Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Body Worlds/Body Exhibits (Graphic Images)

magblax Guest

Body Worlds/Body Exhibits (Graphic Images)

Has anyone seen this display? http://www.bodyworlds.com/en.html

It was just on display here in Phoenix. The art is just as facinating as the artist (Gunther von Hagens).

malaki Guest
    I was in Las Vegas w/my sister & we went to see it it was fabulous!!!! totally enjoyed it...

Kathyf Guest
    I have heard it is great I have not had the chance to see it.

Kareika Guest
    Saw something similar here in San Diego called "Bodies" www.bodiestheexhibition.com

It was amazing but I couldn't eat beef jerky for a while after it...or chinese food

Gardner32 Guest
    Yes, I saw it in LA a few years ago. It's fascinating!

magblax Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kareika View Post
    Saw something similar here in San Diego called "Bodies" www.bodiestheexhibition.com

It was amazing but I couldn't eat beef jerky for a while after it...or chinese food

I checked out the "Bodies" website. It looks like the same process is used but it is done by a different doctor. Body Worlds is the original. This one looks good too. The German doctor who invented the process was quite controversial in Europe when he put on the original displays. He was accused of using prisoner's bodies without consent. On the Body World webpage there is a place to inquire about "body donation". i read an account somewhere of a family whose 80 year old father donated his body to Body Worlds. He was very frail and sickly at the time of his death. When they saw him on display he was in a running position (or something like that) and since only muscle and bone were showing he looked like a vibrant young man again. Therapeutic for the family.

I saw it here in NYC! Where in Phoenix do you live Mag? I have a house in the Coronado district. Right off of 15th ave and Thomas....I can see Phoenix College from my bedroom!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

RubySlippers Guest

Cool

I saw it in Denver last spring. It was very cool. So surreal you can't believe these people were actually living at one time. The only thing that really creeped me out was the ones that were dissected on one side and intact on the other. Like half and half...you know. Something about seeing the hair...teeth...skin...private areas in their natural state was freaky-deaky. *SHIVERS* Okay, okay...granted, I am a Death Hag. Weird dynamic, dontcha think? Oh well...I'm a freak. I admit it.

Danny62 Guest

The Body exhibit

http://www.ourbodytheuniversewithin.com/

These are real bodies!!!!!!!

I think that is a different than the one I went to...here's a link to the one I went to

http://www.bodiestheexhibition.com/bodies.html

Danny62 Guest
    Thanks! I just typed in "body exhibit" and that site came up. I do remember seeing a show about that.

I hope they come up my way I would love to see that in person!!!

susalu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    Thanks! I just typed in "body exhibit" and that site came up. I do remember seeing a show about that.

I hope they come up my way I would love to see that in person!!!
    saw this in person at the denver museum of natural history... it is SO cool!

S

kelbons Guest
    Oh my gosh! They're in Rochester! That's an hour and a half away from me!

Now I need to find a hag to go with me...

No problem! It was the best 35 dollars I spent. They show everyTHING!!! Though I was able to identify some of the corpses being elderly, some had their feet still in tact with skin and all. I loved how they posed each figure doing something, whether it be sitting there playing chess, conducting music, play sports, you could see how the muscles work. They do show cancers, tuberculosis, emphysema. One of the things that stood out in my mind was by the lung cancer exhibit, there was a big box where I guess guest could throw their cigarettes, box and all . The girl who works there told me that though it might just last for the rest of the day that they don't smoke, it sure does stick with them. My brother did the opposite, once we got the exhibit he lit one up!

Boxofpandoraz Guest
    There is currently one in San Diego.

And there either is, or will soon be one in Las Vegas, as well.

I want to go SO bad!

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxofpandoraz View Post
    There is currently one in San Diego.

And there either is, or will soon be one in Las Vegas, as well.

I want to go SO bad!
    I will have to look that up, Vegas is only 6 hours from Salt lake! Those things are chilling yet mysterious to look at at the same time!!

Kathyf Guest
    I have seen stories about it and would love o see it.

SistaSara Guest
    This could be the start of a get together...hint hint

Jaxxx Guest
    I went to Body Worlds 2 in Chicago last year, it was great, its in St Louis now, I believe they have several and rotate them, the one in Chicago was huge, it rocked, I believe he got alot of the bodies from a chinese prison camp, the rest are donated by choice. I don't think I will be donating my body. Seems like a real nazi thing to do.

onehunglow Guest
    Is that Nicole Richie?

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SistaSara View Post
    This could be the start of a get together...hint hint
    We could do the FAD get together in Las Vegas!!

SistaSara Guest
    Who doesn't need an excuse to go to Vegas?

Well I don't need an excuse, I'm already in Vegas! And yes, we do have the Bodies exhibition here as well. I was also told the bodies were Chinese. It was very interesting and scary as well. The diseased organs really got to me.

SuckMyKiss Guest
    I've visited the BodyWorlds exhibition in London. Infact, that is what I am leaving my body too when I die.

SistaSara Guest

hlh004 Guest
    ya this was in dallas like during the summer. i went for my college class. it was crazy. they even had a horse that was like that. it was like real muscles but they were preserved in a weird way. it was crazy.

Jaxxx Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by poizenvixenx View Post
    Well I don't need an excuse, I'm already in Vegas! And yes, we do have the Bodies exhibition here as well. I was also told the bodies were Chinese. It was very interesting and scary as well. The diseased organs really got to me.
    Ditto, the diseased body organs were hard to see, I don't smoke but the lungs being completely black is just gross.

One of their shows is now in Oklahoma City. $25 a pop is a bit rich for me.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

lil_zino Guest
    My husband and I went to see the Bodyworlds exhibit in Chicago on our honeymoon. It was great. Very well worth the money.

They had the much talked about pregnant woman with child on display. I'd heard about it but getting to see it up close was so cool. Very fascinating stuff.

PvN73 Guest
    we have had 2 of these at the same time earlier this year. One was more about sports stuff and how your body moves.

sunshine2828 Guest
    I saw that exhibit in Tampa last year. It was awesome!

Gardner32 Guest
    I saw this in Los Angeles, it is way cool. I went because I'm morbid, but it was fascinating, nothing morbid about it at all. Makes you understand what a masterpiece the human body is.

pvezz Guest
    This is here in Pgh at the Carnegie Science Center through May, 2008! My brother went a few weeks ago and said it was absolutely incredible! I hope to go either this weekend or next!

Quote Originally Posted by kelbons View Post
    Oh my gosh! They're in Rochester! That's an hour and a half away from me!

Now I need to find a hag to go with me...
    Rochester's only a few minutes from me. I so want to go to this.

"Death doesn't really worry me that much, I'm not frightened about it... I just don't want to be there when it happens."

hoxharding Guest

bodies

This exhibit has inspired some films and even manga stories.
    I think one of the films was Autopsy? The actress from Run Lola Run was in it.
    Manga: Kurosagi Corpse Delivery had a storyline that was inspired by it
    also.

* If I am right, I swear I read the creator's best friend'sbody is also in the exhibit*
    Last edited by hoxharding; 11-30-2007 at 05:37 PM. Reason: add

panda Guest

Body Display Source Questioned

I wondered this same thing when I first heard about this. It was at the Detroit Science Center but I didn't go see it. Has anyone else seen it?
    http://www.yahoo.com/s/810134

Maruz83 Guest
    I saw this a couple months ago.... it was truely amazing. I learned so much and it helped me understand more of the human body (I was taking a human-anatomy-class at the time). I really thought the bodies looked Asian or from Asia.

tuesdays_jupiter Guest
    the mutter muesem has had the same bodies there for many years, it makes me wonder about the preservation agents that they used.

panda Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruz83 View Post
    I saw this a couple months ago.... it was truely amazing. I learned so much and it helped me understand more of the human body (I was taking a human-anatomy-class at the time). I really thought the bodies looked Asian or from Asia.
    That's great, I imagine it would help a lot if you were studying anatomy. I thought about seeing it but was not sure I'd have the stomach for it. I have my days of being tough & I have my days of being squeemish, trouble is I never know ahead of time. I'd hate to walk in & barf all over the floor, not a good thing!

Kareika Guest
    I saw "Bodies" when it was in San Diego
    all the bodies except one were Asian. They claim they were unclaimed bodies but most of them had quite nicely cared for teeth if you looked. Hummmm...

A friend of mine saw an exhibit like this at the science museum in San Jose a short while back. He said it was fascinating.
    John Trim On Face Book
    On the internet you can be anything you want.
    It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

panda Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kareika View Post
    I saw "Bodies" when it was in San Diego
    all the bodies except one were Asian. They claim they were unclaimed bodies but most of them had quite nicely cared for teeth if you looked. Hummmm...
    How scarey is that? I would have thought that an explanation as to where the bodies came from would have been a given BEFORE this display started its tour!

Maruz83 Guest
    I just assumed they were bodies that were donated to science but maybe not. Can you image walking in and seeing a loved one or past friend... all plasticed (not a real word) up smiling at you !!!

panda Guest
    I just assumed they were bodies that were donated to science but maybe not. Can you image walking in and seeing a loved one or past friend... all plasticed (not a real word) up smiling at you !!!
    OMG! You'd be standing there going doesn't that look like Uncle George? Oh look this looks just like grandpa!

Belle Guest
    I went to see Body Worlds 1 last month and did some extensive research on where the bodies really do come from. First, you must understand that the exhibits are not all the same. Body Worlds is the original by the inventor of the idea and plastination process. Although the exhibit claims that all the bodies are donors, that is not strictly true. An investigation showed that at least one of the bodies in the Body World factory had a bullet wound that looked like a Chinese execution. The Body World owner also got in trouble with some other questionable sources in the past. And, one investigation was derailed because the Body Worlds people cremated some remains that were questionable before the authorities could examine them. I researched it quite a bit and I believe any new bodies are likely volunteers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunther_von_Hagens
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2004/jan/23/arts.china
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...5/ixworld.html

Bodies: the Exhibition is run by entirely different people. They flat out state their bodies are NOT volunteers and they ARE in it for profit.
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07175/796418-109.stm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BODIES..._The_Exhibition
    http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/lifest..._bodies28.html

I think there is another for-profit competitor but I forget the name and don't have time to google it up now
    Last edited by Belle; 02-15-2008 at 12:39 PM.

shoganc Guest
    I ALMOST went to the Body Works (Worlds?) exhibit in Vancouver over a year ago, but I had heard THEN that they had used Chinese prisoners to make the models.

Belle Guest
    They do NOT tell you any of the identities in Body Worlds except for perhaps one that you could guess if you knew him. The body on the horse is a European reporter that begged to be put in the exhibit with a flashy pose.

Belle Guest
    I dug up another tidbit about these exhibits. There have been several cases of organs and/or other parts being stolen from them while they were on display. (In addition to whole bodies, various parts are also on exhibit.)

Gorey Guest
    There's "Bodies;The Exhibit" here in Pittsburgh now. I keep asking my husband to take me to it as I don't drive anywhere near downtown. He keeps making excuses. Since my son likes anatomy I think I might get him to go. I'd love to see it.

Maruz83 Guest
    The one we had here is "the universe within".... but some of those bodies were little ! Like 5'0" !!!! But still kewl & still interesting. The