a nostalgic movie documentary, Fifty Years Before Your Eyes, produced for Warner Brothers by silent-film anthologist Robert Youngson.
    On a memorable evening in 1953, disc jockey Steve Allen was a last-minute replacement for Godfrey on Talent Scouts. When it came time to deliver the live commercial for Lipton tea and soups, Allen impulsively prepared the soup and the tea on camera, and poured both into a ukulele. Shaking the mixture well, he played a few damp notes while reciting the rest of the commercial, to the delight of the studio audience, the viewers, and Godfrey himself. Allen became a national celebrity and within the year he would become the first host of NBC's Tonight show.
    In his own way, Godfrey was a social pioneer. One of the "Little Godfrey" acts were the Mariners, an integrated vocal quartet of white and black Coast Guard veterans. When the act appeared on his TV show, Southern CBS affiliates and racist Southern politicians complained of their participating in dance sequences with white women. Godfrey responded caustically, decrying the racism and refusing to remove them from the cast.
    Godfrey's immense popularity and the trust placed in him by audiences was noticed not just by advertisers but by his friend U.S. President Dwight Eisenhower, who asked him to record a number of public service announcements to be played on American television in the case of nuclear war. It was thought that viewers would be reassured by Godfrey's grandfatherly tone and folksy manner. The existence of the PSA tapes was confirmed in 2004 by former CBS president Dr. Frank Stanton in an exchange with a writer with the Web site CONELRAD.

radiojane Guest
    Aviation

Godfrey (left) with NACA pilot George Cooper and Ames Director Smith DeFrance

Godfrey learned to fly in the 1930s while doing radio in the Washington, D.C. area, starting out with gliders, then learning to fly airplanes. He was badly injured on his way to a flying lesson one afternoon in 1931 when a truck, coming the other way, lost its left front wheel and hit him head on. Godfrey spent months recuperating, and the injury would keep him from flying on active duty during WWII. He served as a reserve officer in the U.S. Navy in a public affairs role during the war.
    Godfrey used his pervasive fame to advocate a strong anti-Communist stance and to pitch for enhanced strategic air power in the Cold War atmosphere. In addition to his advocacy for civil rights, he became a strong promoter of his middle-class fans vacationing in Hawaii and Miami Beach, Florida, formerly enclaves for the wealthy. He made a TV movie in 1953 taking the controls of an Eastern Airlines Lockheed Constellation airliner and flying to Miami, thus showing how safe airline travel had become. As a reserve officer, he used his public position to cajole the Navy into qualifying him as a Naval Aviator, and played that against the Air Force, who successfully recruited him into their reserve. At one time during the 1950s, Godfrey had flown every active aircraft in the military inventory at one time or another.
    His continued unpaid shilling for Eastern Airlines earned him the undying gratitude of good friend Eddie Rickenbacker, the WWI flying ace who was the President of the airline. He was such a good friend of the airline that Rickenbacker took a retiring DC-3, fitted it out with an executive interior and DC-4 engines, and presented it to Godfrey, who then used it to commute to the studios in New York City from his huge Leesburg, Virginia farm every Sunday night. Such a quid pro quo would nowadays bring charges of conflict of interest, but in the context of the early 1950s, nothing was said.
    The new DC-3 was so powerful (and noisy) that the Town of Leesburg ended up moving its airport. The original Leesburg airport, which Godfrey owned and referred to affectionately as "The Old Cow Pasture" on his show, was less than a mile from the center of town, and residents had come to expect rattling windows and crashing dishes every Sunday evening and Friday afternoon.
    In 1960, Godfrey proposed building a new airport by selling the old field, and donating a portion of the sale to a local group. Since Godfrey funded the majority of the airport, it is now known as Leesburg Executive Airport at Godfrey Field. He also was known for flying a Navion, a smaller single-engined airplane, as well as a Lockheed Jetstar, and in later years a Beech Baron and a Beech Duke, registration number N1M.
    In January 1954, Godfrey buzzed the control tower of Teterboro Airport in his Douglas DC-3. His license was suspended for six months. Godfrey claimed the windy conditions that day required him to turn immediately after takeoff, but in fact he was peeved with the tower because they wouldn't give him the runway he asked for. A similar event occurred while he flew near Chicago in 1956, though no sanctions were imposed. These incidents, in the wake of the controversies that swirled around Godfrey after his firing of Julius LaRosa, only further underscored the differences between his private and public persona.
    Godfrey had been in pain since the 1931 car crash that damaged his hip. In 1953, he underwent pioneering hip replacement surgery in Boston using an early plastic artificial hip joint. The operation was successful and he returned to the show to the delight of his vast audience. CBS was so concerned about losing his audience that during his recovery, he broadcast live from his Beacon Hill estate near Leesburg, the signal carried by microwave towers built on the property.

radiojane Guest
    Behind the scenes

Behind Godfrey's on-air warmth was a very controlling personality. He insisted his "Little Godfreys" attend dance and singing classes, believing all should be versatile performers regardless of whether they possessed the aptitude for those disciplines. In meetings with the cast and his staff, he could be abusive and intimidating. In spite of his ability to bring in profits, CBS executives who respected Godfrey professionally were not fond of him personally, since he often baited them on and off the air.
    Godfrey's attitude was controlling prior to his hip surgery, but upon his return, he added more air time to his morning shows and became critical of a number of aspects of the broadcasts. One night, he substituted a shortened, hastily-arranged version of his Wednesday night variety show in place of the scheduled "Talent Scouts" presentation, feeling that none of the talent was up to standards. He also began casting a critical eye on others in the cast, particularly LaRosa, whose popularity continued to grow.

[edit] The LaRosa incident

Like many men of his generation, Julius LaRosa thought dance lessons to be somewhat effeminate -- and chafed when Godfrey ordered them for his entire performing crew. CBS historian Robert Metz, in CBS: Reflections in a Bloodshot Eye, suggested that Godfrey instituted the practice because his own physical limitations made him sensitive to the need for coordination on camera. "Godfrey," Metz wrote, "was concerned about his cast in his paternalistic way."
    Godfrey and LaRosa had a dispute when LaRosa missed a dance lesson due to a family emergency. He claimed he'd advised Godfrey, but was nonetheless barred from the show for a day in retaliation, via a notice placed on a cast bulletin board. At that point, LaRosa retained topnotch manager Tommy Rockwell to renegotiate his contract with Godfrey -- or, failing that, to receive an outright release. However, such talks had yet to occur.
    LaRosa was also signed to Cadence Records, owned by Godfrey's musical director Archie Bleyer, who produced Eh Cumpari, the best-selling hit of LaRosa's musical career. LaRosa admitted the record's success had made him a little cocky. But after Godfrey discovered that LaRosa hired a manager in the wake of the dance lesson reprimand, Godfrey immediately consulted with CBS President Dr. Frank Stanton, who noted that Godfrey had hired LaRosa on-air and suggested firing him the same way. Whether Stanton intended this to occur after Godfrey spoke with LaRosa and his managers about the singer's future on the show, or whether Stanton suggested Godfrey actually fire LaRosa on air with no warning, remains lost to history.
    On October 19, 1953, after lavishing praise on LaRosa in introducing the singer's performance of "Manhattan," Godfrey thanked him and then announced that this was LaRosa's "swan song" with the show. LaRosa, who had to be told what the phrase "swan song" meant, was dumbfounded, since he had not been informed beforehand of his departure and contract renegotiations had yet to happen. Stanton later admitted the idea may have been "a mistake." In perhaps a further illumination of the ego that Godfrey had formerly kept hidden, radio historian Gerald Nachman, in Raised on Radio, claims that what really miffed Godfrey about his now-former protege was that LaRosa's fan mail had come to outnumber Godfrey's.[6]. It is likely that a combination of these factors led to Godfrey's decision to discharge LaRosa. It is not likely Godfrey expected the public outcry that ensued.
    In any event, the LaRosa incident opened an era of controversy that swirled around Godfrey and, little by little, dismantled his just-folks image. LaRosa was beloved enough by Godfrey's fans that they saved their harsh criticism for Godfrey himself. After a press conference was held by LaRosa and his agent, Godfrey further complicated the matter by hosting a press conference of his own where he responded that LaRosa had lost his "humility." The charge, given Godfrey's sudden baring of his own ego beneath the facade of warmth, brought more mockery from the public and press.[6] Almost instantly, Godfrey and the phrase "no humility" became the butt of many comedians' jokes. Later, he claimed he had, with the firing, essentially given LaRosa a release from his contract that the singer requested. Godfrey, however, provided no evidence to support that contention.

radiojane Guest
    The firings continue

Godfrey would fire others among his regulars, including bandleader Archie Bleyer, within days of LaRosa's public "execution." Bleyer had formed his own label, Cadence Records, which recorded LaRosa. Bleyer married one of The Chordettes, and that group also broke away from Godfrey. (Godfrey replaced them with The McGuire Sisters.). Godfrey was also angered that Bleyer had produced a spoken-word record by Godfrey's Chicago counterpart Don McNeill. McNeill hosted The Breakfast Club, which had been Godfrey's direct competition on the NBC Blue Network and ABC since Godfrey's days at WJSV. Despite the McNeill show's far more modest following, Godfrey was unduly offended, even paranoid, at what he felt was disloyalty on Bleyer's part. Bleyer simply shrugged off the dismissal and focused on developing Cadence, which went on to even greater fame in later years with classic hit records by the Everly Brothers and Andy Williams.
    Apparently Godfrey intended to teach his regulars a lesson, by dismissing them from his show and curtailing their network-television exposure. The plan backfired somewhat when they continued to perform for his substitute host, Robert Q. Lewis, who by now had his own midday show on CBS.
    Occasionally, a crotchety Godfrey snapped at cast members on the air. A significant number of other "Little Godfreys," including the Mariners and Haleloke, were dismissed from 1953 to 1959, with no reasons given. Other performers, most notably Pat Boone and Patsy Cline (briefly), stepped in as "Little Godfreys."
    Godfrey's problems with the media and public feuds with newspaper columnists such as Jack O'Brian and newspaperman turned CBS variety show host Ed Sullivan, were duly documented by the media, which began running critical exposé articles linking him to several female "Little Godfreys." Godfrey's anger at Sullivan stemmed from the variety show impresario's featuring of fired "Little Godfreys" on his Sunday night show, including LaRosa.
    As the media turned on Godfrey, two films, The Great Man (1956) starring Jose Ferrer, who also directed and produced, and Elia Kazan's classic A Face in the Crowd (1957) starring Andy Griffith and Patricia Neal, were inspired by Godfrey's increasingly controversial career. The Great Man, adapted from a novel by TV writer Al Morgan, centered on a tribute broadcast for Herb Fuller, a Godfrey-like figure killed in a car crash whose genial public demeanor concealed a dissolute phony. "Face" creator Budd Schulberg maintains his story was actually inspired by hearing that Will Rogers, Sr., was far from the man of the people he claimed to be. Nonetheless, certain elements of the film, including its protagonist Lonesome Rhodes (played by Andy Griffith) spoofing commercials on a Memphis TV show he hosted, were clearly Godfrey-inspired. The research by Kazan and Schulberg included attending an advertising agency meeting about Lipton Tea.
    Godfrey was a frequent target for parodies. As early as 1949, comedians Bob and Ray presented an obvious parody in Arthur Sturdley (voiced by Bob Elliott) who, in plummy, folksy tones, constantly ragged his announcer Tony (Ray Goulding imitating Godfrey's announcer Tony Marvin, incessantly answering every question with "That's right, Arthur!"). Satirist Stan Freberg picked up on this inadvertent catchphrase and recorded a barbed spoof of Godfrey's show. "That's Right, Arthur" depicted the star as a rambling, self-absorbed motormouth and his longtime announcer (Tony Marvin, portrayed by voice actor Daws Butler) as a yes-man, responding "That's right, Arthur" to every vapid Godfrey pronouncement. Fearing legal problems, Freberg's label, Capitol Records, would not release it, to Freberg's frustration. The recording finally appeared on a 1990s Freberg career retrospective CD box set. Following the Julius LaRosa episode, singer-songwriter Ruth Wallis, renowned for her double-entendre songs, recorded "Dear Mr. Godfrey," a country tune that implored him to "hire me and fire me and make a star of me."
    Godfrey appeared on every major magazine cover including Life, Look, Time, and over a dozen TV Guide covers. He was also the first man to ever make the cover of Cosmopolitan magazine. Despite his faux pas, Godfrey still commanded a strong presence and a loyal fan base. Talent Scouts lasted until 1958.

radiojane Guest
    Allegations of Anti-Semitism

Accusations of anti-Semitism shadowed Godfrey during the height of his career and persist even today. Eddie Fisher, in his autobiography, Been There, Done That, discusses the rumor:
    One of the best-known anti-Semites in show business was Arthur Godfrey, the host of radio's most important amateur talent contest. Godfrey owned the Kenilworth Hotel in [Miami] Florida, which supposedly had a sign in front that read NO DOGS OR JEWS ALLOWED. But when I got the opportunity to appear on Talent Scouts, I leaped at it. I didn't care that Godfrey wouldn't let me in his hotel as long as he let me sing on his radio show.
    Arthur J. Singer, author of Arthur Godfrey: The Adventures of an American Broadcaster (2000), rejects this accusation, citing Godfrey's good personal relations with a number of Jews in the entertainment industry including his longtime announcer Tony Marvin. As for Godfrey's association with the Kenilworth, the hotel established a "No Jews" policy in the 1920s, but this was abandoned when Godfrey acquired a stake in the hotel in the early 1950s.

Later in life

In 1959, Godfrey began suffering chest pains. Closer examination by physicians revealed a mass in his chest that could possibly be lung cancer. In 1959, Godfrey left Arthur Godfrey Time and Arthur Godfrey and His Friends after revealing his illness.
    Surgeons discovered cancer in one lung that spread to his aorta. One lung was removed. Yet, despite the disease's discouragingly high mortality in that era, it became clear after radiation treatments that Godfrey had beaten the substantial odds against him. He returned to the air on a prime-time special and resumed the daily Arthur Godfrey Time morning show -- but only on radio. He continued the show, reverting to a format featuring guest stars such as ragtime pianist Max Morath and Irish vocalist Carmel Quinn, maintaining a live combo of first-rate Manhattan musicians as he'd had since the beginning. In view of declining listenership, Godfrey and CBS agreed to end the show in April 1972. Godfrey by then was a colonel in the US Air Force Reserve and still an active pilot.
    He made three movies: 4 for Texas (1963), The Glass Bottom Boat (1966), and Where Angels Go, Trouble Follows (1968). He briefly co-hosted Candid Camera with creator Allen Funt, but that relationship, like so many others, ended acrimoniously; Godfrey hosted at least one broadcast without Funt. Godfrey also made various guest appearances, and he and Lucille Ball co-hosted the CBS special 50 Years of Television (1978). He also made a cameo appearance in the 1979 B-movie Angel's Revenge.
    In retirement, Godfrey wanted to find ways back onto a regular TV schedule. He appeared in a 1920s-pop-style performance on the rock band Moby Grape's second album, and despite his political conservatism became a powerful environmentalist who identified with the youth culture that irreverently opposed the "establishment," as he felt he had done during his peak years. He was a master at dressage and made charity appearances at horse shows. He made commercials for the detergent Axion, only to clash with the manufacturer when he found that the product contained phosphates, implicated in water pollution.
    During one appearance on The Dick Cavett Show, Godfrey commented that the United States needed the supersonic transport "about as much as we need another bag of those clunkers from the moon." The concern that the SST contributed to noise pollution is considered to have effectively ended SST interest in the United States, leaving it to Britain and France.[citation needed] (Cavett claims that Godfrey's statement also earned tax audits from the Richard Nixon-era Internal Revenue Service for the show's entire production staff.)
    Despite an intense desire to remain in the public eye, Godfrey's presence ebbed considerably over the next ten years, notwithstanding an HBO special and an appearance on a PBS salute to the 1950s. A 1981 attempt to reconcile him with LaRosa for a TV reunion special, bringing together Godfrey and a number of the "Little Godfreys," collapsed. At an initially amicable meeting, Godfrey reasserted that LaRosa wanted out of his contract and asked why he hadn't explained that instead of insisting he was fired without warning. When LaRosa began reminding him of the dance lesson controversy, Godfrey, then in his late seventies, exploded and the meeting ended in shambles.

Personal life

Godfrey was married to the former Mary Bourke from 1938 until his death in 1983. They had three children.

kimba Guest
    Sorry- but after I found out what he did to Julius Larosa, I could never stand to watch him.

although- wasn't he the person that made Yowza, yowza yowza part of the public vernacular?
    ( a contraction of of his signature greeting How are ya, how are ya, How are ya?)

Arthur Godfreys pilots licence and I think a few other items of his are on display
    at the aviation hall of fame in Teterboro Airport in Teterboro, NJ.
    Haven't been to it in years since they rebuilt it.
    Last edited by Jerseysucks; 01-11-2009 at 08:12 AM.

Nicki Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kimba View Post
    Sorry- but after I found out what he did to Julius Larosa, I could never stand to watch him.

although- wasn't he the person that made Yowza, yowza yowza part of the public vernacular?
    ( a contraction of of his signature greeting How are ya, how are ya, How are ya?)

Same here....I like LaRosa. Godfrey had a major ego problem. But I always liked the McGuire Sisters.

ShockDoc Guest
    kimba- Yowza Yowza Yowza was made famous by bandleader/radio host Ben Bernie.

I always thought Godfrey seemed like a cranky old guy, and I never cared for him much.

Kugmu Guest
    Arthur Godfrey & the firing of Julius La Rosa on youtube!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9F7DteF5D0

ajlposh Guest
    I hear he wasn't that great of a guy

One of the many entertainers of his day who had a big ego
    and liked to push the so called little people around who could not
    fight back worried about their jobs if they did.

DsplcdPrsn Guest
    He was a great entertainer. But he was mean.

thank you much. i am just old enough to remember him a little on tv.

i was thinking A Face in the Crowd before the article got to it.

great film,on level with Kane and theCrawford version of Kings" men.

Andy Griffiths finest performance.

will be looking for The Great Man.
    Knowlege Comes With Deaths release

Heaven's on the pillow,it's Silence competes with Hell

"If you don't go to other peoples' funerals,they won't come to yours."-Yogi Berra

BruiserBrody Guest
    Saw him at the Memphis Mid-South fair back in the early 70'a...He was at the RODEO held at the Mid-South Coliseum and was that year's ENTERTAINMENT....He and his horse "GOLDIE"..a beautiful palomino where there...

Robert Vesco Guest
    He had a reputation of being a huge butt hole, but he sure knew how to sell soup to all the 1950's stay-at-home housewives:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4QEZTRH9hI

Jazbabee Guest
    Damn, I had no clue that he was such a horses ass !!

lobosco107 Guest
    Arthur Godfrey was one of the most loved people on television and the most loathed behind the scenes:

http://greatentertainersarchives.blo...r-godfrey.html

This is kind of funny, but when I would see Godfrey on talk shows in the '60's and 70's as a kid, I couldn't stand him. There was just something about him that put me off. Always seemed kind of full of himself. I would usually leave the room when he would show up.
    Cindy